Finding the Path to Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Finding the Path to Ravenloft?

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I had the opportunity to view some of the new Pathfinder material today, and to be honest, I loved it! Class features for every character, more choice options for everyone ... I think Pathfinder is a good way to go, now that 3.5 has ended, especially for those people who are opposed to 4E for whatever reason.

In fact, when the final sourcebooks are out, I wouldn't mind building a campaign based on them, be it either with my Friday night group or here on the forum. Does anyone see terrible, prohibitive reasons why Pathfinder couldn't be combined with Ravenloft?
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

Actually, I'm planning on doing just that in the new year with my group, as I think that Pathfinder fits Ravenloft's feel and theme a lot better than 4th Edition, which plays out too much like a hack n' slash action game to my liking. Pathfinder, even in Beta, looks like it will be a better system to run and support, from my point of view, than 4th Edition in the respective directions each are taking. I know 4th edition appeals to several people here on this board, but from what I've experienced in the games I've run, it tends to be extremely cut and paste for everything outside of combat, something that really doesn't appeal to my style of DMing. Pathfinder, however, maintains most of 3/3.5's strengths, and as my group and I enjoyed playing 3.5 for 4 years on now, I see no reason why Pathfinder won't work as well.

Long story short... no, I see no reason why Pathfinder can't be used as a system to run Ravenloft. Publishing your conversions, however... I'm not certain of Paizo's fan policy, though it shouldn't be too stringent unless you're taking something they made specifically for Golarion (don't hold me to that, though!)
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

DS, I don't think that paizo minds if anyone converts Ravenloft material to Pathfinder rules. Isn't Pathfinder OGL ? The problem with publishing conversions normally is with the owner of the stuff to be converted.

PS: Why do you not continue playing 3.5 ?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well ... it allows for greater customization and choice in shaping your characters, from what I've seen. While reading the beta playtest, I thought to myself: 'These people have actually managed to make a Sorcerer class which is playable and fun.' All the classes get a significant set of improvements and choices, and some of my fellow gamers quite loved the new things.

In short: it seems like great fun and cancels out some of the drawbacks of 3.5 without obliging you to go to a wholly new system of gameplay. ^^
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

We've discussed PF here in the past, and I gave my preliminary review here:

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Foru ... php?t=5016

In brief, I like it a lot, and if I were to start a new campaign (RL or otherwise) it's the edition I would use.

It's pretty much what I wanted out of 4th and didn't find. Not a radical new system, but a well-thought out revision that builds on the strengths of 3e.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I've an extreme love/hate with Pathfinder. I was really hard on the idea until I saw the atrocious mess that was 4e, then I saw it as a passable way of playing 3e with updates and revisions, albeit paying for the books a third time.
I'm still iffy as it doesn't do much to fix some of the most broken elements of 3e such as gross monsters and the abstractness of the CR system.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:I've an extreme love/hate with Pathfinder. I was really hard on the idea until I saw the atrocious mess that was 4e, then I saw it as a passable way of playing 3e with updates and revisions, albeit paying for the books a third time.
For the kind of improvements I've already seen in the Beta Playtest book, I'm willing to hand out the cash. I've paid for sourcebooks in the past that I wound up liking a lot less.
Jester of the FpS wrote:I'm still iffy as it doesn't do much to fix some of the most broken elements of 3e such as gross monsters and the abstractness of the CR system.
Well, the finished version isn't out yet. You could still head on over to the Paizo forums and make your opinion heard, maybe get some strong support. It'd push back the publication of the finished books if Paizo does decide to overhaul the CR system, but it might be worth it.
gonzoron wrote:In brief, I like it a lot, and if I were to start a new campaign (RL or otherwise) it's the edition I would use.

It's pretty much what I wanted out of 4th and didn't find. Not a radical new system, but a well-thought out revision that builds on the strengths of 3e.
Hey, if you start one, let me know. I'm looking forward to a chance to try out the revised Sorcerer class!
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

The Giamarga wrote:DS, I don't think that paizo minds if anyone converts Ravenloft material to Pathfinder rules. Isn't Pathfinder OGL ? The problem with publishing conversions normally is with the owner of the stuff to be converted.
I was pretty certain that's the case, but not 100%... hadn't actually read if Pathfinder was OGL or not. If so, there shouldn't be any problems at all
The Giamarga wrote:PS: Why do you not continue playing 3.5 ?
Well... why do people buy up other systems at all? To try something different. That's why we tried 4E, and Fireborn... even Masque of Red Death is trying something different. Pathfinder seems like it's a good system, but you don't really get a feel for the game unless you play it, right?
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

DasSoviet wrote:
The Giamarga wrote:DS, I don't think that paizo minds if anyone converts Ravenloft material to Pathfinder rules. Isn't Pathfinder OGL ? The problem with publishing conversions normally is with the owner of the stuff to be converted.
I was pretty certain that's the case, but not 100%... hadn't actually read if Pathfinder was OGL or not. If so, there shouldn't be any problems at all
It will be. PFRPG will be the basis of the new OGL. ;)

I've been using PFRPG Beta in my current Greyhawk campaign (Age of Worms) and both I and my players are truly enjoying it. I think a Ravenloft adaptation would be simply great... Dread sorcerer bloodlines... :twisted:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Heh, I just remembered: monkeys. The Pathfinder system allows you to take monkeys as your familiar ... I can foresee someone, somewhere, gearing up to be a Sorcerer wearing pirate garb and calling their familiar 'Jack' right now.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I just checked the Bloodlines rules and as you said, it actually makes the sorcerer interesting as a class and even more so in Ravenloft!!!!
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Hello,

My current campaign (Miranda Cornelius' journal in the campaign section) will very likely take a PFRPG turn when the PCs change from level 4 to 5. I will try to inform the boards on our changes... See what works for RL and what doesn't.

I really like where PFRPG in general is going.

More later...

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Paladyn »

Half of my group finished conversion to Pathfinder beta rules and everybody is excited. The other half has to show up on session and reshape/create characters. As for myself, I fell in love with this system. Where I could not worm through WotC text, Paizo's read as adventurous novel.. I think, I became fan of rules, so it's time to discover new world. If I'm to run new RL campaign, I'd definitely use Pathfinder.
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Rock wrote:Heh, I just remembered: monkeys. The Pathfinder system allows you to take monkeys as your familiar ... I can foresee someone, somewhere, gearing up to be a Sorcerer wearing pirate garb and calling their familiar 'Jack' right now.
Well a cross-classed wizard/black-powder avenger gets his powder monkey at last . . .
The cure for what ails you