Victorian Era Gothic Horror Movies

Books, movies, television and everything else
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Victorian Era Gothic Horror Movies

Post by Loethadai the Lurker »

Hello all!

As my subject line suggests, I'm a huge fan of the Victorian Era Gothic Horror setting. I'm looking for any, and all suggestions on movies that focus on this setting, and the Gothic Horror genre. I have Bram Stokers Dracula, and Johnny Depp's "From Hell" which are both great, but I'm looking to widen my collection of these types of movies. I especially like British productions, as long as the storyline is quality in nature, and the acting is not too bad. Special effects are not as important, but if they are well done, then I'll consider this icing on the cake. Any suggestions?
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Victorian Era Gothic Horror Movies

Post by LadySoth »

A great version of Dracula, is the 1979 Frank Langella one. In fact, I think as a film it is arguably the most successful and cohesive version of Dracula that I've seen yet. Great locations, sets, costumes music and acting. Of course, if you're a purist of the novel, you will find it has little in common with Bram Stoker's book, but it is a completely different slant on it-- and one that actually works really well. While Gary Oldman was excellent in "Bram Stoker's Dracula", I was disappointed in that movie as a whole. But it was nice to see a production of Dracula that actually included Quincy.

Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow is also an excellent, excellent, simply excellent film. Don't know how "victorian" it is, but it is certainly very gothic.

Also the 1979 remake of Nosferatu is great, in German. With English dubbing I thought it was absolutely insufferable.

I know I'm missing a few good ones, but that's what I have for now.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

I personally enjoyed the wolfman remake, it is set in the Victorian era as well. so perhaps you may wish to check that movie out.
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

I personally enjoyed the wolfman remake
Yes, I've seen this, and will most likely include it in my library, but Benicio Del Toro's performance was in my opinion, amateur at best. I just didn't care for him in the role. There is just something about the old 1941 Lon Chaney version of the "Wolfman" that seems to set it apart from the others in my opinion. They incorporated a lot of things from this classic film in the new version, but it just didn't seem quite right to me. I don't know. Maybe I'm being too critical.

Sleep Hollow is another Johnny Depp Classic, and one that I've yet to acquire, but I thank you for reminding me of it. What I'm looking for is British productions set in this genre. I'm almost positive they probably have a line of films/t.v. shows out there. I just need to find out what, and where I can get them. Thank you both for posting, and let me know if you hear of any other great Gothic Horror films. By the way, I'm very interested in any paranormal type films set in the Victorian era. Blood, and Guts films just don't do it for me, but a good ghost story is awesome!
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

^Do you mean something like the "Dark Shadows" series? That seems to have been pretty Gothic and dark, with good acting and I believe it is a British series.

Or have you checked out any of the Hammer Horror Draculas or Horror Films? Almost all of them are British, Victorian productions. IMO, not stellar acting/special effects by any means, but Christopher Lee is a pretty decent Dracula, and Peter Cushing was in a few of these. You might want to check the Hammer version of Frankenstein with Cushing, its pretty decent really. (not sure of the exact title, you may have to IMDB that one).

Hope this helps.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

^Do you mean something like the "Dark Shadows" series? That seems to have been pretty Gothic and dark, with good acting and I believe it is a British series.
Yes, this is what I was kind of looking for. I'm aware of the "Dark Shadow's" series, but I guess I was hoping for some up to date films in this genre. To my dismay, I spent quite a lot of time searching online only to find that the majority of British productions in this genre are from the 1970s. :( In my opinion, there has not been one single solitary Victorian Era Gothic Horror film put out that has an excellent cast, great acting, amazing storyline, and takes full advantage of what special effects are capable of today. Johnny Depp's "From Hell" is as close as it gets. It's an amazing adaptation of the "Jack the Ripper" story. The only problem is his character's opium drug addict persona. I've learned to tolerate this as the rest of the film was done very well. Ian Holmes was a great addition. Yet this is more of a "slasher" type film, and I'm just not into these as much as ghost, vampire, werewolf and mummy stories.

It seems that every film that comes out in this genre has something about it that puts it in the dirt. Coppola's "Bram Stokers Dracula" had great costumes, great special effects for it's time, but lopsided acting. (i.e..Gary Oldman was amazing, Keeanu Reeves, and Winona Ryder tried, but failed miserably. Their attempts at British accents were atrocious.) Coppola also decided to change Dracula's persona by changing him into a love sick tortured soul, which wasn't the way he was portrayed at all in the original book. He was truly an evil creature in the book. That's what made him horrifying. For years, I waited for someone to actually do a Fantasy film that portrayed the archetypes of elves, dwarfs, and the overall feel of the Dungeons, and Dragons setting accurately, and found myself being let down every time, until the release of Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" series. FINALLY, someone got it right! All hail Peter Jackson! LOL! I guess I'm just going to have to wait until someone does the same for the Gothic Horror genre. I hope I'm still alive to see it. We'll see. :wink:

Thank you for the suggestions, and I'll have to check out the "Hammer" horror series. I'm not familiar with them, so we'll see. :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Some people swear by "Brotherhood of the Wolf". It's the Victorian Era, but France, not England. Persoanal, I liked it but found some of the plot twists too hokey to bear. Worth a watch, though. In look and feel, it's the closest I've felt to "Ravenloft: The Movie."

Another one I can recommend highly is "The Others". It's set a bit later (post-WWII), but it's a nearly perfect Gothic Horror film, IMHO.

The Hammer films are pretty awesome, though some are horribly dated. Peter Cushing is the man.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

There are parts of the 1988 Waxwork movie that had the gothic/victorian feel to it ...
Then, there is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein ...
Quills , while not a horror movie, set a decent feel for an asylum and the time period ...
And, The Village was rather decent, at least up until the end...
Last, but not least, Howling V, I think, is a good movie to get ideas from.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Rumor still has it that after Johnny Depp finishes filming on the next "Pirate of the Carribbean' movie, and Tim Burton finishes shooting "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", they will be teaming up to do the "Dark Shadows" movie. :Strahd:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Some people swear by "Brotherhood of the Wolf". It's the Victorian Era, but France, not England. Persoanal, I liked it but found some of the plot twists too hokey to bear. Worth a watch, though. In look and feel, it's the closest I've felt to "Ravenloft: The Movie."

Another one I can recommend highly is "The Others". It's set a bit later (post-WWII), but it's a nearly perfect Gothic Horror film, IMHO.

The Hammer films are pretty awesome, though some are horribly dated. Peter Cushing is the man.

I've never heard of "Brotherhood of the Wolf", it sounds interesting, and I'll see if I an pick that one up for rent somewhere.

I've seen "The Others". Due to it being released somewhat on the coat tales of "The Sixth Sense", it was kind of predictable, but a good tale none the less.
There are parts of the 1988 Waxwork movie that had the gothic/victorian feel to it ...
Quills , while not a horror movie, set a decent feel for an asylum and the time period ...
I've seen all of these titles as well. "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" with Kenneth Branaugh, and Robert Deniro, was an "OK" film. It always seems that Hollywood get's a hold of these stories, and just mutilates the original intent/feel of the author's story calling them adaptations. This largely due to some Director trying to make his mark on the film world by being overly creative. I have no stomach for this line of thought, and it's sad that authors who have created masterpieces of work find themselves powerless to stop it.
Rumor still has it that after Johnny Depp finishes filming on the next "Pirate of the Carribbean' movie, and Tim Burton finishes shooting "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", they will be teaming up to do the "Dark Shadows" movie.
Now this will be cool to see. Thanks for the heads up! :wink:
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

I'd completely forgotten about Brotherhood of the Wolf! That's an amazing film! :D Definitely check it out.

And while we're on the subject of Johnny Depp :D also check out "The Ninth Gate"-- he plays a rare book dealer hunting down a medieval tome on the devil-- although it contemporary, its got a great Gothic feel, fantastic sets and locations. Not really a "horror" film, more like a mystery, but great! :D
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Young Sherlock Holmes - Victorian, Gothic and borderline horror (cults and murders etc) if slightly cheesy..

Jack the Ripper - Michael Caine version
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Brotherhood of the Wolf isn't Victorian-era, it's set in the 18th century. Still a great period flick, but more a contemporary of Pirates of the Caribbean than Sherlock Holmes.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Most of the Hammer Studios horror films are set more-or-less in Victorian times, and can be great fun.

And for a good adaptation of Dracula, look for the 1977 BBC adaptation with Louis Jourdan as the Count.
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Brandi wrote: And for a good adaptation of Dracula, look for the 1977 BBC adaptation with Louis Jourdan as the Count.
A lot of people swear by this version of Dracula (I've heard P.N. Elrod mention it as her favorite once or twice)-- although it is technically the most "faithful" to the original book, I find it completely boring and uninspiring. I thought the brides were quite good, but Jourdan himself lacks so much of the passion necessary to play the part-- he's too stilted and stiff for my tastes. The 1979 with Frank Langella is much better IMO, although it departs significantly from the novel. I guess beauty is really in the eye of the beholder on this one.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~