When Two Worlds Meet - concept discussion

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Then let me answer your questions by asking a question: What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Are we wanting to create a story that draws these character into Ravenloft and then catalogs the adventures/misadventures that take place? Or are you wanting to do something else with this project?

I'm just wanting to get a feel of what you've been thinking thus far to better see the proverbial path that lies ahead.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

A very good question, thank you.

I guess, when it all boils down, I am aiming to do something that explores the nature of loyalty, the circumstances that inspire it, and the lengths to which people will go to follow it. It is loyalty to the Nameless One that keeps the Tormented together, it is loyalty that compels them to find him, it is loyalty that draws them into the Realm of Mists and through its shadows in order to bring him back into the light.

...But I guess that isn't really an answer, is it?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

No, it doesn't completely answer my question, but I do have a better idea of the overall premise that you're thinking about. Since we're discussing this topic in the Fan Fiction forum, then I'm leaning toward this probably becoming some sort of story in its final version.

Give me a couple days to give this some thought as well (especially since I just happened upon this topic a couple hours ago). I've got a couple ideas popping into my head, but I'd like to review a couple things and refamiliarize myself with some of these topics before saying too much. However, I think that we could probably hash out a basic plot outline in the next few days and move forward from there...
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

So I should expect you in a couple of days, after you've done some thinking? That's more than I could have expected, so I thank you- trying to figure out just what I wanted to do and which direction to take this in is why I came nosing around for help in the first place.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Yeah, I should be able to be back either Monday or Tuesday evening after work (varying a bit depending upon my wife and toddler's schedules). But I imagine that I should be able to provide some feedback, general ideas, and some direction at that time.

And, again, you are welcome. While a somewhat limited group of people at times, this community has always been a good one. I'll check back with you in a couple days.

Jason
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Sorry about the delay. My daughter has been pretty ill the last couple days, so I've been juggling taking care of her with my wife. That being said, I did spend some time mulling over your proposal in my head. Honestly, my best suggestion would be to approach this topic as a story (I just don't see it really being detailed well enough as anything else).

Obviously, there are a lot of literary ways to approach this, but my thoughts would be to do something along the following lines:

1) Introduce the characters to your reader(s) - provide descriptions and details of each of the Tormented so that the reader would be familiar with who each of the characters are. I think starting them out in Sigil would be good. Perhaps, the group has gone there to regroup and discuss the next steps in finding The Nameless One (TNO).

2) Introduce TNO to the reader(s) - again provide descriptions and details to bring everyone up to speed. This portion could probably be fleshed out during a scene from TNO fighting in the Blood War.

3) Have TNO get sucked into Ravenloft. Not sure how best to do this, but keep in mind that previous sources stated that the Mists did not reached the Outer Planes. I would say that using the flavor of Planescape, a portal to the ethereal plane (gone awry) might be the best touch.

4) Tormented group somehow track TNO to Demiplane of Dread. They travel there in the hope of finally finding him.

5) Misadventures for Tormented (and TNO) occur. Need to flesh out this portion, but this would depend largely upon how long of a story you want this to be.

6) TNO and Tormented finally reunite and search for way to leave. If you want him to escape, it might warrant members of the group to make sufficient sacrifices to set him free. If you read the book based off of the Planescape: Torment game, then you'll have a good idea what I mean.

I know that this is pretty bare bones, but you get the general idea of the storyline. I kind of like the idea that the story flips between the group and TNO; first section follows the Tormented, second sections follows TNO, third section goes back to the Tormented, etc. This style would keep the reader interested in both sides as you slowly draw them together.

Anyway, just my general ideas to help get you started. Let me know if this coincides with for what you were looking. Or let me know what other ideas you may have for this project.

Jason
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I'd say your suggestions are pretty much perfect. Bare bones, yes, but an excellent guideline all the same.

Hmm... for step 1, would you recommend making this meeting of the Tormented out to be the first one for the purpose of finding The Nameless One, or just the most recent of many? The openings of Dragonlance's Darkness & Light and Dragons of Autumn Twilight, respectively?

Hmm... is step 3 really neccessary? Or, perhaps, would it be better to show the Nameless One in the realm of mists without him being aware of where he is (save that this is not Baator nor the Abyss) or how he came to this place? I'll admit that I'm just not sure if someone damned to the Blood War could even take a portal to the Ethereal, but I do think it might be better to leave his transition -or even if he is in Ravenloft- ambiguous, at first.

The point & counterpoint (Tormented/Namless One) style sounds attractive to me too.

So, with these details, where do I/we go next?

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Hell_Born wrote:Hmm... for step 1, would you recommend making this meeting of the Tormented out to be the first one for the purpose of finding The Nameless One, or just the most recent of many?
My opinion would be for the latter option. If this is the most recent of many meetings, then you have more leeway to fill in details of things that may have happened since the conclusion of the computer game. Plus, you can skim over some of details if they've been doing this for a while.
Hell_Born wrote:Hmm... is step 3 really neccessary? Or, perhaps, would it be better to show the Nameless One in the realm of mists without him being aware of where he is (save that this is not Baator nor the Abyss) or how he came to this place?
It is necessary, since he has to end up in Ravenloft. However, you don't have to walk the reader through the details of exactly how he gets there. He could merely have arrived there without realizing it, and you would just need to start detailing things so that the reader would be able to recognize where the Nameless One is (even if TNO doesn't know).
Hell_Born wrote:The point & counterpoint (Tormented/Namless One) style sounds attractive to me too.
Thanks!
Hell_Born wrote:So, with these details, where do I/we go next?
At this point, I'd suggest that you put pen to paper and start drafting section one. If we go by the general outline, then you'd be setting the stage with having the Tormented group gathering and discussing search options.

Key thing to remember is to provide plenty of descriptions and details to start fleshing these characters out. While we have a working knowledge of them from the game, many readers might not.