Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Kartakass: Interlude in Martira Bay

Post by steveflam »

April 3rd, 761
Martira Bay, Darkon

The members who have homes or families in the city can return there. The rest of you stay at a proper Inn. The evening passes and in the morning you reconvene at the Inn. Once breakfast is done and over with, it is time to go see Father Dentor at the Temple.

You arrive and enter the Temple and a novice greets you. He actually recognizes you and ushers you to Father Dentor's office in the basement.
"He has but just arrived as well this very moment. He'll be happy to see you all." He gives Vassili an odd look but says nothing.

The young man leads you to the old man's office and leaves you there, closing the door behind him. The father looks up at you and smiles. "So you return to me! And with a new member, I see? More on him later. SO what of the mission? How does it fare? Is it terminated?"
Last edited by steveflam on Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius advances forward and presents the situation to the Cleric.

"The blessings of Ezra be on thee, Father. The mission: it is as complete as it can be, I'm afraid. We have retrieved the items. I'm wearing one of them even now. Alas, the two men we were sent to help were beyond our reach: one of them was killed before we ever met him; the other was turned to lycanthrope and we came to know he was part of a party that attacked us and we defeated early on."

He stopped, giving time for Dentor to absorb the information.

"There is more. I have been infected and as payment for help from the Vistani, I took the custody of this boy here, named Vassily. He is supposed to be a natural born lycanthrope and I promised his the raunie of his to bring him here for a cure. We both need it desperately. I have, since then, been wearing this amulet to contain my own transformations. Father, I need your help."

As he said this, he knelt before Father Dentor, assuming the posture of one who begs for absolution.

[OOC: I'm not actually sure this is what happened. This is what I understood from Madame Eva's words. Feel free to correct me]
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

April 3rd, 761
Martira Bay, Darkon

Father Dentor listens with interest to what Lucius relates to him. His face shows neither shock nor sadness at the news. He taps Lucius on the shoulder. "There's no need for that, Lucius. Rise before me, please."

He waits then speaks in a clear voice. "I am saddened by the news that my two men are deceased. Thus it was in their fate, I suppose, and thus it transpired. Now as for the items. As for the Amulet, Lucius, I am sorry you've become infected. Thus you are given it until such a time as we might find a cure for you.

Now Lucius is infected but Vassili is natural. I know of an incantation that might help him, if a cure can't be found. I have little experience in the matter, thohghwe do have one priest who specializes in these matters. A Father Dubois from Souragne of all places. He lives here now and I will advise him immediately of the situation."

He sits back down and rubs his temples, smiling. "Now as to your other quest, I suggest you take some time off from your long travels. See family and rest for a few weeks. The Order will contact you then. I'll inform them you've returned and are terminated with our business."

"Well Father it is here I part ways with these fine men and women. I have decided to saty here in Martira and research the lands here. I am also taking Vassili under my responsibility. YOu better behave young man, else I tell Lucius and your Raunie you misbehaved! Now if you permit, I shall take leave and find some lodgings.

It's been an honor working with you all."

The dark elf smiles to everyone and exits the room.
Last edited by steveflam on Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

William watches Jacob make his exit. He can't help but feel the weight of his parting the group as the doors close.
"Their goes one of our finest." He then turns to the others. "Suppose I'll be needin' to find myself lodgings. Any suggestions?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

April 3rd, 761
Martira Bay, Darkon

For the better part of the morning, the man first visits the library at the University. He spends a few hours there reading books on Architecture and Engineering. Satisfied he'll remember what he needs, he heads for his next stop.

The he visits this clothing shop and that, purchasing several different items of clothing. These he puts away in a bag except for the one he wears out of the shop. Once done, he heads for the city hall and after getting directions to the particular office he wanted, he finds himself at the office in question. He opens the door and enters, closing it behind him. Behind a desk sits a young woman who was in the midst of reading something. She looks up from her lecture and eyes the man. He is in his mid thirties, dressed in an average suit and has spectacles on his face. Short black hair and blue eyes as well.

"Yes, how might I help you?"

"Good day to you, young lady. I am in the market to puchase a home. Might you be the one who can aid me in this matter?"

"Um, yes, yes I am. We don't get all that many offers to purchase a home, sir. Have you any preferences for size, area and of course price?" As she speaks she walks over to a cabinet and removes a well worn leather book. She lays it on her desk and waits for the man's answer.

"I prefer something near the University, if at all possible. I plan to be teaching there. As for the size, well I would prefer a large home, if at all possible. As for the price, it is of no consequence."

The woman nods and begins flipping through her leather clad book. She skims it once, jotting down some notes. When she is done she returns the book to it's original location and removes an even larger one! She has to carry this one in both hands. Plopping it down on her desk she revises her notes and opens it to one page and turning it, shows it to the man.

"I've taken the liberty of chosing four possible locations. One of which might be best suited for you as the previous owner passed away recently and he was a professor at the University in his youth. He died of old age, actually. Having no family, the city was about to requisition his library for the University. For an extra fee, you can keep the library as well as the furniture and anything else in the home. He left no will, the poor fellow."

The man admires the home's plans with a practiced eye. Satisfied, he closes the book and tells the woman "I'll take it. I am hoping we can get this done within the next hour or so?"

The woman nods and puts away the heavy tome. She then removes what looks like an official looking form and lays it on her desk. She tells the man how much the home will cost and without batting an eye removes several gems from a bag, and lays them on the desk. "This should cover it plus the extra fee you mentioned."

"I think it will too, sir. Now this is your property deed, Mr, well uh Mr?"

"That would be Smith. Jacob Smith. I'll sign this and be off then. Soon as you get me my key and a copy of the deed, ma'am."

The woman removes a book from her desk and opens it to a page. She has the man spell out his name then turning the book to him, has him sign his name as well. She initials next to his name and puts awaythe book. She stands and move to a door, opening it. She closes it behind her and emerges a few seconds later with a set of keys.

"These are your keys. This one if for the front door, and this one for the back. This one here is for the library and the other for the liquor cabinet. This here is a skeleton key for the bedrooms. I presume you don't know the address, so I'll give you directions."

Thus she does and soon the man is on his way to his new home. He is rather satisfied with his purchase once arrived and settled in. Especially the library! Talking aloud "Yes Rizzin, this will do perfectly! This library is absolutely amazing. I'll be able to do quite the bit of research here. And I will make an appointment in the next few days with the dean of the University for the possibility of a position there in the fields of either Architecture or Engineering.

Eyeing the many bookcases he scans them until he finds a book and pulls it out. "Lycanthropy, cures and remedies" by Rudolph Van Richten.

Starting a fire in the fireplace, he reclines on the settee and begins reading in earnest, unaware of who Van Richten is excpet for what his former traveling companions and friends told him.
Last edited by steveflam on Mon May 18, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van nods to William, his face is sad.

"Indeed." It's the only thing he manages to say.

But when the sailor tells them that he has to find a place to stay he smiles.

"You can stay with me if you want William, I'm from Martira Bay and I have a house here. It's not very big but you are very welcomed."

The evoker looks at the others.

"Same for all of you guys, if you want you can come to stay with me."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

As Jacob leaves, Lucius goes to the door at once and tries to find the elf. But he's gone already, there's no trace of him. He returns, visibly sad.

"He went so quickly, and so suddenly. I'd have liked to at least tell him goodbye in proper terms. But well, he's gone. Let's at least make a toast for him... and for us, after all. We've all returned safe and... well, almost sound. What do you say?"

(Later, to Van)

"Thank you, Van. You are truly a good friend. I don't have a home of mine in Martira Bay, but I was born and raised here. My parents still live here. I would like to see them, as I've been away for far too long. I feel more of a Dementlieuse now, I should get reacquainted to this land."

He gives a brief smile, and then turns to Deari, more softly.

"You would be very welcome there, Deari, and if you were willing, I'd like to present you to family."
He then added for her ears only "We have some time for ourselves now. Now we can stop running and dedicate to each other, think about out future, dream our plans. There's still so much about you I want to know..."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Deari watches as Jacob leaves, and with a rather happy smile and wave, she nod's as their eyes meet just as he rounds the door frame. Lucius goes after having perhaps missed the events, and she is just as stunned but not as suprised to hear of their elven friends mysterious magical departure... Of course his suggestion of a toast is a great idea in her view...

"I would say that is a wonderful idea... We should buy a very good bottle of wine for such an occasion!"

(Later as well)

Deari would have also refused Van politely as well, until Lucius spoke of his family giving her pause as she heard him.

This is his homeland... But that means that he might!

And he did, as he turned to offer exactly what she was shocked and pleased to hear... She was already blushing from the thought of the offer and she rapidly but happily began to respond in a more excited tone. slipping into Falkovnian as her words spring to her lips...

"Yes I would love to meet them!"

She does not stop speaking but hugs him in the middle of her ramblings while not stoping, and even switches to Darkonise with no pause...

"But it is so sudden. I need to buy something more appropriate to wear. I would like to look my best for them! And of course for you!"

Then he is smiling brightly and as they hug he pulls her closer and speaks of time and planning for the future with the thought of speaking to each other on many things...

These words are just further joy and comfort, and she is so happy to hear all of this that she can do little more than hug him back and smile happily. Of course she also needs to ask him something as well, so she whispers into his ear as they still hold each other close...

"Then I think we both need to ask Father Dentor if we can ask Father Dubois a rather important question!"

She kisses his cheek and resting her head against his shoulder and chest she continues the embrace for a little longer...
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

April 4th, 761 8:00 A.M
Martira Bay, Darkon
Thunderstorm Residence

"Van, listen to me. It's Jacob. I am rather occupied at the moment in researching Lycanthropy. I've purchased a home near the University as I do plan to do some teaching, whether it be Architecture or Engineering.

The reason for my intrusion is simple. I've detected my daughter here. I knew she'd disappeared from my scrying back home, but now I've been alerted magically by a previous cast spell that she is here, now , in the city. I can't contact her as she seems to be protected from mental spells but not location ones. I can't be sure but I think she is near the waterfront right now.

If memory serves me, she is of a Roguish type and can be rather careless at times. The best time to see her would be at night and she doesn't hide her heritage like I do. Her name is Delsenora and is a young one, only 130. Look for rumors of an individual who robs from the wealthy and gives to the less fortunate."

Once Van replies, the connection dies.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Van, I don't know Martira Bay anymore. Things might have changed while I was gone. Do you know some place where we can buy some good wine, as Deari suggested? Perhaps we should make a farewell dinner for Jacob and invite him too, for tomorrow?
I wish to take this day off to see Martira Bay again and show Deari around. And buy some proper clothes too", he adds looking meaningfully at her. "There's just one more thing that I have to take care of."

Being in Martira Bay feels like being in heaven now for Lucius. The journey north was not without anxiety and expectation, but he and Deari had proved stalwart all the way through. And their love could be clearly seen by all. Even by Dentor, who was, judging by his expression at their hugs and kisses, no doubt surprised by that turn of events.

And it was precisely towards the priest that the pair glided, his hand around her waist, as he so often liked to embrace her, asking to have a word with him in some more privacy. Dentor ushered them to the side, where the three could speak without being heard... although in fact probably everyone could guess what was going to be discussed.

"Father, this amulet will serve me well to contain the wolf inside me, and I thank you for your offer. But as you can see" and he eyed Deari meaningfully, "although we departed from here as two strangers, I and Deari return here as one loving couple. Avoiding a shapechange has stopped being the concern in my mind. This affliction is insidious, and we know it can be transmitted by the bite of a beast. But we fear it might spread in some other ways too.
While I do not find a cure, we need at least to know everything that this condition implies on me, everything about the ways it can be propagated to others. We need to speak to Father Dubois, as soon as possible. Of course, if he'll know how to cure me that is all for the better" he concluded.

While he wainted for Dentor's answer, he couldn't stop smiling at Deari. There was hope in their hearts, hope for what the future might bring. And he could feel her happiness far beyond what her words could express.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Sure thing Lucius! If you want good quality clothes you can go to "2 scissors". It's one of the finest stores, even if it's quite a new one. For good wine I highly recommend the cellar by the old library. I don't remember the name right now, but for sure you cannot miss it. I think you know where is the old Martira's Bay library, this cellar is the next one at the same side if the road. Actually if you can take 2 bottles of wine, your idea about a party for Jacob is awesome and I'm sure the others want to join as well. Tell me how much you paid for them and I'll give you half money. A party it's the least we can do for our friend Jacob."

Van is at his home having breakfast when Jacob contacts him. The evoker gets his head with both hands and tries to understand what was happening. Nobody has contacted him like that before. He needs a few seconds to realize that was Jacob speaking to him with a spell. Then he concentrates and answers:

"Jacob! Sure thing. I'll tell the others and we will try to find her. You can contact me again in a couple of days. I hope I'll have good news for you."

Van finishes his breakfast and goes to find his companions and tell them Jacob's message.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

April 3rd, 761
Martira Bay

Dentor smiles at Lucius. "Father Dubois will be available for an appointment in two days. He is otherwise detained for the moment, Lucius. Be here at 9 a.m Friday morning the 5th of April and you will be able to see him. If that is all I have other matters to attend to. In a few weeks someone will be contacting you from the Order of Guardians. A task well done, ladies and gentlemen. It won't soon be forgotten, I assure you."

He rises from his desk and opens the door, exiting.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

VAN wrote:Van nods to William, his face is sad.

"Indeed." It's the only thing he manages to say.

But when the sailor tells them that he has to find a place to stay he smiles.

"You can stay with me if you want William, I'm from Martira Bay and I have a house here. It's not very big but you are very welcomed."
William smiles and pats Van on the shoulder. "Thanks, lad. I would appreciate that very much. Don't worry about me being a burden for too long. Unless something comes up, I expect to head back down south to take care of some personal business."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

<To>

"Well let us know before you leave William... Perhaps we will throw a party for your return. You are coming back right?"

Deari smiles at him, and knows she would miss many of his tales and even just his watchful eye should he leave for good. His wise eyes have watched them all, and she was sure he perhaps knew plenty just from his observations of them. She had liked all she had seen from him, and felt him to be a kind but in a way lonely man. He should not remain alone, and hopes he would say this personal trip would be short.

<To>

"Thank you Father!"

Deari says this with nervous thanks, somewhat to addressing the priest and his station, but mostly with a clouded mind, as other more pressing matters come to mind.

"Now we need to get that wine and some other things for the party Lucius... Of course I don't know what else we need for it, but I think I could give some into it."

Hobert who has been sitting by the door wanders over, seemingly confused by what is going on. Many of the scents in this room confuse his nose and the scent of the tall darker one and the younger new one seems to already be lessening in the room. Still he is little worried and lays in the corner wondering when this motley pack of his would eat...
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

A G Thing wrote:<To>

"Well let us know before you leave William... Perhaps we will throw a party for your return. You are coming back right?"

Deari smiles at him, and knows she would miss many of his tales and even just his watchful eye should he leave for good. His wise eyes have watched them all, and she was sure he perhaps knew plenty just from his observations of them. She had liked all she had seen from him, and felt him to be a kind but in a way lonely man. He should not remain alone, and hopes he would say this personal trip would be short.
William smiles at the sentiment. "Well, Unfortunately Deari, the business I have to take care of is more along the lines of the life altering kind. Once I leave I don't expect to return. Of course, since the business isn't pressing, I don't expect to leave in a hurry."