Victorian Era Gothic Horror Movies

Books, movies, television and everything else
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Victorian Era Gothic Horror Movies

Post by Brandi »

Now see, I found Jourdan pretty entertaining. He's such a *smug* SOB.

But de gustibus and all that.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Brotherhood of the Wolf isn't Victorian-era, it's set in the 18th century.
Whoops... did my typical mistake of 18th Century vs. 1800's....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Brandi wrote:Now see, I found Jourdan pretty entertaining. He's such a *smug* SOB.

But de gustibus and all that.
Yeah, from that point of view I can see it. "Smug" is completely the right word alright! In some scenes, with his self-righteousness, he looks downright constipated. :lol:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

What era was Vincent Prices House of Wax set in... The wiki says 1910 (which puts it I think 9 years outside of the Victorian era) and by the use of fingerprints the Mad Magician probably falls near here as well. As they are close in most regard I might lump them in, yet while it has some gaslight and other such staples I think too much of the characters own zeitgeist or (time-spirit) bleeds into their performances in both films. Still much better than its modern remake by all measures and it is classic Vincent to be sure!!!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

If you're willing to step outside the usual London fog for your Victorian-era stories, there are a few horror-Western hybrids out there.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

I also dug The Brotherhood of the Wolf, warts and all. As Gonzoron said a while back, it's the closest thing yet to Ravenloft: The Movie, IMO.

As a huge fan of Hammer Films, I'll recommend the Chris Lee/Dracula movies as well, particularly the first (Horror of Dracula) and the third (Dracula Has Risen From the Grave). While the latter isn't Hammer's best film by any means, it's my favorite of all the Hammer films, epitomizing everything about the studio in its heyday. It has blood, drama, terrific cinematography, good score, and amazing cleavage.

Also, while Peter Cushing was indeed The Man as Dr. Van Helsing, he just as effectively played a complete bastard in Hammer's Frankenstein series, which focused on the doctor, not his creations. Best in that series: Curse of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

And completely coincidentally, TCM has just released those last four films on one DVD package! I guess TCM thinks those four films are most representative, too. :)

I'll lastly recommend two lesser-known Hammer films. Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde is, despite the name, one of Hammer's cleverer films and is solidly set in Victorian London. A new DVD release is soon to be available (or already is) in the UK; we in the US are out of luck for a while. Curse of the Mummy's Tomb is a good movie to watch with friends and the alcoholic beverage of your choice. It has cool gothic atmosphere, multiple instances of overacting, and some outstandingly violent slayings by the mummy.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

All this mention of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton-and no one's remembered Sweeney Todd yet?

As much as I love the Burton production though, My heart still belongs to the Live at Lincoln Center version starring Angela Lansbury and George Hearn...

"AT LAST!!! My arm is WHOLE AGAIN!!!" :twisted:
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".