Mists over the Musarde, Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mists over the Musarde, Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

Moot-ground, two days later

The portal wrecked beyond all hope of repair, Gaston Van Diecks still unaccounted for, and time running out for the meeting with the gypsies, our heroes have made a hurried trek of almost two days' time to reach the Moot-ground. It is an hour past nightfall when you all emerge from the forest at the verge of the noisy encampment, in sight of the great wooden hall.

The Moot is still going on, of course, just as Wat had predicted. Some families have left, but others have arrived. The atmosphere is festive. Pigs are roasted in the fire pits, women sing, and men get drunk on gooseberry wine and dance about the campfires.

The Tinkers are here, too, but they keep to their own camp tonight. Strains of mournful violin music contrast with the drumming and clapping of Wat's folk. The vardos are encircled, like a miniature castle with scowling gypsies for sentries on its walls.

Wat, smiling now and more relaxed than you've seen him in days, says-

''Ah, we've made it, friends! The final celebrations are beginning. In just a couple of days, it will all be over. The sacrifices will be made, and we will all depart.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"It is good to get to some were more civilized than the woods at least . "Alain mutters to himself on hearing that they have arrived .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alain feels something moist nuzzle his hand, then feels hot breath on his fingers. It's one of Wat's hounds, of course.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain responds by petting the the nice dog .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"You see how the gypsies stand ready for attack?" Jonathan whispers to Norzak. "I fear that they may act with some hostility towards us for failing to deliver Van Dieks to them. I still think we should look for our own way home."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio does not hear Jon's comment, which is just as well, for the priest's mind had been boiling with suspicions during the walk back. His thoughts had constantly turned to Jon's ardent hatred of the Vistani. It was something the boy shared with Van Diecks. Was it possible there was some deeper connection between the two? Jon had clearly met Van Diecks before their final confrontation at the keep, but how long had they known each other?

Once they arrive at the moot, Dorgio excuses himself from the rest of the group, and begins searching the crowd for the girl, Irena. Since the last time they visited the moot, Dorgio's dreams had been haunted by visions that something terrible had happened to the girl. Now he searches for her, hoping to put his fears to rest.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict groans and rubs the arch of his nose. "Young man, they are in mourning. One of their own was murdered by someone from outside their group. There is nothing suspicious about them wanting to keep to themselves."

Shaking his head, he hefts the oil-skin sack containing their recently acquired literary treasures and begins making his way in the direction of the Tinkerers. Better to get this over with, sooner rather than later.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"Do what you will with the gypsies, but I speak from experience not ignorance. The Gypsies are liars and thieves and murderers. They will curse you because you are not one of them. Lets send Dorgio to them! He is half gypsy is he not? They may not curse him since he is of their blood."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dorgio, out of sight and hearing of the others, within the great wooden feast-hall

The priest searches the camps and the great hall for the lovely young woman with the auburn hair. He finds her inside the great hall, mending clothing with a bone needle and thread. Her little sister plays with a doll, seated on the dirt floor nearby.

Benn, at the in the camp of the Tinkers-

Benn approaches the ring of wagons. Glowing lanterns hang at the doors of the vardos, and hard-eyed gypsy men squat in the gaps between wagons, or sit in rickety chairs, facing outward. All are wearing knives, and some have stout walking sticks that look as if they'd make handy bludgeons.

One of the sentries calls out

-
''What business have you with us, Giorgio?''

the others, outside the hall, on the meadow of the Moot-ground

Wat holds up the oversized hide sack of dry meat, which he has carried on his back for two days through the woods.

''I'm going to try to swap this smoked pig...maybe for some honeycomb or salt. Would you like to come with me friends, or have you other things you wish to do? ''

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"I will go with you Wat as long as we stay away from the tinkers."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Dun ye worry none, laddie. I won let no gypsie hurt ye. I dinna know them afore so I cant say what they be like. I tend ta judge peoples by their actions if ye get me drift. You stay with Wat and I'll join Benn and fin out what we gonna do next, k?"

Norzak accompanies Benn to the tinkers. Norzak calls out to the sentry.
"We be tha ones ye met a few days ago. We is back with some new developments. Kin we talk eye to eye?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We have business with the Raunie. Is she available?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gypsy camp

''For you, she is. Come in, the pair of you.''

The gypsy men admit Benn and Norzak to the camp.

A half-dozen surly tinkers surround the dwarf and the scholar.

''No weapons, giorgio. Leave those with us.''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak shrugs and hands over his weapons with no fuss.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tinkers

Once Benn and the dwarf have been disarmed, two guards take them to the raunie's vardo.

The backdoor of the colorfully painted wagon-house is open just a crack, and a little trace of fragrant smoke escapes through the gap. It smells like Dorgio's cigarillos, only sweeter.