Realms of Dread, Chapter Four

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana glances around.

"I think the High priest or the Treasurer should be fetched then. I think you may have been robbed: and worse. Someone who can heal... I hope that's all that's needed"
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise shares glances with Jamethon and Alain as the night-soil man gives his account. "Well, that sounds gruesome enough. Thank you, sir.

"Alain, Jamethon... anything else? Or should we head for the orphanage?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Thank you Threen. I'll be here working on the cloak. Maybe there is no rush but I think if I finish it quickly your customer might be more happy and order more things."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Morningmist Hall-

The Treasurer, an elderly priest, is soon brought to the hall. He is joined by two younger priests.

The old man presses his right hand to a plain brass plate mounted on the door, and he whispers something almost inaudible.

The door swings open to reveal a stone vault of modest size. There are several shelves around the room, bare except for a few candlesticks, old books, etc. A few crates are pushed into the edges of the vault. There is a raised stone table in the center of the room; its surface is clear of objects.

Shana's eyes track the blood trail back into the room- until she spots a pair of bare feet, too small to belong to Thumast Alfane, sticking out from behind the table.
One of the others finds Thumast; stuffed like so much garbage into a big empty crate in the right-hand corner of the room.

A healer rushes to attend to Thumast, and his fellow speeds over the table to check on the other victim.

It's useless. Both Thumast and the young acolyte [ Shana recognizes him as Mikam, the blond boy who'd been so eager to help her when she came to ask for help the second time] are stone dead. The boy's throat has been sliced from ear to ear, and his tongue has been cut out and taken. Thumast has these same grisly wounds, in addition to multiple stab wounds to his back and sides. Thumast's fine rose robe is marred with bloodstains, some of which look like smeared handprints [as if someone using the robe to clean his hands the way you'd use any napkin].

The priests and acolytes with Shana are horrified by what they have found. Indeed, the graybeard treasurer slumps to his knees and begins to weep.

''Why? Why did they have to kill them? It is sin enough to rob our temple, to blaspheme against the god- but this, this... ''

One of the priests cradles the lifeless body of young Mikam, tears flowing down his cheeks. He shudders violently and tries to speak, but words just don't come.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Getting to watch office Threan asks to see Captain Rask .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

ewancummins wrote: Rask tells Ironheart-

''Good, good! If some of those child-monsters survived the fires- I want you and the other men to hunt them down and destroy them all. ''

Ironheart, ever the eloquent philosopher that he is:

"Yeah. Don't worry about payment. I do it... For fun."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana stands for a long moment in silent horror, then begins to quietly weep. She looks down at Alfane and the boy, remembering them so vital and alive. After a long moment she grits her teeth and looks up, squaring her shoulders.

"Is there any possibility of... bringing them back? at least long enough to tell us what happened here? If not, can anyone ask Lord Lathander whom has desecrated hiss temple?"

She looks down at the bodies again, but this time the sight brings no tears, but a look of grim determination.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

After scrambling to keep up with the testimony, Alain gives Tam a sympathetic look while stowing his quill and notebook away. "There is no need to be ashamed. We a dealing with some very dangerous creatures who may well have torn you to pieces had the caught you. It is unfortunate that the watch couldn't have been warned sooner, but it is better for all those involved that you were able to leave the scene alive. Thank you for your help and cooperation."

He then gets up and in response to Blaise he replies, "Yes. I think we better had."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:
"Is there any possibility of... bringing them back? at least long enough to tell us what happened here? If not, can anyone ask Lord Lathander whom has desecrated his temple?"
One of the priests answers-

''None of us has grown so wise and strong in the ways of holy magic as to be able to raise the dead to life. Our god does permit me and some others of our temple the blessing of calling upon him for advice, and I will do so now. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana bows her head in acknowledgement. She will make herself availiable to help with whatever they need while awaiting the priest's return.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The priest kneels in a small alcove shrine. Her meditates on the painted icon of Lathander as the air fills with the sweet smoke of incense. Annoiting his ears, brow, lips, and hands with holy water, he begins to pray....

Great Lathander, hear your servant and answer him, I beseech you-

Were the murders of your priest Thumast Alfane and the young acolyte Mikam carried out by a single person operating alone and unaided?

NO

Did the thieves know before they entered our temple that only Thumast and two others could open that door?

YES

Did the thieves know beforehand what the vault contained?

YES

Did they know these things because one of them was a traitor from among our number?

YES

Is the traitor someone that Thumast knew by name?

HE KNEW HER TRUE NAME

Is this person still a part of our church?

NO

Was the traitor formerly a cleric in your service?

YES

Is the traitor still in this city?

YES

Is the traitor known to the city watch?

SHE WEARS A NEW BODY

The priest relates all this to the others.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana looks puzzled by the cryptic pronouncements, but notes them carefully;

"of course, I'm just a visitor here, but if you want any help in tracking down this villain I will provide it. I knew Master Lafane just a short time, but he seemed like a fine man."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Morningmist Hall

The High Priest has arrived at the plundered vault in time to hear the words of the oracle repeated, and also to hear Shana's offer of assistance.
He answers Shana-

''Yes, of course we would like you to help us. I will dispatch three of my clerics along with you to seek out the city militia. There will be justice for our friends, and we will recover the stolen relics.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

W-C Rask's office, Militia HQ

As Blaise, Ironheart, Alain, and Jamethon are preparing to leave the office- the little gnome, Threan Shrenan, pops in the door.

Rask frowns.

''What is it?''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in a dusty backroom, somewhere within the bounds of the city walls

The elf woman studies hard, doing her best to grasp the complexities of the necromantic lore presented in the big leatherbound tome.

He tutor is one hand to answer questions and offer advice or encouragement.

He adjusts a shutter to let in more light.

''I am quite pleased with your progress. You ought to have joined us long ago, for you display a natural inclination for necromancy. Soon you will be ready to test you new powers. Developing your mastery over the walking dead is no small thing; these beings, as you well know, can be dangerous when left uncontrolled. ''