Yuan ti in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Yuan ti in Ravenloft

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Hi everybody,

Does anyone have material, articles or ideas about using yuan ti in Ravenloft? I think they have great potential, but haven't found any reference to their presence in the Lands of the Mists.

Yours truly,
Jack the Reaper

PS Is there anyone here who still remembers me from the good old days on the RL mailing list, about 12 years ago?
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I know there was a yuan-ti mentioned in the RL DMG, but other than that I cannot think of any references.

I can see them working well in the Land of the Mists. Snake cults and serpent worshippers spring to mind, as do the more jungle-like domains. I'd cast them as humans who are slowly being altered by the Mists and Dark Powers and/or black magics. A spiritual cult with a giant snake statue in its base they pray too for power. Maybe a fallen thieves guild.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Heyas Jack (yes, I remember you),

I also cannot recall anything about Yuan-ti in Ravenloft, but off the top of my head I would think they would also work well in the Steaming Lands cluster, or even in the Amber Wastes. A cult could easily be worshipping Set in Har'Akir, this ties them into Ravenloft's religious customs, rather than importing some outsider deity.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

If we're talking snake cults, it might be better to have them worshipping Apophis in the Amber Wastes.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

They might make a good replacement for the Marikiths in Timor, too, if you don't feel like using them.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nope, I don't recall any references to them.

But yes, I remember you. Good to see you around again... Welcome!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

We recently discussed the Sleeping Beast of Lamordia, for which i would find a cult of snake people very fitting. A Deep Ones analog so to speak.

They should also fit in Rokushyima Tayoo or better even into Sri Raji.

Mangrum's Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror has a few entires for them here.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

The yuan-ti in question was a half-fiend pureblood ghoul lord who lords over an oasis, convinced he's the incarnation of his god (I can't remember which one, but I know it was Akiri; maybe Set or Apep).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Is there a lost of links to those teeny tiny tale things?
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

As an alternative to snake cults and degenerate worshippers (though that's certainly the dominant role), lone Yuan-ti can make for interesting tempter/seducer characters.

The idea is to hearken back to the old idea of the Serpent as tempter, and have a Yuan-Ti as a somewhat less mystical version of Inajira or a Leanansidhe (I'm mixing references horribly here, aren't I?).

In this case, the narrative focus of the story isn't so much on the Yuan-Ti as on its victims, with the Yuan-Ti becoming a tool for someone's temptation, degradation, (and unless the PCs stop it), destruction.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I thought there were Yuan-Ti cults in Sri Raji?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:Is there a lost of links to those teeny tiny tale things?
Just do a search for "teeny tiny tales" and select "search for all terms." It should bring them all up. Those were fun. good times... good times...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Yuan ti in Ravenloft

Post by Catman Jim »

Jack the Reaper wrote:PS Is there anyone here who still remembers me from the good old days on the RL mailing list, about 12 years ago?
The Mists never really let us go, we always end up back in Ravenloft. Good to hear from you again, Jack! Has it really been so long? :?
I only wish I had retired sooner!
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Nova Vaasa has a significant snake population and a climate that would square with Lovecraft's snake people stories.
The cure for what ails you
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Thanks for all the replies. I came up with this topic because I acquired "Serpent Realms" (of the Forgotten Realms), which describes the societies of snakelike and reptilian creatures in the Realms, and I pondered how could they fit into RL. Anyone got this product?

Now I also remember that in CotN:Werebeasts, there is that snake woman Shenaya, who is the daughter of some mysterious snake-fellow. Maybe it could be the link to the yuan-ti.
Also in the late Kargatane site there was a list of Dungeon adventures of RL. and they mentioned there an adventure named "The Slave Vats of the Yuan Ti" (IIRC), which is originally set in the realms, but they said is very appropriate in mood for RL. Anyone knows this?

Yours truly,
Jack the Reaper