The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Eye of the Jackal's Ruse, Sebua
July 16th, 761, 4:07 AM; Day 121 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Charles flanks the Mohrg and does not hurt it.
Khalil deals 53 damage to Salt Mummy Two.
Lia sleeps the dreamless sleep of the horribly energy drained.
Kuzan heals Khalil for 55 HP and Ishaq for 44, and damages both Salt Mummies for 44 HP, killing one. So that's why we keep him around!
Tomas learns more of the joys of Exhaustion.
Andre finishes off the rabid Vampire-Bat.
Otto hits the Mohrg for 11 damage.

There is something to be said for the sudden arrival of the cavalry in a tense situation. In one, brief moment, the entire course of the battle was changed. Where before things had looked grim, very grim, now the battle became a rout.

A wave of positive energy and a considerable quantity of swords tipped the balance against the salt mummies, bringing Ishaq and Khalil to their strength and bringing the saline undead to their feet. The Mohrg became the center of a virtual hurricane of bullets and gunfire, and if most of the small bits of lead bounced harmlessly off the undead's bones, not all did. When Ianthe put a bullet through its skull, it stopped moving. The paralytic tongue flopped around a bit more, but this didn't seem to bother the monk too much.

Suddenly, the air was pierced by a high, keening wail, and you looked over as Jervis finished off the Bodak, sliding his sword out of the undead's pierced ribcage. The mercenary was covered in wounds, bleeding for a gash in his scalp and favoring one leg as he walked, but there was a fierce light in his eyes. Elbow-deep in blood and other, less identifiable-fluids, Jervis gazed around the battlefield, and finding no other threats, drew a short, thick hunting knife from his belt.

Dropping to his knees, Jervis began to skin the Bodak.

===============================================

And that, as they say, was that. Gazing out at the desolate Jackal's Ruse, it occurred to you that you had come, and with blood, magic, and fire had cleansed Cavendish's presence from the Ruse. Though whether the Ruse would even notice was another question altogether. It was still a dead place, inhabited only by the dead and the monks. Would one necromancer more or less make any difference?

A bit of sunlight peeped over the horizon, a beam of light extending over the wreckage of the Ruse, casting long shadows like the bars of a cage. The light fell on the burned-out runes of Cavendish's ward, and whatever... visions it had contained. It did make a difference.

You did make a difference.

And that is a wrap, to the fight and to the Book! 4,000 XP all around, which should make people a bit happier. Unless I am mistaken, this puts Otto, Khalil, Tomas, and Andre over the threshold for levelling.

Also, in case anyone wants to get stuff from Kuzan, I'll allow it in the inter-book period, just so long as you don't expect me to explain it.

So, wrap up, bear in mind there's still some undead around, and I'll open Book Eight later today when you head inside the Monastery of Stilled Nightmares.

NPC Actions:
Dieter: Shoots the Mohrg. Hits. Deals 8 damage.
Ianthe: Shoots the Mohrg. Hits. Deals 17 damage.
Devereux does some more Cowering.
Jervis full-attacks the Bodak. Kills it and promptly decapitates it.
Ishaq full-attacks Salt Mummy 2. Hits once, deals 24 damage to it.

Monks make a run for it.

Salt Mummy 1: Gets overwhelmed and murdered.
Salt Mummy 2: Gets overwhelmed and murdered.
Mohrg: Realizes its all alone and makes a break for it.
Bodak: Gets its head cut off.

Vampire Bat: Finally gets overwhelmed by positive energy.

Monastery attacks the mohrg 4 times. Hits once, deals 10 damage. Kills it.
Monastery attacks the remaining salt mummy 4 times. Hits once, deals 6 damage. Kills it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All PCs/NPC Overview: Mass Conviction (+3 Saves), Mass Aid (+1 to Attacks, Fear, +12 Temp HP), Blessed Aim (+2 to Ranged Attack Rolls), Undead Bane Bullets (+2d6 damage, +2 to attack)
Kuzan: +12 Temp HP, Magic Circle (+2 to AC and Saves), Cloak of Bravery (+9 vs. Fear), Death Ward
Tomas: -37 HP, Exhausted, Mass Fly,
Otto: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP,
Charles: Mass Fly, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves), Hide from Undead (DC 16), Invisibility, +12 Temp HP
Lia: Stable at -4 HP. (Total HP -25 from Negative Levels), Mage Armor (+4 AC), Shield (+4 AC), Mass Fly, Five Negative Level
Khalil: -12 HP, Mass Fly, Silversheen, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves),
Andre: Mass Fly, +17 Temp HP (Total HP -5 from Negative Levels), Greater Invisibility, Hide from Undead (DC 16) One Negative Level

Ishaq: -43 HP, Mass Fly
Jervis: -60, Mass Fly, Silversheen, Two Negative Level
Ianthe: +12 Temp HP,
Dieter: +12 Temp HP,
Devereux: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

The rain washed Andre back into the world. Where once there had been a gap where a person would've been, but wasn't..now..now there was backdrop being washed away, replaced by a rather tired looking university professor.

Andre looked down, and saw Lia laying on the ground, still breathing but only due to magic's power. Gently coming to rest on the ground near her, Andre began to pray, resting a hand gently on her masked brow.

"Could've gone better, couldn't it?" Andre asked, a faint smile on his face. "Course, neither of us are dead, Cavendish' plan suffered a massive setback, and there's no longer a Bodak blocking the way to the monastery thanks to Jervis. "

OOC:Cure Moderate wounds for 14 hp restored to Lia
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Under Andre's touch, Lia's breathing grows deeper, stronger, and evens out ... moments before it turns into a wracking cough. The first thing the Wizard does when waking up is reach to her face, fingers scrabbling at the mask. Once she's certain it is in place, Lia lets out a raw sigh.

"I feel," she rasps, "like vomiting out my lungs. And then crawling into a hole and dying. Help me up, please. I feel ... weak. Muddled." The Wizard reaches out a hand to Andre, and it is visibly swaying.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Yeah." Tomas drunkenly points a finger at the monastery-destroyed monster. "You just think twice before you come up at me...!"

"Can we be done now?" Tomas falls to a knee, the brief exaltation making him realize just how sweaty he happens to be.