Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lovecraftforever »

tarlyn wrote:
Lovecraftforever wrote:The Ninth Gate

Awesome and underrated film.

I love that movie!
My current Call Of Cthulhu character is based on the protagonist of that film.

I play a witty, knowledgeable, wacky, greedy, con artist scarily well.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Second that. greatly. Didn't like the ending, but the film is very good.
I particularly like the idea of the images containing clues in the several copies of the book, and of course, I love films with satanic masses, societies, ceremonies, rituals, etc. I'm very partial to this kind of horror.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Ail wrote:

I particularly like the idea of the images containing clues in the several copies of the book, and of course, I love films with satanic masses, societies, ceremonies, rituals, etc. I'm very partial to this kind of horror.
Does anyone else want a sequel to Ninth Gate? Polanski's latest, "Ghost Writer" ,while great, felt like a recap of 9th. Wonder what potential if any there is for a sequel for this one. Anyone read the book? (Film's much better IMO)
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

LadySoth wrote:
Ail wrote:

Does anyone else want a sequel to Ninth Gate? Polanski's latest, "Ghost Writer" ,while great, felt like a recap of 9th. Wonder what potential if any there is for a sequel for this one. Anyone read the book? (Film's much better IMO)
There is a sequel? WOW! So if I look for Ghost Writer I'll find it, Lady Soth?
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

LadySoth wrote:
Ail wrote:

I don't think the film needs a sequel.

That being said, I do think it could work as a television series. The protagonist is believable, interesting, and I would love to see his further adventures.
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

I have not seen any mention Sleepy Hollow.

I also like Hellboy II for the ideas for the fey, like the tooth fairies.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

tarlyn wrote:
LadySoth wrote:
Ail wrote: Second that. greatly. Didn't like the ending, but the film is very good.

No, unfortunately "Ghost Writer" isn't a sequel, just a different Polanski movie with a similar premise. Both films are about a similar type guy sifting through old manuscripts to find clues and solve a larger mystery in desolate surroundings. Its still worth checking out, although I wish Polanski would have considered a sequel to 9th Gate instead for his next film. I find lovecraftforever's idea for a TV series interesting too.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

LadySoth wrote:
tarlyn wrote:
LadySoth wrote: Does anyone else want a sequel to Ninth Gate? Polanski's latest, "Ghost Writer" ,while great, felt like a recap of 9th. Wonder what potential if any there is for a sequel for this one. Anyone read the book? (Film's much better IMO)

No, unfortunately "Ghost Writer" isn't a sequel, just a different Polanski movie with a similar premise. Both films are about a similar type guy sifting through old manuscripts to find clues and solve a larger mystery in desolate surroundings. Its still worth checking out, although I wish Polanski would have considered a sequel to 9th Gate instead for his next film. I find lovecraftforever's idea for a TV series interesting too.
Why thank you!

People who enjoyed The Ninth Gate should check out "Cigarette Burns". One of the darkest and most chilling films I have ever seen.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Lost Heretic wrote:
The prestige is a bad movie, in my opinion. Well, not as bad as Van Helsing.
Oh come now... Beyond the simple awesomeness of the fact that David Bowie plays Nicola Tesla... The Prestige was a good film in many ways. Very Ravenloft in the way the story was depicted.

Spoilers - For more reference check the Wikipedia page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_%28film%29
Borden's sins are divided among two people. One of the two was simply more confident than the other and yet perhaps this is just my observation but it seemed the dichotomy of the two was very stark in some ways. They both were proud in the way they deceived everyone and they like Angier in a way could not let slights simply roll by, striking back at Angier but with less lethal intent. Dedicated or stubborn they cut off the uninjured brothers fingers just to match the others hand injured in the bullet catch (When Angier tried to kill them.) trusting in each other quite readily. Yet when one of them does not know which knot the other tied (and which may have killed Julia) there is evidence that one of them may have slipped or perhaps feels guilt, which formed a wedge in that trust. Still they both refused to give even the slightest bit of trust to anyone other than themselves and this led to the death of Angier's wife, one of the Borden twins wife Sarah by suicide as she believes there is an affair, and the loss of love from her husband but this is because the other loves Olivia, who leaves soon after as she is unable to accept how heartlessly Borden accepts his wife's death. They simply cannot fake such emotions for the other well enough to fool those closest perfectly even if their secret is kept. They also sacrifice half of their lives each trying to keep this secret for the sake of being the best magician and ultimately they are forced to separate as one is framed by Angier and hung keeping his secret even to the death. The other finally pushed too far shoots Angier in vengeance finally able to put the past behind them now that they had near nothing left. The truth of these two is in the way the balance was off for them, and was strange to watch as they tore each others personal lives apart but could not separate and live comfortably. Perhaps they were both too callow with the others interests and focused on their own to keep such a balance. But imbalance is so because one side is more or less than the other. Perhaps at times they both were but I view it as if there were two people with very different personalities in place. One colder but gentler, the other more passionate but more abrasive.

Angier's crimes are far more numerous. He at first is justified in his anger at his wife's death but when found by others to be an accident of the trade and not as he believes Borden's fault he snaps. Borden also not being able to keep proper tabs on his brothers movements gives him the very insufficient answer of "I don't know." as to which knot he tied. He soon tries to kill Borden in the bullet catch when he finds his life is seemingly happy and full but is stopped from doing more than harming his hand. He then sets out on his career happy to outclass the simple and poor Borden but when Borden strikes back he snaps. He becomes obsessed with Borden and when the Transported Man trick comes into play he attempts to steal it. He however takes the fact that he believes Borden is always able to be in both the Turn and the Prestige of the trick and thus gets the lime light that he is being slighted by his foe/rival. He begins actively attempting to steal and thus destroy Borden's career but it turns on him for the most part. He almost murders Mr. Fallon ransoming him for Borden's secret for the trick. He develops the machine and while the first murder of his duplicate seems spontaneous there is the underlying idea that he did it so that he would still get all the prestige. He murders (and or perhaps commits suicide) every time he performs his version of the trick. He even uses this act all as a way to lure Borden so he might frame him for the murder. He then proceeds to torment the man as he waited for death. When he discovers that he had ruined not one life but two all these years it is of no concern to him except that he found he had overestimated his opponents method but underestimated his dedication. Upon his death impending death at Bordens hands Angier admits (In a way.) that while he did it at first to avenge his wife his final goals had simply evolved to be proving himself better than not only Borden but everyone as well. The feeling of the Prestige (In his act and even in his vengeance) as it was had become an addiction to him and in that he believed was the truth of magic. As he said to Borden "You never understood... why we did this. The audience knows the truth. The world is simple, miserable, solid all the way through. But if you can fool them, even for a second... then you can make them wonder. And you get to see something very special. ... You really don't know. ... It was the look on their faces." which if interpreted correctly shows a want of power over the world (probably originally from the injustice of his wife's death.) and a selfish desire to be it's sole possessor (due to his secretive nature). While he was willing to feign death and hide he was still deceiving others and he had believed himself triumphant in his battle with Borden. In the end before his death he had given everything to win, and could not even be sure he was the same man who had started the journey or not.

In summation they were both dark characters with Borden being the anti hero and Angier evolving into the villain. Angier would definitely be darklord material. Also as we do not know which of the two brothers Borden survived it is entirely possible that the one who killed Julia if it was his fault lived. If this more hot headed brother is the one responsible for the fractures that ruined the others life then perhaps he is also a villain as well but still less so than Angier by any means.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Even though the novel is scarier.

Coraline somewhat is Ravenlofty! :D
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

A G Thing wrote:Lost Heretic wrote:
The prestige is a bad movie, in my opinion. Well, not as bad as Van Helsing.
Oh come now... Beyond the simple awesomeness of the fact that David Bowie plays Nicola Tesla... The Prestige was a good film in many ways. Very Ravenloft in the way the story was depicted.

Spoilers - For more reference check the Wikipedia page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_%28film%29
Borden's sins are divided among two people. One of the two was simply more confident than the other and yet perhaps this is just my observation but it seemed the dichotomy of the two was very stark in some ways. They both were proud in the way they deceived everyone and they like Angier in a way could not let slights simply roll by, striking back at Angier but with less lethal intent. Dedicated or stubborn they cut off the uninjured brothers fingers just to match the others hand injured in the bullet catch (When Angier tried to kill them.) trusting in each other quite readily. Yet when one of them does not know which knot the other tied (and which may have killed Julia) there is evidence that one of them may have slipped or perhaps feels guilt, which formed a wedge in that trust. Still they both refused to give even the slightest bit of trust to anyone other than themselves and this led to the death of Angier's wife, one of the Borden twins wife Sarah by suicide as she believes there is an affair, and the loss of love from her husband but this is because the other loves Olivia, who leaves soon after as she is unable to accept how heartlessly Borden accepts his wife's death. They simply cannot fake such emotions for the other well enough to fool those closest perfectly even if their secret is kept. They also sacrifice half of their lives each trying to keep this secret for the sake of being the best magician and ultimately they are forced to separate as one is framed by Angier and hung keeping his secret even to the death. The other finally pushed too far shoots Angier in vengeance finally able to put the past behind them now that they had near nothing left. The truth of these two is in the way the balance was off for them, and was strange to watch as they tore each others personal lives apart but could not separate and live comfortably. Perhaps they were both too callow with the others interests and focused on their own to keep such a balance. But imbalance is so because one side is more or less than the other. Perhaps at times they both were but I view it as if there were two people with very different personalities in place. One colder but gentler, the other more passionate but more abrasive.

Angier's crimes are far more numerous. He at first is justified in his anger at his wife's death but when found by others to be an accident of the trade and not as he believes Borden's fault he snaps. Borden also not being able to keep proper tabs on his brothers movements gives him the very insufficient answer of "I don't know." as to which knot he tied. He soon tries to kill Borden in the bullet catch when he finds his life is seemingly happy and full but is stopped from doing more than harming his hand. He then sets out on his career happy to outclass the simple and poor Borden but when Borden strikes back he snaps. He becomes obsessed with Borden and when the Transported Man trick comes into play he attempts to steal it. He however takes the fact that he believes Borden is always able to be in both the Turn and the Prestige of the trick and thus gets the lime light that he is being slighted by his foe/rival. He begins actively attempting to steal and thus destroy Borden's career but it turns on him for the most part. He almost murders Mr. Fallon ransoming him for Borden's secret for the trick. He develops the machine and while the first murder of his duplicate seems spontaneous there is the underlying idea that he did it so that he would still get all the prestige. He murders (and or perhaps commits suicide) every time he performs his version of the trick. He even uses this act all as a way to lure Borden so he might frame him for the murder. He then proceeds to torment the man as he waited for death. When he discovers that he had ruined not one life but two all these years it is of no concern to him except that he found he had overestimated his opponents method but underestimated his dedication. Upon his death impending death at Bordens hands Angier admits (In a way.) that while he did it at first to avenge his wife his final goals had simply evolved to be proving himself better than not only Borden but everyone as well. The feeling of the Prestige (In his act and even in his vengeance) as it was had become an addiction to him and in that he believed was the truth of magic. As he said to Borden "You never understood... why we did this. The audience knows the truth. The world is simple, miserable, solid all the way through. But if you can fool them, even for a second... then you can make them wonder. And you get to see something very special. ... You really don't know. ... It was the look on their faces." which if interpreted correctly shows a want of power over the world (probably originally from the injustice of his wife's death.) and a selfish desire to be it's sole possessor (due to his secretive nature). While he was willing to feign death and hide he was still deceiving others and he had believed himself triumphant in his battle with Borden. In the end before his death he had given everything to win, and could not even be sure he was the same man who had started the journey or not.

In summation they were both dark characters with Borden being the anti hero and Angier evolving into the villain. Angier would definitely be darklord material. Also as we do not know which of the two brothers Borden survived it is entirely possible that the one who killed Julia if it was his fault lived. If this more hot headed brother is the one responsible for the fractures that ruined the others life then perhaps he is also a villain as well but still less so than Angier by any means.
I watch a LOT of movies in my line of work. This film was a masterpiece in my opinion. The setting. The acting. The ending! Love all of it. Deserved the Oscar.
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Often overlooked because it came out around the same time as "The Prestige" is "The Illusionist". Great Phillip Glass soundtrack to it, which I'm going to be using for my next campaign.
Lovecraftforever
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

brass wrote:Often overlooked because it came out around the same time as "The Prestige" is "The Illusionist". Great Phillip Glass soundtrack to it, which I'm going to be using for my next campaign.
I found the release of those films so close together rather odd. Kinda like when A Bugs Life and Ants came out at the same time.
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Lovecraftforever wrote: I found the release of those films so close together rather odd. Kinda like when A Bugs Life and Ants came out at the same time.
Yeah, also that year (98-99?) they released the first Elizabeth movie, then Shakespeare in Love and A Midsummer Night's Dream all within months of each other. With many of the same actors in each! Is it corporate espionage when several major film studios release similar themed movies, or just coincidence of the current cultural zeitgeist? Weird . . . 8)
~ L A D Y S O T H ~