Realms of Dread IC, Chapter One

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"Fair enough. I always say judge a person by their actions, not their words. If that's all, we'd like to get our group together and accept our first mission, sir."
''Very well then, set to it. Report back to me tomorrow with your squad. Ah, and don't forget to get your badges.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the Old Shell, an inn and ordinary [eatery]

Widow Callum runs a clean and tidy establishment with the help of her three children [two freckle faced teenage girls and their hulking older brother]. This evening finds the old woman resting her feet beside the great stone hearth in the common room. Her daughters are busy serving the guests, and her son sits near the door, a stout staff in hand in case of trouble. Behind him is the locked closet containing weapons brought in by guests- who certainly aren't allowed to enter armed.

Jonathon Moorkroft is seated at a table near the fire. Jonathon eats slowly and tends to stare off into space now and then, distracted by something no one else can see, or perhaps just lost in thought.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Making his way through the wreckage, a young man can be seen. Dressed in the most drab of colors and huddled underneath a tattered blue cloak, he makes his way through the city.
His years betray the life he has led, for this young man has been to hell and back. If one knew to look at his chapped hands, they may garner as to what extent his mind has gone in his ongoing chronicles to pen the greatest novel ever written.
Separated from his companions for a short while, he took the opportunity to delve into the mysteries of the land that surrounds them, for you see, this young man simply is not from around here. He, along with a few of his companions came from an entirely different world. What this young man has discovered since his arrival here, is that maybe his companions and himself were not the only things brought into this new world. Some things are eerily familiar. And drastically different.
Alain Guischard shuffles through what remains of a recent attack on the city of Marsember on his way to find one of his old companions. Through the usual channels of coin changing hands and subtle charm, the author was able to narrow down the location of one of them to a local inn. The Old SHell. That's where he was heading now.
It was beginning to grow late, dusk was beginning to slouch over the blackened structures of the ruined town. Alain picked up the pace. He would hate to find himself wandering the streets alone in the face of such disparate people. Especially since he was forced to leave his longsword behind due to some ridiculous law. A gentleman without a blade was simply unheard of.
Up ahead he could see the inn in the darkening city. He could not wait to hear what the others may have come across.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BigBadQDaddy wrote: Up ahead he could see the inn in the darkening city. He could not wait to hear what the others may have come across.

With no sword to check at the door, Alain is quickly admitted to the inn. The place is half-filled with guests of various descriptions. Alain notices someone who looks familiar- it's Jamethon Moorkroft, his old companion and a native of the homeworld! Jamethon is seated alone at a table near the hearthfire. The man doesn't look well.

Moorkroft greets Alain, and seems surprised to see him.

''Have a seat old friend. Tell me, where have you been? I've missed you.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Alain sits in silence, looking across the table at his old friend. Moorcroft's tired expression brings worry to him. Before him a glass of red wine sits untouched.
After some time, Alain breaks the silence, first by awkwardly clearing his throat. "Jonathan, I have begun work on a new project." He looks around, seeing the faces of the inn's careful staff and nothing more in the way of prying ears. "It has much to do with the strange similarities between this world in which we find ourselves and the world of my home. I have been about, cataloging what little I have been able to based on what I experienced in my travels back home." He smiles awkwardly and continues. "Look, see here..." he reaches into his bag, shuffling around before producing a book, mostly brand new with many empty pages in it. He sets it on the table and begins flipping through the pages before stopping at one near the beginning of the book. Alain's hasty scrawl is apparent on the paper, with his finger her begins tracing under lines of writing until finally stopping at a a section of text. "Ah, here it is. This has to do with that man we met shortly after we first arrived. The Beast Master, Harkon Lucas. You see, I spent time in the land of Kartakass, in the southern lands of my home world when I was learning my craft. The maire or, um, Burgomeister you might say...um, what where they called?" he drums his fingers randomly and without rhythm on the table top before an obvious expression of epiphany dawns on his face. "Oh yes, Meistersinger! he was a Meistersinger, a singing Burgomeister, this Harkon Lucas man. Oh and here." He turns a few pages back. "This Gondegal character, this lost king, the blind bard we came across when we first arrived. I know that name, but from what I cannot figure. Maybe I heard a song of sorts. But anyway, these similarities keep making themselves, uh, apparent and their must be an explanation of some sort?"
He looks expectantly at his old friend, now wielding a feather pen in his hand, that seemingly came out of no where, or at least was taken out of his pack quite deftly without drawing much attention.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BigBadQDaddy wrote: He looks expectantly at his old friend, now wielding a feather pen in his hand, that seemingly came out of no where, or at least was taken out of his pack quite deftly without drawing much attention.

''Maybe we're crazy, Alain? Maybe none of it was ever real? I don't know what's real and what isn't, not anymore. Alain, SHE is dead. I lost her. ''

Jamethon seems distracted by something Alain cannot see, or else lost in thought. He stares blankly into the air for a moment, then comes back to the conversation.

''Gondegal? You want to speak with him? I keep him with me, someone has got to look after the old fellow.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Alain simply stares back at Jonathan as he finishes his statement. After a moment, he shakes his head slightly, as if thrown off completely by the Gondegal comment. Apparently his friend has gone mad.
He takes a breath and returns to his questioning. "Who is dead, Moorcroft?" A look of panic flares up on his face. "You don't mean Shana...or Inovidl?" He looks across the table, looking very concerned about the possible fate of one of there companions.
Last edited by BigBadQDaddy on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:Alain simply stares back at Jonathan as he finishes his statement. After a moment, he shakes his head slightly, as if thrown off completely by the Gondegal comment. Apparently his friend has gone mad.
He takes a breath and returns to his questioning. "Who is dead, Moorcroft?" A look of panic flares up on his face. "You don't mean Kintire...or Inovidl?" He looks across the table, looking very concerned about the possible fate of one of there companions.

''No, not Shana or Ino. Ezra...Tatyana...she's dead, lost to me forever it seems. My goddess...my love.... Sergei was too weak to protect her, fool that he was. Ah, the Alchemist, curse him! He looked as if he could be my brother, but what sort of brother would take from a sibling his heart's desire? I ask you, what sort of brother would do that! ''

Jamethon reels a little in his seat , and steadies himself by leaning on the table.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"How can that be possible?" Alain looks his friend up and down. "I know that the woman looked like Ezra. Just as I am sure that the Beast Master looks like the Meistersinger from Kartakas...Look Jonathan, this is precisely why I am trying to piece all of these similarities together, I believe my home to still exist. I aim to find my way back there. These coincidences we keep stumbling upon may be the key to finding the way back."
Alain gives a heavy exhale and slouches forward, his eyes on the table before him. He runs his fingers through his hair, and lets a few slow moments pass by.
"Look, I don't believe a goddess can die. Whatever this place is, the truth is reaching out to us. And something may be playing a ruse on us for the deed we did when we freed Ezra. Look, I have a love too." He pauses, looking very sad and longing, he continues. "She waits for me in Dementlieu.
I write my stories in the pen name Edgar D'Lioncourt. D'lioncourt is her families surname. Her name is Marrielle." A sad smile stretches across his lips. "One day she will see one of my books and know I am still out there, and maybe we will be able to meet, out of the gaze of her father.
You will see, Jonathan. When we return to the land in the mists, you will see that she is still there. She has to be..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jonathon looks up at the novelist, and new-kindled hope blazes in his eyes.

''Cannot die? I've hoped and prayed....but perhaps you are right? The people of this world tell stories of gods seeming to die only to rise again. They speak of gods who walked among mortals, clothed in flesh, and afterward returned to the heavens. Ezra, she might still be alive, but beyond this world. She might be waiting for us, along with your Marrielle -with everything we've ever known and loved- across the gulf between worlds.''

Jamethon sits bolt-upright in his seat and grips the table hard.

''If there is a way home, we'll find it together, Alain. I swear it.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana wanders through the streets a little further, until she sees that dusk is gathering. Picking the nearest inn at random, she wanders into the Old Shell. Not her usual eatery, but has the advantage of being close. Glancing around the room she spots Moorkroft with a start of surprise, and briefly looks a little... unenthusiastic. Then she takes a closer look at his companion, and smiles.

"Alain! long time, no see! How on faerun are you? ...oh and hello Jame. Nice to see you made it..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil looks at Captain Rask adn says:

"I think you already know me sir. Me and my companions helped you with the attack and the fire. I'd like to continue help you, so I'll accept your offer and I'm sure my friends will do as well. We are a strong group and we will be glad to help. I'm going to ask them right now, guess they will be back at the inn. Rardi, Talbot you are very welcome to join, we are at the same group now."

She starts to leaving, but hesitates for a second and says:

"You know that I'm a mage right?"

Inovidil shows him her mark.

"Also, I have a crossbow and a dagger, they are both concealed. Ahh, I have this staff too. I don't use my weapons, I have my spells to protect myself, but since you never now I carry them with me. I just wanted to let you know and I want to get a license to have them with me."

Inovidil shows to Captain her weapons.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

When Shana enters the Inn, she might notice a tall man observes her,
from the corner of the bar.

When she has greeted the others and sat down,
the man that earlier had to eagerly checked her up
walks over from the bar.

Through he smells of cheap brandy, his voice and his eyes are totally clear.

"Are you the ones who hunted down the giant raven?"

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius winces as he gets up out of the chair, clicks his heels together and does a slight bow.

He then bids farewell to the men he was playing cards with and walks off with Rardi to catch up.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:
"Also, I have a crossbow and a dagger, they are both concealed. Ahh, I have this staff too. I don't use my weapons, I have my spells to protect myself, but since you never now I carry them with me. I just wanted to let you know and I want to get a license to have them with me."

Inovidil shows to Captain her weapons.
Watch -Captain Rask seems excited by Ino's words.

''Ah, a mage! Excellent, we could really use you! Are you registered...or maybe not powerful enough to attract the notice of the War Wizards? Well, either way, we'll be very happy to have you as a member of the city forces. Of course, no one will expect you to do common duties. Hmmm let me just write up a warrant for you to travel armed and to recruit others....and we'll issue you a badge, too.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.