The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Online roleplaying at the Café
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre muttered a curse in Pharazian. It roughly translated as Prophet scorn you for improper relations with your mother and a goat. It could be considered a severe misuse of his linguistic prowess, but in situations like this, he could be forgiven.

A quick move back out of the thing's range, and with "Stoirm Naofa " leaving his lips, Andre called down the rain.

Loosing a dispel magic to the negative level, 5 foot stepping back one square, and calling down a holy storm centered on C5, lower right corner. 10 damage to start the rumpus.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Eye of the Jackal's Ruse, Sebua
July 16th, 761, 4:07 AM; Day 121 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Charles has fun with wanton door destruction.
Khalil attacks the Salt Mummy 1 and Bodak, misses the SM, doesn't penetrate Bodak's DR.
Lia sleeps the dreamless sleep of the horribly energy drained.
Kuzan helps load the cannon.
Tomas takes the long way around.
Andre casts a Holy Storm on the Vampire.
Otto fires the cannon, strikes a blow for fashion designers everywhere.

Whistler wrote:The necromancer's garish hammock exploded in a shower of woodchips and clashing fabric swatches. The gunsmith's frustration was mitigated somewhat.
"Now that's just not cricket..." Cavendish chided disapprovingly. The Necromancer shrugged a little. "Schrodinger, my things if you please, and let's depart and leave these Philistines to their fate."

The great cat swooped by, snatching the coat, hat, and black doctor's bag from the nearby ruins of the hammock. The three large Smilers crowded around Cavendish, who waved a cheery little goodbye to you as the salt mummies charged Khalil and tried to rip his heart out.

"I'll see you all in Muhar! Shagh Vetra." Cavendish grinned at you. Dark wisps of smoke and night formed around the Necromancer and his cohort, shrouding them in darkness. "Have a safe journey! I'll be very disappointed if I don't get to torture one of you to death at the end of this."

And with that, he was gone.

===============================================

The Bodak, Salt Mummies, and Mohrg, however, were not gone. As a matter of fact, even as the monks huddled in their little enclosure, they approached. On the whole, the monks did not look good. They were undernourished, anemic, and exhausted. In their prime, they might have been like Ianthe, but weeks of hellish captivity had taken their toll.
Lostboy wrote:"Whatever those are" Khalil punctuates his speech with a scimitar thrust in the direction of the faceless dead and its compatriots "they are not friendly, and they will cut off our escape before we can get there. Anyone with a gun care to do some damage, or distract them in some other permananent way?"
"I can do permanent." Jervis said mildly, drawing his blade and gauging the relative threat levels of the various undead. Something about the grey-skinned creature's quiet confidence made it seem more of a threat than its brethren, and so before you could so much as say a word, the mercenary was off, swinging his sword over his head like one of the Forfarian berserkers of old. The bodak was prepared for many things in its unlife. Jervis was not one of those things.

The two salt mummies veered off, lumbering towards Khalil, even as Ishaq joined his companion. It was gearing to be a classic brawl over there, with much swinging of heavy blows and heavy swords, and the odd half-dozen slashes of the scimitar.

But one undead was not so easily distracted. The skeletal mohrg, its hollow eye sockets blazing, ignored the plight of its companions. No... it saw the juicy mass of humanity, unguarded, undefended, and ripe for the taking. The skeleton's sharp claws scrabbled over sand and rock, and the long, prehensile tongue swayed in the air like a hungry serpent.

NPC Actions:
Dieter: Loads the cannon
Ianthe: Loads the cannon
Devereux scurries for safety.
Jervis charges the Bodak. Hits once, deals 28-10=18 damage.
Ishaq moves adjacent to Khalil, to help out against the inevitable charge of dead people.

Monks

Devourer attempts to take control of a Black Knight, doesn't pierce the blood-lust.

Zombies flail about, insufficient damage to penetrate DR.

Smiler 1: [See Schrodinger]
Smiler 3: Full attacks Black Knight 4, hits twice for 29-20=9 damage.
Smiler 4: [See Grosvenor]

Black Knight 3 (Swords): Feasts on the Bloodhulk's remains.
Black Knight 4 (Axe): Feasts on the Bloodhulk's remains.
Black Knight 7 (Claws): Attacks Andre, fails on Miss-Chance.

Zombies flail about.

Salt Mummy 1: Moves to Khalil, attacks, misses.
Salt Mummy 2: Charges Ishaq, hits, deals 21 damage.
Mohrg: Double-moves towards the juicy victims.
Necromental Invisible Stalker: Who knows? It's invisible!
Bodak: Turns it's Death Gaze onto Jervis. Jervis saves.

Monastery attacks the lead mummy 8 times. Hits six more times. Deals 41 damage

Cavendish disappears.

-Schrodinger snags Cavvy's black bag, then returns and disappears.
-Grosvenor moves towards Cavvy, disappears.
-Chesterton moves towards Cavvy, disappears.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All PCs/NPC Overview: Mass Conviction (+3 Saves), Mass Aid (+1 to Attacks, Fear, +12 Temp HP), Blessed Aim (+2 to Ranged Attack Rolls), Undead Bane Bullets (+2d6 damage, +2 to attack)
Kuzan: +12 Temp HP, Magic Circle (+2 to AC and Saves), Cloak of Bravery (+9 vs. Fear), Death Ward
Tomas: -37 HP, Exhausted, Mass Fly,
Otto: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP,
Charles: Mass Fly, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves), Hide from Undead (DC 16), Invisibility, +12 Temp HP
Lia: Stable at -4 HP. (Total HP -25 from Negative Levels), Mage Armor (+4 AC), Shield (+4 AC), Mass Fly, Five Negative Level
Khalil: -43 HP, Mass Fly, Silversheen, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves),
Andre: Mass Fly, +17 Temp HP (Total HP -5 from Negative Levels), Greater Invisibility, Hide from Undead (DC 16) One Negative Level

Ishaq: -67 HP, Mass Fly
Jervis: -60, Mass Fly, Silversheen, Two Negative Level
Ianthe: +12 Temp HP,
Dieter: +12 Temp HP,
Devereux: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP

Devourer:

Zombies: No one cares.

Smiler 2: Dead
Smiler 3: Dominated by the Devourer
Smiler 4: [See Grosvenor, below]

Black Knight 1: Dead
Black Knight 2: Dead
Black Knight 3: -30+5=-25, Out-of-control, feasting on Bloodhulk remains.
Black Knight 4: -53+5=-48, Out-of-control, feasting on Bloodhulk remains.
Black Knight 5: Dead
Black Knight 6: Dead
Black Knight 7: -81+5=-76, Out-of-control, Dire-Bat Form
Black Knight 8: Dead
All Knights heal 5 HP.

Zombies
1 Dot Zombie: -23 HP
Reddish Zombies: Controlled by the Devourer

Salt Mummy 1: -85+10=-75 HP
Salt Mummy 2:
Mohrg:
Necromental Invisible Stalker:
Bodak: -18 HP.
Salt Mummies heal 10 HP (Should've remembered this last round. Oh well, my loss, your gain)

Cavendish: +22 Temp HP, Gone.

Schrodinger: Cat Form, Gone.
Grosvenor: -9 HP, Gone.
Chesterton: -82 HP, Gone.

Key! Going from the top, roughly:
Lower K - Kuzan
T - Tomas
O - Otto
C = Charles
L = Lia
Upper K = Khalil
A = Andre
Red I = Ishaq
J = Jervis
Green I = Ianthe
D = Dieter

S = Smiler
BK = Black Knight
Blue Dot = Cavendish Zombies

D = Devourer
BG = Blood Giant
Z = Devourer Zombies

B = Bodak
SM = Salt Mummies
D = Drowned
M = Mohrg

Portrait = Cavendish
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

The monks are (understandably) not very quick to react to their newly-won freedom, and Charles is reminded, yet again, that one doesn't necessarily anticipate all the consequences of invisibility when one begins this sort of project.

And now that he's back on his feet, there's something truly, truly hideous coming towards him...them. A skeleton with guts and a tongue.

Where do these necromancers come up with these ideas? Charles wonders, as he grabs for his daggers and prepares to sell his life dearly. Wait for it...wait...now!

The bracers on his arms tense as three knives spin in the pre-dawn air, two clinking against bone and the third plunging to the hilt in viscera.

Attacks 15, 16, 20, one hit for 19 damage. Uh...help?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

"This is going to hurt" Khalil mutters as Ishaq joins him for the dead dismembering fun. Still his distraction had paid off somewhat and the monks were mostly safe, the rest of us on the otherhand......

Sucking a deep breath he avoids the cretaures first blow, ducking nimbly under its outstrecthed arm and delivers a blow to its midsection, a blow that glances harmlessly off the cratures salt encrusted skin. Bringing a second blade to bare he fliips in an acrobatic cartwheel past the creature and slams a second strike in its face, before dropping low and slashing at its knees.

[OOC: Dervishing P28 / P27 / O27

attackign the salt mummy 3 times
to hit: 15 / 23/ 20 (bloody dice roller!)
damage: 11 / 10 / 10 (incl +1 for Dervishing)
tumble check: 31

umm help too?]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas is on his knees, breathing weakly-he's not all that hurt, but he can't catch his breath again, damned magic, damn it all...

He looks up, weakly, and sees his friends under siege by animated horror. Weak or no, Tomas Eisenwald cannot sit there and do nothing while nightmare beasts try to devour the innocent. It'd look terrible on his TA feedback report! Tomas takes a long, shallow breath, and surges forward...

...making another massive flying jump! He kicks through the air, drawing his sword and buckling his shield...

...so that he's properly armed when he lands between Charles and the wicked tongue skeleton, a blast of sand covering the swordsman's gleaming weapons and armor for a second as Tomas forces himself to keep standing, looking defiantly at the creation of Cavendish's!

(OOC: I freaking hate exhaustion. It wouldn't be so bad if I could roll Con to shrug it off or something. Anyway, double move to J32, and proceeding to give the Mourg a funny look. You know the one. If, next round, it tries to slip past Tomas to charge Charles, I want to use my free five-foot step to cut it off, even if that gives it an AoO.)
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Why won't you just DIE already!? Or at least cease being animate? Andre asked internally, as he darted into range, calling up that imperceptible glow of life around his hand, and thrusting it towards the Vampire bat..but due to the unfortunate enervating nature of a Vampire's attacks, falling unkindly short of his mark.

Andre was rather glad no one could see that, or he'd never live it down. If he of course, lived.

OOC:Cure Moderate Wounds, miss the attack roll, so charge is still held.4 damage from the storm.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan squinted off in the distance and frowned. He grabbed the fuse and lit it, then called to the others. "Time to go! When we get there, shoot the black beast on Jervis or the skeleton with the tongue!"

After everyone linked hands, he spoke a single word and the party vanished...

...only to reappear instantly near Tomas, Charles, Ishaq, and Khalil.

"Khalil!" he shouted, "What are you doing?! Fall back! Fall back!"

Dimension door to M34.

Also, folks, as Kuzan mentioned, if you are really hurt and the healer doesn't seem to be able to get to you, for heaven's sake don't stay in melee full attack range. Get out so you can survive.
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Otto squinted with concern at the...yes, that was a very large amount of undead, and here he was with what was rapidly turning out to be a very useless artillery piece, and what could be (he realized, casting his eyes about the ship's deck for the first time in a good while) a very distracting amount of--

"Change plans."

The gunsmith pivoted over to the gunpowder kegs, pleasantly surprised to see that great minds thought alike; the fuse flared up quite nicely in the pre-dawn darkness.

"Kuzan: Need extrication for close-range combat support. Team teleport out and fly to harrying positions--stay close, stay in formation, stay on the offensive."

Just like they say about business, he thought as the fuse burned down. Always best to end your pitch with a bang. And it'd just be a pity to waste all this perfectly good gunpowder...

And as his context rapidly shifted, he had already calculated what his angle of attack would have to be, and was already putting out some firepower of his own...

OOC: After the teleport out, firing at the Mohrg, 21 to hit (forgot the Point Blank Shot +1 in my dice roll, Neo) with a flaming bullet, 21 damage total.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Eye of the Jackal's Ruse, Sebua
July 16th, 761, 4:07 AM; Day 121 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Charles hits a Mohrg for 19 damage.
Khalil hits the Salt Mummy twice for 20 damage
Lia sleeps the dreamless sleep of the horribly energy drained.
Kuzan teleports up.
Tomas double-moves up and glares at the Mohrg.
Andre whiffs completely.
Otto blows the gunpowder and.... misses the Mohrg.

Whistler wrote:Just like they say about business, he thought as the fuse burned down. Always best to end your pitch with a bang. And it'd just be a pity to waste all this perfectly good gunpowder...
There was a low, roar, and then as the Sri Rajian cleric teleported off the ship's deck, the entire world exploded. The fireball was immense, and as the adventurers reappeared in the sands of the blood-stained field, they fancied they saw a cloudy outline appear in the brilliant burst of flame, only to be burned away.

Destroy the skeleton. The barrage of gunfire turned onto the skeleton with the tongue, but bullets, even at their best, are not terribly effective against bone. The skeleton lurched forward, ignoring the snapping of ribs, and lashed forward with its snake-like tongue, lashing out at Tomas. Fort DC 17 or Paralyzed for 1 Minute

Elsewhere, Jervis was lashed out at the grey-skinned monstrosity with his sword, stabbing it once in the chest and then nearly taking off the Bodak's arm. In a roundabout way, you almost had to pity the undead. It gazed at Jervis, trying to intimate the fact, the very immediacy of his mortality, and what does Jervis do? He tries to hit it in the face with a spiked gauntlet. The Bodak fell back, and Jervis followed.

Unfortunately, the salt mummies were having more look. They lacked the unnaturally tough flesh of the more traditionally embalmed Ancient Dead, but they made up for it with vigor. And, as Ishaq and Khalil were fast learning, with blows that would fell an ox. Khalil is at -9 and Ishaq at 5 HP

NPC Actions:
Dieter: Shoots the Bodak. Hits, deals 14-10=4 damage.
Ianthe: Shoots the Mohrg. Rolls a 1 for attacks.
Devereux does some more Cowering.
Jervis full-attacks the Bodak. Hits twice for 46-20=26 damage.
Ishaq full-attacks Salt Mummy 2. Rolls a 3 and a 1 for attacks. Does not hit.

Monks

Salt Mummy 1: Whacks Khalil. Deals 24 damage.
Salt Mummy 2: Whacks Ishaq. Deals 20 damage.
Mohrg: Moves forward and hits Tomas with the Tongue. DC 17 or Paralyzed for 1 Minute.
Necromental Invisible Stalker: Gets blown sky-high by gunpowder. It's had a very bad day.
Bodak: attempts to Death Gaze Jervis. Jervis saves.

Vampire Bat: Has no idea where Andre is, so attacks an empty patch of air.

Monastery attacks the mohrg 8 times. Hits three times. Deals 31 damage.

In the interests of space and time for me, I've stopped considering the remaining undead (the Devourer and other Black Knights), since either way, they won't have an effect on the battle any more.

All PCs/NPC Overview: Mass Conviction (+3 Saves), Mass Aid (+1 to Attacks, Fear, +12 Temp HP), Blessed Aim (+2 to Ranged Attack Rolls), Undead Bane Bullets (+2d6 damage, +2 to attack)
Kuzan: +12 Temp HP, Magic Circle (+2 to AC and Saves), Cloak of Bravery (+9 vs. Fear), Death Ward
Tomas: -37 HP, Exhausted, Mass Fly,
Otto: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP,
Charles: Mass Fly, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves), Hide from Undead (DC 16), Invisibility, +12 Temp HP
Lia: Stable at -4 HP. (Total HP -25 from Negative Levels), Mage Armor (+4 AC), Shield (+4 AC), Mass Fly, Five Negative Level
Khalil: (Dying at -9 HP!!!) -67 HP, Mass Fly, Silversheen, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves),
Andre: Mass Fly, +17 Temp HP (Total HP -5 from Negative Levels), Greater Invisibility, Hide from Undead (DC 16) One Negative Level

Ishaq: -87 HP, Mass Fly
Jervis: -60, Mass Fly, Silversheen, Two Negative Level
Ianthe: +12 Temp HP,
Dieter: +12 Temp HP,
Devereux: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP

Black Knight 7: -80+5=-75, Out-of-control, Dire-Bat Form
Salt Mummy 1: -95+10=-85 HP
Salt Mummy 2:
Mohrg: -50 HP
Necromental Invisible Stalker:
Bodak: -47 HP.
Salt Mummies heal 10 HP, Vampires heal 5 HP

Key! Going from the top, roughly:
Lower K - Kuzan
T - Tomas
O - Otto
C = Charles
L = Lia
Upper K = Khalil
A = Andre
Red I = Ishaq
J = Jervis
Green I = Ianthe
D = Dieter

S = Smiler
BK = Black Knight
Blue Dot = Cavendish Zombies

D = Devourer
BG = Blood Giant
Z = Devourer Zombies

B = Bodak
SM = Salt Mummies
D = Drowned
M = Mohrg

Portrait = Cavendish[/quote]
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

I am tired and not feeling terribly creative right this second but I will post my action now and possibly edit tomorrow with a proper post.

(Immediate) Close Wounds on Khalil as soon as he's hit.
2 (dice) + 5 (caster level) + 4 (augment) = 11 hp healed

As I understand it, this will prevent Khalil from actually going unconscious. The spell says it "effectively prevents the damage."

(Standard) Mass Cure Light Wounds, centered in such a way that it hits Ishaq, Khalil, and both Salt Mummies. Using all charges of the ring of mystic healing.

5 (dice) + 18 (ring) + 11 (caster level) + 10 (augment) = 44 hp healed.

The mummies must make a Will save DC 20 for half damage. I suppose Ishaq and Khalil could make Will saves for half healing if they really wanted.

Enjoy!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

The blow from the salt thing slugs Khalil heftily in the face, with enough force to snap the desert guides neck back and crush most of his features . He stands motionless for a second admiring the pretty sparks and dots, before it all goes dark.

But its only dark for a second as a comforting warmth spreads through him, snapping his eyes back open. Looking around for moment he spys Kuzan standing a few yards away, a grin splits shis beard as he nods in thanks. Felling reinvigorated he turns his gaze on the mummys before him. "Dying time" he spits.

Stepping forward suicidally close to the creatures, he delievers three quick devastating blows, slicing and dicing undead flesh.

[OOC: Thankyou MR KK you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Should the mummy snuff it from Kuzans healing or being twatted, then Khalils remaining attacks can go against the other mummy still standing

dervishing - n27 / n28 / m28 / m29

to hit: 34 / 23 / 28
damage: 13 / 13 / 9
2 crits threatened - 19 /32 to confirm (gotta love that Power Critical feat)
burning one use of deathstrike bracers
crit damage 8 / 10

sooo total damage = 21 / 13 / 19 :D

Dodge ac bonus against Ishaqs mummy
tumble checks to avoid AoO : 28 / 32]
Last edited by lostboy on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Suddenly everyone is here, and standing between Charles and the ravening dead!

This is very heartening.

Kuzan seems to have taken charge of disposing of the salt mummies and of healing Khalil, so there's no worry there. Tomas, on the other hand, seems to be in need of help--and since he got in trouble by rushing to Charles' aid it seems only fair to reciprocate.

Leaping into the air in imitation of Tomas' galumphing progress, Charles alights behind the tongue-skeleton and whips out his rapier. Unfortunately, it's not as easy to skewer as it ought to have been; this flying business is a little hard to adjust to. At least, that's Charles' excuse for letting his rapier skid harmlessly off his target's ribcage.

Long story short: Charles moves to J30 to flank the mohrg and misses (attack roll 18).
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

No fancy post for attack action. 18 to hit with a touch attack, 14 damage. If the damage doesn't drop Mr.Vampire bat, I'll throw a Close wounds his way. DC 17 will save for half. And 8 damage from Holy Storm.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Oh, hey. It has a licking attack. Naturally.

Tomas pulls his shield arm up, and gets struck on the cheek for his trouble, feeling the queer, icy sensation of the movement numbing poison...

...and reaches out, grabbing hold of the Mohrg's attacking tendril with his shield hand while his eyes blaze with secular zeal. "...that all you are having, mein freuind?" Tomas wheezes, sweat pouring off of his brow as Cavendish's witchcraft tears at his strength. Tomas takes a swing...and sweeps right over the thing's head, allowing its body part to escape.

(ooc: Have I said lately how much I miss 4e's whole, "Shrug off a debuff with a saving throw." thing? Fail sauce.)
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

OOC: At work! Moving to L35, shooting at the Mohrg for a 26 attack roll and 11 damage.