Discussing all things Ravenloft
TwiceBorn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity
Location: Calgary, Canada... but currently in Gran March, Greyhawk

Domains of Dread to get 4e treatment?

Post by TwiceBorn »

From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080815
Will there be a published "core" setting?
There's concern that a core setting (any setting, really) will be used by only a minority of gamers, and thus any setting must be approached carefully. At this time, there are no plans for a published core setting (though online will likely see more core setting material, such as the return of Domains of Dread).
-- TwiceBorn
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I kinda hope Wizards won't touch Ravenloft after what they did to Strahd. Elf Pirate + halflings as vistani = blech. Maybe it's just me though- I find most things that Wizards does lately to be lame.
I might've been spoiled by Arthaus's RL books or by Fantasy Flight Games Midnight setting.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

If they're intending to limit their Ravenloft material to online stuff, it could be that we'll see a few Dragon articles on the subject, rather than a full book. Perhaps they'll write about how to integrate the Land of Mists into the new cosmology, or use Ravenloft like a staging-area to demonstrate how horror scenarios can be conducted under the 4E system.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:If they're intending to limit their Ravenloft material to online stuff, it could be that we'll see a few Dragon articles on the subject, rather than a full book. Perhaps they'll write about how to integrate the Land of Mists into the new cosmology, or use Ravenloft like a staging-area to demonstrate how horror scenarios can be conducted under the 4E system.
Simple answer: With greater difficulty than in 3rd edition.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Every edition of D&D has needed a mountain of alterations to the rules to make it a Ravenloft game. You really think 4E would be harder to convert to Ravenloft in comparison to 2E or 3E?
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Now just to wait for the Campaign Setting and Player's Handbook. :)
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Perhaps they'll write about how to integrate the Land of Mists into the new cosmology
Oh please no, I hope not! The 4e cosmology is lame and isn't needed for a 4e Ravenloft at all. :x
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

They will eventually get to campaign guide and players handbook for that setting, the thing is that we need one of our known authors handling this project otherwise we will see the sheriff.

I hope an author would tell us that they are doing a ravenloft project atm for WotC, so we do not hold our breath in fear.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Just to clarify the above based on a statement made at GenCon: By "new Domains of Dread," they mean new domains, not a new version of the 2E core book. The October issue of Dragon will introduce an all new domain (and darklord), and will establish what that means in 4E.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mangrum wrote:The October issue of Dragon will introduce an all new domain (and darklord), and will establish what that means in 4E.
Hoo Boy.... here we go...

(must temper... excitement... with possibility of .... massive ... suckiness. ) :?

Soo... anyone who's actully been following 4e wanna tell me how much a single issue of online Dragon costs, if it's even an option?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Mangrum wrote:Just to clarify the above based on a statement made at GenCon: By "new Domains of Dread," they mean new domains, not a new version of the 2E core book. The October issue of Dragon will introduce an all new domain (and darklord), and will establish what that means in 4E.

Any chance you know what that means, good sir, and whether it's a good or bad thing? I'm both excited and worried at the same time. On the one hand, I'd be thrilled if they go the Eberron route for translating Ravenloft to 4E (I.E. Very little to no changes, and staying more or less faithful). On the other hand, I'm extremely worried that they'll go the Forgotten Realms route for translating Ravenloft to 4E (I.E. Taking a hatchet to the setting with the kind of enthusiasm that only Jack Torrance can muster).
Soo... anyone who's actully been following 4e wanna tell me how much a single issue of online Dragon costs, if it's even an option?

Currently it's free. Though I have no idea if that'll be the case come October. Guess it depends on how much of DDI is available at that point. If the Game Table is up by then (God willing! I've been waiting for that for a while, now), then you'll probably have to pay.
Oh please no, I hope not! The 4e cosmology is lame and isn't needed for a 4e Ravenloft at all.

Depending on how things are handled, I can see it working pretty well. For one, Rich Baker has stated that demiplanes still exist. So it's not hard to imagine that Ravenloft is a demiplane floating in the Astral Sea. Second, Feywild and Shadowfell reflections of the various domains would be pretty nice. I also like Jester's suggestion for adding the Dreamscape to that list.
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Hmmm....

If it's a single domain that's being discussed, in isolation, then that sounds like we'll be in for a return to the "Weekend-In-Hell" format. That would make sense from WotC's perspective -- a modular approach would be a lot more marketable to non-Ravenloft fans, which certainly is a concern for world-specific material -- and it could be less controversial for us as well, because it's so easy to just ignore Islands of Terror IYC, if you don't like them.

Cheesy though W-i-H games were, I really, really hope that's what they're doing. If they release a new domain every October -- one we can take or leave, without reaming the existing Core -- along with some monsters and a few DM Tips for horror scenarios, that'd be a massive improvement on the trashing the Realms received. It'd save those of us who want to stick with 3E some money, too, not having to buy Dragon online more than once a year.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Amicus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Amicus »

"This new domain is called the 'Shadowfell.' The Mists pull back to reveal that it surrounds the Core on all sides. Its darklord is known only as the 'Raven Queen.' "

"Also, in all future 4E Ravenloft products, the term 'darklord' will be replaced by 'level boss.' "
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

gonzoron wrote:Soo... anyone who's actully been following 4e wanna tell me how much a single issue of online Dragon costs, if it's even an option?
They're going to be free for at least one more month. After that, at the moment, there's a monthly subscription fee which includes both Dungeon and Dragon for $7.95. They may offer individual mags in future but not as of yet.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

Well, I think Ravenloft will likely be #4 or 5 on WotC's big list of campaign settings they want to put out, if they follow their one setting a year plan. We know 1 and 2 are Forgotten Realms and Eberron, 3 will likely be Dragonlance, so then it'll be either Dark Sun, Greyhawk or Ravenloft. Just my best guess based on the popularities of the various settings, and I don't see Planescape or Mystara being revived anytime soon...

Hopefully, in October, we'll get a better idea of what WotC's plans for the future of Ravenloft are... anybody want to put any money on Cyre being added to the Core? :wink:

EDIT: Forgot Dragonlance... which they still happen to be producing books for.
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.