Movies that have that Ravenloft feel

Books, movies, television and everything else
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Oh! The Blind Dead series...

Templar zombies on skeletal horses made for a great visual...

One might need to lower the naked nubile Euro-trash babe flesh content for a RL game though...
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lovecraftforever »

tarlyn wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote:Tombs Of The Blind Dead, awesome and unique zombie flick.

Dark Shadows (series), do I need to explain?

Shadow Of The Vampire, a must see.
Both Dark Shadows. The remake wasn't so bad by NBC in the 90's.
I never saw the remake so I did not include it on the list. Ill check it out.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

There's a remake? It was a series of films, five in all. dealing with revived bodies of Templar Knights. Tomb of the Blind Dead was the first, and arguably the most famous in the west due to its frequent showings on late night horror shows on TV.

The original Spanish version had plenty of rgatuitous nudity and gore, as per Euro-trash standards.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Zettaijin wrote:There's a remake? It was a series of films, five in all. dealing with revived bodies of Templar Knights. Tomb of the Blind Dead was the first, and arguably the most famous in the west due to its frequent showings on late night horror shows on TV.

The original Spanish version had plenty of rgatuitous nudity and gore, as per Euro-trash standards.
I think the 'remake' is meant for Dark Shadows, not the templar films.

Regarding the euro-trash, as one who was exposed to it while growing, I understand the gratuity and the exploitation are there, but it was also incredibly liberating. And we should also not forget that such exploitation was a product of the times. Most euro-trash comes from Spain and Italy, perhaps France too. And Spain in particular was justified with being suddenly liberated from an oppressive dictatorship. France... I guess those guys never needed many excuses to take off their clothes, and as for Italy I'm not familiar enough with their history to say anything.

But let's just remember, it was the 70s, the years of the psychedelic drugs, the hippie movement, the free love culture and before the appearance of AIDS... I wasn't really around by then, and although I've abhorred the 70s for most of my life, I now feel a strange nostalgia for them and (yikes!) the 80s.

That said, I still like nudity in my horror :P
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I would recommend Vidocq. Although I didn't get to see the whole film, what I saw impressed me very much and made me think it has potential for RL, at least for the visuals.
It's a french film with Gerard Dépardieu.

Also, The Name of the Rose is a perpetual favourite for this kind of listing, is it not? There are few things more gothic for me than the corruption of the Catholic church. (I've never read The Monk, but I definitely want to).
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Ail wrote:
Zettaijin wrote:There's a remake? It was a series of films, five in all. dealing with revived bodies of Templar Knights. Tomb of the Blind Dead was the first, and arguably the most famous in the west due to its frequent showings on late night horror shows on TV.

I think the 'remake' is meant for Dark Shadows, not the templar films.

Regarding the euro-trash, as one who was exposed to it while growing, I understand the gratuity and the exploitation are there, but it was also incredibly liberating. And we should also not forget that such exploitation was a product of the times. Most euro-trash comes from Spain and Italy, perhaps France too. And Spain in particular was justified with being suddenly liberated from an oppressive dictatorship. France... I guess those guys never needed many excuses to take off their clothes, and as for Italy I'm not familiar enough with their history to say anything.

But let's just remember, it was the 70s, the years of the psychedelic drugs, the hippie movement, the free love culture and before the appearance of AIDS... I wasn't really around by then, and although I've abhorred the 70s for most of my life, I now feel a strange nostalgia for them and (yikes!) the 80s.

That said, I still like nudity in my horror :P
I was referring to the Dark Shadows remake (btw another remake may be on the way thanks to Tim Burton )

I think I may be desensitized to most horror films at this point because I did not recall the Blind Dead series having that much gratuitous nudity.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Candyman and in parts it's sequels though the original first and fore most.

For Parts of its story there is the 1994 Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with Robert De Niro.

The Bogeyman though it is more for reference but it does well in making the hero learn the weakness of the monster.

Seven for the serial killer games, though movies like Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider also have great mystery plots... Not to mention my first favorite actor Morgan Freeman.

Evil Dead.

Thinner. Don't get more like a "Vistani Curse" then this.

The first remade Halloween movie for the brutal type of killer. Though the original still has some to offer.

It.

Silence of the Lambs. Again serial killers!!!

Fallen with my second favorite actor Denzel Washington.

My brain is kind of fried but I will try to think of more later!!!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Guess you have been quite forthcoming already, AG =)
Anyway, I second Candyman. Great film, genuinely scared me, and I remember I really liked the history of the slave and the curse he got (but don't ask for details now, it's way in the past). Of course it's a bit of a slasher movie, but I think a good one :/

Evil dead: I guess that was the first horror film I saw, way back... can't remember much. Was that the one that had demons, the heroes were trapped in a cabin in the woods and there was some sort of ancient book with rituals or some such?

Seven and Silence of the Lambs I pass, thank you. Didn't like them that much......

Another Euro-trash film that I'd like to suggest, and really impressed me when I saw it (though there's more of that nudity of the time, and quite a lot of it, it seems fromt the reviews I just read) is a Spanish film where a couple is lost on the road and go to an abandoned house where they meet a strange couple. They claim to know the victim couple from the times of school and gradually involve them into sanatic worship with bad consequences. Eventually they become like their new masters and in the end of the film they are the ones pulling that trick.
I think somewhere in the film they arrive to their house and find it empty or taken by somebody else, can't quite remember.

I'd like to remember the name of it, I know I hunted this film for a long time after I saw it in TV.

P.S.: Ok, I found the name. Escalofrío in the original, Satan's Blood in English.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Freddys' Dead - The Final Nightmare. In this one Krueger has reduced Springwood to a RavenLoft Type realm that that he is attempting to escape but can't. He can even close the border.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Although detested by many, I loved the VanHelsing.

The entire film reminded me of a hack and slash Ravenloft adventure.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Dark City. I bet it is one of Azalin's favourites. The Dark Powers get what's coming to them.
The cure for what ails you
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

The Crow wiht Brandon Lee. Though I don't remember much, it seemed to have caused quite an impression.
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

The film The Prestige also has a bit of a Ravenloft feel to it. Highly recommended.
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

The prestige is a bad movie, in my opinion. Well, not as bad as Van Helsing.
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

The Ninth Gate

Awesome and underrated film.