Psionics

Discussing all roleplaying games
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Psionics

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Control object is a concentration-duration power, with a max of 1 round/level. That means the manifester has to use their action for that round to use it. Using it, given its other limitations, for purely damage-dealing purposes is really missing out on the point. Any idiot can pick and throw a rock for 1d6 damage. But using it to pull the rug out from under someone and force them to spend their action getting back up on their feet, at a distance no less? That goes farther than just doing damage; until the foe's turn comes around in the Initiative Roster, they're prone and attackers get bonuses to hit them. Did I mention it's at a distance so the manifester won't draw AoO if they're too far away for such or manifesting defensively?

Plus think of the other uses. Have a candelabra with lit candles move and set fire to something near the targets. Roll something in the foe's way to make the terrain difficult or even force a Balance check. Even use it to make someone's steak twitch when poked for giggles as they react! If all things come down purely to raw numbers and combat potential, then tabletop RPGs might as well just be MMOs; all numbers, no imagination. This is a power that thrives on a little imagination.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."