Mists over the Musarde, Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

One of the local men approches Jon and points at him, exclaiming-

''This is not natural!''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Jonathan looks to Norzak.

"Yeah, lets take that walk."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak will lead Jon out of the Moot House and away from it for some privacy with Jon. If any residents try to get in their way, he will politely excuse himself and Jon and ask to simply pass.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict stands, hating himself already for what he is about to say.

He turns to face the local, the one who pointed at Jon. "The boy says Cirdan did this to him. I've seen this sort of thing before, unquiet spirits that age a person prematurely. It's tragic, but not dangerous. Tell your people there is nothing to be concerned about."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The reaction is, perhaps, not what Benn had hoped for...

''Unquiet spirits!!!''

Looks of stark fear appear on many faces, and the confused babble of the crowd increases in volume.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn rubs the bridge of his nose over his glasses.

"They have no interest in you or your moot. They wanted to work their mischief on the boy, and now they have departed."

He steps forward, lowing his voice and looking around, his eyes resting on the women and children. "Get a hold of yourself, man. There are other ears present hear. We don't want to frighten the women."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio looks at Benn when he mentions unquiet spirits. He gives the scholar a quick look, and then nods briefly. <i>So he is thinking the same thing</i>.

The priest turns to the frightened faces, and taps his coin purse. "Come there is no cause to be worrying. The first round of ale is on me. I am having many drinks to drink tonight."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn and Dorgio's efforts to calm the mounting panic are successful: the crowd breaks up and the tumult dies down as people go to drink, trade, and socialize elsewhere in the Moot-House.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

''Norzak gathers his gear, and along with anyone that will accompany him, sets off for the Old Road that leads to the Misty Border.''
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ottokar gathers his things and joins the dwarf.
The big man seems to have little trouble handling his big, over-stuffed wood- frame pack.

The big, hirsute trader remarks-

''I shall go with you, Norzak. ''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"What about the rest of you lot? Ye gonna follow me?" Norzak is asking Jon, Alain, Benn, Dorgio & Wat.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wat answers-

''I have decided to leave with you and Jon, yes. I have made a bargain with one of the younger men, a fellow that has just married- he and his wife will live in my cabin and keep my garden for as long as I am gone. ''

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio scratches his head and downs another drink. "If the rest of you are going, then I am going. But I am thinking that if we are abandoning these people completely, we may be undoing whatever good we did in slaying Wolutha. Whatever plans Van Diecks, the Doctor, and the rest had with this place, I am thinking those plans are not finished. If we are leaving for good, we may be leaving this place worse then we were finding it. If we can be finding a way out of this land, I am thinking we at least owe it to these people to return, and let them know that they are not trapped as they once were."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"I would like nothing more than to leave this place but, uh...I actually agree with Dorgio on this one. I believe that we are done with the doctor and Van Dieks, but in case that pair still have ill plans towards this place we should stay to protect everyone. However, I believe wholeheartedly that if they are still out there, they are after me, not these folk."
If we can be finding a way out of this land, I am thinking we at least owe it to these people to return, and let them know that they are not trapped as they once were.
At this suggestion Jonathan perks up.

"Benn! I know you are mostly a scholar, but could you perhaps map our way out of here so we may return?"
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ottokar puts in-

''Jon has already told the people of the risks of staying, and suggested that they come with us. They all heard Jon's words, before your companion went mad and attacked him. Some will leave with us, perhaps, and others have chosen to stay. In any event, all the people know that they are free to leave. ''