Back to Basics OOC

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I think everyone in RL know that Mists can get outlanders from other planes. Sara has also a couple of ranks in RL knowledge so guess she can assume Aumn is an outlander. If no I'll edit my post.
Last edited by VAN on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Knowledge: the Planes roll for the Professor in regards to Sara mentioning Demiplane of Dread. I figured that, along with the mists, the core, and the term "outlander" may trigger something. If I am incorrect, just disregard the roll. I will hold off on my next response unless I fail miserably.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2349479/
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Demiplane of Dread?
:shock:
Does anyone actually call it that, in game? I mean, does Sara even know what a demi-plane is? That seems odd for a Ravenloft native, given that very few people have ranks in knowledge: the planes.

Just wondering. Canon lore tends to assume that the overwhelming majority of Ravenloft natives simply call their world, 'the World, or 'the Land' and know nothing of demi-planes. Other worlds are only dimly understood.

Of course, it might be different in Skybolt's campaign. He's the man in charge.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:Demiplane of Dread?
:shock:
Does anyone actually call it that, in game? I mean, does Sara even know what a demi-plane is? That seems odd for a Ravenloft native, given that very few people have ranks in knowledge: the planes.

Just wondering. Canon lore tends to assume that the overwhelming majority of Ravenloft natives simply call their world, 'the World, or 'the Land' and know nothing of demi-planes. Other worlds are only dimly understood.

Of course, it might be different in Skybolt's campaign. He's the man in charge.

My pc if he was from RL would call it the lands or something like that ;)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

From FoS's own FAQ:
What do the common people in Ravenloft know?
The common people of Ravenloft have a limited understanding of the world they live in. The Mists have the ability to manipulate the minds of most of the inhabitants of Ravenloft, and to implant false memories. For example, when a domain is first created, the Mists create a "false history", a fake past that is believed by all the people who were created with the domain. As such, common people will not understand the concepts of "domains", "Darklords" or the demiplane itself.

The Dungeon Master should adjust commoner knowledge to fit his or her campaign, but in general, the following are examples of what a common person would know:

The name of their "realm" and neighboring "realms", and the most important rulers of those lands.
Magic is an unfamiliar, dangerous thing that is best left to those magic-using types, who should be avoided.
Many dangerous creatures lurk outside their village; they will know some of the details of the most common animal nearby, and some details about a species of monster if it commonly preys upon humans.
Of the many dangerous creatures out in the world, there are a few that look like men. Some are called dwarves, elves, gnomes or halflings, though the differences between them aren't really clear. Some folk trade with these queer folk, but its safer to avoid them.
The land has always been the way it is now. Any talk about Grand Conjunctions or demi-planes is just a lot of nonsense - mostly from those magic-using types.
No one knows what's beyond the Mists, and no one wants to know.
From time to time, strange people might appear with strange clothes and languages, who might claim to be from some land far away. Its best to keep your distance from these people; they're often magic-using types, and always trouble.
The Vistani are a strange type of nomads who wander all over the land. Sometimes they put on shows outside of town. Some are thieves and conmen, and others can tell the future, but all have eerie powers.
Common knowledge varies from domain to domain; certain peoples have more experience with phenomena such as magic and divine clerics, while others do not. The following is a short list of exceptions to general knowledge:

The Vistani know a great deal about the demi-plane, including information about domains, darklords, magic, curses and many species of monsters. They will not, however, speak with the same terminology familiar to players.
The people of Darkon have more experience and comfort with demi-human races.
The people of Hazlan have more experience with arcane magic due to the number of wizards retained by their lord Hazlik.
Merchants and sailors may know a great deal about traveling through the Mists, as well as the mistways that link domains.
The people of Lamordia do not believe in the supernatural, nor do they believe in gods of any kind. They are aware of many scientific phenomena.
Some domains have an active clergy, and can produce priests with sufficient training and faith to use divine magic. In these domains, commoners may be more familiar with divine magic and healing.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:
My pc if he was from RL would call it the lands or something like that ;)
Right.

Unless one had multiple ranks in Knowledge the Planes, I wouldn't think one would have ever heard of it being a demiplane. Keep in mind that it's a legend , at best, if not almost unknown in other worlds. After all, people get sucked in- but hardly anyone ever leaves to tell the tale!

I don't know if Skybolt is using the restrictions of natives having ranks in knowledge: the planes. If he is, then 1st level natives cannnot have it, and it's always cross-class and applies mainly to Ravenloft. Studying other worlds is hard in a demiplane that's mostly isolated.

We should seek a ruling from Skybolt on just how much any of the PCs know about Ravenloft's nature.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Yeah and speaking of Skybolt, have our pcs run into other pcs yet on the road? Have we made it to the village?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Yeah and speaking of Skybolt, have our pcs run into other pcs yet on the road? Have we made it to the village?
I expect that may happen soon, but I'm not sure.

We can always converse on the journey....

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Yeah, especially Arnulf's reaction to Cob. That is pretty freaky to him.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Yeah, especially Arnulf's reaction to Cob. That is pretty freaky to him.
Post it and I will reply.

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Just so there isn't any misunderstanding, I made sure to put a disclaimer in my ooc post regarding Ravenloft and Knowledge: the Planes since Huln does have a pretty descent rank in that particular skill. I was not sure how he wanted to handle any possible knowledge of the land from an outlander's perspective.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:Just so there isn't any misunderstanding, I made sure to put a disclaimer in my ooc post regarding Ravenloft and Knowledge: the Planes since Huln does have a pretty descent rank in that particular skill. I was not sure how he wanted to handle any possible knowledge of the land from an outlander's perspective.
Right-we'll have to ask Skybolt.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Alia knows all about the planes. They are the big flat grassy things that run between the mountains. South Central Cormyr is full of them...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Alia knows all about the planes. They are the big flat grassy things that run between the mountains. South Central Cormyr is full of them...
Yup!

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

It is as Ewan says about what people from Ravenloft and how would Sara know instantly that Huln is an outlnader since he is speaking a language native to this world . And so you need to edit your post to reflect your lack of knowledge in this regard . Also I have edited your character sheet to reflect that you can not have Knowledge(Ravenloft) as that is from 2nd Ed. D&D so I have changed it to Knowledge(planes) . But that would not let you necessarily know that you are even on a demi-plane in any way to begin with . No knowledge(planes) check by Huln would then be made then .

P.S. Van you are not playing Ino any more :) :) so remember that you don't have her knowledge base or experience .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .