Favourite Dark Lord...

Discussing all things Ravenloft

Does a "what is your favourite Dark Lord" thread complete a Ravenloft message board?

Yes
69%
No
10%
Errr....
15%
What is Ravenloft? (you really came to the wrong place)
5%

Total votes: 78

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Is Kalidnay before or after the Grand Conjunction? If after no I have not ;)
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Vannax »

RE Tarlyn:
The Island of terror, Kalidnay, arose in 570, so it was long befor Grand Conjucntion. And it persisted even after it.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ah that is why, I am familiar with the Islands of Terror but not the actual islands or the DL's ;)
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

I'm a little surprised with the results I posted earlier... I don't get why Harkon Lukas and Hazlik are so well-liked by the community. Could anyone tell me what book should I read to understand their appeal?
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

The only book I ever read on either of them was Gaz 1, except that story "the glass man" in Tales of Ravenloft, wich featured the results of one of Hazlik's experiments.
Hail Strahd!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

WolfKook wrote:I'm a little surprised with the results I posted earlier... I don't get why Harkon Lukas and Hazlik are so well-liked by the community. Could anyone tell me what book should I read to understand their appeal?
Harkon Lukas is the BOMB, man!

'Cuz he wears a monocle, that's why. :lucas:

On a non-sartorial level, I like Harkon Lukas because I think he's the best example Ravenloft has of the "smiling villain"; also because wolfweres are cool. I don't think "Heart of Midnight" really does him justice, and I haven't read "Death of a Darklord", but the hints you get in "Feast of Goblyns" as to his personality and motives are a pretty good starting point for the character, IMO.

Hazlik I'm not so hot on, although I like a lot of things about Hazlan (especially the idea of "the tables".)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Lukas is interesting because he combines what is worst in man and wolf as well as what is best. He is arguably the core's greatest artist and certainly its greatest singer, touching a primal passion that no mere human ever could, and he hunts werewolves - natural and afflicted - not to make the world a better place but rather out of racial hatred and that their pelts might furnish his den, showing a cruelty that surpasses what either a mere man or a mere wolf would exhibit. Wandering around Barovia pursuing both of these activities evidently attracted more than just the attention of the devil Strahd.
The cure for what ails you
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

Scarycount wrote:The only book I ever read on either of them was Gaz 1, except that story "the glass man" in Tales of Ravenloft, wich featured the results of one of Hazlik's experiments.
Oh and in "song snatcher" there is a brief appearence by the meistersinger of Skald. Lukas is not mentioned by name, just position.
Hail Strahd!
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Harkon Lukas is the BOMB, man!

'Cuz he wears a monocle, that's why. :lucas:
(Moves his hand to his head) Oh! I had forgotten! (Shame on me)

HARKON LUKAS ROCKS :lucas: !!!! LITERALLY!!! :lol:

(BTW: Thanks for the answers... I'll be checking what I can)
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Vannax wrote:
tarlyn st-denfer wrote: Er....Who is Thakok-An?
She is a DL of Kalidnay. Don´t tell me you have never met her.... :P
And "she" used to be a man in Kalidnay's first appearance, in Forbidden Lore. In the first incarnation, Thakok-An was male, and the ruling lord Kalid-Ma was female.

In the second incarnation, they changed the genders around. (I don't remember which sourcebook this was in but I think it was either the Red Box or DOD. I do remember the drawing of Thakok-An as a female was not done by Stephen Fabian, which implies that it's likely NOT the Red Box.)

Seems the Grand Conjunction didn't just switch domains around geographically... it can have more localized exchanges too...
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Well I'm more familiar with before the conjunction than after. That's why I like the DL's I do and am not so familiar with the new ones as well as the new domains and the changes to them. I knew mostly the Core Domains but not the islands of terror. So when people talk about some new things I tend to be lost LOL.

Thanks for listening to me babbling as always :!: :!: :!:
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

he hunts werewolves - natural and afflicted - not to make the world a better place but rather out of racial hatred and that their pelts might furnish his den
I thought werewolves reverted to human form on death. Is he furnishing his den with human skin, or am I mistaken?
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

LouisVendredi wrote:
he hunts werewolves - natural and afflicted - not to make the world a better place but rather out of racial hatred and that their pelts might furnish his den
I thought werewolves reverted to human form on death. Is he furnishing his den with human skin, or am I mistaken?
He's got some kind of elixir that you can use to fix the werewolf in "wolf" form.

*shrug* Hey, being a darklord has its perks.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
LouisVendredi wrote:
He's got some kind of elixir that you can use to fix the werewolf in "wolf" form.

*shrug* Hey, being a darklord has its perks.
Ointment requires Moonflowers from Verbek as I recall.
The cure for what ails you
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

In 3.5, a werewolf's pelt stays a pelt -- the werewolf just has to stay alive while you remove it.