The Unsettled House

Online roleplaying at the Café
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

OOC: Brida rolled a 15 on the Knowledge:Nature check, for what that's worth.

"Ho, HEY!" Exclaims Brida, rushing precipitately towards the eldery woman. In her haste, she upsets a small table, causing an ornate vase to fall down with a crash. "Don't you woman dare snuff out on us! Where's the damn brandy?"
Baron Zamedi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Zamedi »

Paul was struck silent by the berating that Jeremy Dulapont propinated to the group, as a member of the clergy back in Paridon Paul is used to be treated with pretty much outmost respect, and thus is unprepared for the man's harsh words, as a result he just kept his mouth shut and his eyes wide open all the way to the Dulapont's dinning room.

But once Paul enters the luxurious room and sees Madame Dulapont apparently having a stroke he rushes forward like an arrow to try and help the elder woman - "For Humanity’s sake Madame pleas don't die"- Says the monk as he starts administering what little care he can provide, he's not a medic and he has never studied medicine but one doesn't spend years training in the temple of the divine form without learning a thing or two about anatomy or about helping a winded or stunned person

23 untrained heal check to help Miss Dulapont. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2122650/

17 on a spot check to see if i find anything 'unusual' in the house. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2122672/

11 on a search check for the same purpose of the above check. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2122674/

And finaly a superb 9! On a sense motive check to detect anything unusual regarding Jeremy. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2122676/
"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

OOC Knowledge Nature 20

François silently bristles at his older cousin's rough handling and derisive manners but carefully hides his anger. He notes the desolate state that the house is in, his gaze lingering for a moment on the scratch marks on the door.

When Aunt Marite faints he looks at his cousin carefully noting his reaction.
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

Ranjan blithely ignores the scratches as he rushes to the old lady. "Oh dear! Has she fainted? I have some pepper and ginger right here for her..."

He appears unsure of what to do.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Igor the Henchman wrote:"Ho, HEY!" Exclaims Brida, rushing precipitately towards the eldery woman. In her haste, she upsets a small table, causing an ornate vase to fall down with a crash. "Don't you woman dare snuff out on us! Where's the damn brandy?"
"You'll not touch my house's fine spirits, beast!" Jeremy immediately roars, charging after Brida. "Nor my mother! Back! Back with you!"

While Ranjan dithers about Mrs. Dulapont, Paul's ministrations are having a most agreeable result; the monk soon draws the diagnosis that the elderly lady has simply fainted. Even without the medicines offered by Ranjan, a few light taps on the wrist are enough to bring her back to consciousness.

"Oh..." she gasps. "Oh, my ..." The matron's faded eyes look at Paul with some bewilderment -- bewilderment that only increases at the sight of the turbaned Ranjan, and her oldest son facing off against a hulking Caliban. They grow wide with shock when they once again see François -- then squeeze tight in an instant of purely emotional pain.

The next moment, the old lady sits up straight, all signs of weakness gone as she kindly pats Paul's hand. "Thank you, young man," she says, her voice betraying fine breeding and no sign of uncertainty whatsoever. "That was most kind of you. If you do not mind ..."

Mrs. Dulapont rises from her chair with all the grace and elegance of an autumn leaf, spiralling through the air on the fall winds. It is a sight of delicacy and refinement, with the clear message that the flower of youth and the vitality of young life have gone. Unlike an autumn leaf, however, Mrs. Dulapont moves with the certainty and strength of a working mind.

"My dear François," Mrs. Dulapont says as she makes her way over to the aforementioned gentleman. "It has been a long time, has it not? Do say you will forgive my momentary faintness, age comes with its flaws." Reaching François, Mrs. Dulapont takes both his hands in her own and gently kisses him on both cheeks. "You find us sadly unprepared for a family visit," the matron continues, "but I am sure that can be remedied in record time. Now, won't you introduce me to your ..." -- for a moment, the old lady shows some hesitation as she searches for the proper word -- "... your friends?"

Without turning his angry eyes from Brida, Jeremy snarls: "These aren't any friends to a Dulapont, mother, not even one from one of the branches that left Richemulot. They're the mercenaries who've come sniffing after the reward for solving the haunting." The sarcasm Jeremy puts into that last word is palpable, and clearly displeases his mother.

With her lips thinning ever so slightly, Mrs. Dulapont addresses her son: "Jeremy, since we have guests, I should like you to bring Traven, so we may properly greet them as a family."

When Jeremy angrily opens his mouth to object, the old lady gives him a stern look. Nothing more than that, and an angry, flushed Jeremy starts to turn his back on Brida and stomp towards the door.

(OOC: Sense Motive checks for who wants to make them.)
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OOC: wow oh wow, a natural 20 for a total of 21 on the SM. Brida, you're good.

Assuming nothing stops Jeremy in his tracks:

"I like him, comments Brida as she watches Jeremy leave. An alright son you have there, madam, 'sfar as they go in here rat-cities, anyway".

Remembering herself, she stands to attention. "Gefreite Brida Schreivogel atcha service, ma'am. Fresh from the Kingfuhrer's army. I've gutted enemies of the hawk-realm, I can gut your ghosts. Or die tryin'"
Baron Zamedi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Zamedi »

Ranjan blithely ignores the scratches as he rushes to the old lady. "Oh dear! Has she fainted? I have some pepper and ginger right here for her..."

He appears unsure of what to do.
"Don't worry my friend, the lady seems to be awakening now." - Says Paul to the great swami upon realizing his nervousness. 'Phew! I don't want to imagine what would have happened if we had caused the woman's death...' Muses the monk to himself.

The next moment, the old lady sits up straight, all signs of weakness gone as she kindly pats Paul's hand. "Thank you, young man," she says, her voice betraying fine breeding and no sign of uncertainty whatsoever. "That was most kind of you. If you do not mind ..."
"Don't think about it ma'am I'm here to help and it's what any good person would have done"- Paul says with a bow, if anyone knows about the Divinity of Mankind they would notice that little remarks like those are the first tentatives it's celebrants use to start teaching the precepts of their philosophy.

"I' am Paul Bentley, celebrant of the divine form, from Paridon in Zherisia, it's a pleasure to meet you and I thank you for resiving us in your house ma'am."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

OOC Sense Motive 26, yay!

François smiles as he greets the his aunt, politely ignoring her fainting. He watches her thoughtfully in the exchange afterwards and - silently amused - waits for the great Swami to introduce himself.
Baron Zamedi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Zamedi »

OOC: I forgot my sense motive roll, a 21 should do the trick right? http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2125921/
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

1d20-1=6
OOC: I'll be your blithly oblivious member today...

Ranjan rights himself, checks his turban, gives his mustache a once-over, and enters a stance. Allowing his hand to tumble forward in an attention-getting gesture, he bows deeply. "Good evening, my great lady, I am the Great Swami Ranjan, purveyor of the Sevenfold Mysteries, keeper of the Secret Talisman of Kum-Kala-Kai, and medium of great renown. I have studied at the feet of the Python Raja of Sri Raji, unlocked the entombed secrets of pharaohs across the barren sands of Har'Akir, and have arrived in Mortigny to provide the answers to the esoteric to all in need. Whatever spirits there may be in this illustrious abode, I shall be able to pull them out, and ensorcel them to your needs."
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Brida stares blankly at Ranjan. She appears dumbfound.

"You are... what?"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Igor the Henchman wrote:"I like him, comments Brida as she watches Jeremy leave. An alright son you have there, madam, 'sfar as they go in here rat-cities, anyway". Remembering herself, she stands to attention. "Gefreite Brida Schreivogel atcha service, ma'am. Fresh from the Kingfuhrer's army. I've gutted enemies of the hawk-realm, I can gut your ghosts. Or die tryin'"
"Thank you for the compliment," lady Dulapont says with remarkable aplomb -- especially remarkable for a noblemwoman being addressed by, when all is said and done, a well-armed Caliban. "I shall be relying on your strong arm, then, young lady."

Perhaps even more remarkable is the fact that there is not a hint of irony in this last appellation ...?
Baron Zamedi wrote:"I' am Paul Bentley, celebrant of the divine form, from Paridon in Zherisia, it's a pleasure to meet you and I thank you for resiving us in your house ma'am."
"You are most welcome ... reverend?" lady Dulapont replies with a cordial gesture in Paul's direction. "I am afraid I am not familiar with your denomination, seeing as I have never had occasion to visit Paridon. Perhaps you might tell me more of it, if there is time after the ... execution of the duty I must set before you all."
InVinoVeritas wrote:Good evening, my great lady, I am the Great Swami Ranjan, purveyor of the Sevenfold Mysteries, keeper of the Secret Talisman of Kum-Kala-Kai, and medium of great renown. I have studied at the feet of the Python Raja of Sri Raji, unlocked the entombed secrets of pharaohs across the barren sands of Har'Akir, and have arrived in Mortigny to provide the answers to the esoteric to all in need. Whatever spirits there may be in this illustrious abode, I shall be able to pull them out, and ensorcel them to your needs."
"You present worthy credentials, young man," lady Dulapont says, smiling faintly. "Very worthy. Really, if we have time after the specter has been driven from my home, I must ask both you and master Bentley to entertain me with tales from the world beyond. There is always so much to learn ..."

There is a brief interlude in the lady's kind, genteel words when the 'room's doors open to admit Bentley, the new hand. The crooked man is carrying an almost ludicrously large tea tray, bearing a steaming pot and enough cups to serve everyone currently in the room, plus two more.

Trembling like a leaf in a gale, the bent man manages to set his burden down on the table before he drops it. His nose has gone an unpleasant shade of purple and seems to be broken -- though it is hard to tell, since it had surely already been broken before.

"The nice tea from Dementlieu, madame," the crooked man says to lady Dulapont, bowing extravagantly as he scuttles backwards to the open door. "If anything more is needed, you know you need only ring the bell ..."
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Seeing the tea come in, Brida lets herself fall heavily on a nearby chair, which creaks under her weight. As soon as she gets ahold of a cup of tea, she downs the drink with a gut-wrenching slurping noise.

"Ahhhh. So. What's with them ghosts?"
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

"Indeed! Tell us more about the haunts in this place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Ah," Mrs. Dulapont sighs. "Yes. The ghosts."

The old lady pats François on the shoulder, then slowly makes her way back to her own chair, rubbing her hands in a thoughtful sort of way.

"It is most vexing," she says as she sinks back into her chair. "Every night, at a specific time, this house ... creaks. We hear the sound of footsteps on the higher floors, but no one is ever there. When we go to look, the furnishings have been moved. Later at night, there are more footsteps, and sometimes the sound of ... muttering. Again, we have not been able to catch anyone. Dogs were brought in. They died soon after."

Mrs. Dulapont steeples her fingers and watches you all over them. "This matter has come at a most unfortunate time. As you may know, the social season is soon to begin in this city. We may be called upon to entertain, and this ... matter ... can not be allowed to cause harm to our guests. To the one who manages to discover the source of these events, I offer one thousand in gold. Cash upon definitive proof that the matter has been resolved. That is all."