Mists Over the Musarde, Interlude 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys takes a tipple of palinka in his goblet, thanking Dorgio as he does so.

After taking a drink of the liqueur to sweeten his palate, he goes on to explain about the artifacts,

'' Yes, of course. Well, over a month ago my workers were salvaging some choice blocks of marble from an abandoned building not too far from here. They uncovered a hiding place inside the walls. Inside, they found three things- a key , a scroll, and a mirror.

Benn examined them, somewhat more recently. Benn, you can explain your findings about the mirror and such, better than I can...'''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Upstairs, In Evie's room-

Evangeline's room is well-appointed and clean, with comfortable furniture and a big set of bookshelves-[ full of books, of course]. The white plaster walls are decorated with intricate floral paintings.

Evie moves to the far end of the room and retrieves some items from a large chest- a half dozen dolls made of painted porcelain and cloth. One is the figure of a knight, complete with a toy sword. Another is a lady-doll dressed in finery, perhaps intended to be a princess. The next two are baby dolls in long dresses. There is also a doll-horse with a silk trapper, perhaps a mount for the porcelain cavalier? The last doll is at least twice the size of any of the others- it is a green dragon, compelete with satin wings and enamel teeth!

''Here, have a look, Norzak!''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak approaches the chest, not uncomfortable at all at being a lady/girl's room. Etiquette just seems to have passed him by [big surprise there].
The last doll is at least twice the size of any of the others- it is a green dragon, compelete with satin wings and enamel teeth!

Norzak eyes the dolls in Evie's chest. None really catch his eye. That is until he sees the dragon doll. His eyes light up as he looks at it closer, inspecting it with a practiced eye. "Lil missy. Ye've got some really nice dolls. But lemme tell ye. I've never seen anything like this Dragon doll. Lassy I would really like ta get one fer Anja. I'd even pay ye for this one ta give ta her." Norzak is dead serious about his offer to Evie.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Norzak approaches the chest, not uncomfortable at all at being a lady/girl's room. Etiquette just seems to have passed him by [big surprise there].
The last doll is at least twice the size of any of the others- it is a green dragon, compelete with satin wings and enamel teeth!

Norzak eyes the dolls in Evie's chest. None really catch his eye. That is until he sees the dragon doll. His eyes light up as he looks at it closer, inspecting it with a practiced eye. "Lil missy. Ye've got some really nice dolls. But lemme tell ye. I've never seen anything like this Dragon doll. Lassy I would really like ta get one fer Anja. I'd even pay ye for this one ta give ta her." Norzak is dead serious about his offer to Evie.

''Pay?''

Evangeline smiles.

''Why don't you give it to her for me? It can be a gift from both of us.''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Well, I ........."

Norzak appears genuinely surprised.

"Yer mean it fer real? I think she'd die 'n' go ta the sky if'n yer gave it ta her, Lil missy." Norzak is not a man of many words, but Evie can tell he is really touched by her gesture, but is desperately trying to hide it.

"Harrumph!... Yes I'd gladly give it to her." Norzak takes the doll in his hands, careful not to break it. Evie realises that Norzak is very serious about his, well, his gift but with her help, to little Anja. He holds it gently in both hands, careful not to break it. He doesn't know what to say to her. A very meek "Thank ye Lil missy" pops out of his mouth as he carries the dragon doll out of the room and down the stairs. Not even looking if Evie is following, he returns to the dining room, dragon doll in his arms. The people in the dining room only see that Norzak looks really happy and for some reason, won't let go of the dragon doll. He looks sheepishly to Dorgio, muttering "Tis fer Anja" and a really big smile plastered on his face. None have seen Norzak this way yet.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

In an aside to Denys "Have you ever seen him this happy before ?" Thinking to him self :I would not expect this from someone like him based on his previous actions so far
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys leans over and whispers a reply to Alain's question-

''No, I don't think I've ever seen him quite like this.''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Well he seems to have a soft spot for some kids I guess"-Replying to Denys"Thinking:An interesting diecodemy in a personality like his apparently.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio nods appreciatively at Denys' words. He then turns to Benn "Quite fascinating. And, what happens if you are looking in it?"

He then returns his attention to Denys and Alain for a moment. "You know, ur'Sancerre, I think we would all be loving to hear how you and our new-met friend Alain are familiar with each other."

When Norzak returns, Dorgio glances briefly in his direction. For the first time, it occurs to him that he has no idea how old or young Norzak is by dwarven standards. Perhaps, he wonders, Norzak is barely a youth by their reckoning. He makes a note to read up on the subject later.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Very well," the archivist begins, the tenor of his voice changing to project throughout the room, dropping back into the role of a lecturing professor. "I contacted a fellow researcher I know here in the city, and examined the works of his private collection. Amongst these, I found records of a caravan that traveled to a place known as "the North Country," which I have tentatively identified as including portions of Herr Cirdan and Herr Norzak's homeland of Darkon. They traveled to a place known as Karg, a small village that worshiped a demon god of plagues and pestilence known as Incabulos. Or, perhaps, worshiped is the wrong word. Without being too graphic, they believed that one of their children had to be sacrificed to this being once a year, to prevent his reigning dooms down upon them, presumably through spreading a disease of some kind through the community. The people of Karg went along with Incabulos' wishes."

He bends over to his satchel, fishing around inside for some items while speaking. "Among the stories was a tale told about a woman named Wolutha, a daughter to a duke. She tried to fight the plague cult, married a man who taught her black arts and led witch hunts against the cultists. It began benignly enough, but the death of her father seemingly drove her over an edge. Her inquisitions grew, and the kingdom became a place at war. Rats and other plague creatures ran wild through the fields, while cultists were seized and beheaded, even Wolutha's own husband. There were stories of children disappearing near the castle, only to be found with running sores and horribly aged. A passing knight gave the people hope when he went to the keep to battle her, but it faded quickly, since she seems to have ensorcelled him in some way and brought him to her side. The people fled, mostly cut down by creatures that stalked the roads surrounding the city. Eventually the land itself disappeared completely. Presumably the tale was told to the people of Karg as a means of telling them the costs of defying the cult of Incabulos."

Out of the satchel Benn pulls the three small items in question, scroll, key, and mirror. He carefully ensures that the mirror is still wrapped in a dark silk handkerchief. He sets them down onto the table top. "This would have simply seemed like an interesting anecdote. However, while examining the mirror, I discovered that it contains an aura of divination, possibly providing a means of scrying or looking through to another place. It showed me a room in a castle or tower built of stone. Furthermore, during the course of my investigation I saw...someone else in the mirror, looking through at me: a woman, with very blue eyes and dark hair. The mirror looks both ways, it appears. She tried to compel me to act, and she also knew my name." He gestures to the covered object. "Thus the precautions. I have a suspicion that this woman was Wolutha, that the world on the other side of the mirror is her homeland."

He removes the glasses from the bridge of his nose, setting them down on the table. "Normally that would be the end of the story. However, Herr Norzak informed me early on during the investigation of a story told among his people of a gateway of some kind, built below the city, that leads to another place. It is supposedly guarded by rat-men, beings who could conceivably serve Incabulos. I have spoken with members of the Confraternity of Ratcatchers here in the city. They have a similar tale. And, there is the matter of these artifacts and the anachronism they represent. The question that remains, gentlemen, is how they came to be here, so far from their presumable lands of origin in ancient Darkon. We all know the odd history of the city, that it was found fully constructed but empty, with no sign of the previous inhabitants." He pauses, looking around at each member of the audience in turn. "It is my belief that this gateway exists, somewhere in the sewers beneath this city. It is also my belief that finding it could be one of the most significant discoveries of our time, possibly offering clues as to who built Pont-a-Museau."

He smiles knowingly, waiting for the assemblage's reaction.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys leans forward in his chair and says,

''The origins of our city? Truthfully, that would be a great discovery, just as you say! Such a big piece of information, secret or forgotten for so long....

Gentlemen, I am willing to sponsor an investigation of this matter. I may bring in a handful of other worthies, those whose interests and fortunes fit them to the backing of such an enterprise, but I shall keep the operation discreet from my end. ''

He motions towards Alain and adds-

''Oh, and Dorgio has asked how I came to know Alain. I met him through a mutual friend, Eleanor Gramanti. He recently assisted Madame Gramanti in a personal matter. He comes with her highest recommendation. I thought you fellows would like to meet him. I ought to add that he has taken to our Richemuloise ways very quickly for a foreigner.''

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dorgio's eyes fairly light up in response to Benn's explanation of the mirror coupled with Denys' offer of sponsorship. The academic knowledge of the city, well, that was all well and good, but doesn't feel like his city. But the clout that could be gained through this investigation could prove very lucrative. With that sort of influence, it may become easier to convince...certain people of certain things. Plus, with the opportunity to show a rival religion the folly of their ways, the whole thing seemed like a gift from the Morninglord himself.

"I am thinking nothing could be better!" he announces. He then rolls a cigarillo for himself. "If you will excuse me for a moment, though," he stands, then turns to Benn. "Can I borrow your ear a moment?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn nods eagerly after Denys's response. "Very good sir. There are still some matters I wish to look into a bit further before actually beginning any sort of exploration, but I will do so with all due haste."

He turns in surprise to Father Dorgio. "Erm, yes, well I suppose so." He gestures. "After you?"
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dorgio steps into the streets with Benn. He picks a small rock off the ground with one hand, draws his dagger with the other, then strikes the rock against the flat of the blade, creating a spark to light his cigarillo. He takes his first puff, and feels the tension sheer away. That done, he offers one to Benn.

"You're a clever man, friend, so perhaps you have already guessed what I am about to tell you. You know I am of Gundarak, but Vistani blood also flows through me. I trust I can tell you this without the fear of drawing superstitious ire; I cannot say the same for the others.

"I tell you this because the full moon approaches, and I would have you wait until it has waned before we start this new expedition. When the lady shines full," he says, gesturing to the moon. "She does, strange things to me. I'll be no good to you then."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"No thank you," he says to Dorgio's offer of a cigarillo. "I had begun to suspect this, yes. It should not be an issue. As it stands now, I know enough to be reasonably certain that the gateway exists somewhere. However, I know nothing regarding its location. This city is quite large, and its sewers are equally extensive. It would be like the proverbial "needle in the haystack" to start the search now."