Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: A Second Interlude

Post by NeoTiamat »

Dining Room, The Monastery of Stilled Nightmares, Sebua
July 20th, 761, 1:39 PM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Andre's explosive resignation caused a slight lull in the conversation of the remaining expedition members. Carter set his mouth firmly into a line and set his hands on the table, as if to stand and say something, but he was interrupted by a soft whisper from Remy. The grad student had paused with a spoonful of saffron rice halfway to his mouth, no longer interested by the food in the slightest.

"You... you knew about all of this?" he breathed.

"Why didn't you tell us?! Some of us might've liked to know that our own professor was part of a secret society or that we were traveling with a werewolf!" Remy hissed, venom in his voice, glaring at Lia with a palpable hatred. "You knew we were just pawns and you just...!"

He cut himself off suddenly, his eyes alighting on Andre. He slumped, slightly, in his seat, no longer angry. Just disappointed... and slightly afraid. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Yes Remy, people keep secrets. Congratulations on this discovery." Sebastian said mildly. Remy subsided, though there was a sadness in his voice. The Richemuloise professor continued. "You still haven't explained yourself, Miss Mournswaithe. Please do."

It was not phrased as a request.
Whistler wrote:"Ahem. I suspect Jervis of lycanthropy."
"Well. You'd know, if anyone," Professor Marchand-Renier said with a hint of an ironic smile.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:"So does anyone ELSE have any dark secrets we should be knowing about? Sinister oaths to unspeakable powers, master plans to revolutionize the world, double lives as masked vigilantes? Because now seems like an opportune time to tell!"
Charles coughs slightly, stands, and makes a bow with the faintest ironic tinge. "Charles Martel, captain in the Dementlieuse Army, assigned to military intelligence," he says, in a conversational tone of voice. "I don't quite know if that falls into any of your categories, M'sieur Eisenwald, but..." He shrugs eloquently. "When the scabbards are broken, we can no longer hide our swords, as the Hazlani say."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Seated at the far end of table, Sascha eats steadily, devouring bread and fowl with the conviction of an old warrior. He remains silent, barely acknowledging the revelations and accusations flying back and forth. His head comes up once, at Tomas' outburst of all things, and an odd faraway look comes into his eyes as he stares at the young Lamordian.

It is fleeting though and the Knight resumes his meal, scrupulously finishing each morsel as if it was the last he would taste in this life. Once finished he wipes his beard and drains his glass, then with deliberate movements stands and waits for a moment of calm before he speaks.

"These are dark hours when you speak long of betrayal and conspiracy, certainly there are many wrongs here that need to be set right. I know little of your predicament nor do I care overmuch for how things came to be as they are, yet it would seem our courses lie parallel."

He pauses looking off at a point somewhere about six feet above Andre's head.

"I was told once years ago that honour lies in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. I did not believe it then for I was a selfish man, yet the truth of these words have shown themselves to me." He glances around the table with a stern look in his eye, before slamming a mailed fist into his open palm. "Now is time for right action, and by doing so to assuage the suffering these blackguards may bring."

"I go to chase down these betrayers, and punish them for their wicked deeds. If you wish me to join you and lend my arm to your venture then I would be honoured to assist you, if you choose not then I will follow my own path to the same end, I leave the choice with you."
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

NeoTiamat wrote:"Why didn't you tell us?! Some of us might've liked to know that our own professor was part of a secret society or that we were traveling with a werewolf!"
"Suspected werewolf." Otto raises a cautionary finger; he realizes that it's pretty much a lost cause to get between Remy and Lia on the best of days, but the "why'd you keep quiet about this" issue's been weighing heavily enough on him recently that he'd prefer to give his excuses while he has the chance. "There was being nothing to link Jervis *directly* to the case of Pelletier--that being my assignment--and I did not want to..."

"...Ach." The gunsmith lowers his gaze awkwardly, removing his spectacles and giving them a nervous once-over with a handkerchief. "I am figuring, 'this man is a reprobate, but he is our reprobate'...for his usefulness to the group, I did not want to confront him. Of course, if I had known now..."
NeoTiamat wrote:[quote="The Whistler]"Ahem. I suspect Jervis of lycanthropy."
"Well. You'd know, if anyone," Professor Marchand-Renier said with a hint of an ironic smile.[/quote]

Otto looks up from his glasses, takes a few moments to consider the proper comeback to this particular rhetorical thrust, then realizes that there isn't one. The ironic smile is returned in kind. Keep telling the guys it's a spell-like ability, but what're you gonna do? I'll take a few verbal cracks over the torch-and-pitchfork crowd, anyway.
Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Charles Martel, captain in the Dementlieuse Army, assigned to military intelligence."
The gunsmith skillfully disguises a spit take as a sneeze.
ostboy wrote:"I go to chase down these betrayers, and punish them for their wicked deeds. If you wish me to join you and lend my arm to your venture then I would be honoured to assist you, if you choose not then I will follow my own path to the same end, I leave the choice with you."
[/quote]

Well. Otto doesn't exactly know how to follow that. For the fiftieth time on this journey, the graduate student reminds himself that he is, in fact, a graduate student, and that as such there is absolutely no reason for him to be trapped in an isolated monastery with a (dammit he is actually inspiring) throwback of a crusader, or to be in any position to stop a group of treacherous grave robbers from bleeding an ancient tomb dry, in the name of both retribution and responsible archaeological technique.

Reality is a funny sort of thing, isn't it?

Otto quirks a smile at the knight from across the table. "For my part, Herr Dzemianovich...I welcome you to the team."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan heaved a heavy sigh and set his nectar glass down. Wow was all he could think. Just wow. All of this had been happening under the surface, and that wasn't even discounting whatever Samael did to convince the other guards to abandon the rest of them here. The priest found it very easy to sympathize with the feelings expressed by Tomas and Remy. He knew there was some kind of intrigue going on, but almost every single person had secrets and gods only knew how many other secrets might be still hidden away. Here, people could say anything and get it "out there" as the truth, and it would largely be believed. So now people had an easy way to just hide in plain sight.

He sighed again and stared absently into his nectar as people continued talking. A fury, not unlike Remy's, began to build in him. Unlike Remy, he knew the intrigue was going on, but the utter betrayal compounded with all of the dark secrets really shook the priest to his core. He'd grown to like some of these people and in his naivete he allowed them to make a dupe out of him. After everything they'd been through, too. And now, his gaze passed slowly over each and every person left on the expedition -- if it could be called such anymore. Nearly everyone here knew his own "secret," that he was at the battle where Menetnashte was defeated, that he was born centuries earlier, that somehow, the brand on his palm linked him to their quarry in some very significant way.

The priest rubbed his temples. He continued to sit in quiet, brooding contemplation as everyone else revealed their stories.

"I suppose," he said in a soft voice, "it's important to know why everyone came on this Expedition and why they stay with it -- if they will stay with it. I came for my own reasons, reasons of faith, but I stay because of whatever destiny links me to Menetnashte's Tomb. If ever I was part of this Expedition because of this 'organization,' I never knew it."
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

NeoTiamat wrote:
He cut himself off suddenly, his eyes alighting on Andre. He slumped, slightly, in his seat, no longer angry. Just disappointed... and slightly afraid. "Why didn't you tell us?"
Andre looked at Remy, his face showing something that might actually be guilt. "Remy, if I had told you..quite simply..what would you have done?"
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 20th, 761, 1:42 PM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nathan of the Fos wrote:"Charles Martel, captain in the Dementlieuse Army, assigned to military intelligence," he says, in a conversational tone of voice. "I don't quite know if that falls into any of your categories, M'sieur Eisenwald, but..." He shrugs eloquently. "When the scabbards are broken, we can no longer hide our swords, as the Hazlani say."
Most of the Expedition just stared at the young mathematician's little pronouncement, but Professor Marchand-Renier had a very self-satisfied look in his cold, blue eyes. It is perhaps a poor analogy given his heritage, but he looked just like the cat who had eaten the cream.

"Pleasure to have you on board, Captain Martel."
YalenusVeler wrote:Andre looked at Remy, his face showing something that might actually be guilt. "Remy, if I had told you..quite simply..what would you have done?"
"I don't know." Remy said after a moment, voice quiet and somber. "But I thought you trusted me..."

"Nevermind..." The linguistics student sighed. "I guess some things are just more important."
Kaitou Kage wrote:"I suppose," Kuzan said in a soft voice, "it's important to know why everyone came on this Expedition and why they stay with it -- if they will stay with it. I came for my own reasons, reasons of faith, but I stay because of whatever destiny links me to Menetnashte's Tomb. If ever I was part of this Expedition because of this 'organization,' I never knew it."
"I'm going because I have a duty to see the Eye destroyed. Sorry Tomas, but there's still a few secrets left." Professor Carter said with a smile. "I'm afraid I serve another master than the University of Dementlieu."

"The Order of the Guardians is an old brotherhood whose task it is to destroy artifacts of evil and ruin. I met up with them back in my adventuring days, and I'm a lay-brother." Carter shrugged. "The Eye of Anubis is a bit beyond my rank, but I was the person with the connections to get in, and so it's my responsibility. At the least, the Eye should stay where it is, hidden and guarded, if we can't destroy it."

"I've a few ideas, actually, on how to do that... the Order of the Guardians has a few tried and true methods." Professor Carter looked up, eyes somber. "I won't know if they work till we find it, though."

"This is brilliant." Professor Marchand-Renier laughed. "An officer of Dementlieu, a Guardian Seeker, Dilisnya, what else? Remy, I don't suppose you happen to be an ancient undead mage hiding in the form of a student?"

The sullen glare Remy gave his professor was eloquent, and not too friendly. Sarari spoke after a moment, voice soft and almost gentle, though the tension behind it was coiled like a spring. "Yet you have not spoken of your secrets yet, Marchand-Renier."

"I fear you will need to seek dramatic revelations elsewhere, my dear. This scholar is keeping his." Professor Marchand-Renier snatched up a glass of nectar from the table. "But I'm not accustomed to losing, so I'll seek the Tomb as well."

"To success." Sebastian toasted drily, though there was a madly cheerful gleam in his eyes, an amusement at the level of duplicity and treachery that was really very satisfying to the Renier. "May we not be betrayed more often than once a month!"
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"Oh, come, Professor, don't be a spoilsport," Charles says chidingly, popping a grape into his mouth as he leans his chair back on two legs and then flipping the stem at the professor. "Nothing to declare? You're not a member of the Villains Pursuivant? A secret representative of the Ezran Inquisition? You've got the ascetic look, if not the reverent tongue...Sure you don't care to take advantage of this one-time special dispensation?"

Glancing around, Charles says, "Anyone else in need of confession? Good for the soul, or so they tell me; generally I avoid it like the plague."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 20th, 761, 1:42 PM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Oh, come, Professor, don't be a spoilsport," Charles says chidingly, popping a grape into his mouth as he leans his chair back on two legs and then flipping the stem at the professor. "Nothing to declare? You're not a member of the Villains Pursuivant? A secret representative of the Ezran Inquisition? You've got the ascetic look, if not the reverent tongue...Sure you don't care to take advantage of this one-time special dispensation?"
Professor Marchand-Renier watched the stem fall woefully short, probably best all around. He twirled his cup of nectar. "I'd rather not. I'm not yet convinced that all this honesty floating about isn't hazardous to one's health."

"Best test it on the students first." Sebastian smiled. "If you're still alive in a few months, I may consider."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

NeoTiamat wrote:
Professor Marchand-Renier watched the stem fall woefully short, probably best all around. He twirled his cup of nectar. "I'd rather not. I'm not yet convinced that all this honesty floating about isn't hazardous to one's health."

"Best test it on the students first." Sebastian smiled. "If you're still alive in a few months, I may consider."
"Wise man. No wonder you've lived to such an august age. Well, a short life and a merry one." Charles sits forward and the chair comes down with a loud clack. "I take it that the rest of us are of Professor Renier's mind--to press on regardless, for the good of the world as we know it, civilization, virtue, and not letting the other fellow put one in our eye--in no particular order? In that case, I'll second your oath, Professor. To success." Raising his own cup, Charles salutes the company and drinks.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

NeoTiamat wrote:"You... you knew about all of this?" Remy breathed. "Why didn't you tell us?! Some of us might've liked to know that our own professor was part of a secret society or that we were traveling with a werewolf!" Remy hissed, venom in his voice, glaring at Lia with a palpable hatred. "You knew we were just pawns and you just...!"

"Yes Remy, people keep secrets. Congratulations on this discovery." Sebastian said mildly. Remy subsided, though there was a sadness in his voice. The Richemuloise professor continued. "You still haven't explained yourself, Miss Mournswaithe. Please do."
"Yes, I found these things out and kept them a secret," Lia says. "Yes, I did. I was assured by several knowledgeable authorities that the secret organization kills people who find out about it, and in a particularly unpleasant manner.

If you recall, Lassard, there was a time when I tried to apologize for what I had done to you. I was this close to telling you ... and decided not to. I had - have - no particular desire to put you in that kind of danger, not when I had no real certainty as to whom on this expedition was involved with the organization and who was not. That 'which is more important' than trusting you with such frightful knowledge, was simply a desire to keep you under the organization's line of sight and out of danger. I am sure you can find it in your heart to hate me for that, but I will not regret trying to keep you out of harm's way when I still could."

Lia turns her back on the rest of the room to sip more nectar, but continues to speak.

"Whatever Jervis is, it seemed unpleasantly obvious that he is bad news in many ways. The werewolf bit is just added sauce to a rather bad roast ... and I did not know whether he was human or other. All I had to go on in that respect was his odd reflection in the Near Ethereal, where he resembles a black dragon.

One of the reasons I did not bandy all of this information about, is that I was hoping to play the Dilisnyas against the organization; it seemed the sensible thing to do.

I thought the Dilisnyas, as mercenaries, could be persuaded, bribed if you will. As for your so kindly formulated request, Marchand-Renier, the Dilisnya made it quite obvious that any deal which included him, would also have to include Lilith. We were close to having an arrangement, but I suppose the Lorelei's blessing trumped what cards I had to play in one fell swoop."

Lia turns back to the room, her glass drained to the dregs. "I gambled," she says quietly, "I lost. I have no excuses for that. I am ... rather new at this game of maneuvering and dealing."

The Wizard sighs and turns a brief look on Charles, but then shrugs and goes for broke: "Confessions, confessions ... Most of you know about my delightful family situation by now. If my father has not already made arrangements to end my life, then surely he will do so soon. I had come on this expedition to become too visible a figure, too integral a member of the university, for him to be able to have me bumped off, that is entirely true.

I also had a pressing desire to be away from Dementlieu for a while. A man forced me to reveal my face to him, not too long before we left. He drowned himself in the river immediately afterwards - on purpose, I assure you, and not my purpose. I had no desire to be burned at the stake for such a matter.

But none of those reasons are why I choose to go on; they do not matter to me any more. The Eye must be destroyed, or buried so deep that no one will ever find it again. I have seen the same things most of you have, heard what most of you have. The visions conjured by the Anubite, the books in Dezbar keep, in Pharazia ... The Vistani laying of cards. I choose to go on because I am fed up with watching evil do as it will. I say no more. I will go on. Until the end, one way or another.

I would remain a part of this group if it will have me. If it will not, I will try to make my own way somehow. Noisome as the thought is, I can contact a greater Fey, and negotiate terms if such becomes necessary. I can conjure mounts and housing to cross the desert. I can rain destruction down on our enemies and provide other services. And more importantly, I trust most of you gathered here. I would go on. We have been whittled down to the bone, but now at least we know who is on our side and who is not. I would go on."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 20th, 761, 1:48 PM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Rock wrote:Still, captain, there is something which I would appreciate your explaining. One time when I spied on you and Pelletier" - Lia manages to admit to spying with a remarkable lack of embarrassment - "he said 'the woman can not interfere', and that you should not make a fuss. What did he mean by that?
"I think I recall that night." Edmund said after a moment. "It was the night I told you about her..."

"I imagine I should back up and explain." The Mordentishman said with a heavy voice, though a note of hope threaded its way through it. "Several generations ago, my family was cursed by a graveyard hag, that the firstborn child ever seek love and that death always finds him first. I'm the firstborn son of my generation. And if I were to find my love, I'd break the curse."

"I once asked a Vistani seer to point me to love." It was easy to ignore Harris, in a way. Though he was a huge man, he was kind, and he was gentle, and he rarely sought the limelight. But now he spoke with determination. "She told me I would find it in the desert. So I hired on with this Expedition and sought it."

"I'm a sketch-artist, if a poor one, and Lia here caught me sketching my love. I see her in my dreams, sometimes." Edmund smiled. "I had a bit of a row with Professor Pelletier after Lia told me who it is."

"Turns out the graveyard hag cursed cleverer than she knew. My fated love is the person you've been calling the Anubite."

"It... wasn't the best shock in the world. I talked to the Professor that night, told him about it, that I might be compromised." Edmund shook his head. "If forced to choose... I'd try to save everyone, you and her. But my commander needed to know. But Pelletier said that my love was of no consequence, that she couldn't interfere in this Expedition, that no foreign priestess had sufficient power to stop us."

"So many curses and magics..." Sarari whispered softly in her corner. "This is a foul voyage we are on."

"Maybe. Maybe not, if I can find her." Edmund said quietly. After a moment, he spoke up. "Still, that brings up another problem. Pelletier is dead, Maleagant is escaped, and I'm... well, I've not proven myself too reliable so far. But this Expedition needs a leader."

"A very good point, Captain Harris." Professor Marchand-Renier said, sipping the cup of nectar with relish. "It would also be a good way to reclaim a bit of legality from Maleagant. As is, he can claim that he's the Expedition, and we're the runaways. If we act as a disorganized rabble, we strengthen his case."

"So we need a leader, and we should conduct ourselves with decorum." The Richemuloise professor looked out across the Expedition. "Probably a lost cause, that. Still, we need a superior."

"He'd have to be a professor. Aside from the Captain, none of the guards have sufficient rank or seniority to take this position. Nor would the University accept a student or foreign expert commanding professors and hired soldiers." Marchand-Renier shrugged. "Unfortunate, perhaps, but that is the way it is."

"The leader would have to be of impeccable judgement." The look Marchand-Renier gave Devereux elegantly summed up the the myriad flaws with that candidate.

"And finally, the leader couldn't be beholden to any outside force, whether organizational." Sebastian nodded politely to Carter, then turned to Andre. "Nor supernatural."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Do you suggest yourself, then?" Kuzan asked the obvious question in a small voice, "If so, how do we know you are not bound by other ties? Or do you have someone in mind?"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I find your criteria to be flawed, professor Marchand-Renier," Lia says with chill tones. "The 'Menetnashte Expedition' is nothing but a hoax, a sham. It is nothing. We all know the tomb of Menetnashte is not just a historical treasure trove, it is a death trap, whose occupant is eager to escape and once again pollute the world.

Let the Dilisnya claim he is the leader of the Menetnashte Expedition. Let him live that lie, if he wants to. If we go on, does anyone here truly believe we are still going for the sole purpose of making rubbings of ancient stone tablets and carring carefully catalogued ancient treasures to a museum in Dementlieu? I would not like to think that anyone here is that stupid.

If we are going, we must go to neutralise the Eye, and head off Cavendish and the Dilisnyas before they unleash something horrible upon us all. It is a shame about the historical information the tomb might yield, but I'll see it all in ruins before I stand by and allow some ancient demon-raiser to resurrect himself and bring Hell to our world - again - or allow Cavendish to warp reality in the Core, or allow the Dilisnyas to do something we can't even conceive of because they make some mistake with what's buried in that sepulchre.

From this moment on, those of us who are going to the Tomb can no longer be the Menetnashte Expedition. If by some miracle we have a chance to save genuine, harmless archaeological artifacts, all well and good. But it can not be our first concern. We are, in a very practical way, not working for the University here; it is the world's safety that should concern us.

This being the case, we need different criteria for a leader. If we are thinking of a leader for the kind of task that lies before us, then I nominate professor Carter. He has the experience and the connections needed to lead us in neutralising a terrible threat from the past. Additionally, he has treated all of us fairly and is a respectable man, as far as I know."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 20th, 761, 1:48 PM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Kaitou Kage wrote:"Do you suggest yourself, then?" Kuzan asked the obvious question in a small voice, "If so, how do we know you are not bound by other ties? Or do you have someone in mind?"
"I do have seniority of those remaining here, so it would be logical." Marchand-Renier agreed, a twinkle in his eyes. "And as of yet the Linguistics Department has yet to achieve ancient conspiracy status, though we're working on it."

"More seriously..." Marchand-Renier spread his hands. "I'm not on good terms with my family, if that is who you're worried about."
Rock wrote:"If we go on, does anyone here truly believe we are still going for the sole purpose of making rubbings of ancient stone tablets and carring carefully catalogued ancient treasures to a museum in Dementlieu? I would not like to think that anyone here is that stupid.
"Thank you Lia, for your tactful, insightful, and eloquent rebuttal." Professor Marchand-Renier said drily. "So young, yet already possessed of all the intellect and wisdom you shall ever require in your life. All six months of it, at the rate you're making people want to strangle you."

"Regardless, you're somewhat missing the point." The Richemuloise professor continued. "Appearances are important. I'm going to assume that you've not descended into barbarism so much as to decide to execute our wayward colleagues immediately on finding them. So we're going to have to return them to Dementlieu for trial and imprisonment."

"If Maleagant has the cloak of legality and we do not, and we don't have the evidence to prove his abandonment and crimes, then there's an excellent chance that he'll go free and we might end up in disgrace for cowardice and abandoning the Expedition." Marchand-Renier pointed out. "I would prefer to head that off by maintaining the illusion that we're working for the University of Dementlieu, at the least."

"Now... if we do succeed in interdicting Maleagant and getting the Eye... well, accidents do happen, and we're really very sorry the Eye fell into that bottomless gorge in G'Henna or what-not." The light glinted off the otherworldly nectar in the cup as Marchand-Renier moved it about. "But I don't see why we should become outlaws in the process of 'saving the world' as you so melodramatically put it if we don't have a reason."