2009 Remakes - Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, and More!

Books, movies, television and everything else
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

2009 Remakes - Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, and More!

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I just found out that a remake of the original Friday the 13th movie is going on, set to be released in '09. If you're like me you grew up with the franchise and remember things like the old NES game, the novels, and even going as Jason for Halloween (complete with a toy meat cleaver that would scream when swung).

Clive Barker's even going back to remake the original Hellraiser. This is more a rewrite than a remake, though. But for those of us who follow the Cenobites like they were gods it doesn't really matter. Eight movies just isn't enough. I need more Pinhead, more Lament Configuration, and more insignificance of humanity compared to the powers of Hell.

Here's hoping this is worth the wait. :D
Last edited by High Priest Mikhal on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

It will never top Friday 13th X: Jason in Space.
Should have won an award....
Evil Reigns!!!!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Freddy vs. Jason is more my style, but I'll admit I liked Jason X. Actually I hear it's going to go into the details of Jason's past that never got touched, like where the mask really came from and what he's been up to since his "death" in the Fifties. There's an article on Wikipedia here.
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:It will never top Friday 13th X: Jason in Space.
Should have won an award....
Only one reason to watch that movie... Lexa Doig :lol: ... Come to think of it thats the only reason to watch Andromeda too...

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Eight movies just isn't enough. I need more Pinhead, more Lament Configuration, and more insignificance of humanity compared to the powers of Hell.

Just thought I'd point out that the Cenobites - outside of the films - were not from hell, but an alternate dimension where pain and pleasure were one and the same. The cenobites weren't evil, per se, but alien and amoral. In fact they only play a small part in the stories I've read; a fact which has appeared more frequently in some of the direct to dvd versions. I never cared much for them in the films, because they are treated as randomly mindless and EVIL killers - while in the material I've read they never committed their acts out of evil ... which isn't to say the results were any nicer.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hell is subjective. To most "normal" people the Cenobites' realm would be hellish while to someone like me it would be a twisted sort of heaven. :D
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

:?

By all means say on oh High Priest, you've got the Voices In My Head rather curious-and believe me, it's rare to hear them agree about anything...
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Uh...that's not something appropriate for this thread--or this forum--but I'll try. Try to imagine the sex club from Crow: City of Angels, the freaky subway car in Hellraiser: Deader, and Strangeland coming into one place. That's a start of what I'd call "heaven." No, I am not kidding. That's simply how I swing, so to speak.

That said, let's try to stick to the OP. Anyone else know of any oldies-but-goodies being remade?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Let us not forget the Evil Dead remake that'll be out at some point, among others...

I am so tired of remakes.

Also, there are 9 Hellraiser movies, just that the 9th never got released... yet...
Swallow your soul!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I am so tired of remakes.
Eh. Remakes aren't anything new in the movie industry. Heck, those old classic Hammer flicks are essentially re-makes of Universal's films from the 30s, and I kinda doubt if we'd have Ravenloft today if Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing hadn't brought Dracula back into the limelight.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ancalagon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ancalagon »

The lack of credible creativity movie-making is spreading.
You can't have S-L-A-U-G-H-T-E-R without L-A-U-G-H-T-E-R.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I am so tired of remakes.
Eh. Remakes aren't anything new in the movie industry. Heck, those old classic Hammer flicks are essentially re-makes of Universal's films from the 30s, and I kinda doubt if we'd have Ravenloft today if Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing hadn't brought Dracula back into the limelight.
True, but at least those remakes were worth watching. The present remakes are generally garbage with very few notable exceptions (Dawn of th Dead for instance).

I'm just glad that movies like The Signal are still being produced.
Swallow your soul!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: True, but at least those remakes were worth watching. The present remakes are generally garbage with very few notable exceptions (Dawn of th Dead for instance).
Oh, there's remakes from the past that went nowhere too, like the 1934 version of The Maltese Falcon called Satan Met a Lady (that's right, the version we all know and love is the THIRD version), or the 1951 American remake of M (which I've heard is actually pretty good). For that matter, some remakes only look better in retrospect-- John Carpenter's version of The Thing was pretty heavily slammed by critics when it came out for being so viscerally gross.

Sturgeon's Law has always applied, but the crap of recent times just tends to stay around longer, especially with modern media preservation-- I bet there were plenty of perfectly horrid films whose nitrate prints didn't survive, or whose acetate "safety stock" was recycled during the war. (Acetate actually degrades too, but far less volatilely than nitrate, so it wasn't observed for a while.)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

The Thing, great movie :)

The remake of The 39 Steps is also pretty atrocious from what I near, but I refuse to watch it out of my love for the original. Let's also not forget Psycho. What's the point in a remake that tries to perfectly copy the original? *sigh*
Swallow your soul!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: The remake of The 39 Steps is also pretty atrocious from what I near, but I refuse to watch it out of my love for the original. Let's also not forget Psycho. What's the point in a remake that tries to perfectly copy the original? *sigh*
IIRC, in an interview the film's producer said that his kids wouldn't watch a B&W film, and he didn't have the money or clout to have the original colorized. :roll: