Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by Catman Jim »

I received mine, there is a 2.5 by 3.5 inch card with an original sketch. Mine was titled "The Child Fiend".
Last edited by Catman Jim on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

OK, cool!

And I'll poste mine when I get it!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Hi, everyone! I was alerted to the existence of this thread and thought I'd come on by and check it out. It warms my heart to know that Ravenloft fandom is still alive (undead?) and that my humble artistic additions to the game were noticed, much less enjoyed. To each and every one of you, I offer my sincerest thanks. YOU are the reason I do this stuff (Lord knows it's not for the pay...). Ravenloft definitely holds a special place in my portfolio and I was always excited when a new project arrived on my table. I only hope that WOtC's future plans for the setting can include me (although I'm not holding my breath).

For those interested, here's some info on my art book: The book is, indeed, a print book. The PDF was only a sampler. It's technically my 2010 sketchbook, which is why I waited until after Dragon*Con to offer it for sale, Dragon*con being where I've chosen to premiere my annual sketchbook, since it's the con I'm most likely to regularly attend (living in Atlanta as I do). As indicated on my website (http://www.arcane-marks.com), the booklet is 5.5" x 8.5". It has a color cover with a b/w interior and is 40 printed pages (meaning 20 physical pages). The content of the book is, pretty much, selections of my favorite pieces from my various Ravenloft projects, along with a few supplemental comments. The book itself is priced at $15. $20 gets you an autographed copy of the book and an original pencil sketch of a Ravenloft character on a 2.5" x 3.5" sketchcard. Normally, this sketch would have been done directly in the front of the book, but due to the slickness of the paper and the background element, I had to resort to the cards.

I currently have 11 copies of the first printing left in stock. If demand continues for it, I'll continue to do print-runs until Dragon*Con 2011 (early September) when the book will "officially" go out of print (as I'll have a new sketchbook at that time, which may or may not contain any Ravenloft art). If you have any questions regarding the book feel free to post them here, on my Facebook page (see the link on my Talonart website) or email me directly (again from my site). Note that I still have copies of my 2009 sketchbook, "Stray Marks," available for $12 or $15 with a sketch.

Okay, that's about it. Thanks again for the extremely kind words!

-Talon

P.S.: here's an (overly bright) preview of the cover (featuring a previously unpublished portrait of Lord Strahd!):
Attachments
Cover of "Out of the Mists"
Cover of "Out of the Mists"
TCD-OutOfTheMists-cover.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
From the mind of Talon Dunning
http://www.talonart.com - http://www.arcane-marks.com
sPtJanly
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by sPtJanly »

Thank you for giving amazing illustration to Ravenloft. I really like that the authors, artists, ect. have an active presence on this site. A big thanks to all of you as well.

My next pay check I'm going to buy the book for my fellow players and GM.
I swear Azalin can be killed by the spell Prestidigitation, its all apart of his curse. -Failure
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Talon, thanks for stopping by.

I already ordered my copy of the 2010 artbook. Does the 2009 book conatin any Ravenloft art?

Also great page. I like the Faces section. Do you mind if we would use some of the pics there as avatars on this forum?
Last edited by The Giamarga on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

ooh, talon, I am fan of your artwork so thanks for stopping by. I am curious is each sketch that you get for the package that comes with an original sketch, unique?
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

@ The Giamarga: Unfortunately, my 2009 sketchbook doesn't have any Ravenloft art in it. It's a true "sketchbook," primarily consisting of preliminary drawings, doodles and character sketches. It's a fun little book, but it's more about my work than the subject matter. You may use the art on the All-Original Character Portrait Archive as you see fit as long as it's within the parameters listed on the Terms of Use page: http://www.arcane-marks.com/faces-tou.html. That includes avatars here.

@ herkles: The sketches that come with "Out of the Mists" are, indeed, original and unique drawings and, so far, have all been of different characters or monsters.

Thanks everybody!

-Talon
Damien Logos
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Damien Logos »

I just ordered two of those copies a short while ago, and I wanted to thank you, Talon, for doing these. Your art has become, to me, integral to Ravenloft's style. It will be an honor to have a copy.

As far as the extra sketches on the 2.5"x3.5" cards you include, are they random ones you've already drawn, or custom works drawn prior to shipment?
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm glad Talon is on this forum. My players and I have long admired your artwork and we look forward to seeing your sketches in future. You've given Ravenloft a face for an entire campaign generation of players, and that's no mean feat!
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Just a question for you guys, I ordered mine since one week and still didn't receive it, should I start wondering or just need wait a little more because I'm just too impatient?

And nice to know that Talon is on that forum! I'm a big fan of his art and he just so much fit ravenloft!
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Damien Logos wrote:As far as the extra sketches on the 2.5"x3.5" cards you include, are they random ones you've already drawn, or custom works drawn prior to shipment?
I draw each card as the order is placed. They're not pre-drawn at this point (mostly because I haven't had time to draw more than one at a time). They are all, however, unique and original works of art and not just something I happen to have lying around. None of these have been published. I'm not even scanning them for my records. They're original sketchcards drawn just for you. Again, they're only on the cards because drawing them in the book itself was impractical in this case. Sketches done for Stray Marks are done on the first page of the book itself.

-Talon
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Scipion_Emilien wrote:Just a question for you guys, I ordered mine since one week and still didn't receive it, should I start wondering or just need wait a little more because I'm just too impatient?

And nice to know that Talon is on that forum! I'm a big fan of his art and he just so much fit ravenloft!
Thanks for the kind words (that goes for everyone)! Some orders are going out faster than others. In order to save time and effort, I'm mailing them in batches, so it may take me a few days to get it to the post office as I'm waiting for more orders to come in. Also, I have to draw the sketchcards, which takes time. I sent out a batch yesterday, so it's possible yours was in there. I have two more sitting here waiting for cards. I'm trying to remember to send notices to folks when the orders are shipped. Once you get the notice, that means it should be about a week before it arrives, longer if you're overseas. If you don't get it after a few weeks, let me know.

-Talon
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

Talon wrote:I currently have 11 copies of the first printing left in stock.
Aarrggh! I hope you don't run out of these until I get the chance to purchase one later this week... :(
As others have stated, Talon, you gave Ravenloft 3e a face of its own with a style that was unique, coherent and recognizable. WotC should seriously consider you as an option for 4e Ravenloft, if they intend to keep the gothic atmosphere of the demiplane of dread.
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Damien Logos
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Damien Logos »

Dimitri Mazieres wrote:
Talon wrote:I currently have 11 copies of the first printing left in stock.
Aarrggh! I hope you don't run out of these until I get the chance to purchase one later this week... :(
As others have stated, Talon, you gave Ravenloft 3e a face of its own with a style that was unique, coherent and recognizable. WotC should seriously consider you as an option for 4e Ravenloft, if they intend to keep the gothic atmosphere of the demiplane of dread.
I placed an order for two of those 11, Dimitri. Good luck, man! With all you've done for the FoS and Ravenloft communities, I'd be willing to place an order for a third, to reserve it for you, if you're interested, man.
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Dimitri Mazieres wrote:Aarrggh! I hope you don't run out of these until I get the chance to purchase one later this week... :(
Thanks! I'll most likely be doing a second printing some time in the next week or so and will continue to do so as long as demand for them keeps up, until about this time next year. So no worries. At best, you'll be looking at a delay as I replenish my stock.

WOtC is a tough nut to crack, mostly due to the amazing amount of competition. They use nothing but full-color art now and have guys doing amazing digital paintings lining up outside their door to get work. I've gotten work on their more fringe projects (mostly a few online supplements for the Star Wars RPG and some CCG work back about a decade ago), but it's unlikely that I'd be able to compete with WOtC's D&D talent pool. I may have been top-dog with White Wolf's Ravenloft, which was literally something of a side project to them (it was two imprints removed from their core products), but WOtC takes D&D very seriously. That's not to say I won't try, but I'm not holding my breath. The future of Ravenloft will look a lot like the board game: http://www.gamesalute.com/wp-content/up ... front2.jpg

-Talon