Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by Talon »

tarlyn wrote:I just admire you for being able to draw like that. It takes a great talent to do so ;)
Also, lots and lots of practice. A college education didn't hurt, either. ;-)
talryn wrote:Long live paypal! I just purchased the same item Joel did! Can't wait to admire your book, Mr Dunning!
Thanks for your support! I hope you enjoy the book!
DoctorMoreau wrote:To Talon: I also am hoping to get a hold of your artbook just as soon as I can get the money... I however have to wait for it as I am a lowly college student and certain priorities come first... Food, Rent, Gas, Power etc... Still I enjoy your character portraits immensely, I wish you success and I hope you are able to work on Ravenloft once more.
Thanks! It's for folks like you that I'll be doing a second print run. Considering that I've sold ONE copy of my 2009 sketchbook in a year (not counting the few I've sold at conventions), I'm really pleased at the popularity of this book. (Note to self: Peoples loves them some Ravenloft!)

-Talon
From the mind of Talon Dunning
http://www.talonart.com - http://www.arcane-marks.com
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

A G Thing wrote:To DoctorMoreau: That is quite impressive. I am also impressed you commissioned and artist for your games characters... Quite a dedicated course. Especially if you were the DM.
I was the DM, most of the game ended up having a highly transformational theme, which I admit is something I'm very fond of. That's why so many characters look very... not human? The players came from Earth however and even the parties elf didn't start that way... but they came to Ravenloft, developed magic, and some changed due to that, others due to lycanthropic infection and such.

It wasn't nearly as horror based as a good Ravenloft game probably should be, a little more... Pirates of the Caribbean perhaps (which makes sense, since I called the game "Pirates of the Sea of Sorrows" though it didn't end up being set on the ocean nearly as much as I concepted (it's not well fleshed out, to be frank, I'm looking forward to that new netbook).

But yeah, anyway, I just loved Talon's portraits so much that I wanted to see my own players in that form. So I had these done.

Quite frankly, just started a new game and already feeling the same itch over again, one of the players, who played Zita has already asked about a commission for his new character, sort of a Holmes/ Dr. Cal Lightman (Lie to Me) type character.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Damien Logos
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Damien Logos »

So, Eothyll and I ordered our books, and they came yesterday, along with our sketches. I can't tell you how pleased I am with these. They're going to be the centerpiece of my Ravenloft collection. In the order notes I mentioned I had a fondness for Strahd, thieves, and the Vistani, and that Eothyll was very fond of elves. Talon delivered wonderfully. The Vistani he drew for me may well be my favorite piece yet that he's done. For your viewing pleasure, here they are.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

As soon as I get the book, I have no scanner but will use my local printing place to help me out to share with you ;)
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Just to butt in, I have to add that as a Ravenloft author on the 3E line seeing Talon's depiction of my characters was always a big, perhaps even the main, perk of seeing my words in print. (The Weathermay twins in particular; I've attached my original reference sketch below.) I just ordered my book, but didn't notice anywhere to include order notes. Talon, if you are taking requests, one last pic of Gennifer or Laurie Weathermay for old times' sake would warm my cold heart. And I suspect a Gennifer looking a bit 'wolfy' would get a big response from the fandom! :)

Failing that, perhaps the mysterious S? Poor lady never got a proper "reveal," though your depiction of her in Gaz II remains the most true to form. :)

I'd ask for Celia Whitmoor, but that's going really obscure!

Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Mangrum wrote:Just to butt in, I have to add that as a Ravenloft author on the 3E line seeing Talon's depiction of my characters was always a big, perhaps even the main, perk of seeing my words in print. (The Weathermay twins in particular; I've attached my original reference sketch below.) I just ordered my book, but didn't notice anywhere to include order notes. Talon, if you are taking requests, one last pic of Gennifer or Laurie Weathermay for old times' sake would warm my cold heart. And I suspect a Gennifer looking a bit 'wolfy' would get a big response from the fandom! :)
Sorry, but all my current orders have already been drawn, packaged and mailed. Interestingly, one of them DID do a sketch of Laurie Weathermay, but I have no idea if it was yours our not. For the most part, people are getting cards placed in books at random. I'm not really "taking requests" per se (I don't want to open that door), but any "suggestions" I get with the order are considered. Lately I've done Laurie Weathermay, Azalin Rex, the Hallowed Witch, the human wizard (from the main book), the Anchorite Wanderer (or was it Anchorite of the Mists? The one that looked like a nun), a werewolf and Ivana Boristi, as well as a few others. Maybe serendipity will prevail and the Laurie pic will be the one I did for you. If not, maybe you can find out who got that one and trade for it. That is one of the benefits of getting them as sketchcards. ;-)

I remember that design sketch, actually. The Weathermays were fun characters to draw, which is why they got a full-page treatment even though I was only contracted for a half-pager (which is what was published. The un-cropped version is on my website). I was happy that I got to draw them again in the Shadow Fey book.

-Talon
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Fair enough. Had to ask!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

This thread now features both Talon and Mangrum, bringing the forum dangerously close to a stack overflow from excessive awesomeness density.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Mangrum wrote:Fair enough. Had to ask!
I tried to bribe him too, but Talon's completely uncorruptible.

I wanted the Sheriff Von Zarovich.

;)

---

Which brings me a serious question: Talon, is there a NPC you had difficulty drawing?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
I tried to bribe him too, but Talon's completely uncorruptible.

I wanted the Sheriff Von Zarovich.
Too bad, I would do unspeakable things for a portrait of my original character/frequent NPC the Mordentish Archanist, Sebastian Galloway.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Talon wrote:Sorry, but all my current orders have already been drawn, packaged and mailed.
Still didn't receive mine, and I ordered the 11 september. And since I live at 100 km from Joel and he told he received it fast, I'm starting to believe something happen in the mail :( (God, it's like the third package on 4 in two months that the mail mess with me, I'm so lucky...)

Since you did it by UPS, could you send me a tracking number for the package?
I'll send you my e-mail (the one I used for the purchase and who is also my name) in a pm if you prefer to send me an answer here.

That's just damning, I saw everyone card drawing and I'm now dying to see mine :'(
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Scipion_Emilien wrote:Still didn't receive mine, and I ordered the 11 september. And since I live at 100 km from Joel and he told he received it fast, I'm starting to believe something happen in the mail :( (God, it's like the third package on 4 in two months that the mail mess with me, I'm so lucky...)
Since you did it by UPS, could you send me a tracking number for the package?
I'm mailing these packages via the United States Post Office (USPS), not UPS. I don't have tracking numbers because that costs extra and I want to keep my costs down as much as possible. The best I can provide you with is a customs declaration form #, assuming yours is the other order that went to Quebec. If it is, it was mailed on Sept 18. I've had stuff I mailed to Canada seized and opened at the border for no apparent reason, so who knows what the deal is. Sometimes it seems that it's harder to mail stuff to Canada then it is to cross the border myself. If you need me to do something about it, email me directly.

-Talon
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Thx for the quick answer, i'll wait a little and see what I need to do after that. And ya border customs can be pretty random sometime... And usually when this one of my shipping that is involve.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I am actullay 40 minutes from Joel's, so I hope that means both mine and Scipion's have been shipped. I did get an email from you, Mr Dunning, stating you would send it this week because you were sick last week.
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

tarlyn wrote:I am actullay 40 minutes from Joel's, so I hope that means both mine and Scipion's have been shipped. I did get an email from you, Mr Dunning, stating you would send it this week because you were sick last week.
I've got two I'm set to mail in the next couple of hours. One of 'em's to Canada, so that's probably yours. Sorry for the delay, but, yeah, I've had a rough time of it this week.

-Talon