Christian Children’s Fund Refuses Charity Tainted by D&D

Books, movies, television and everything else
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Christian Children’s Fund Refuses Charity Tainted by D&D

Post by Jester of the FoS »

http://www.purplepawn.com/2008/10/chris ... ted-by-dd/
The Gen Con Live Auction last August was originally supposed to be sponsored by the Children’s Christian Fund, the favorite charity of Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons. It’s safe to assume that Gary probably donated a fair amount to the charity, himself.

So it’s rather unfortunate to read that CCF withdrew from sponsoring the auction, and therefore the receiving of the proceeds, when they discovered that some of the items to be sold were D&D material. I prefer to think of it as vast ignorance rather than vast stupidity, but I’m waiting to hear a response from CCF.

The proceeds instead went to the Fisher House Foundation.
What the eff?!
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

The Dark Powers laugh evilly.
The cure for what ails you
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Paladyn »

Well this is a case of fundamentalism, and mental backwardness.
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

You can conflate the two phrases if you're up for some cunning linguistics.

Let's try it.

"Fundamentalbackwardismness".

It may require some finessing though.
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

You should print that one on a bumper sticker. :D
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

That's just sad. :?
But at least the money was able to benefit another worthwhile charity.

BTW, love the bumper sticker idea. :lol:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

That is very sad. I find it sooo frustrating, the incorrect view of "people who play D&D." I am a devout Christian, and I find D&D to be a great way of hanging out on a Saturday night with friends (who are a fine mix of religions, including a Pagan) and socializing rather than sitting in front of the bloody tv. It's cooperative storytelling, and far better for you than bar-hopping! :)
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

And unlike bar hopping, you can do it when your drunk!

?!?

Wait I may have gotten that wrong... :?
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

"I'm sorry. I just love my country, and I fear for it."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

FWIW, this was announced on the Giant in the Playground website some months ago, after Order of the Stick webcomic artist Rich Burlew looked into the matter:
11/5/2008

The story I relayed in my last News post has provoked quite a reaction from the gaming world. I've gotten a few hundred responses to my own email box—many of them cc's of emails sent to the charity or responses received from them. According to one source, CCF (the charity discussed last time) has been swamped with over 1200 emails on the subject. As a result of this intense public interest, the details of what really happened have been coming to light...and while not everything lines up, it now seems that CCF did not knowingly refuse the charity money raised at GenCon 2008, as was originally reported. Jeannette LeGault, GenCon's Director of Events, has issued a statement on their forums regarding what happened. I'm going to pull the most relevant part of it out here:
"Gen Con contacted CCF about our intentions and asked for a logo and some promotional materials that we could use on our website. We were informed by a person at CCF that they would not be able to provide us with these materials, apparently due to our association with D&D. We were not comfortable with this position, considering Gary’s role as co-founder of D&D, and founder of Gen Con, and therefore we decided to pick a different charity...We later found out that we had been misinformed as to CCF’s position in regards to D&D and Gen Con, but by then we had already chosen Fisher House as our charity."

CCF itself has been sending out a canned response to this controversy; here's the important part:
"When Gen Con contacted CCF about its auction, we were pleased to accept donations. However, we couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements. We were unaware that this had caused any problem or concern for Gen Con until we began receiving emails. This decision was in no way intended to be a reflection on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeon and Dragons. We have the utmost respect for the gaming community and were touched by the generosity expressed through your auction."

These statements are slightly at odds with one another; GenCon says that they were simply misinformed as to CCF's position, but CCF themselves claim that they have "specific criteria" for endorsements that GenCon apparently did not meet. What criteria are those? Unknown. Would they still be in effect for, say, next year's GenCon auction? Again, unknown. And CCF does not acknowledge that someone on their end did tell GenCon that it was a no-go at one point. But if I had to parse these statements together, I think someone at CCF "went rogue" when GenCon first contacted them and followed their personal philosophical belief over that of their organization...and that CCF's public relations department is trying to make the best of it without admitting that one of their people blew it in the first place. I also think it is highly probable that whoever updated the website for Live Game Auctions (the people who run the charity for GenCon) with the initial statement that started this story may well have never heard about CCF's retraction of their initial position.

But if you were one of the people who wrote a scathing email, rest assured that it did not go in vain: One intrepid reader forwarded me an email they received from Ms. LeGault that says she has been in direct touch with the communications director of CCF and that they have informed her that they are readdressing the way they handle requests for their publicity materials to avoid further misunderstandings. Any change that helps a charity organization become more efficient and more open to donations is a worthwhile change, even if we had to clog a few email servers to do it. I'd also bet money that whoever issued the initial denial of GenCon's request is out of a job, and rightfully so. One can hope that this situation will cause all of the organization's employees to think twice before putting their own beliefs ahead of their goal of helping children. It's my further hope that if this really was simply a case of miscommunication, GenCon 2009 will be able to feature the charity auction for CCF that was originally intended, and that those attending are able to raise more than last year's $17,000.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So... what was all this about?

PS. This is the 5001 post in the dark beyond. I was the one that broke the 5000 posts symmetry.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
philipsteele
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Christian Children’s Fund Refuses Charity Tainted by D&D

Post by philipsteele »

hello there

Children's are the best future contribution of every country, according to some researches they says that around 15 million children living in poverty..so everyone should need to donate something for a better going charity like Children’s Defense Fund..save the children's future,their educational and other primary needs. Last week i have planned to buy custom essays online due to my lack of academic writing skills.. :idea:
Last edited by philipsteele on Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Tell that to the guys that withdrew their support because of our evil ways. I still can't believe that the majority of leaders of a charity organization thought that D&D is evil.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Ah, ignorance at its finest. The CCF never fails amaze me at how dogmatic and bigoted it can be. But like the so-called "Moral Majority" these people are fighting against the mainstream and are losing. The last time I heard anyone make a stink about D&D being "evil" was back in the Eighties. How long has society had to accept tabletop RPGs as mainstream? 30 years? If this isn't the CFF blowing both feet off with a shotgun in the proverbial sense, I don't know what is.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

It's madd I tell you... MADD!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Reading things like that level of ignorance usually makes me face palm and then I head on my merry way. There are no changing some people after a lifetime of being told what it good and what is bad :(
Swallow your soul!