Movies that have that Ravenloft feel

Books, movies, television and everything else
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Please excuse double post, but previously we'd also been talking about a sequel for the Ninth Gate on this thread and I'd wanted to share:

Apparently in 2001 there was a sequel in the works called "The Devil's Beauty" which was to again star Depp and have Polanski directing, the same script writer as the first one worked on the project. Then it looks as if something fell through, Polanski decided not to do the project and in 2004 the project passed to a small Spanish company and was reenvisioned as a prequel instead. I couldn't find anything further than that about the project, or what happened, if it was released as an independent film with small cast, budget etc. or what. My guess would be that it was dropped soon after Polanski decided not to do it. Just found it interesting. If anyone can find anything else about this, or what happened etc. please post!
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

This has reminded me that I need to get this movie! Bought it on ebay including shipping for $7.99. Best 8 dollars spent ever! And while I was at it, I bought Sleepy Hollow for less than 6$ shipping included! Yay me!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Lovecraftforever wrote:
I was referring to the Dark Shadows remake (btw another remake may be on the way thanks to Tim Burton )

I think I may be desensitized to most horror films at this point because I did not recall the Blind Dead series having that much gratuitous nudity.
HO man, if Tim Burton makes this remake I am so going go see it!
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lovecraftforever »

LadySoth wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote: I found the release of those films so close together rather odd. Kinda like when A Bugs Life and Ants came out at the same time.
Yeah, also that year (98-99?) they released the first Elizabeth movie, then Shakespeare in Love and A Midsummer Night's Dream all within months of each other. With many of the same actors in each! Is it corporate espionage when several major film studios release similar themed movies, or just coincidence of the current cultural zeitgeist? Weird . . . 8)
You think that's bad? Three (yes, three) different War Of The Worlds movies came out within weeks of each other.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lovecraftforever »

tarlyn wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote:
I was referring to the Dark Shadows remake (btw another remake may be on the way thanks to Tim Burton )

I think I may be desensitized to most horror films at this point because I did not recall the Blind Dead series having that much gratuitous nudity.
This project has been up in the air for years.

Personally, I would rather see Burton and Depp do a classic Gothic vampire tale like Dracula, The Vampyre, or Varney The Vampire.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Lovecraftforever wrote:
tarlyn wrote:
This project has been up in the air for years.

Personally, I would rather see Burton and Depp do a classic Gothic vampire tale like Dracula, The Vampyre, or Varney The Vampire.
Won't matter if Burton can't pick a decent script-- and I think he really dropped the ball on Alice in Wonderland. :(
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Didn't read the complete thread, but the anime series "Chevalier d'Eon" deserves a mention.

This is as close as I have ever seen a series come to embody the fantasy concept of RL. No Hammer movies, no Carnivale, this.

In the beginning, I pretty much hated the series for its absurdities, but. THIS. IS. RAVENLOFT.

Trailer:

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Rafael wrote:Didn't read the complete thread, but the anime series "Chevalier d'Eon" deserves a mention.
Wow, that looks awesome. Will have to track it down. Thanks, Raf!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Glad to be use. :) I'd be interested on your opinion on it, because I had my difficulties at first.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

it'll be a while... not much time for movies lately...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

LadySoth wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote: I found the release of those films so close together rather odd. Kinda like when A Bugs Life and Ants came out at the same time.
Yeah, also that year (98-99?) they released the first Elizabeth movie, then Shakespeare in Love and A Midsummer Night's Dream all within months of each other. With many of the same actors in each! Is it corporate espionage when several major film studios release similar themed movies, or just coincidence of the current cultural zeitgeist? Weird . . . 8)
I always figured it was the former. Movie studios often have a ton of scripts that they've "optioned" (i.e., they've bought the script but haven't produced it yet). Then when the studio finds out that another studio is producing a hotly anticipated movie, they check through their optioned scripts to see if they have anything similar, and then push the script into production to capitalize on the trend. At least, that's what I think happens.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Twin Agate Dragons
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Twin Agate Dragons »

I'm big on movie watching, here's a list fto inspire you:

The Mist
Stephe King's Silver Bullet
The Skeleton Key
The Mephisto Waltz
Beyond Re
Coraline
The Happening
The Gravedancers
Room 6
Snow White: A Tale of Terror
Wes Craven Presents: They
The Eye
Changeling
[url=http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6410]Ravenloft - The Dreull Lands[/url] | [url=http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6413]Recent Updates[/url]
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I'm big on movie watching, here's a list fto inspire you:

The Mist
Stephe King's Silver Bullet
The Skeleton Key
The Mephisto Waltz
Beyond Re
Coraline
The Happening
The Gravedancers
Room 6
Snow White: A Tale of Terror
Wes Craven Presents: They
The Eye
Changeling
Please tell me you're not referring to the M.Night Shamylamalamalan's "The Happening"...please...that was absolutely horrible.

As for the Eye, I hope you're referring to the original Chinese version...agreed with the rest. I don't believe I've seen the Evil Dead series mentioned yet...
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Movies that have that Ravenloft feel

Post by BedrockBrendan »

Rosemary's Baby: This is a case study in making the mundane horrific.

Dracula (1992): Between the music and the visuals, this movie inspired a lot of Ravenloft campaigns for me when it was released.

The Excorcist: Just a classic.

Virtually any Universal Movie or Hammer Movie (particularly anything with Cushing or Lee).

This one may seem odd, but when the first Pirates of the Caribbean film came out, it seemed like a perfect fit for Ravenloft to me.

I second many other suggestions like Brotherhood of The Wolf, Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Silence of the Lambs (the first film at least).
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Movies that have that Ravenloft feel

Post by Ail »

La Maschera del Demonio / Black Sunday. Another great, great movie for visuals (don't know if it has been mentioned yet)
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)