Yuan ti in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

The Giamarga wrote:
Brandi wrote:Y'know, I'm glad someone's still getting use out of that primer. :)
It's an excellent piece of work. Is it already hosted on this site?
Y'know, I don't know if it is, but I'll happily make a copy available for the Fraternity should they wish to host it.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I don't believe it is. Send it my way or Ron's, we'll add it to the site.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Joël of the FoS wrote:I don't believe it is. Send it my way or Ron's, we'll add it to the site.

Joël
I can do that; I might like to rewrite part of it first-- in particular, there was some rules ambiguity at the time that in the article I mentioned ought to be resolved by "Azalin"... which tells you just how old that article *is*! (I don't think it was resolved here, and archive.org didn't grab the old Kargatane forums :( but I think I can make a decent judgment call on my own here.)

Wish I was artist enough to enhance it with illustrations of Zaglaive and Lurzed! :arijani:
Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but maybe I can provide a little food for thought on the subject. Snake people are hardly unique to D&D. If you want some ideas about integrating them into RL you could find some in an hour or so with a Google search. A few movies have been made with the idea of serpent people too:

Cult of the Cobra
The Reptile

I've seen Cult of the Cobra, though it was quite a long time ago, but I can confirm that it was fairly predictable. I've never seen The Reptile. Sounds like it might be worth the trouble finding to see it.
Formerly known as SpiritCaller.
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

I want to say that the same god the yuanti worship is the god the little crocodile men in Sourange worship. The ones that infect....the werecrocodile from Children of the Night: Werebeasts. I forget his name.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Mershaulk? He's actually a demon lord as of 2E's Monster Manual iirc, but recently the deity Set usurped his position and poses as Mershaulk under the name Sseth in 3E's Serpent Kingdoms. At least in te Forgotten Realms cosmology. He's a bit similar to Yig, from Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos and someone on dicefreaks posited that he maybe started out as the serpentine animal lord. Other's say the Yuan Ti were created by Yig, but later converted to Mershaulk.

Here's a nice take on him: link.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Joël of the FoS wrote:I don't believe it is. Send it my way or Ron's, we'll add it to the site.
Took me too long to sit down and revise it, but I've just sent it off to you.
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Yuan ti in Ravenloft

Post by Galeros »

Thread Necromancy!! :azalin:

Serpent Kingdoms also mentions Wereserpents. A Yuan ti creating Wereserpents and terrorizing a domain could make for a good adventure.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Not too long ago, I saw a DMs Guild product called Phantasms of Sri Raji, and it had Yuan-ti in it disguised as human colonists called Ophslanders. I have only seen the 33 pages available in the preview.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yuan-ti in Ravenloft should IMO be the product of a curse. Either someone did something bad and Yuan-ti showed up to make his life more miserable or some people went too far and were turned to Yuan-ti.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Galeros wrote:Thread Necromancy!! :azalin:
Attachments
what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg
what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Galeros »

alhoon wrote:Yuan-ti in Ravenloft should IMO be the product of a curse. Either someone did something bad and Yuan-ti showed up to make his life more miserable or some people went too far and were turned to Yuan-ti.
Yuan ti being a product of Markov's experiments could be a thing. Markov does some experiments om humans and snakes, decides he does not like the results and abandons the results on the island. Eventually some escape to the rest of the core.

Yuan ti were the result of Sarrukkh experiments in the Forgotten Realms so having them be the results of Markov's experiments in Ravenloft would be a nice parallel.
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Galeros »

Yuan Ti as the result of a curse is also an awesome idea. I have this idea of a person who was cursed and turned into a Yuan Ti Anathema and who spawned off the rest of the Yuan Ti. The Anathema is worshipped as a god by the Yuan Ti and hire themselves out as Assassins. The Anatheme itself is not quite Darklord material and the original person cursed may not have even deserved it.

Darkon seems like a good domain for this to take place in.

That is a rough outline of this idea anyways. 8)
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

Maybe treat some Yuan-Ti in Ravenloft like how some Drow appeared in Arak. They appeared on Markovia and Markov got interested in them since they are already human/snake hybids.
Lizzie
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lizzie »

Hlondeth is an independent city-state in Faerun on Toril that was ruled by Yuan-ti halfbloods since 6th century
link to web page:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Hlondeth

(took me so long to find so your welcome lol)