The Shattered City: Chapter One

Online roleplaying at the Café
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

An apparition of flames glided out of the conflagration. Mr. Agale glanced past the would be assassin. "Nice of you to join us Ambassador, now he is entirely cut off" he lied. The usually articulate Borcan then shouted "ENOUGH!" at the battered servant. Once again his voice took on an unearthly quality, but this time the man shook as though he had been struck.

Hustling to R16, taking the long way round to avoid OAs (Move)
Using Distract on the sniper (Minor)
Using Mind Thrust on the sniper, augment for 2, nonlethal (Standard)
  • 17 vs Will hits on the dot.
    17 nonlethal psychic damage and he has a -4 penalty to all defenses until the end of Agale's next turn.

Save vs poisonous fire (8, so still on fire.. woo)
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Pompous bastard," Lia growls when Vedarrak has disappeared, leaving to her the thankless task of herding nobles. Nevertheless, the task that lies before her is one she can not shirk, so ...

Lia strides to the gallery and takes up position in front of it. And a Wizard with a frightful mask turns on the panicking nobility, arms lifted up high and gripping her staff, which pulses with energy. "Sone!" she shouts, and a loud noise rips through the babble of the crowd.

It is the tolling of a bell, deep as the earth. Bells like these ring out from the tops of mighty temples, except those bells are high up and this one seems to be in this very room.

"All of you, shut up!" Lia roars in the hush that hopefully follows the doleful booming of the bell. "Civlians, get down on the ground and crawl if you want to live! Security forces, to the fore! Start leading the guests to whatever unobstructed exits are at the back of this place, single file! Anyone who tries to run or push others out of the way won't have to worry about being shot, they'll have me to deal with - and I prepared plenty of fire spells today! Those currently closest to the exits in front, and so forth.

Move!"

(OOC: I'm not diplomatic. :-\ I hope this will work, all the same. Using Ghost Sound to create the illusion of a big bell tolling in the room.)
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

“M. Blackwood! Oh, thank the Fates that you have ceased your valorous charge! For, noble though you may be, I fear to announce: I have perceived a gunsho—

Celeste took a moment to look around the gallery.

“…Oh heavens.
Ambassador Vendarrak wrote:"Lia, get these nobles out of here before the whole Gallery burns down." Vedarrak said it softly, but it was unmistakeably an order. "Try a back door, the battle is only at the front. I'll hold the militia and gangs off to give you time, but if we don't evacuate soon, it'll be a slaughter."
Celeste had looked about to say something to Vendarrak, though, in what might have been a fortunate development for all concerned, his teleportation cut her off. Despite the circumstances, she actually managed to look a bit put out at this.

Well! Though it pains me to say it, I confess that I somewhat understand the good Ambassador’s fearsome reputation! How, after all, is one to properly address a gentleman who punctuates an introduction with summary disappearance? A most distressing habit…”

She cast her eyes around the room again, chewing her lip nervously. “…Though—oh, loathsome circumstance!—he nonetheless seems to have the right of it. It is…yes, it must be our charge, as self-appointed shepherds to these innocent guests, to prevent them from further mishap! For how much more than even Art must be valued Life itself?”

Celeste looked at her new acquaintances, a certain satisfaction on her features. “It is settled, then! The paintings shall be retrieved only upon our second foray.” Her smile suggested that, in her mind at least, she had just argued everyone down from saving the artwork first. “For now—noble companions all!—I implore your kind assistance in this delicate task.”
Mlle. Mourneswaithe wrote:All of you, shut up!" Lia roars in the hush that hopefully follows the doleful booming of the bell. "Civlians, get down on the ground and crawl if you want to live! Security forces, to the fore! Start leading the guests to whatever unobstructed exits are at the back of this place, single file! Anyone who tries to run or push others out of the way won't have to worry about being shot, they'll have me to deal with - and I prepared plenty of fire spells today! Those currently closest to the exits in front, and so forth.

Move!"
Celeste's eyes lit up, and she looked appreciatively at the wizard. "Mlle. Mourneswaithe! What admirable initiative! One moment: I shall assist."

With obvious enthusiasm but questionable efficacy, she produced a brightly colored handkerchief from her bag and waved it over her head, speaking in louder-than-usual tones to the crowd at large.

“Coo-ee! Good evening again, kind gallery patrons! I beg you: do not fear, only proceed with calm and orderly consideration as my companion instructs! Remember: it is in trying circumstances that decorum is most called for!”

18 on Diplomacy; I could use Richard's backup on this.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Tessier Gallery, Quartier Savant, Port-a-Lucine; March 11th, 770, 9:00 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image

Cedolin hadn't been kidding about the state of things - the streets leading back to the Tessier had turned into a warzone. Crude wooden barricades were being hastily erected, mostly meant to passively keep people out, but some of them were occupied with riflemen who were taking more aggressive measures. You were lucky, most of the streets Cedolin lead you through were clear of danger, the people there preoccupied with barricading their houses and helping others to saftey. More than a few people called from windows, offering you shelter and safety, but Cedolin kept running. Eventually, you cleared the area where the beggars had assaulted you and got a good look at the Tessier.

"Blast!" Cedolin cursed. "It's already reached here as well."

The area around the building was a pitched battlefield. Militiamen decked out in red and gold were firing on shabbily dressed workers, who had rallied themselves and were firing back. One young man threw a bottle in your general direction, the oil and alcohol shattering into a gout of flame by your feet. The Tessier itself was looking worse for wear - you couldn't see the fire yet, but you could smell it. On the other side of the battlefield, a cloud of mist was heavily rolling in, with muffled screams and shouts of confusion emerging from within.

"No helping it," Cedolin said, starting to run forward into the firefight. Katja caught his arm before the gendarme could do something nearly suicidal.

"We should see if there is a better path, first," she calmly warned, her single eye scanning the area.

================================================
Agale wrote:The usually articulate Borcan then shouted "ENOUGH!" at the battered servant. Once again his voice took on an unearthly quality, but this time the man shook as though he had been struck.
That was enough. Christophe stepped in, knocking the pistol aside as though barely registering its presence, and punched the man in the stomach. The kitchen servant was knocked off his feet and staggered back, falling into a crumpled heap on the floor.

The Renier watched him as he fell, and for a moment it seemed as though Christophe would go and finish the job, but something in the young man restrained him. This, in turn, allowed the battle-rage to leech out of Christophe, which also meant that now Christophe realized that he was bleeding from at least three places and his clothing and body were burned.

The young man swore under his breath, reciting a litany of impolite speech as he tested his arm and the side of his head. The wounds were certainly bloody, but obviously not as serious as had heretofore been suspected, so after checking to see that he still had his ear attached, Christophe went and picked up the pistol, then hoisted the kitchen servant over one shoulder. Though the man was not all that small, Christophe barely noticed his weight.

"Ought to throw him in the fire." The Renier muttered, then looked at Mr. Agale. "Where to now?"

Christophe hits for a further 25 damage, and that is the end of the battle.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Lia Mourneswaithe wrote:Move!"
Celeste Viardot wrote:“Coo-ee! Good evening again, kind gallery patrons! I beg you: do not fear, only proceed with calm and orderly consideration as my companion instructs! Remember: it is in trying circumstances that decorum is most called for!”
Richard clapped his hands over his ears as the bell tolled through the main hall, wincing slightly as Lia's words got lost in the panic and confusion following the noise. "I, I fear that, mask aside, your voice is, is too mellow for you to be a, to make a good drill sergeant, Professor Mourneswaithe," he whispered, looking pained.

"I'll show them 'drill sergeant' if they don't start moving," Alice said darkly. The elder Blackwood could look intimidating when she wanted.

"I'll get around and try to, to lead from the back, if, if you can lead from the front," Richard offered. He raised his voice to the crowd. "Be, be strong, friends. We're going to get you out of this." The two siblings hurried through the crowd like a pair of shepards, Richard's voice soft and soothing, Alice's hard and commanding.

Slowly, much too slowly to suit your tastes, the assembled mass of humanity moved where Celeste had directed. They stumbled along, in ones and twos and small groups, following. Some were in a daze, just listening to a single, understandable voice amidst the shock of the night. Others had their heads more tightly screwed onto their shoulders, leading and directed the groups that followed. One elderly dame, ninety years old if she was a day, organized at least twenty or thirty people with an efficiency that would've shamed someone seventy years younger.

Not everyone left, of course. Some were too dazed to hear, lost in the mad panic or dull shock that came with having the world turned upside down in the space of hours. Others merely thought their ideas for escape were better, breaking off in ones or twos and taking other passages or exits. Others yet were stuck in the mob, and though they heard Lia and Celeste, were simply unable to join.

And some were simply too wounded to go on, bleeding from incidental wounds that came from being on the outskirts of a full-scale battle. Sometimes the more-levelheaded people helped them. But not always.

Still, for all that, many people did go, and it was well over a hundred and fifty that followed Celeste's commands to escape.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Cyrus adjusted his glasses, pulled back his hood, and began surveying the area. He scanned the upper levels of the gallery as if looking for something.

Aha. He spotted a small door way up near some high windows. Probably a spot for servants to go window washing more easily. With any luck, they could get up there, get in, and get back out.

"Look," Katja said aside to Cyrus, pointing to a nearby area. "There's a patch up ahead that's nearly empty of foes. That doesn't seem natural, but we may be able to get to the gallery walls without being shot if we go through there."

Cyrus nodded. "Let's hurry" he said and darted off.

A short time later, Cyrus came across about a dozen people tied up and fast asleep. He frowned darkly and crouched low to the ground, then began scanning the gallery walls to see if he could find a way up.

He frowned again and hurried to the tied up people to see if they would have enough rope to climb up with.

Apparently the DC is Athletics 20 or 10 if we can find a rope.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas is dragged along, apparently! Wow, I barely got a chance to react to the warzone the city's become, he thinks. Seeing Cyrus's idea, Tomas tugs on a brick, experimentally, and it hits him in the face. Ow, he thinks, calmly taking said brick from said face, and carefully setting it down on the ground.

"I was going to say we could dress up as militia men, but they've been tied up with their sleeves, like some sort of rudimentary straight jacket. Furthermore, they're asleep, so moving them'll just wake everyone up..." Tomas scratches his head, ignoring any snickers or chuckles at his failure to climb a wall. Tomas spits at the ground, frustration taking hold and the presence of Lots Of Fellows With Guns all that keeps him from trying to punch a hole through the brick and mortar.

Okay. Okay. You're Tomas Eisenwald, you can do this.

"I've got an idea." Tomas fishes around in his pocket, and hands Katja a leather pouch. She'll feel faintly cold glass inside. "This is my...medicine. If I get shot, stick it in my jugular, even if I look dead."

Cracking his neck, Tomas pulls his hammer out of its harness, and makes his way back to the direct entrance, which is, yep, still blocked with lots of crazy people shooting each other. Eisenwald takes a long, deep breath, steps forward into the light, and swings his hammer into the air. There's a CRACK of thunder and a FLASH of lightning falls from the sky, crashing into Tomas's weapon as he charges forward, swinging the hammer once before reducing an unfortunate barrel to its component elements, which is to say about a billion splinters and ash. Tomas pants, once, twice, and looks up at the horde.

"I don't know if anyone's noticed..." Tomas leads off, gesturing towards the smoke and letting the sound of crackling flame sink in. "But your city. Is on FIRE." A brief pause, before Tomas launches forward, "It might be crazy, I admit, but having some experience in battle I can comfortably say the only way to make a warzone worse is to set it in the middle of a fire. Rich, poor, native, foreign, aren't we all people? Don't we all have that one, basic instinct that's seared into our brains? 'Fire bad!' If you want to kill each other, fine, but at least have the common decency to do it in a place where people aren't trapped inside, burning to death! I don't know about the rest of you fellows, but I'm going to go inside that building and do my damn best to SAVE a life or two tonight-if you want to be killers that badly, it can wait a couple of hours!"

Speech made, Tomas can only think, 'Golly, it would hurt to have a whole mob shoot me with bullets', wincing internally and bracing himself for the pain if this all goes wrong.

(Using Valorous Smite to get some attention. I moved far enough away that even if this goes poorly, the others should be able to take advantage of the distraction.)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Tessier Gallery, Quartier Savant, Port-a-Lucine; March 11th, 770, 9:03 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image

"We can't just let him run out there!" Cedolin desperately protested, trying to get loose from Katja's grip.

"You yourself tried to a moment ago. You know as well as I this may be our only chance," Katja said. The soldier ducked between the building pillars, making for the front entrance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was something to be said for a thunderbolt on a dark night, it got people's attention. A fair number of militiamen and ruffians alike paused in their tracks, just long enough for Tomas' words to reach them. Some of them were too crazed to care, or perhaps just couldn't understand through the madness. Still, just a few, but a few nonetheless, looked down at their guns, as if suddenly waking from a nightmare and wondering what on earth they were doing.

Which is why it was an absolute shame the effect was ruined by a half-brick hitting Eisenwald squarely in the jaw. The annoying mask actually took most of the force, the cracked porcelain face shattering under the strain. What was far more damaging was the effect this had on the crowd.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" a worker roared at the perpetrator, who was engaged in some rather puerile laughter. The brick-lobber simply responded by throwing something else.

"Did you hear a word he said? We don't have time for this!" a woman yelled. She was rewarded by someone shooting at her, and let out a shrill scream by pure reflex. One of the militiamen cursed, retuning fire; someone flung a vial of alchemist's fire at him. The sounds of bullet fire quickly resumed, along with yelled insults and curses. Tomas soon discovered he was entirely correct - it did really hurt to have an entire mob shoot him with bullets.

Eight shots at Tomas, six hit, for a total of 24 damage.

"Monsieur, move!" someone shouted, one of the militiamen dashing forward to rally around him. Others were running to join him - militiamen, a few workers, a passing noble who had simply heard the speech - still others dared not run through the firefight, but peeled off from the firefight, hopefully going to help put out other fires. A few stray bullets caught several of Eisenwald's new retinue, as they all decided to take cover behind the Tessier's pillars, one of them trying to get Tomas to follow. A few people tried to follow them with ill intent, only to be cut off by something appearing in front of them - there was a clap of thunder as they were all flung back, before the figure melted away again and appeared next to Tomas.

"I should have known I'd find you fighting to get back into a burning building," Marcos Vedderak said, with a passable attempt at humor. The hawk mask was gone and the Ambassador was bleeding heavily from the side, but it was exhaustion that was truly weighing on him.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Kerrian did his level best to try and keep people moving, and if need be, assist the wounded. It was almost amusing, on one hand his people had moved to Dementlieu for safety and sanity. And now? Civil unrest, magical lunacy, possible spiritual attacks on the nation itself... One could almost believe that they might've been safer back in Veberek with the werewolves.
Almost.
No.
Actually, not really. Either way, Kerrian was trying to continue directing people out by the safest path he could manage, trying to catch Celeste, Lia, or either of the Blackwoods in the commotion. "Has anyone seen Cerise, or any of the Professors? And are there any more of the elderly that need assistance?"
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I have not," Lia replies to Kerrian's question while she, also, tries to herd those too shocked to move themselves when not cajoling them into picking up those too injured to move themselves. "I do not know where any of them are. This was ... a well-executed attack."
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"We can make sure to congradulate whomever was responsable when we're bringing them to justice. And where are those gendarmes with the red hats? We need somone to get in there to investigate before the entire area goes up in flame..."

The tone in Kerrian's voice suggested that said justice would most likley involve a significant ammount of violence. In the mean time, Kerrian continued in assisting with helping the wounded get to saftey, while trying to at the same time, locate his companions and housemates. And hoping rather much that they had a home to go back to.

After all, home is where the heart is.
And where you keep all your stuff.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

"Oh, courage, dear friends! I cannot help but be certain that it shall all turn out right in the end. Though I, too, wish the safety of our errant companions..." Celeste cast a searching look across the crowd, in a brief respite from her surprisingly efficient turn as evacuator. The young dilettante was actually taking quite well to ushering patrons toward the back entrance, accompanying each run with consoling words and comforting smiles; the Core might have been a hundred-odd years from institutionalized air travel, but one of its residents was presaging the role of in-flight stewardess like nobody's business.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"What can I say, Vedarrak, I haven't been in enough pain today." Tomas grunts, acknowledging the entirely honest statement with a smirk as he dug his finger into his shoulder, struggling for a second before ripping a bullet out.

"We need to get back to the murder room." Tomas explains, then. "I think I know what's causing this." Dig dig dig, RIP, wince. "Tell me when you're ready to move again."

Its not that he TRUSTS Vedarrak so much as he is fairly sure the fascist wizard would pick a far more comfortable setting to kill him in, unless forced. Tomas doesn't exactly have anything on the Ambassador, so therefore he's defending his interests, which means that Tomas can focus on the immediate problems, like the ravenous flames and the curse driving a whole city mad with blood lust.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Tessier Gallery, Quartier Savant, Port-a-Lucine; March 11th, 770, 9:00 PM
Tomas wrote:"We need to get back to the murder room." Tomas explains, then. "I think I know what's causing this." Dig dig dig, RIP, wince. "Tell me when you're ready to move again."
"I detailed Lia to evacuate the building, a task to which her natural proclivities suit her well." Vedarrak commented casually, sketching a swift rune on the marble with his sword, which caused a small earth tremor to knock a number of people down nearby. "I've been keeping the mob off the front door in the meantime, with some wizardly assistance. Though you seem to have distracted them very neatly. By making them shoot you, admittedly."

"I wouldn't try the front door, by the way." Vedarrak added, gesturing to the door behind him. "Last I saw, it was jammed with women in busts and crinolines." The Falkovnian Ambassador didn't quite say that he considered Dementlieuse fashions asinine, but it was more heavily implied than it would've been had Vedarrak not been tired and bleeding. "If I may provide an alternative..."

"Clamo!" The bolt of sound reverberated from the tip of Vedarrak's sword and smashed through a nearby window and window frame. The glass shattered, along with much of the lower wall there, creating a fairly convenient Tomas-sized entrance. Vedarrak commented drily. "I hope no one was standing under it."

Given that there were no screams of anguished pain, no one was.

"Go ahead, and good luck. I'll cover the entrance as long as I can."

Image Image Image Image Image

The crowd trailed its way into the narrow corridors of the Tessier building's offices, the stream stretching out so long that you quickly lost sight of the end. It was still far too slow for anyone's liking, and the line encountered its fair share of troubles. Women in large crinolines got stuck in the hallways on occasion, which would result in some snappish insults and a fair deal of shoving. Those supporting the stunned or wounded also slowed down the procession, having to weigh safety versus expediency. You experienced a bit of relief near the very back of the gallery, where the rooms opened up a bit more, but it was counterbalanced by the heat of fire and a heavy miasma of smoke. Quite a few of the nobles began to murmur uneasily at the signs of fire, and not just out of human panic - history had tragically proven the grand dresses the noblewomen wore to be incredibly flammable.

"Heeeeeeey!" a familiar voice called out. Cerise was skipping along near the middle of the line, accompanied by a bunch of shockingly disheveled, but surprisingly cheerful, nobles. She waved wildly to try and get your attention. "Kerry! Am I glad to see you! I ran into Alice back in the main gallery and she said you would be up here! It took a lot of work to get through all the noblewomen, I wasn't sure we'd be able to catch up!"

"I must say," one of the noblewomen cheerfully tittered aside to Celeste, "you are a fashion inspiration, my dear." All of the noblewomen had apparently shed their bulky bustles and extra skirts somewhere back, leaving them with highly indecent by Dementlieuse standards, but they didn't seem to mind. "Such sleekness, such elegance, and such convenience. I must say that our dresses proved to be no end of trouble in tonight's excitment!"

"Though the gentlemen were quite eager to help us out of them," another woman whispered. There was a round of giggling from the women as the men suddenly burst into fits of coughing. All in all, under the circumstances, the little group appeared to be certifiably insane. But they were calm, cheerful, prompt in following orders, and helping qute a few other lost people in their attempts to escape.

"But, um, I was actually kind of wondering," Cerise began, with a pensive finger to her lips, "I'm not sure things around the city are very safe for us, after what happened... where exactly are we all going to go once we get out?" The nobles next to her all matched her curious expression.

The door out of the Tessier lay before you.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"I'm sure libschen took you giving her orders well." Tomas says, fondly smiling as though he were talking about the gentle curl of her hair or the firmness of her...opinions. "Ah!"

An entrance is made. "You would deny me all the little joys in life, sir." Eisenwald looks at Vedarrak, remembers all of those dead Akari, and cannot quite make himself offer a handshake. "Thank you." will do instead, as Tomas charges towards the hole, shield first. "Out of the way, fire brigade coming through!"

I really, Tomas thinks to himself, hope this works. Stumbling forward, he keeps an eye out for anyone who's actually good at this magic crap, as he desperately cheeses it towards the room of the murder. The idea that the tools he'll need might not be there anymore has occurred to him, but desperate times...
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

"Ought to throw him in the fire." The Renier muttered, then looked at Mr. Agale. "Where to now?"
"Perhaps later." Mr. Agale glanced over his shoulder at the advancing inferno. "For now, we need him to learn more of the mastermind behind this attack. Once we've extracted what he knows, you can do what you wish with him. But for now, I think safely exiting the museum is our priority." With that he hurries through the maze of corridors, heading for an exit.
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."