The Eye of Anubis: Book Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Courtyard, Level One, Dežbār Keep
May 29th, 761, 7:09 AM; Day 73 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

"Gunpowders kept seperately, just in case." Samael said shortly. "Think three kegs is enough?"

The Borcan paused for a moment, trying to remember in which of the large packs the reserves of fine black powder were kept. The kegs were stout, small barrels weighing maybe twenty pounds each, not terribly imposing but containing enough explosives to render a man to component parts.

And not very large components at that.

"We'll all run out of ammunition by Expedition's end, but no help for it." Samael muttered as he and Guy brought the small kegs over, one by one.

The portcullis, for its part, was a remarkably imposing looking structure, which made sense considering its job is to keep unwanted visitors out. The metal bars were the thickness of your arm, and welded together in a way that centuries of ethereal miasma hadn't managed to rust away. You would not want to be in the position to try and assault the portcullis.

[OOC: Knowledge (Architecture & Engineer) DC 15 to figure out how to level the portcullis without taking the gatehouse down with it. Setting up the explosives and triggering them (assuming a proper check), takes one minute (10 rounds)

The Torture-Chamber, Sub-Level Two, Dežbār Keep

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mortals... they never cease to annoy. Marchosias murmurred to himself. It was a state of being that the fiend never truly understood. Here they were, offered treasure beyond the dreams of avarice all for one little task.... and instead they commit suicide over a sob story by someone who had recently been doing his level best to kill them.

Madness, really. Well, its neither here nor there. The fiend considered what to do next. The firelings were not to be despised, but neither were they infallible. Something more... extreme... was required.

Yes.... this would do nicely.

For this incantation, mere will was insufficient. Marchosias scowled. There was a time when the Red King had been greater.... long ago as it was. Nevertheless, this trick of magecraft was still within his power. Sweeping up his taloned hands, crimson flames dancing in his eyes, Marchosias began to chant.

They weren't words in the conventional sense. They were sounds, thoughts, emotions from the eldest days, from the time when the universe was only a glimmer of possibility. It was the language of the gods, and of the highest angels and daemons. It didn't really have a name.

It was also incredibly taxing. Little by little, Marchosias felt exhaustion sweep over him, the sheer difficulty of the eldritch chant made difficult. And then.... success.

Floating in the air before the Red King was a small, pure-white flame, no longer than a candle-light. It was also the most dangerous creation in the entire Amber Wastes, and possibly the plane.

Hellfire. Mortals used the term extravagantly, and even Marchosias was guilty of it from time to time. But true Hellfire was not flames with a dark tinge. Hellfire was the fire beyond fire, the white-hot blaze that burned everything. Wood. flesh. cloth.

Stone.

Metal.

Souls.

It couldn't be stopped, not by water or magic or any means short of a lack of fuel. And Hellfire fueled itself on life. The touch of life, the barest whisper of creation, of mortal passage or mortal construction was its fuel. Where Hellfire had passed, nothing but a barren ruin remained, inhabited only by ghosts.

With an effort of will, Marchosias placed the flame upon the ground, outside of his summoning circle. Sikarba'al's Prison would not be undone with Hellfire, sadly. Marchosias had tried during his third century of imprisonment, when the desperation reached the boiling point. All he had accomplished was nearly destroying the torture chamber.

But now, the little white flame sat upon the cold, lifeless stones of the torture chamber. But not entirely lifeless, for the traces of blood, of human presence and human passage, were enough.

It flickered.

And began to grow.

May 29th, 761, 7:10 AM; Day 73 of the Menetnashte Expedition

It was a good thing that not everyone was too busy with the explosives, because something unusual even for Dezbar was happening not too far on the walls of the castle behind the Expedition. Well, no. Even for Dezbar, this was more or less par-for-the-course of bizarreness and insanity. It was merely the latest.

The stones along the wall were glowing. A dull, red-hot glow not immediately visible on sandstone in the reddish dawn light, but nevertheless, large blotches started to appear in the wall, and those closest felt the heat begin to grow.

[OOC: In six rounds, the walls will melt enough to let whats inside out. Those who succeeded on their spot checks recieve the full six rounds of prep-work. Those who flubbed them only get three rounds.

At the moment, from my perspective you have the following options:

• -Say sorry, call Marchosias, and give him the Sefer Raziel HaMalakh nicely.
    -Get the portcullis open (six rounds during prep time and four rounds during combat), then get everyone out (i.e., run like hell)
    -Destroy the Sefer Raziel HaMalakh. It is possible to do so within the next minute. You just need to figure out what the four elements are, and apply them.
    -Dawdle long enough to let the Hellfire cut you off and so you all die.

Have fun! I'll finish the prep-time on Sunday evening, and then we'll proceed to combat. One way or another, Book Five ends this week.

Player General Hitpoint Report
Ishaq: -16 HP
Khalil:
Kuzan: Mass Aid (+6 Temp HP)
Charles:
Lia: Extended Mage Armor (+4 AC), -8 HP
Tomas: Magic Weapon (+1 AB, +1 Dmg), Endure Elements, -12 HP.
Andre: -10 HP,
Otto: Barkskin (+2 AC)

Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Here," Kuzan pulled a flask of holy water from his pouch and thrust it toward the book. "Try it, see if it works. Get the gunpowder going, now!"

I have an idea, but I need a DM to know if I can use that idea, so if he will kindly contact me...

But keep going, everyone! Blasting the door is our best bet!

If all else fails, I don't suppose one of the NPCs has the appropriate knowledge? We're in a group full of professors and students, surely someone knows about architecture?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia grabs Otto by the shoulders and incants 'Facultam volati tibi dono!' Almost immediately, Otto can feel himself being buoyed up, as he is endowed with the power of flight. "Give that thing hell," she tells him curtly. "Charles, you know architecture, do you not? Assist him, please hurry!"

Next, Lia hurries over to Kuzan and speaks to him in a low, urgent tone of voice: "Animals are innocent. Hold the head of a camel, blow salt into its eye, catch the tears - tears of an innocent. Breath, we may have in the bottle. Knife, we have. Fire ..." Lia seems to hesitate for a fraction of a moment, then pulls Kuzan's head down and whispers frantically into his ear. "Do you wish to try it, chance it?" she asks. "Quickly, please!"
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan glanced at Lia for the barest of instants and then nodded. He pulled a scroll from his pouch and read the prayer, pronouncing a blessing over the flame at Lia's direction.

"Hopefully this works," he says grimly.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Ishaq!" Lia snaps. "Grab one of the camels by the head and for pity's sakes, don't let it move an inch! Someone else blow salt into the poor creature's eye, collect as many tears in a flask as you can and get it over here! While Otto and whoever else he needs tries to blow that wretched portcullis to kingdom come, I want to try and destroy the book.

Charles, please toss it over here. And whoever has the dagger, bring it over. Where's the bottled breath? Let's try this."

Lia holds the blessed torch and starts to mutter prayers of her own. Patterna: "Heart Beyond Illusions, hear this prayer from within the Sea of Illusion ... Let Truth burn away the heart of evil ... Yea, though we must dwell in the Sea, we may at least attempt to cleanse the Waves of further Lies and Deceit, which trouble the Swimmers ... Heart Beyond Illusion, cleanse the waves of that which delay our path and lead us into the Gulfs ..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ishaq didn't really understand the riddle. The gunpowder was foreign to him as well. Anything he could do to help he would. If they could just get the portcullis open, then they would be able to flee this infernal place and the fiend.
Ishaq!" Lia snaps. "Grab one of the camels by the head and for pity's sakes, don't let it move an inch! Someone else blow salt into the poor creature's eye, collect as many tears in a flask as you can and get it over here! While Otto and whoever else he needs tries to blow that wretched portcullis to kingdom come, I want to try and destroy the book.
Ishaq sheathes his blade. Calmly, he walks up to a camel, Grabbing the reins he holds them steady. Then he quickly moves and grabs ont the camel's head with both hands. His voice booms out in the room, leaving no option but to follow his request "Quickly now, let's get this camel's tears!"
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre snapped to attention. "Whomever has that damn book, give it Lia now. Otto, the knife and the bottle. Lia, you're a sodding Genius, and if you switch to the theology department, you had better believe this will count towards extra credit."

Andre shouted up towards Charles and Otto if they had already taken off to do architectural things. Yes, Andre wasn't much one for inspiring speeches, or even really anything that involved genuine human social contact. But a frantic bellow when their lives were on the line? Oh that he COULD do.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"I'm only a genius if it works, Andre," Lia replies without looking the professor in the eye. Rather, she is looking at the torch, which she holds up so its light may fall on as wide an area as possible. "Now ... Place the book on the floor in front of me.

Someone fetch the tears; they are the first component mentioned in the riddle. As soon as you have the tears, pour them all onto the book. Next, stab the dagger into the wretched thing, then bring the bottle. The breath, we only provide a little of, in case this does not work and we need to try again at a later time. I will apply the flame when the breath has been released."

Patterna: "Heart Beyond Illusion, support and bless this venture, I beg."
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

>Rustle-clink-clink-clink-snap-WHOOSH<

The sound of a man producing a wine bottle and a dagger from his belt pouches, handing them off to a wizardess while somehow keeping constant hold of three bombs and a makeshift firestarter (using no more than two hands), and then zooming arrow-straight up into the air ten feet or so...well, that sound happens rarely enough that it's difficult to come up with an onomatopoeia for. It happened anyway.

Posture a rigid vertical in midair, not "floating" or "hovering" so much as "existing in place," the gunsmith hooked two of the bombs onto his belt and brandished the third one, inspecting the top of the portcullis for machinery or weak points.

"Charles--you call out; I place; I light. Schnell, bitte!"
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil hauls a keg of gunpowder under each arm over to the portcullis, and looking at Otto and Charles rather abruptedly asks, "So where do I put this?"
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre rushed to get salt, then approached the Camel with a look on his face that suggested he found this plan to be utterly and completely insane in the way that only things which were truly glorious could be.

"Alright you ungulate you, give me tears like a spoiled Dementlieuese girl finding out that no, she isn't getting a puppy for her birthday" he muttered, as he did the ocular salt bit, ready to collect any tears.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Yalenus Veler wrote:Andre rushed to get salt, then approached the Camel with a look on his face that suggested he found this plan to be utterly and completely insane in the way that only things which were truly glorious could be.

"Alright you ungulate you, give me tears like a spoiled Dementlieuese girl finding out that no, she isn't getting a puppy for her birthday" he muttered, as he did the ocular salt bit, ready to collect any tears.
The camel was apparently wondering whatever it had done in its life to deserve this kind of manhandling. Or camelhandling, as the case may be. Nevertheless, it made a valiant attempt to spit at Andre, or better yet, tear his hand off. But Ishaq held the animal tightly as a large, watery tear slid down the beast's dusty snout.

Meanwhile, the red-hot blotches were growing.

Player General Hitpoint Report
Ishaq: -16 HP
Khalil:
Kuzan: Mass Aid (+6 Temp HP)
Charles:
Lia: Extended Mage Armor (+4 AC), -8 HP
Tomas: Magic Weapon (+1 AB, +1 Dmg), Endure Elements, -12 HP.
Andre: -10 HP,
Otto: Barkskin (+2 AC)
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre collected the tear...and even muttered an apology to the beast as he rushed over to the book...and proceeded to spill the tear onto it. "The tears of an animal, a being that knows not the existence of evil, living in innocence, unstained by the burden of knowledge of good and evil. An Innocent's tears, to cleanse."

Needless to say, Andre was in his mind fervently hoping that if this DID work, there would be some sort of visual. Because otherwise...grasping in the dark yet again, NEVER pleasant.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Yalenus Veler wrote:Andre collected the tear...and even muttered an apology to the beast as he rushed over to the book...and proceeded to spill the tear onto it. "The tears of an animal, a being that knows not the existence of evil, living in innocence, unstained by the burden of knowledge of good and evil. An Innocent's tears, to cleanse."

Needless to say, Andre was in his mind fervently hoping that if this DID work, there would be some sort of visual. Because otherwise...grasping in the dark yet again, NEVER pleasant.
For a moment, nothing happened as the camel tear made a slightly damp stain on the leather cover of the book. But then.... it was like a humming, a barely audible sound like the roar of waves, the sound of the ocean in miniature. The air around the book took upon a decidedly bluish tinge to it.

You noticed that they began to fade around the edges, so a single tear wouldn't last forever. But for a minute or two, you had time to find the others.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre grinned a nigh manic grin, rushing over to Lia with a smile more fit for a Cheshire cat. "A bottle of your finest, if you would be so kind, miss. And of course, a knife for the cork." He offered with a fax doff of his nonexistent hat, retrieving the fiend' own bottled breath and a knife of admant.

Taking the knife, he made a broad slash of the knife across the cover. "A knife of Admant, the metal of earth, to sever your soul from this world, and speed it unto the nether where it belongs."

He hoped for another visual...if he could cross his toes, they'd be crossed too as he clutched the bottle, waiting, praying..hoping.