Back to Basics Chapter 1: Where are we ?

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dalorna replies in a quiet voice-

''He will be well- he just needs to calm down, that's all.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!.............Snort!!!.............." The young lad sees only black at first, unnerved by the unnatural bird. Stamping his feet and growling he nearly unsheathes his blade, but the familiar voice of his sister brings him back. Slowly he calms, breathing slowing, until he is back to normal.

Blinking he is unsure of what has transpired, eyes looking around quickly. "........Yeah, Threan..... I........ I'm sorry, Lorna," the young lad blushes, emarassed. "I ... I don't know what came over me, it's .......... it's like I lost control of my...my-self..... It was really weird. I hope that doesn't happen too often. I'm really sorry Lorna. Uh, Cob, I really am sorry, little fella. You just made me really nervous. I'll be nicer in the future, or try at any rate."

Arnulf smiles at Lorna, then at Cob, really embarassed at how he has acted.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cob hops over Dalorna's head, moving from her right shoulder to her left shoulder. He squawks a little, ruffles his feathers, then settles down.

''Cob is good bird. Cob is good bird. Boy is friend?''
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Arnulf doesn't know anything about birds, but he does know a little about dogs. They do like treats or food. Reaching into a pouch he removes a ration of dried meat. Looking at Lorna and Cob at the same time, but speaking to Lorna, he says "I got some food you might like, Cob. Here, it is yours if you want it." The young man holds out the strip of meat tentively to the bird, unsure if it will actually eat his food or not.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The raven's beak flashes and the morsel of meat is suddenly gone from Arnulf's fingers. Cob swallows the meat, then says-

''Good boy, good boy!''

Dalorna chuckles.

''See, he's not a mean bird, Arnulf. You will get used to him talking-that's magic, you know.''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

While Arnulf is dancing around erratically in some frenzy perhaps Dalorna notices on his back is strapped on crosswise a case that is about four feet long .
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Arnulf, we never delivered the package...well, when we get home, we'll take it straight to the gnomes.''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Looking nervously around, Alia spots the two strangers not far away and approaches them, pausing politely in the old man's field of vision, but far enough back that they can finish their conversation before paying any attention to her. If they glance over, they will see a figure in a long leather cloak, a full cloak that meets in the front and has a hem that brushes the sand, and a hood currently pulled up as if against the morning mist, shrouding the face in darkness. Behind the figure is a loaded mule, looking packed for travel.
Last edited by kintire on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Yeah. I hope Mister Threan and Glim aren't too upset we got sidetracked here." He begins walking once more up the trail with his two companions.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"I am not certain. Perhaps we had better have a look. Oh, it looks as if we have company." The Professor turns to face the cloaked figure standing a short distance away with a mule. Making his way towards them awkwardly, as his cane shifts in the sand, he addresses the person.
"Good day to you. Might you be a local?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Alia raises her arms and throws back her hood, sliding the cloak back around her shoulders so that it hangs down her back. Revealed is a beautiful young woman of about eighteen with dusky skin, wide dark eyes and raven-black hair falling below her shoulders. She is wearing a red satin strip about a hands width about her chest, covered with gold [coloured] discs that glitter as she moves, short pants of the same make, and red satin shoes with gold trim. She has thin golden chains about her neck, hips, wrists and ankles from which hang rows of small golden bells, that tinkle and jingle as she moves, and a red precious stone, the same colour as the satin, in the middle of her belly. She places her hands together, fingers upward, and bows.

"Peace be upon you, worthy elder. Alas, I have never laid eyes on this place before. Your humble and obedient servant is Alia bint Husayn al Ramadi, lately of the city of Marsember in verdant and chivalrous Cormyr, formerly of the town of Ramadi in golden and magnificent Calimshan. Interrupted by some mystical..." her polished delivery stumbles very slightly "mists... as I was fetching master Humbert's mule for his early departure I find myself lost in a strange place. Do you perhaps know in what direction and how far the city lies? I should return the animal directly, before he draws unfortunate conclusions regarding my absence with it"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Huln returns Alia's formality with a warm smile, which fades when he begins to deliver the bad news.
"Unfortunately child, it would appear as if you have fallen prey to the same phenomenon that prompted this young woman and myself to these sandy beaches as well.
"My name is Professor Aumnoir, originally of Unther and instructor at the university of Muhlran. The young woman next to me is Ms. Croft. We have only now just met. Like yourself, I was also in the city of Marsember when this phenomenon occurred. Ms. Croft on the other hand is from a land which I dare not pollute her dear ears with another attempt at poor pronunciation.
"Since we would appear to be suffering identical circumstance, would you care to join us while we attempt to sort out the meat of this predicament?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"Unther? Ah yes... the far eastern land famed for the mightyness of its Ziggurats, the prowess of its warriors and the unrivalled knowledge and wisdom of its scholars and sages. How fortunate the Cormyreans are that you have chosen to favour them with your unfathomable intellect! How much more fortunate am I that your wisdom is here to resolve this predicament! If my feeble efforts can be of any help, they are of course completely at your disposal"

She bows again
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Bah!" exclaims Professor Aumnoir. "I have no doubt that with the addition of your mind we will surely accomplish some considerable measure of information to assist us in the pursuit of our mutual goal. Do not sell yourself short. And though wholly appreciated, the formalities are not necessary. In this situation, we are both equals, infants with no knowledge of the world that surrounds us. Let us remedy that by seeking out a local and finding out where we are."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Alia looks surprised but flattered

"yes, at once. That village had someone in it... I heard weeping"

She turns towards the village, pausing slightly in case the other two wish to go first, then heading for the settlement