Kartakass: Chapter Seven

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Kartakass: Chapter Seven

Post by steveflam »

"So I did happen upon the owner in the back of the shop. Unfortunately for her, she is now ashes. Her companions burnt in the grease spell you cast, Lucius. Interesting use of it to say the least."

Cornelius wakens from his drugged wine.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Thank you again Jacob, your intervention saved us one more time!"

Says Van smiling at the dark elf.

When Cornelius wakes up, the wizard goes beside him and helps him stand at his feet.

"Are you ok Cornelius? Pay attention, you might feel a little dizzy. You fell asleep for some reason. The woman at the shop was a vampire and set the place on fire, but fortunately Jacob was there and saved all of us. Ah and as we were waiting for you outside of the shop 8 men with hooks attacked us, but Lucius and Jacob took care of them too. Then we enter in the shop and barely manage to get you outside."

Van look all of them as speaking.

"I doubt that this was a coincidence my friends. Ah, forgot to tell you Cornelius, the owl of the wizard we bumped into at the ship to Darkon, was the one who gave me a letter warning us that the shop owner was a vampire! I think we should find this wizard guys, he saved our lives and....I think we should ask him some more questions. Do you agree? I think he is following us for some reason and I'm eager to know why."

Van looks at Cornelius and realizes that he hasn't given any time to the dwarf to say a word, but he has immediately overhelmed him with what has happened to them.

"I'm sorry Cornelius, just many things happened and I wanted to fill you in. So what happened in there? And most important do you feel better?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius sits up and looks about confusedly, trying to make sense of his current situation.

''Vampire....fire...men with hooks??? Hunnnnnnnhhhh....I could use a drink. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius gives a hearty laugh at the dwarf's reply, saying

"Sure, sure. Anything you want, my friend. As long as you are ready to walk in the morning", he adds with a smile.

Turning to Jacob, then he says.

"Well, yes, that was great team work. Unexpected, but excellent. I cast my spell merely to delay them, but adding a bit of fire on top of it was... I should say, gastronomically exquisite?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

In the meantime, Ithan has returned from his search of the owl to relay to Van "I didn't find bird, master.. I don't see good after the big globe in the sky sets. I'm sorry."

Inside the Inn...

Jacob turns to Lucius. "Why yes. That grease spell really turned out to be a big help in dealing with the eight men. I"ve never used it that way, but have heard of a person or two doing it. I had always wanted to try it, but the occasion never came about.

As for the vampiress, I hid in the shadows. I was suspecting she might be lackadaisical in her escape. She was. I staked her with ease because I was prepared with a rather nasty stake and two spells I have for such contingencies. I burned her after. I really hate vampires, actually. They were my first undead experience and I've battled a few in my day.

I did want to save you guys some fun, but I couldn't resist trying my fireball amidst the thugs in the grease area. As Lucius said, it worked perfectly. I'm not sure if you are capable of facing a vampire so I took the opportunity to take care of it myself. I always have a few stakes on my person or in my bag. And I always have a few spells for such foul creatures.

Now, tell us Cornelius, what she wanted with you inside? Did you learn anything?"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elsewhere.......

The old man looks up from his meal to the ceiling.

"Master, I gave the paper."

"Very well, my friend. Meet me at the window. I will hide you from sight and you will go watch them."

He rises from his seat at the table and moves to a window. The owl waits there on the sill. Opening the window, he removes a ring from a bag.

"Hold out your claw."

The owl obeys without question. HE then slips the ring on it and onto it's tiny leg. It shrinks to fit it's digit. Lupzig also disappears from sight.

"Go now and observe them from afar. You won't be seen."

"Yes, master"

Balfour doesn't see the owl fly off into the night but feels it leave the sill. Smiling to himself he closes the window and returns to his meal. Let's see what these youngsters have in them. Helmut and his bodyguard hadn't much to offer information wise, though I fear this elf is the key to them having any success with these items. There's more to him that meets the eye. I'll put a word out to some of our agents and see what comes up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The owl flies off into the night. Arriving at the shop Lupzig sees it is on fire and the party is regrouped in front of it. There seems to be a short discussion before they depart and end up at an Inn. The hawk is not far from it's master, so the owl remains at a safe distance so as not to arouse the other bird's suspicions. Lupzig's advantage over Ithan is she is is a night bird and Ithan is a day bird.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius, now fully cognizant of his surroundings, answers the question:

''Well, she wanted to know your names, why we were in Darkon, and such like that. I'm certain I gave her our names and prfessions, and told her that we were on a mission for the Ezrans- but nothing else, I think. The woman must have used some sort of mind control on me. I'm sorry I said anything at all. I hope you forgive me, friends.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"You have nothing to be sorry Cornelius, you are under the effect of a spell or of something like that. Our names is easy to know, most of us are from Darkon and I'm actually from Martira Bay. The most important think is that you haven't revealed our mission. You said that is a task we got from Ezrans but that's not say much. I think we are safe for now. But still I want to meet this man from the ship again, or at least know more about him. For sure he has a reason to pay attention on us and I don't believe in coincidences. We need to be careful to whom we are talking my friends, he is a wizard and as most of you know, wizards are capable to mask their appearance or use other to gather information at their behalf..."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Van is right, perhaps we should somehow try to use magic protection against detection of some kind. I don't have much in that area, but I'll go look into my books anyway and see what I can find."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I too have some spells I could use. Though the impression I got from this old man is he meant us no harm. Plus he did warn us about the vampire. Could he possibly not be working alone? Where I come from there are several groups of good, neutral and evil doers. The Harpers come to mind as do the Black Network or the Zhentarim. Are there not groups like that here?"

Jacob purses his lips. He seems to be thinking about your sitaution when a dwarven serving wench arrives at your table. "What can I get ye? Kin I suggest a pint of our ale?"

"I'll have whatever wine you might have. I doubt you've any elvish spirits."

The waitress looks at Jacob as if he is from another planet. "We got ale. This ain't no fine establishment, sir."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius put in-

''Well, as much as I'd like to thank him for warning us- we need to move on1 Our mission has been neglected for too long.. I say we go back down south and try to recover the trail of the missing operatives and the artifacts. Kartkass is a long way, so perhaps we'd best get underwary immediately. ''
The dwarf produces a contineetal map and lays it down flat on the ground.

''I say we get on another ship and sail down the coast to Mordentshire. That's as far as any ship will sail, for the Mists lie thick off the southern coasts. From Mordentshire we can ride down the south road through the whole length of Valachan, till we turn east at Rotwald. The roads will lead us in the heart of Sithicus. There are passable roads into Kartakass once you get to Har-Thelen. It's not the most direct route, but it has the virtue of taking us around Falkovnia-which is no place for a group like ours to travel. ''

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius looks at the map over Cornelius's shoulder and says.

"hmm, really, Valachan does not look like an interesting place to me. Bu then, what on this earth does... I'd like to stay close to civilized areas. Do you think it would be possible to go through Invidia and avoid Barovia? Anyone knows when is their festival?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Yes, I suppose we could go that route. Although...I've heard many rumors of war and brigandage in Invidia. I'm not certain it's any safer than Valachan. ''

The dwarf re-examines his map.

''Maybe we can go by sea to Mordent and then corss into Richemulot and try to catch one of those new-fangled dragonbaots going up the Musarde- it'sfar too slow trying to fight the cuerrent all the way south in an ordinary boat. Let me see if I have notes indicating how far up the river those vessels actually go...''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Ah yes, we may be able to take a river-route down through Richemulot, Invidia, and Sithicus.''

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Excellent then! I always thought I'd like to visit Richemulot. Can I surmise from your words that we will not have to go through Borca either? That would be even another plus!"

Lucius leans a bit more over the dwarf's should.

"Erm... forget what I said. Between Borca and Verbrek, I really don't know what I'd prefer. I've heard some disturbing reports regarding both, from my university colleagues."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius points towards Verbrek on the map and nods grimly,

''No contest. I'd rather deal with the wolves down in Verbrek than excisemen of Borca, any day. The Borcan tax collectors will steal the shirt off your back, the coins from your purse, and the hair off your dog! At least the wolf-men we can fight with magic and silver. The taxmen....gah! So much as raise your voice with one and he'll bring out reams and reams of paperwork, and call the watch on you for good measure. Borcan gaols...ugh, no thank you.''