Realms of Dread [IC] Chapter Three

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rardi-

Rardi's cell door opens. A strange woman enters. She wearing a fine quality green silk gown and a necklace decorated with tiny gold and silver coins. It's hard to be sure about a human woman's exact age- they don't grow facial hair once they hit child bearing age, not like dwarves! She might be about thirty years old. Judging by the way the guards instantly begin to fawn over this yellow haired woman, it's a safe bet that most human males would find her desirable.

The woman speaks to the guards.

''Remove her gag and bring us some water, please.''

''Yes ma'am!''

The men hop to do the lady's bidding, faster perhaps than even if the bailiff himself had given the order. Rardi's mouth is soon free. It takes a moment for the muscles to get working again.

The blonde woman sits on a wooden chair brought to her by a guard, careful to hitch her skirt so that it doesn't become fouled by the dirty floor of the cell.

''I cannot say that the bailiff's gaol has much to recommend it as a place for a polite conference. I should imagine that you, as well, are rather less than pleased with the accommodations. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Threan

Glimzine enters the office and immeditately spots his brother, who is enjoying a game of chess with one of the guards,

''It is good to see you, brother! I've made ready to heal your friends, just as you'd requested. I do hope none are too badly injured. In your message, you said that Inovidil would probably need it the most. Can we go see her now? ''
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Will have to see Davos(the Bailiff) to get you into see her . For you to treat her injuries ." with that he asks one of the guards where he would be so he can introduce his brother to him .
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Threan-

The guard answers-

''He's talking with the lady now, Master Threan. His orders were for no vistors until she gives her final written statement. I can take you two to see him as soon as that interview is over.''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi eyes the blonde haired woman suspiciously. Once she is ungagged, she rasps "I only gots me one question." Pausing she continues, ignoring any water offered, "Who are ye an why ye interested in me? I s'posed ta be impressed that tha guards lissened an obeyed ye? Lissen ta me, I is innocent. Ye gonna get me out? Otherwise dun come in 'ere ta waste me energies n effort. No offense intended, ma'am, o course. Ye ere ta help me or I kin get back ta sleepin?""
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rardi-

'' You have asked me five questions, not only one. ''

The woman smiles and says-

''You requested a cleric, and here I am.''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana leaps from her bed with a scream, diving across the room and whirling round, raising her hands to cast a spell...
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil is slightly relieved when the Bailif entered and orders the guard to get the sword off her. She readies the document twice and says:

"This is what has happened yes. But there were 2 headless bodies in lab. And of course none of us knew what was that creature and what it was capable to do. Yes Rardi hit Delthrin, was angry with him and said that he deserved a bad fate, but she intended from Justice! I'm absolutely sure about that!"

Inovidil tries to sound calm but she wasn't. The facts were there and were exact. She just hopes the Bailiff and the rest believe that the dwarf didn't intend to kill Delthrin. A cleric and divination spells were the only hope for Rardi, at least that is what Inovidil believes.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"So ask me if I killed Delthrin with yer lie detection spell. An which Temple ye be representin?"

Rardi will attempt to look at the woman's holy symbol.

"An ask yer deity if Delthrin is dead. That headless body could be anyone's."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

ewancummins wrote:A moment later, Watch-Captain Rask enters the cell.

''Helm's eyes, Redman! Jamethon told me that you'd all been captured on some cockeyed off-the-books job. Are you well? ''
Blaise listens to Rask, a smile playing upon his lips. "You know, Watch-Captain, I received ... training from some of the greatest manipulators in existence, and I think they'd be bored by recent events. I'm more patient." He takes another sip from the flagon. "Yes, sir, I'm well, all things considered. For some reason, your colleague is focused on persecuting - prosecuting? same thing right now, I suppose - Rardi.

"But one thing that I was about to tell the baliff if he wasn't in such a big rush to impress himself..." -- he raises his voice as though yelling to catch the baliff's attention -- "...is that Delthrin's death is itself a huge manipulation. Quite clever, actually.

"Humor me for a minute and assume that Delthrin is behind the beheadings you originally had us investigate. The question: Why just heads? A well-respected necromancer like him could easily procure freshly dead bodies in town, all nice and legal. So, why heads? It didn't make any sense to me until I had time to think about what the others found in Blackpillars: a mind-flayer, tortured and partially ... well, dissected, based on what I heard. What does a mind-flayer do? Frankly, I'm more well read than you, so I'll tell you: It eats brains. I prefer chicken, but that's me.

"Delthrin already knows what a mind-flayer can do, so why capture and scrutinize it to such a degree? Could he be trying to replicate some of its abilities? Let's say that all of the heads that he's collected are still, well, 'alive' in some necromantic preservation. That's a good amount of brain power -- heh, 'brainpower,' that's funny -- at his fingertips, but he can't do anything with it ... and that's where the mind-flayer comes into play. Delthrin may believe that he can gain power by eating the intelligences of these collected heads -- ick -- if he can replicate, either through spell or some sort of vile graft, the mind-flayer's abilities.

"So what happened last night? Delthrin is an arrogant, lying, backstabbing, venomous, scum-sucking necromancer, but he's no idiot. Even in his weakened state, he offered the mind-flayer a better deal than Archedius could. Yet Delthrin couldn't return to Blackpillars - not with a circle of suspicion tightening around him. So with the mind-flayer's assistance, he fabricated his own death. That body could well be Delthrin's, but if he's been keeping heads 'alive' for a while, it would be child's play for a wizard of his skill to do it to himself. In fact, the mind-flayer may have insisted on it, now that the tables have turned and it now has the upper hand over Delthrin."

He takes another drink. "Well, that's what I think. Anyway, if you can get me out of here soon, sir, I'd appreciate it. Our allies are in danger, both from within and without, and there's a smuggling ring that needs to be broken up, after all. I know a few arcane tricks, but without my scrolls and my components, I'm as helpless as a babe in this cell."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Blaise

Rask frowns.

''I wish to all the gods that you are right. We'll find out soon, I expect. I've requested to examine the body- and you are coming with me. They haven't charged you with anything, so the bailiff is releasing you.'

The Watch-Captain lays a hand on Blaise's shoulder and fixes him with an almost fatherly look-

''Come on, my boy, let's get started.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rardi-

''Allow me to answer your questions in turn, servant of Lathander.

I am Nissa Gyrglass, a servant of Waukeen. I am here to help the cause of justice.

I will examine you and determine if you are telling the truth. By signing this document

[produces a paper]

you agree to this verification.

Further, you should know that I will call up the spirit of the headless man. If he is Delthrin, I shall confirm this before witnesses. You may be included among the witnesses, if you like.
My identification of the body will be accepted as a fact by the courts.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Shana-

Shana becomes entangled in her sheets and falls to the floor-

and wakes up with Widow Callum's young daughter standing over her.

The freckle-faced, bucktoothed girl looks at Shana, a worried expression on her face.

''Master Moorkroft said to check up on you. Are you alright, ma'am? Have a bad dream?''
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi sighs with relief. "Awright Miss Gyrglass, well met. Ye kin start anytime ye like. I do need one small favor. Please have Inovidil and Blaise released. They shouldn't be here as I am.. Ye shall soon see I din't kill noone."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rardi-

Nissa Gyrglass answers,

''Well met.
I am at liberty to share some information: the bailiff intends to release Blaise Redman. He isn't being charged with any crimes, you see. As for your other friend, I will do what I can to help her- if I am satifised of her innocence. First, of course, I must speak with her in person. ''