Blaustein!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Wolfman
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Blaustein!

Post by The Wolfman »

Oh, and one other thought:

A Bermuda triangle, as either an element of Blaustein or a small, adjacent Domain. And maybe a ghost ship pocket domain (isn't there one already?).
My gaming blog, including my Ravenloft stuff: http://wolf-were.dreamwidth.org
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Wolfman wrote:A Bermuda triangle, as either an element of Blaustein or a small, adjacent Domain.
A Bermuda Triangle might be difficult to differentiate from the rest of Ravenloft seas. What with the tendency of ships to be picked up by the Mists from time to time, who'd notice? :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Germaine wrote:First of all, has anyone here ever seen Catherine Breillat's film version of Bluebeard? While I'm not sure how well it fits with the Darklords version, it presents an interesting take on the character, and what I feel is the only remotely sympathetic portrait of him that I've ever encountered. Here, he seems to be a very wealthy and not-so-handsome nobleman who had the potential to be decent, but has suffered so much disappointment, rejection, and betrayal throughout his life that he is thoroughly insecure and paranoid, unable to fully trust even those he truly cares for or who may care for him. Much more "Gothic", I think, than simply a misogynistic control freak.
I'm the one writing the Blaustein part for the Frat's SoS Report. I think you'll like what I wrote on Bluebeard.
Also, on the subject of the land and its mysteries, no one has apparently mentioned the mysterious and infamous rare gemstones ( from a Kargatane BoS article, I believe) that allegedly give the domain its name. I think they could be an intriguing Dread Possibility, at the very least.
You'll see this interesting adventure hook expanded in my text :)
By the way, while there is no official "appearnce date" for Blaustein, and 697 would be an interesting little shoutout, the pre-GC Darklords does indeed mention Bluebeard being in Ravenloft for "a century"- thus placing, I should think, Blaustein's formation in the early to mid- 630s- most likely at or around the appearance of the SoS in 630.
I finally have it set in 643.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

So, any word on when the SoS report will be done?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord_Pruitt wrote:So, any word on when the SoS report will be done?
Well, I don't want to make any promises we can't keep, but I can say that the majority of the domains are pretty much done, and the remaining few are being actively worked on. So... soon? maybe?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Wolfman
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wolfman »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Lord_Pruitt wrote:So, any word on when the SoS report will be done?
Well, I don't want to make any promises we can't keep, but I can say that the majority of the domains are pretty much done, and the remaining few are being actively worked on. So... soon? maybe?
I've enjoyed the previous gazetteers y'all have done. But. Um. I'd like to volunteer as an editor, if you're looking for one.
Joël of the FoS

And we will be looking soon for illustrators.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Wolfman wrote:I've enjoyed the previous gazetteers y'all have done. But. Um. I'd like to volunteer as an editor, if you're looking for one.
The feedback has been noted and we will be going over this one with a fine-tooth comb. I wasn't involved in the previous ones, but I'm quite the nit-picker, so hopefully you will see less typos and such in this and future netbooks. I don't think we're looking for outside editors at the moment, but if that changes, I'll keep you in mind.
The Wolfman
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wolfman »

Fewer typos.

Sorry. I know I'm being a jerk here. The blood of editors flows through my veins.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Wolfman wrote:Fewer typos.

Sorry. I know I'm being a jerk here. The blood of editors flows through my veins.
HAHAHA!! That's what I get for posting quickly. :oops: I edited that post a few times and obviously didn't look too carefully at it after I was done. I will endeavor not to make the same mistake in the netbook.

ETA: Though I did say less (i.e. fewer) and not none. ;)
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Illustrators, you say? Really??

Might be interested in (doing) that too.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Feedback ....

It is at least debatable as to whether the words "hell" and "hellish" should have any meaning in the Land of Mists. Perhaps they should be avoided.

My map isn't at hand ... but does Valachan have any sea coast whatsoever?

The word "exit" seems to be missing after the word "emergency" on page 66 of QoR.

I disagree with the idea of allowing Bluebeard to visit other lands or more precisely to escape, however temporarily, his own domain. If we exclude the Phantom Lover, and a case has been made that he should be demoted from darklord status, no other darklord comes to mind as regularly, be it days or centuries, being able to leave his or her land. It is antithetical to the very architecture of Ravenloft. That being said, allowing Bluebeard to quit land and sail some distance from Blaustein is no problem at all. And if one wants more than that, there are alternatives. One would be that the borders of Blaustein gradually creep ever further into the Sea of Sorrows in the interims between the death of a bride and the marriage of a new one, only to be returned to their initial size with the marriage of said new one. Another would be that at precise times he can roam the sea at large, but cannot step onto the land of any other darklord. More radical, would be the idea that he can spawn an avatar, or better, an avatar in dream, with the additional ability of confusing reality and dream in the mind of the victim. Hence, he can charm future brides in person ... at a distance .... His manservant could even be on hand to take delivery of them for a lord who had to rush away for some reason or other .... Perhaps a question of custom/tradition even ....
The cure for what ails you
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

cure wrote:It is at least debatable as to whether the words "hell" and "hellish" should have any meaning in the Land of Mists. Perhaps they should be avoided.
There is a "Hell of Slaves" in Lawgiver mythology.
My map isn't at hand ... but does Valachan have any sea coast whatsoever?
We've discussed this before when talking about Valachan: "The Red Box map shows one, but the RL3E map shows only the mists bordering Valachan, with the Sea of Sorrows stopping in Mordent. The Domains of Dread map shows the Sea ending right at the border of Mordent and Valachan." So it once had a sea coast, but not any more. Seems the mist is creeping up the coast.
I disagree with the idea of allowing Bluebeard to visit other lands or more precisely to escape, however temporarily, his own domain.
There was was some debate on this one, since it was known that it would be controversial. (I was against it at first too). Ultimately, the established storyline trumped a rigid adherence to the rules. It's known that he "leaves" to tempt his new brides. Skulking about the tiny island seemed out of character. Circling the island on a boat seemed pointless. He needed somewhere to go, even for a little while, and making it so limited in frequency and duration made him retain a trapped feeling. If you're looking for precedent beyond the Phantom Lover, look to the Nightmare Court or the House of Lament. It's sort of a like a temporary pocket domain. Or if you still don't like it, ignore it. :)
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Or if you still don't like it, ignore it. :)
Indeed. Since there are as much people who like it than people who dislike it, and good reasons to allow it (mainly a background story point, as Ron said), and strict canonical reasons to forbid it, I will put it as an option in the final version.

But I think this is fairly limited in time (once a year, and for a maximum period of three days, including the day spent to boat to the coast) and space (I will add a "can travel on the core within a mile maximum from the coast", à la Timothy, or he is summoned back by the specters sooner).

I will also add that this curse supercede any domain closure, should he found himself in a domain with closed borders after three days. Yes, another canonical totem going down.

Still, I'm a bit amazed at the resistance against this very limited power, that BB mostly never uses to reach the coast. He mostly uses it to sail away on the SoS, while he angerly check if the key gets bloodied.

Joël
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
cure wrote:It is at least debatable as to whether the words "hell" and "hellish" should have any meaning in the Land of Mists. Perhaps they should be avoided.
There is a "Hell of Slaves" in Lawgiver mythology.
In game, it is somewhat unlikely that a Vassi term for their underworld/afterlife would be common currency on the other side of the Land of Mists. Out of game, it is both an atmospheric question and one of encouraging a measure of detachment from standard prior to 4ed WoC theologico-cosmology. It is of course an optional matter.
IThere was was some debate on this one, since it was known that it would be controversial. (I was against it at first too). Ultimately, the established storyline trumped a rigid adherence to the rules. It's known that he "leaves" to tempt his new brides. Skulking about the tiny island seemed out of character. Circling the island on a boat seemed pointless. He needed somewhere to go, even for a little while, and making it so limited in frequency and duration made him retain a trapped feeling. If you're looking for precedent beyond the Phantom Lover, look to the Nightmare Court or the House of Lament. It's sort of a like a temporary pocket domain. Or if you still don't like it, ignore it. :)
In the case of the Nightmare Court, as I perhaps incorrectly recall, the dreamer is dragged while dreaming into their realm. In the case of the House of Lament, the House does not take leave of itself. Or in other terms, mobile pocket domains are not comparable to a darklord walking out of his or her immobile domain.

By the way, are the Teeth of X listed in official sources as being held in the University of Dementlieu? This is a somewhat strange final destination for a religious relic of quite recent vintage. The cracked glass reference in respect to them also seemed somewhat mystifying (or at least I didn't get it).

Fiinally, I am not sure whether there is a slight incongruity or not between the two references to Ghastria. In the last sentence it is described as the next destination, while early it is referred to in a way as to suggest that it had already been visited (or at least was well known).
The cure for what ails you