The Eye of Anubis: Book Twelve

Online roleplaying at the Café
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

[OOC: Reflex Save: 24 ouch , Fort Save: 25 really ouch - good thing IM killing myself this round :roll: ]

The spells rained down their fire and shadow on him, but Sascha stood firm. Despite the flesh charring and the chainmail melting away, he still stood. Even through the sickness and weakness in his limbs, he still stood. And still the point of the sword remained pressed against his chest, unerringly seeking his heart.
"Stop him! He can't be allowed to kill himself. Blake! Shoot him quickly! Stop him! SOMEONE KILL HIM!"
Sascha's face creases in a smile, an indulgent smile an elderly relative gives to a wayward child. Then the smile burns away as his eyes flash with righteous fury... "Too late."

"Beherith.... I CALL YOU OUT!" He shouts spitting blood in Cavendishs direction.

Chainmail is pulled away, muscles tense then with a smooth action Sascha plunges the sword deep into his chest. The blade sharp as a razor, whetted with the blood of so many, cuts unerringly, piercing his heart.
Rock wrote:"Rest well and easy. You will be remembered for this, if I can help it."
As he falls to his knees, words tumble form his lips... "I neither ask for nor....." he pauses to cough a mouthful of blood "expect glory, I am monster..... I have always been a monster and ...... I accept my fate."

Then fainter so only Tomas, Lia or whoever is closest can hear, he adds in between pants of breath "....Rip... out... his... black... heart."

Saschas eyes open wide as eternity comes rushing in, there were faces there, faces he had fled from for so many years, not any longer...

A small flame flares briefly from the charred wooden relic around the Knights neck, flares briefly then dwindles away to nothing.

{OOC: Coup-de-grace on himself as full round action and failing the fort save voluntarily, although based on Sascha saving throws receently he'd proabley have flunked it anyway.]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

Kuzan uses a move action to draw another scroll of Mass Cure Moderate Wounds. Uses Mobile Spellcasting to move to H14 and casts it on himself, Charles, Tomas, Lia, Sarari and Spell Wraith Electricity.
Heals 2d8(10)+11 = 21 hp, DC 19 Will save for half.

Unfortunately there was mist in the way when Charles went to negatives so he can't get off a Close Wounds.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Did you really think," Kuzan snarled through gritted teeth at Cavendish, "that you could continue your atrocities forever? Did you honestly believe that you could go on violating Her sacred order for eternity? Did you think that all the time you spent goading us and dogging our steps would not come back to you?"

The healing, holy power emanated outward, covering the people closest to him. A burning, fiery fanaticism raged in his eyes -- not the fury of the tulpa, but the devout passion of one devoted to life and death.

"Face your fear now, fiend," the priest spat, "All that you have visited upon others shall be returned to you in full. You will be destroyed and there will be no return. The Black Mother will seize you and for your heresy, She will inflict torment upon you such as even you have never imagined. Even you cannot escape Her."

"You have lost. Now die."
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

NeoTiamat wrote:"How many times do I need to shoot you people?" James yelled, barely aiming the crossbow bolt that tore into Dieter's body, slamming into the youth's body and staying there, a shard of wood that must have been unimaginably painful. "Just stand still and die already!"
But Otto was already...somewhere...

It was hard even to pinpoint his voice as it bounced from wall to wall.

"Never. We do not leave off our missions once the day is through."

--Pa-ZING--

"We are quick. We are efficient. We will sacrifice ourselves for the good of our cause. We are full-time. And we will never go away."

--click-click--KA-BLAM--

All right, now I'm going to attempt to screw with the guy. Making the first half of that speech, moving *up* to W20, making the second half of that speech (so it sounds like I'm coming from the middle of the three balconies), then zipping back southward, up the stairs, and up to A22, (at ground level), at which point I will burn one charge of my bracers to get around all that cover (the corner; Dieter) and shoot James. Hit him with a 35, for 37 regular damage and 5 electricity damage. Yes, with Haste, Fast Movement, and Fly speed, I *can* actually make that with a single move action. :-) If at any time my silly diversionary tactic gets me within frightening range of the Spiritwall, then shorten it accordingly--I don't want to risk that Will save if I can prevent it.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Charles peers through the mist, hoping that the alteration he felt when he used his nullifying spell is doing someone some good, and the world becomes a curtain of red and black, and he is falling into darkness...

And then he comes to, crouched on his hands and knees and smelling of sulfur, to see the fog has been burned away in his immediate vicinity and Kuzan lowering his hands. Healing, he notes distantly. Wonderful idea.

He can spare no time to mourn the fallen knight whose heroism has just won the day (well, a large part of the day; letting Ramsey get away would rather take the bloom from the rose, still). Death is far too near for the rest of them still. Taking a quick look around, (no Ramsey in the mists, there's Sarari he looks down and realizes he's still clutching a soot-streaked sheet of paper. Well! Convenient! The light from the burning opera house gives him just enough illumination to read what is written. "Sanare pluribus," he says, and watches the words brighten to gold and disappear as their energies settle on those the spell has reached, then pulls out another scroll and unfolds it. Just in case.

Using the scroll to cast mass cure light wounds on himself, Tomas, Kuzan, Lia, Sarari, and the unfortunate hostage of Song. Caster level check for using a scroll of a spell he's not high enough level to cast: 29. So that's fine. Everyone gets 16 hit points healed. Move action to get out another scroll.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Sascha...?" Tomas catches the mighty Vos, watching the life leech out of his eyes. He hears his friend's last request, and remembers that this man had nothing to do with any of this...he would've been entirely justified to just leave the whole mess to the fools who started it.

"...Sascha..." Tomas manages, running a hand through the clammy hair of the knight templar. There's nothing left-but an old oath, and the last words of a man far better than Tomas Eisenwald could ever hope to be.

There are no words. As Tomas forces himself to stand up straight, kicks the ground and hurtles through the air, ripping through the poisonous mist of Cavendish, his silver tongue fails him. Lightning crackles around the warrior as he skids along the ground, stealing sparks from the meeting of steel and stone and growing in brilliance and might as he gets closer and closer. There is only fury!

The rage of an infant god struggling to break out of its cocoon! The fury of Eisenwald!

(OOC: Charge. 10+17+4+3+2+2-4-2: 32
Damage: 5+5+4+12+2+4-2: 30 damage.)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Grand Opera Nationale, Port-a-Lucine, Dementlieu
September 18th, 761, 2:46 PM; Day 184 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Lostboy wrote:"Beherith.... I CALL YOU OUT!" He shouts spitting blood in Cavendishs direction.

Chainmail is pulled away, muscles tense then with a smooth action Sascha plunges the sword deep into his chest. The blade sharp as a razor, whetted with the blood of so many, cuts unerringly, piercing his heart.
"No, no, no, you don't know what you're doing!" Cavendish yelled, his voice high and tense. The mage took a step forward, towards Sascha, then hesitated. "You'll destroy everything! STOP!"

It was too late to stop. With Sascha's death, something that had been in the making for millennia had come full circle. The shadow of a Duke of Hell had been called into this land, and now, thousands of years later, Dzemianovitch put back that which Menetnashte had called up. The light fled from the penitent knight's eyes, and his heart beat no more.

There was a moment of silence.

And then it began. The Eye of Anubis, the means by which Beherit had been imprisoned, began to shatter. First a chip of emerald fell to the ground. Then another, slightly larger chip broke away. A hairline crack worked its way up the length of the gem, the darkness inside it now stirring and pulsing like a mad thing. Larger pieces broke away as the pressure could no longer be born, and then, without warning, the Eye of Anubis exploded.

Tiny shards of emerald flew out in a spray across the Opera House, propelled with a force like a bullet. They slammed into walls and floors, leaving deep marks, and a few slashed through human flesh as well. But they were small, and hardly the most important thing clamoring for attention.

For Beherit, the Shade of Hell, was free. The rushing darkness poured out of the Eye, growing larger until it filled the stage. Beherit was huge, twice the size of the hapless Cruor. The eye shied away from him, refused to accept that something so utterly out of place could exist. The demon was a two-dimensional entity, this you grasped, but beyond this one fact all you felt was a sense of some great, horrific shade, painful to contemplate and hideous to behold.

The Shadow of Beherit roared, or hissed, or some malificent combination of both, and in that sound you could hear ever ill thing of the world. Gluttony, for Beherit would consume this world if he but could. Sloth, for the demon would create nothing. Wrath, for he would destroy everything. Lust, for his unholy desires. Greed, for he would take everything into himself. Envy, for Beherit hungered for that which he could not have, life. And last of all, Pride, for Beherit was master of all that he surveyed, had power over every shade and through it over every thing. Every sin of mankind, every crime and wrong, was held in that one magnificent, monstrous whisper.

The Duke of Hell stepped forth out of the Shattered Eye, and... was trapped. Through his connection to the world, he was free, but now his connection, the fallen knight, was slain. And though Sascha's last breath still hung in the air, now Dzemianovitch traveled to a different world, and Beherit, will he or nil he, would be coming with him.

For where Sascha had died, now opened a little portal into the realms of the dead. These portals opened always, whenever life proved mortal, whenever anything died. Small things, in the heart or the soul, too small to carry through the metaphysical weight of a creature like Beherit. Usually. Some things were simply too strong to die, but Menetnashte had rewritten the rules an aeon ago, and now Sascha had turned the key to open a greater portal than before.

The knight's body shone. Subtly at first, but then an insistent glow that came from blood and bone, flesh and armor alike, light like from a small sun. It was into this light that the Shadow of Beherit was drawn, one tendril at a time. At the first touch of shadow and light, the demon screamed, and it sounded like a chorus of all of the damned screamed with him. Maddened, gibbering, unnatural, impossible sounds were contained in that scream.

You touched a hand to the side of your head, and found it damp. Blood flowed from your ears at that impossible sound.

Air was pulled into that portal of light, the wind picking up strongly. Buildings could be moved by this wind. From the corner of your eyes you could just make out that Beherit's own form began to flicker, ripped apart by the phantasmal wind. Slowly, inch by stubborn inch, Behrit was pulled into the portal of brilliant death that was Dzemianovitch.

Nor would he be the only one. Cavendish had recovered his wits, or at least a portion of them, and began to run... but it didn't matter. Cavendish could've ran to Vechor, and his fate would've still been sealed. The necromancer, no less than Dzemianovitch, was Beherit's master. Their fates were now entwined, and if the Shadow of Beherit's fate was death, then Ramsey would join his erstwhile servant in it.

Tendrils of pure darkness, an absence of light complete and unmarred, curled around the fleeing mage. The necromancer screamed, a primal sound of fury and despair and terror, and smote Beherit with his spells. Fire, coils of shadow, none of it had any effect at all. All splashed against Beherit's shadowy form and disappeared, lost in the darkness. Even as the light from Sascha's body nibbled away at the demon, the tendrils dragged Cavendish back, inexorably pulling the necromancer forward. Nothing that Cavendish could do would make the shadow give way. The twisting mass reacted only once, when Tomas ran forward and slammed his sword into Cavendish's chest.

It was not a mortal wound, it should not have been a mortal would, as grievous as it looked. Yet Cavendish was dead already, and only waiting for the reality of it to catch up with him. A brilliant light burst from the wound, running across Ivorsen like white lightning, so bright it was almost unbearable to look at. The light from Sascha flared as it joined with the light from Ramsey, growing in size until it swallowed the necromancer in it's radiance.

"This wasn't supposed to happen. I had it planned... It was going to work!" Cavendish gibbered, abandoning spells to claw at Beherit's coiled tendril with his bare hands. "Damn you Dzemianovitch. It would've worked. Damn you! DAMN YOU ALL!"

Then Cavendish was pulled into the portal of light as well, and disappeared from sight and from life forever more. The last time you saw Cavendish, his lower body was already lost in the brilliant light, and he glared back at you, his shaded lenses askew, revealing two, cool, ice-blue eyes, now contorted in fear and hatred. He died with a curse on his lips.

Now both of Beherit's masters were slain, and two of the three ends of this bizarre triangle in the lands of death. Now Beherit's Shade could stand strong no longer. The spectral winds ripped apart its essence, drawing it into the pool of radiance that was Sascha's body. Soon Beherit was half the size he had been before, and growing smaller by the moment.

Then came a moment, that long-awaited moment, that he was gone altogether. The Eye of Anubis was fractured into a thousand emerald shards, and Beherit, the shadow at its heart, had disappeared forever. As the last wisp of darkness entered Sascha's glowing body, it flared brightly, too bright to look upon, and the winds stopped for just a moment.

Then it all exploded once more, the rush of air reversing itself, thrown backward with enough power to snap every door in the hall off its hinges, and nearly quiet the fire. Behind the Wall of Force, you were safe, but all around you, Beherit's death released yet another wave of destruction across the hapless opera house.

Then it was over. Sascha's body had ceased its glow, and the darkness of Beherit was gone.

It was all over.
================================================

Mostly over, at any rate. The flames, momentarily quelled by the blast, now sprung up into a raging inferno. Boiling blood and shattered glass lay strewn about the Opera floor, slowly melting in the unquenchable heat. The spirits Cavendish had summoned, now freed from their imprisonment in the wall, flew screaming through the chamber before vanishing to places unknown. The smoke was beginning to pool along the ceiling, turning the oppressive atmosphere into poison. From within the fading mists, you could hear soft moans and whimpers.

"Another five minutes, and this entire building will be joining Cavendish!" Carter called down from the balcony, flinching slightly at the heat of the flames. Blood was running down the side of his face. "Can everyone make it to the stairs? We have to get out before the smoke builds up!"

The professor jumped from the balcony edge, his magical flight guiding him safely downwards as he skimmed around the flame. Carter landed gently on the stage and plunged into the thick fog. He gave a grimace of relief as the chill mist wrapped around his skin, soothing the burns on his face. It was not to last, and the fire vaporized what little moisture was left, leaving Carter kneeling next to the unfortunate Drama. "Still alive!" he called back to you. "Let's keep them that way!"

================================================

"I think I've just become unemployed." James said quietly, rubbing his shoulder where yet another of Otto's bullets had pierced his flesh. The jackalwere watched the corridors carefully, moving his head from side to side like a hunting animal scenting too much prey all about it. "Which is a real shame, but I guess I don't need to kill any of you blokes now."

"So I think I'll just clear off then." James said, suddenly rushing towards Dieter. "See you, mate."

The Lamordian youth stood his ground, but no sooner than James had crossed a few steps, then he began to change. It was a smooth transformation, something like Otto's but with the benefit of decades of experience. Flesh, clothing, even the crossbow merged together, becoming a small, loping form like that of a dog. The sandy-furred jackal dodged right between Dieter's legs, making good speed away from all the danger and despair behind him. Soon, he was around a corner, and then out of sight. Out of sight, and out of mind.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Panting, Tomas forces himself to watch the entire, horrific death of Cavendish. He needs this...to be sure the madman is dead, and to bring a sense of closure to his promise. Even if it wasn't all that essential, hitting the man one last time before the end felt so very good...

"Yeah. There was a plan." Tomas manages, meeting Cavendish's increasingly desperate gaze with an icy glare of his own. "I told you. You wrote the end to our story that night in Barovia. Goodbye, John."

And there's some real regret in there; Tomas isn't sure if it is because of the way things are ending, because of the great mind that has been wasted on the hungry altar of power, or simply because he didn't get to do it with his bare hands. But there are other things to attend to. Nodding at Carter, Eisenwald squats down, struggling for a moment and hefting Sascha's body into his arms. Carefully, almost delicately, Tomas hurries towards the stairs-working to make sure that there is as much of the Vos left to bury as he can manage.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"Everyone, I concur, we make a hasty egress. We can mourn and praise Sascha in equally great measure once being roasted alive isn't an issue anymore." Andre said from his personal hiding spot, before concentrating a moment. It wasn't exactly a conventional way to deal with a fire, but a grand magical hailstorm falling in a localized area would CERTAINLY do something to make the fire less of an issue. Then, well, one makes for the exit when there is a fire in the theater.

OOC:Ice storm focused on AA12, then beating a hasty exit m'self. Should provide a pretty clear central corridor for everyone to make an exit via. Then moving to get out, should end in AJ13 if it even matters at this point.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Charles stares, paralyzed, at the bizarre and horrifying spectacle--the shadowed demon, trapped, the necromancer caught in his own coils, the knight who has surely, after all this, obtained his redemption dragging them both behind him, down the long corridor leading to death.

A death in a righteous cause, on the field of battle. Charles almost envies him.

But for those who remain, much remains to be done. "Let's get these people out of their bonds," Charles says, his voice rising easily above the snapping of the fire, "and make our exit. I suppose the city fathers will have had too much to think about to blame us much for burning down a national landmark in a good cause."

Charles will out with his dagger and start work on the hostage of Song, then go around counterclockwise as necessary. Since we've got so many flyers I think it shouldn't be too hard to airlift them out; a double move gets you pretty much all the way from the stage to the exit, so it should be pretty quick.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia heaves a sigh - and swoops down on the person dressed as the Muse of Dance. Tiger claws cut through the rope rather easily, and she lifts the hostage up. "Let's get out of here," she calls to the others as she starts to fly towards the exit. "This place reeks of death. Let us see what our actions have brought in the world outside."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan took out another scroll and quickly recited it as the others began escorting the hostages out. Another wave of healing rushed out from the priest, this time striking the doppelganger's former prisoners. That done, he dashed for the doorway. Even without Lia's flying magic, he was still almost as fast as the others. Lord Garuda hadn't forsaken him, even here in this hellhole.

Oblivion consume you, fiend, Kuzan bid Cavendish one final curse as he fled the opera hall and sought the streets of Port-a-Lucine.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Grand Opera Nationale, Port-a-Lucine, Dementlieu
September 18th, 761, 2:46 PM; Day 184 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Carrying the body of your fallen comrade, helping the tortured hostages free, you fled the Grand Opera Nationale. Or at least from the ruins thereof, for fire, blood, and wind had wrecked the place beyond repair. There would be no more showings at the center of Dementlieuse culture, not for the forseeable future, at any rate.

When you emerged outside, you were confronted by... sunshine. The grim, sinister Mists were gone as though they had never been, evaporated beneath the bright, autumn sun. Menetnashte's preternatural thunderstorm was likewise gone, and above Port-a-Lucine shone a cloudless sky. Only the plume of smoke from the Opera House broke the pristine beauty of that sky.

A few sightseers had arrived to gawk at the burning Opera House, lured from their homes by the sudden disappearance of the Mists. Soon, you expected, a small crowd would gather in this most public of places, and the government brigades who would put out the fire would follow them shortly.

But in the meantime, in the aftermath of the Mists and of the struggle at the Grand Opera Nationale, you had a moment of respite. It was in that moment that you quietly slipped away.

Leon Cemetery, Port-a-Lucine, Dementlieu
September 23rd, 761, 4:51 PM; Day 184 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It was cold.

The sky was pale grey, a solid expanse of cloud that blocked out the sun. There was no threat of rain, but it was cold, and the white of the sky above seemed to leech into the world below. Pale headstones and broken branches stood among splashes of washed out color, the bright green of the grass and the flowers faded, yet their appearance all the more vibrant for it. For all this, not a single scrap of mist could be seen here. The city was as clear as the eye could see, all the way across Parnault Bay. But it was cold.

Those assembled didn’t seem to mind. There was no other way it could be, not if there was any sense of justice in this world. For the sun to have shone on this procession would have made a mockery of their sorrow. For the rain to have fallen would have forgotten the meaning of the sacrifices made.

“It’s... quiet, isn’t it?” Remy asked, breaking the silence. The student looked strange, dressed all in black. The color made his tall, thin frame look even taller than it was. His coat was wrapped tightly around him, and despite the lack of rain, he held a black umbrella in his hands. Sadness tinged his green eyes, but the student stood with dignity, his expression unmarred by his grief.

“For the moment,” Carter replied, voice straining a bit with the exertion of digging. “I think Dementlieu is still trying to come to terms with what happened.” He stamped his shovel against the dirt a few times to level it off, nodding to Dieter as the Lamordian smoothed out the sides of the pit. It seemed neither man owned anything in black, and given the manual labor they were putting themselves to, it would have been impractical for them to dress up in any case. Carter had doffed his hat, however, and Dieter had made a passing attempt at combing his hair.

“Give it time,” Professor Devereux said, from where he sat on one of the grave markers. The professor’s bright, flashy coats were gone today. He instead wore a jacket and vest of faded sepia, his mousy hair and pale face making him look like one of Remy’s daguerreotypes, flat and unreal. “In a few days... you’ll have all the ceremonies, honors and... all the speeches made by people who never met him... you could ever ask for.”

“A real hero’s send off,” Remy sighed. “I wonder if they’ll even get his name right.”

“It’s on the bloody headstone, they can always cheat if they forget,” Carter said. “It’s alright, Remy. I don’t think he would have wanted any of that, anyway.”

“Then again,” the professor added, as he hauled himself out of the six-foot hole, “I’m not certain he would have wanted this, either.”

“Maybe not,” Remy agreed, distracted. Despite the relative emptiness of the graveyard, you were not the only people present this day. A little ways off there was a woman idly strolling around, in the manner of one who very obviously wanted to be in the same place you currently were, but was trying to pretend otherwise. Remy caught her looking over; she quickly averted her eyes.

“I heard you’re supposed to put him in a big longboat and kick it off the shore and set it on fire,” Dieter chimed in, wiping the sweat from his brow with his shirt sleeve. “That’d be pretty awesome.”

“It would have been cheaper, that’s for sure,” Carter said, almost smiling.

“Well, Parnault Bay’s right over there,” Remy said, with a completely straight face.

“Ahh, forget it,” Dieter said, waving his hand. “We already dug the hole, might as well get some use out of it.”

The group departed from the open grave, now moving to gather around a white coffin. It was a rather plain shape, carved of unpolished white marble, with a large, engraved cross on the lid. “Whomever got this thing didn’t have to lift it,” Carter grumbled, giving the handle a few experimental tugs. He didn’t speak any names. No one had said aloud who had paid for the headstone, or the grave, perhaps out of respect for that person’s wishes. In truth, there weren’t many people it could have been.

“Dearly beloved...” Devereux began, solemnly, “we are here to honor the life and sacrifice... of Sascha Dzemianovitch. A man we did not know for long... but long enough to know what kind of man he was.”

“It was a good death,” Sarari said, running her hands across the smooth coffin lid. She was not dressed any differently, but the elves had their own expressions of grief. “I think I would have liked it better if he had lived.”

“Perhaps it was the only way he could forgive himself,” Professor Marchand-Renier said quietly. It was the only thing he had spoken. The professor stood distant from the rest, even from Remy - perhaps especially from Remy. He was dressed as he always was, in fine clothes of sable, and yet something was different about him this day. His shoulders were bowed in defeat, his expression exhausted. The spark of pride that had carried him through the entire expedition had extinguished, leaving a tired, beaten man behind.

“For what?” Dieter asked. It was perhaps the most solemn and thoughtful you had ever seen the youth. “If he was damned, then I’ll be keeping him company.”

“We all would be,” Carter said.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Damnation waits for everyone, gentlemen," Lia says as she walks up to the grave. "Salvation only for those who seek it. But it does wait for them to come looking."

The mage is dressed in funereal black, but that is not very different from how she has been dressing since the Kermansha. What is different, is the combination of a new mask of black felt and a widow's black veil, which hangs down onto her chest.

"Goodbye, sir knight," Lia says respectfully, and presents a bouquet of white lillies and red roses. A muttered word, a gesture, and the flowers float down onto the casket. "Rest in peace, since that is what your death has bought: A time of peace. No matter how briefly it may shine, you lit a candle, and you did so with your very life. You did well."

Lia takes a step back, spreads her arms wide and mutters different words: "Quod cogito, quoniam cogito, esto." With a brief shudder, the coffin rises a few feet into the air, then floats over to the grave and sinks into it as gently as a feather.
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Otto…

Otto was clad in a different tuxedo (having to have forfieied the deposit on the previous one, for obvious reasons), and a different state of mind. None of the focus borne of combat, now—the haphazard, borderline-MPD rush of having an implanted nature spirit taking over your fine motor skills at random intervals.

No, now, Otto’s mind was just…wandering. In parallel, as it so often did; on multiple circuits.

He thought about the events of five days ago (or thought about how could not process it, not all of it, and not now)

He thought about his business; about his education. He still *had* those, somehow. The University’s 761-762 academic calendar had begun several weeks ago—at some point, he thought, he would have to go to class.

He thought about James Blake, still at large—because it is a dishonorable thing to shoot a fleeing man (jackal?) in the back. He thought of Cavendish, not still at large—and why that was.

Most of all, he thought about how the Expedition had changed them all; and, it having done so, of the impossibility of simply returning to one’s starting point, and forgetting, and of picking up where you left off. You can try, but you can never *really* go back.

And so, accordingly, he thought of Sascha—because Sascha had changed the most.

The gunsmith didn’t speak, or moralize. But he lofted a single red tulip—perfectly preserved after all these months—into the grave, and bowed his head.