Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Discussing all things Ravenloft
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by HuManBing »

Talon, have you had any interest or headway with Steve Jackson Games? I know they're in the process of updating their 3rd edition GURPS Horror campaign sourcebook to 4th edition, for release some time in 2011 IIRC. From what I understand, SJGames' artwork is usually a later step in their process, and they have generally featured black/white or grayscale line art much more than any color art.

Your horror-gaming artwork is top-notch and any chance to showcase it to the public is a net boon for gamers.
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

HuManBing wrote:Talon, have you had any interest or headway with Steve Jackson Games?
I've never done any work for them, unfortunately. Perhaps I'll look into it. Thanks!

-Talon
From the mind of Talon Dunning
http://www.talonart.com - http://www.arcane-marks.com
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Woohoo, got mine today :)

And my image is the one and only Dr Van Richten!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Joël of the FoS wrote:And my image is the one and only Dr Van Richten!
So...big! :-) I'm glad you like it. It's been fun visiting these characters again.

-Talon
Joël of the FoS

*lol*, well I scanned it big, without thinking of making a shrinked version for the site.

Now everybody can see his nostrils :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

It is with great pleasure that I looked at the art book, having just images to look at, without flavor text to distract.

It is really amazing how Talon draws the women: they are all extremely beautiful.

We were blessed to have Talon draw a whole edition of the setting. Hopefully, he'll get some parts in 4e as well.

Joël
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Joël of the FoS wrote:It is with great pleasure that I looked at the art book, having just images to look at, without flavor text to distract.
It is really amazing how Talon draws the women: they are all extremely beautiful.
We were blessed to have Talon draw a whole edition of the setting. Hopefully, he'll get some parts in 4e as well.
Aw, shucks, it aint nothin'. Y'all're gonna give me a swell head. ;-) Seriously, though, it's nice to be appreciated. I so rarely get feedback for my work, I never quite know if people like it or not. Thanks so much for the kind words!

-Talon
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

I just have to say, Talon, that your art, especially the graphite portraits, were a massive influence on how I draw and myself as an artist. I'm not much of an artist :P but I have to credit Talon and Tony diTerlizzi (2e Planescape man) for much of my inspiration while learning to draw.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

This might seem silly, but several years ago I commissioned several images on the way you did your character portraits, of the player characters in my Ravenloft game at the time.

I tried to find an artist who could draw... similar to your style, obviously not identical by any means, nor would I want someone to imitate your art. But if you are curious to see them I would be excited to show an artist who I have often admired.

I've tried repeatedly to get to Dragon Con just so I could get a commission of my character by you. I'd just like you to know... I love your stuff and am happy to have you provide my favorite images in the Ravenloft setting.

And I WILL be ordering your artbook soon, just as absolutely soon as I get paid again.

Thank you for your contributions to my favorite setting.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

DoctorMoreau wrote:I tried to find an artist who could draw... similar to your style, obviously not identical by any means, nor would I want someone to imitate your art. But if you are curious to see them I would be excited to show an artist who I have often admired.
I never pass up the opportunity to look at cool art. Post away!
DoctorMoreau wrote:I've tried repeatedly to get to Dragon Con just so I could get a commission of my character by you. I'd just like you to know... I love your stuff and am happy to have you provide my favorite images in the Ravenloft setting.
I've been a guest at the Dragon*Con several times over the past few years, but it's only the last two where I actually managed to work a table my mooching space from a client's booth in the Dealer's Room. Even while giving me Guest status, the D*C folks have never thought me deserving of a table in Artist Alley (mostly because guys with names like Hughes, Stelfreeze and Lockwood are hogging them all :-) ). I keep trying, though. I'm starting to make con appearances a regular thing. I'm already scheduled for XCon in Myrtle Beach, SC on Oct 22-14 and next year's Megacon in Orlando. I'm in the process of securing a table at next year's HeroesCon. I hope to be making GenCon, Origins and AdventureCon as well. We'll just have to see how that goes. If you can catch me at any of these shows, then I can draw your character. That's mostly what I do at cons. Unfortunately, though, I'm a bit too busy to do them at home.

-Talon
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I have a few that I added borders to, al la the Gazetteers, but it looks like I never finished doing that for all the portraits.

This campaign lasted two years and went through several people, though many of the core players were there for the entire thing I had every single character in it ever commissioned.

The last image, of Sebastian is not a character from that game but my own character I mentioned. Made for Ravenloft as an Arcanist (the rat is his familiar) though I've never gotten to play him much.

Always the DM, never the player. The thumb nails are clickable to view the images full size. Some of the facial proportions are a bit off, but she was a fairly young artist at the time (this was in 2005 I got these done).

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread in a way unrelated to it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

The artist went by Arezou at the time, as to her real name, I don't know it.

Editted on: Found her on DA and confirmed it was her through a few links back from where I met her. I just think it's best to credit an artist if you can
http://esg.deviantart.com/gallery/
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

These are really cool! There's more grayscale shading in them than I used (I tended to be more linear with my Ravenloft portraits), but these do have a really cool sense of characterization. That's the key to a good character portrait. You have to make them look like they have a very distinct personality. Also, for Ravenloft at least, I avoided smiles when I could. It's Ravenloft. Nobody should be smiling. :-)

-Talon
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yeah, those are great! They don't look like exact copies of Talon's style, but I could see them sitting right alongside his in a product and the styles would mesh quite well.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

To DoctorMoreau: That is quite impressive. I am also impressed you commissioned and artist for your games characters... Quite a dedicated course. Especially if you were the DM.

To Talon: I also am hoping to get a hold of your artbook :) just as soon as I can get the money... I however have to wait for it as I am a lowly college student and certain priorities come first... Food, Rent, Gas, Power etc... :roll: Still I enjoy your character portraits immensely, I wish you success and I hope you are able to work on Ravenloft once more.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I just admire you for being able to draw like that. It takes a great talent to do so ;)

Long live paypal! I just purchased the same item Joel did! Can't wait to admire your book, Mr Dunning!