"Shadows of Ravenloft" Startup / OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café

What is your preferred style of play?

Slayer (prefers combat)
No votes
Wargamer (competitive, efficient enjoys combat)
No votes
Thinker (prefers puzzles, traps, and other challenges over combat or interactions)
No votes
Instigator ("impulsive adventurer," troublemaker)
20%
Actor (hard-core roleplayer, prefers roleplaying/interaction over combat)
40%
Explorer/Storyteller (enjoys story/setting/history; makes their character fit the story)
20%
Watcher (just here to socialize/hang out, or because their Significant Other is playing)
20%

Total votes: 5

Crimson King
Conspirator
Conspirator

"Shadows of Ravenloft" Languages and Locations

Post by Crimson King »

First, I apologize for any confusion here: Sithican and Sildeyuir are both dialects of Elvish, so Pietro and Firion (and Imai) can understand each other; and it's difficult. I think Sammy has explained it excellently. Imagine a Cornishman trying to talk with a London cockney or someone from the American "Deep South."

When I took a course in the History of the English Language, one of the readings was the diary of a medieval merchant from London who was having trouble getting "eyen" because the woman in the market called them "eggs."
Lord Soth wrote:What's the Cathedral of the Maiden of Sorrows?
It's in Gaz III, p. 105, "Where to Stay in Mortigny." It's an ancient cathedral of an unknown faith, and Morrwen (and the other Pawns of the Crimson King) discovered some catacombs beneath it which lead to...well, I'll let the players post!
So roundabouts where is Belgravia?
The village of Belgravia, in the district of Pastich -- or perhaps it's the village of Pastich, in the district of Belgravia; the letter was rather confusing on that point, and on others -- is apparently in the southern tip of Borca, close to what used to be Gundarak.
Never heard of Charn. Where can I find info on it?
It's an Island of Terror that I came up with, inspired by Jerome Bixby's horrifying tale "It's a Good Life." I'll post a domain writeup.
Just how clear is "clear"? Am I restricted to a certain percentage of tree density? And do Treants count against this percentage (I assume no, because they're mobile)? Ok, now I'm just being an ass. :P
Oh, I'm using a map from Fantastic Locations: Fields of Ruin. Yes, there are Dread Treants there, and all sorts of other evil plants from Archer Bushes and Assassin Vines to Witherweed and Yellow Musk Creepers. And, yes, you're being an @$$. :-P
Anyway, except for the last one, I'd appreciate some help on these questions as well as the heads up on what books reference them. Thanks.
You're welcome; your character might not know anything about the Sorrows of the Maiden, and certainly wouldn't yet know anything about the catacombs beneath it. To know anything about Charn, you need Knowledge (Ravenloft); or else Knowledge (Local) at -5.

Charn at a Glance
Cultural Level: Medieval (7) to Chivalric ( 8 )
Ecology: Full
Climate/Terrain: Temperate forest, hills, and mountains
Year of Foundation: c. 300 BC or 689 BC
Population: 25,648
Races: Humans 94%, halflings ("prootwaddles") 3%, dwarves 1%, calibans 1%, other 1%
Languages: Amthorian*, Languedor
Religions: The Lawgiver*, the Phoenix (Morninglord), Ezra, Hala
Government: Technocratic feudalism
Ruler: The Crimson King
Darklord: The Crimson King
"Death is too short to put up with this."
Victor Stark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Suggestion

Post by Victor Stark »

John, when you have time, how about a basic writeup of Charn as per the entries for domains in the 3.5 Ravenloft PHB? That would give us all a little something to go on without any spoilers.
- Andrew <:-(}
Victor Stark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Victor Stark, Vampire Slayer

Post by Victor Stark »

Now that I know you can insert pics into these posts, here is Victor. He's supposed to be something of a Solomon Kane type figure, but a little more advanced in time period/cultural level. Image

Feh, not working. Well, you can FIND a pic of Victor here:

http://photos.aim.com/photos/7463b1d4-2 ... 6/22671626
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

So we have a Vampire Hunter and a Wolfwere Hunter, interesting to say the least!
Victor Stark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Victor Stark »

tarlyn wrote:So we have a Vampire Hunter and a Wolfwere Hunter, interesting to say the least!
To say the least. ;-)

Victor now has the first three levels of the Monster Hunter pclass from the 3.5 RL PHB. It averages out as a rogue-ish class, though it offers a combination of skills, abilities, and powers, much like a bard, but more focused and specialized. It is useful for such a character, but will not produce a combat-monster unless combined with a lot of levels of a warrior-type class like ranger (Vic actually has 2 levels of ranger, which is about 1 more than he technically needs to qualify). He's taking all 5 levels of Monster Hunter before he advances into the follow-up class.

Monster Hunter dovetails into another 5-level pclass, the Specialty Hunter, which lets you get even more specialized abilities to deal with your chosen foe. I don't know if this is the path you had in mind for Pietro but feel free to read up on it regardless. He'll kick a little less ass overall, but will be better equipped to fight and defend against werebeasts. The best equivalent in terms of BAB, skills, and specialized abilities is probably bard-esque.
Crimson King
Conspirator
Conspirator

Charn (was: Suggestion

Post by Crimson King »

Victor Stark wrote:John, when you have time, how about a basic writeup of Charn as per the entries for domains in the 3.5 Ravenloft PHB? That would give us all a little something to go on without any spoilers.
Charn is an Island of Terror about 30 miles across, and I don't think many characters in Ravenloft would know anything about it. I think the information I gave in the previous post is probably enough for now. (OOC, it's also not a for general use.)
Victor Stark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Charn (was: Suggestion

Post by Victor Stark »

Crimson King wrote:
Victor Stark wrote:John, when you have time, how about a basic writeup of Charn as per the entries for domains in the 3.5 Ravenloft PHB? That would give us all a little something to go on without any spoilers.
Charn is an Island of Terror about 30 miles across, and I don't think many characters in Ravenloft would know anything about it. I think the information I gave in the previous post is probably enough for now. (OOC, it's also not a for general use.)
That's pretty big as far as domains go. Not a criticism, just a note. There are domains as small as a large building out there in the Mists. One of the largest published ones, I think, is Souragne.
Crimson King
Conspirator
Conspirator

Manuscrit en écriture Inconnue (MS In An Unknown Hand)

Post by Crimson King »

[This is a portion of the note that Morrwyn found in the library of the Cathedral of the Maiden of Sorrows. <i>S'excuser a S.J.R.U.G. (Système Jeu-de-Rôle Universel Générique) Magie...]
Quintidi, 15 Fructidor, 214
Ici et là à travers tout le pays, quelque chose inconnu et terrible c'est passe...</i>
(Here and there across the land, something strange and terrible is happening. Pits, caves, and tunnels open in the earth, giving access to underground labyrinths. Many who venture in never return, but those who do bear wealth and amazing magical artifacts, and stories of combat with creatures like devils in the flesh...)
<i>M. le évêque d'Richemulot a sollicité les Inquisiteurs et exorcistes pour faire une enquête sur celui-ci. Ils sont entrer dans le Metro pour jeter un coup d'œil à cetts magies noires ... </i>
(The bishop has called on inquisitors and exorcists to investigate the matter. They are to enter the underground complex beneath the city in search of these Black Magics...)

<i>Plus tard: Les investigateurs ont fait découvertes inquiétantes. Le Metro abonde en créatures du cauchemar d'un malade...</i>
(Later: The investigators have made disturbing discoveries. The underground complexes are full of creatures out of a madman's nightmare, all ferocious and aggressive. The surroundings and these adversaries grow darker and deadlier as one travels deeper. And each time a creature dies, the killer experiences an enhancement of his abilities...
It is the conclusion of the Inquisition that the hidden realms were shaped by a demon which feeds off greed and terror, and the blood spilled in its domain. They must be sealed up forever...)

<i>Quartidi, 4 Pluviôse, 217
C'est finie. Le Metro est condamné -- interdit. Nous simplement pouvons espérer et prier a la Demoselle bienheureux que cettes articles de valeur, richesses unnaturelles, non tombent a mains mals...</i>
(It's done. The underground is closed off -- sealed up. Now we can only hope and pray to Our Lady that these dangerous magic treasures do not fall into the wrong hands...)

[Then follows an extensive list or catalog of magic items purported to be sealed in the Catacombs.]
Victor Stark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Manuscrit en écriture Inconnue (MS In An Unknown Hand)

Post by Victor Stark »

Crimson King wrote:[This is a portion of the note that Morrwyn found in the library of the Cathedral of the Maiden of Sorrows. <i>S'excuser a S.J.R.U.G. (Système Jeu-de-Rôle Universel Générique) Magie...]<i>

GURPS? LOL!

Quintidi, 15 Fructidor, 214

Is this calendar remotely familiar to us RL natives?

Ici et là à travers tout le pays, quelque chose inconnu et terrible c'est passe...</i>
(Here and there across the land, something strange and terrible is happening. Pits, caves, and tunnels open in the earth, giving access to underground labyrinths. Many who venture in never return, but those who do bear wealth and amazing magical artifacts, and stories of combat with creatures like devils in the flesh...)
<i>M. le évêque d'Richemulot a sollicité les Inquisiteurs et exorcistes pour faire une enquête sur celui-ci. Ils sont entrer dans le Metro pour jeter un coup d'œil à cetts magies noires ... </i>
(The bishop has called on inquisitors and exorcists to investigate the matter. They are to enter the underground complex beneath the city in search of these Black Magics...)

<i>Plus tard: Les investigateurs ont fait découvertes inquiétantes. Le Metro abonde en créatures du cauchemar d'un malade...</i>
(Later: The investigators have made disturbing discoveries. The underground complexes are full of creatures out of a madman's nightmare, all ferocious and aggressive. The surroundings and these adversaries grow darker and deadlier as one travels deeper. And each time a creature dies, the killer experiences an enhancement of his abilities...
It is the conclusion of the Inquisition that the hidden realms were shaped by a demon which feeds off greed and terror, and the blood spilled in its domain. They must be sealed up forever...)

<i>Quartidi, 4 Pluviôse, 217
C'est finie. Le Metro est condamné -- interdit. Nous simplement pouvons espérer et prier a la Demoselle bienheureux que cettes articles de valeur, richesses unnaturelles, non tombent a mains mals...</i>
(It's done. The underground is closed off -- sealed up. Now we can only hope and pray to Our Lady that these dangerous magic treasures do not fall into the wrong hands...)

Sounds like something we SHOULDN'T be disturbing...looks like I'm going to have to have a little chat with Morwynn about that treasure horde, esp. since her eye is on some of the more corrupt stuff...

[Then follows an extensive list or catalog of magic items purported to be sealed in the Catacombs.]
:P :P :P :P

Which still looks too good to be true, from what I recall. :twisted: :P :P :P :lol: :twisted:
Crimson King
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Manuscrit en écriture Inconnue (MS In An Unknown Hand)

Post by Crimson King »

Victor Stark wrote:<i>S.J.R.U.G. (Système Jeu-de-Rôle Universel Générique) Magie...</i>

GURPS? LOL!
Yeah, nothing gets past you, does it? :-P
Quintidi, 15 Fructidor, 514

Is this calendar remotely familiar to us RL natives?
Presumably it's the Richemuloise (i.e. High Mordentish) version of the standard Barovian calendar used throughout the Core. If so, this places the dating over two centuries ago, and over a century before Richemulot appeared in the Mists.
Sounds like something we SHOULDN'T be disturbing...looks like I'm going to have to have a little chat with Morwynn about that treasure horde, esp. since her eye is on some of the more corrupt stuff...
"Heh-heh-heh," as the Cryptkeeper says.
<i>Then follows an extensive list or catalog of magic items purported to be sealed in the Catacombs.</i>

Which still looks too good to be true, from what I recall.
Heh-heh-heh...
ImaiSiafanar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ImaiSiafanar »

I seem to have lost my RP vibe a bit..I will get to posting IC, just not coming up with much at the moment.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Likewise, I'll start posting tomorrow. I was going to start, today, but today's so far turned into a pretty horrible day. :( I'll be in a better mood tomorrow, though.
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
Crimson King
Conspirator
Conspirator

A Spoonful of Sugar; or, Were-Ratatouille

Post by Crimson King »

I'm sorry to hear about your OOC difficulties; please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Meanwhile, perhaps I can cheer you up by posting a list of some of the loot reputed to be in <i>le Metro d' Mortigny</i> (the underground/Catacombs).

* <i>Armure à l'épreuve des flèches</i> ("Armor Proof Against Arrows")
* <i>Bouclier ou pavois du Soleil</i> (Shield of the Sun)
* <i>Cotte de mailles de Fée</i> (Elven Chainmail)
* <i>L'épée Vengeur Sacré</i> (Holy Avenger sword)
* <i>L'épée du Soleil</i> (Sun Blade)
* <i>L'épée Barbare Sauvage</i> (Vicious Berserking Mighty Cleaving broadsword)
* <i>Doleur d'Embrayage</i> (Shifter's Sorrow)
* <i>Amulette du Bête
* Anneau de Parler aux Bêtes</i> (Ring of Beast-Speech)
* Anneau d'Ordonner aux Brumes</i> ("Ring of Commanding the Mists")
* <i>Anneau du Pavois de la Maîtresse</i> (Ring of the Shield of the Maiden)
* <i>Anneau des étoiles filantes</i> (Ring of Shooting Stars)
* <i>Anneau de Sustenance
* Bâton d'Annulation</i> (Rod of Cancellation)
* <i>Bâton de Négation
* Bâton de la Bourgeoisie</i> (Rod of Lordly Might)
* <i>Bâton de Nécromancie
* Bâton d'éclairement</i> (Staff of Illumination)
* <i>Sac à Malice</i> (Bag of Tricks)
* <i>Ceinture de Fort Géant
* Brassard d'Armour
* Cierge d'Invocation
* Cierge d'Verité
* Cartes d'illusions
* Poudre d'Illusion
* Figurine de Pouvoir Merveilleux: Le Raton Noir
* Gantelets de Puissance d'Ogre
* Bijou de Voir Vraiment</i> (Gem of True Sight)
* <i>Bijou du Salud
* Lunettes du Noir
* Cahier des Automates
* Main de la Gloire
* Main du Magien
* Main du Maitresse
* Encense de la Méditation
* Rocailles d'Ioun
* Flasque de Fer
* Mante de Foi</i> (Mantle of Faith)
* <i>Masque du Tête a Mort
* Tête a Mort Noir
* Phylactère de Fidélité
* Phylactère de Tourner des Mortes
* Flûte d'égout
* Robe d'ossements
* Robe d'objets utiles
* Robe du mélange</i> (Robe of Blending)
* <i>Scarabée de protection
* Cape de protection
* Chapelet</i> (Necklace of Prayer Beads)
* <i>Livre de Ténèbre/Obscurité Vile
* Livre de Damnation Inevitable
Victor Stark
Conspirator
Conspirator

You know the demiplane is going downhill when....

Post by Victor Stark »

Crimson King wrote:"Und zere vill be heroes here, uff might und walor . . . <i>for me to zuck on!</i>" He threw back his head and laughed with unholy mirth...
Great, we're up against Triumph, the Insult Comic Vampire!

Sorry to do an OOC post here, I just couldn't resist. :twisted:
ImaiSiafanar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ImaiSiafanar »

I think we need some DM input in IC now..I'm still stuck as to what to do.
In a setting that I personally don't know, or my characters..so following others hoping they find what they're looking for is about all I can think of to do..