Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Eye of Anubis: Book Four

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Hills Southeast of the City of Phiraz
May 22nd, 761, 12:31 PM; Day 66 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It was noon about a week after you had parted with the Camolomescro that you recieved your first sight of the Phiraz, the Desert Jewel, City of a Thousand Secrets, the Gateway of the Amber Wastes, the Home of Purity.

As you reached the top of the ridge, the entire city was spread out before you, an amazing vista the likes of which you doubted could be equalled anywhere in the world. Phiraz hugged the side of a massive lake, the sparkling blue waters a balm to the eyes after the endless dust and sand and rock of the road. The sapphire-like water was fed by a massive river, and distantly, you could see what might have been waterfalls far away.

Phiraz, however, was a city of gold beside the deep azure of the lake. A vast, irregular shape, the clay bricks and sandstone cave it a deep yellow look, interspersed by white marble facades that shone in the sunlight. Huge sandstone walls surrounded the city, and banners of crimson and verdant green and pure, blazing white hung from the walls, while even from here you could hear the bustling sounds of a living city.

Michel pulled up his horse with a slightly proprietarily smile. Aside from Fassahd, it was well possible that he was the only one here who had ever actually visited Pharazia. "Well, what do you think?"

As the silence stretched, the Dementlieuse man continued, pulling out facts from his childhood with a pleased tone in his voice. "Fifth largest city in the world, over a hundred thousand people. Visitors from all over the world come here to buy goods or study at the University of Phiraz. Also one of the great engineering marvels of the world."

"See that? It's called the Ousserd." De Angelis pointed at the huge lake, its azure waters smooth as glass. "Largest artificial lake in existence. Fed by the Simurgh river, the ancient Pharazians dammed it up, so its the heart of the entire country. You've got irrigation canals that stretch for thirty, forty miles heading south. Plus the Chakor and the Beni Massat rivers. Those are them way over there, you can't really see them because of the dams though."

"Magnificent..." Prof. Pelletier said, coughing once before continuing. "And it is here we resupply?"

"That and we need to find some good maps for crossing the desert, or else we're going to be stuck here for a long time." Samael Maleagant added.

"Those would be in the Library of Phiraz, in the Academic Quarter." Michel offered, pointing out all the sights. "Phiraz has seven Quarters, which probably shows they're not quite as good at math as they think. You've got the Academic Quarter with the University and the Library, the High Quarter where the nobles and most of the government buildings are, the Foreign Quarter where they put all the foreign merchants and such, the Merchant's Quarter for their own merchants, the Artisan's Quarter for the bulk of the population, and the Lower Quarter and the Old City for the lower classes. There's also the Necropolis, that's that little peninsula over there, between the dams, and there's the Palace of Purity where the prophet and overlord Diamabel lives, on the island there."

De Angelis paused, then added. "You guys might want to be just a bit careful in Phiraz. It's a theocracy, and they've got an extremely strict moral police, the Confessors. If you see a man in white robes and carrying a whip, be really careful. They still stone people here, occasionally."

"Cheery thought." The Borcan commented.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"What," Lia starts to ask, then stops as a coughing fit seizes her and her shoulders slump. "Bloody road dust ... bloody desert ... bloody heat ..." Lia breathes deeply, coughs again, then continues her question: "What manner of acts do we need to avoid specifically, in order to avoid the attention of these Confessors? Are there different rules as to what to avoid for men and women? For different strata of society? For ..." Again, a wracking cough seizes the Mordentishwoman, and she seems to sag further. "Please tell me there is a public well with safe water nearby. I need to fill my waterskins. And to drink. This flaming desert is killing me ..."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas grins in the manically cheerful manner of the natural born tourist, slapping Lia on the shoulder with a manner that warned of phrases like 'Fresh air and excercise' and 'The healthy outdoors' and 'Invigorating early morning jogs'. "At least we're all getting some color, no?" The bastard doesn't even have the decency to be sunburnt, cracking his knuckles and luxurating in the dry, dusty heat of the desert. "Becides, it's great for you! I feel healthier just from the trip!"

Ezra save us all from the ruthless juggernaut that is a morning person.

Tomas blinks, sobering a little at the warning about the Confessors. "I, ah, am understanding. My mouth, she'll be keeping shut, yes?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ulsaon smiles. "So MIchel, can I purchase scrolls and sell items in the Merchant's quarter in Phiraz?"
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"Stoning...and worse if you're found guilty of more...vile..crimes" Andre interjects, as he casts his gaze around, trying to relax...and so wonderfully glad that Magic at least makes the heat tolerable. "Either way, interesting legal system and theocratic government aside, it IS a beautiful city."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan took the heat and sun pretty well, though he occasionally complained about the lack of humidity. Still, his skin, already a deep tan, darkened yet another few shades by the time the expedition arrived at Phiraz and he seemed in overall good spirits in the bright sun. "The open sea," he often said, "Is just a desert made of water."

Having never been outside Sri Raji before in his life, he'd heard repeatedly about how uptight Pharazians were about their religious beliefs. Being a foreign priest, he was more than a little bit concerned about what might happen. He rather discreetly stuffed his holy symbol into his shirt.

"Erm," he spoke up uncertainly, "Anything I should know in particular? I'm...well, more of a heretic than anyone here, from what I can tell about these people. I'd like to know how to avoid getting stoned for being a heathen priest."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"I don't know," Charles says. "From the very little I know of them, they don't really see degrees of heathenism. Heathanness. Heathendom." He gives a mock-pleading look at Theroux. "Help me, Professor! Whatever the word is, either you worship Diamabel, or you don't; and if it's the latter, best to keep quiet about it."

Charles seems to be rather more pleased than displeased by the desert surroundings; he is tanning quickly and with little burning, and sweats with a better grace than one would really expect from a Dementlieuse nobleman. "There, old fellow," he says, slapping his horse Kejser on the neck cheerily. "I told you we'd get out of all that rain soon enough, and here we are. Dry as a bone, except for the irrigation. It's a marvel, Michel, it really is. It's truly one of the wonders of the world."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Hills Southeast of the City of Phiraz
May 22nd, 761, 12:31 PM; Day 66 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rock wrote:"What manner of acts do we need to avoid specifically, in order to avoid the attention of these Confessors? Are there different rules as to what to avoid for men and women? For different strata of society? For ..."
"Well...." Michel looked at the sky, trying to dredge up a thousand hours of lessons from his youth. "Pharazian legal codes are a bit odd. They're big on morality, and pretty fair in some ways. Their tax codes and inheritance laws are scrupulously fair, but..."

"Let's see.... no alcohol, no gambling, no drugs of any sort, and for Ezra's sake, don't say anything bad about the Prophet! They're excruciatingly touchy about that. Oh, and..." De Angelis cast a nervous glance at Lily and "Women are expected to be covered modestly. You can show the face and the hands up to the elbows, but that's it."

"What...?" Miss D'Enver's voice was dangerously mild. The green-eyed reporter used her fan to shield her from the sun, and did not appear to be pleased with this information.

Michel hurried on to the next topic before something bad happened to him, like getting hit with the fan. "We'd also be the foreigners, or Dhimmi, part of the Foreign People, the Ahl al-Dimma, which means some more restrictions. No horses or camels inside the city. Only mules or donkeys, and even then you can only ride side-saddle. We'd also need to wear a mark or something, I think they used a bright-green armband last I was here."

The ambassador's son continued. "And here's the clincher. No flashy magics allowed in the City, particularly evocations of any sort. All weapons are either peace-bonded or confiscated, and wearing any armor heavier than chain-mail results in a stiff fine."

The guard captain did not look pleased at this news. Harris said with a rumble, "I hope we don't get attacked then."
Tarlyn wrote:Ulsaon smiles. "So Michel, can I purchase scrolls and sell items in the Merchant's quarter in Phiraz?"
"Probably, if you can find a merchant willing to deal with a foreigner. Shouldn't be too hard, Phiraz is a trading hub, they get a lot of Hazlani here."
Kaitou Kage wrote:"Erm," Kuzan spoke up uncertainly, "Anything I should know in particular? I'm...well, more of a heretic than anyone here, from what I can tell about these people. I'd like to know how to avoid getting stoned for being a heathen priest."
Michel scratched his head, trying to remember. "It didn't really come up last I was here, but I think that as a Dhimmi, you can practice your religion so long as you don't proselytize at all. Be careful though, a Confessor out to get you can turn anything into proselytizing."

The Dementlieuse man grinned suddenly, then faded. "Of course, this only applies where the Confessors roam. Phiraz can be a very corrupt city, and a foreigner's word counts for very little. The punishments tend towards fines, and if you can't pay, they start with floggings and move up. So be careful."

"Of course, you can usually bribe them if they aren't too fanatical, but the real fanatics stay near the Palace of Purity and the temples. The ones out in the actual city are more reasonable."
Nathan of the FoS wrote:"I told you we'd get out of all that rain soon enough, and here we are. Dry as a bone, except for the irrigation. It's a marvel, Michel, it really is. It's truly one of the wonders of the world."
"It is." De Angelis grinned. "Once you figure out how to avoid the Confessors, its really one of the most wondrous cities in the world. The gardens of Phiraz... the Library... Ousserd itself... and of course, all sorts of things if you start looking around the back alleyways."

"Very nice..." Samael drawled. "Now then, if we're done here, shall we move on to the city?"

[OOC: Okay, here, in short form, are the laws of Phiraz as apply to you guys:
  • -Do not speak ill of the Prophet (Diamabel)
    -No gambling
    -No drinking
    -No drugs
    -Women can't show more than face and hands (up to the elbows)
    -No horses or camels in the city, only mules.
    -Can only ride side-saddle.
    -No proselytizing of any sort.
    -Must wear bright green armbands at all times (-1 to Hide checks)
    -All weapons must be Peace-Bonded (more on that when you reach the City)
    -No spells with visible effects (particularly Evocation spells)
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"There are a few laws you did miss..of course, they don't really apply to us as visitors. If we were to take up permanent residence, there would be a tax we'd have to pay as nonbelievers. And some codes about the height of our homes." Andre adds to Michael's summary of the particular legalities of Phiraz.

"Oh, and Diamabel isn't worshiped. He's not the deity..he's the prophet who speaks for the divine. It's actually a pretty fascinating concept, I know some folks at the university who could get into it in far more detail than I." He offered with a slight smile, turning to Charles, and then to Lily.

"The laws about modesty for women aren't as bad as you'd think. Yes, the basic coverings are pretty drab...but there's some beautifully patterned ones available at market. I've always thought someone should bring them back to Dementlieu, and start a fashion trend."

He then turned towards the group at large "Oh..and who here actually speaks the language besides myself? If you expect to do any trading, or go wandering off...bring someone who can speak it with you. Otherwise, expect to get utterly gouged on prices."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Right," Kuzan murmured, "Don't preach, don't pray in public, and if you see a Confessor, move along and don't make a big deal out of it. Is that about right?"

Suddenly, he realized an entirely new appreciation for Sri Rajian religion over the rest of the world. No need to preach, no need to make a spectacle about being a priest. No need to "convert the masses" or convince anyone his Way was the right Way. It made him feel a bit better about going into this city. With almost no effort, the nature of his faith meant he could easily pass as a traveling layman medic.

And the gods wouldn't even think twice.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

NeoTiamat wrote:De Angelis cast a nervous glance at Lily and "Women are expected to be covered modestly. You can show the face and the hands up to the elbows, but that's it."
'Oh, yes, Lia thinks acidly, 'that is going to make a great change to my life. The law against overt spellcasting is more worrying.' But the only words that leave her lips are: "I speak Pharazian if anyone needs it. But there is one important thing you have not yet said, De Angelis. What about water? Is there water publically available which is safe to drink? And closeby?" Barely has she spoken, or another coughing fit seizes her for easily a whole minute. At the end of it, she just gives Tomas a dull, weary look, as if to say 'Any other encouraging things you'd like to say?'
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil looks happier and more at ease than you ahve seen him on this journey, the sun on his back and the dry heat of the sand filled him with a renewed vigor. His eyes obscured by curious dark glass lenses, he seems not to even notice the effects of the heat. Pulling down his face scarf he replies to Andre.

"I am most fluent in the language of this land, in fact I have journeyed to this great city several times. What Affendi Michel has recounted should be marked carefully. I have been unfortunate to witness the public results of contravenening the law of Diambel, it is not a fate I wish for myself or any of you."
What about water? Is there water publically available which is safe to drink? And closeby?"
Eyeing Lia for a moment, he reaches into a saddlebag and draws forth a waterskin, heavy and cool to the touch. popping the lid he passes it to her. "In the lands into which we tred, water is more precious than gold my friend, if you have no water skin I would advise you most urgently to acquire one. Each of us must maintain their own supply for there will be little to spare out in the wastes."
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

lostboy wrote:Eyeing Lia for a moment, he reaches into a saddlebag and draws forth a waterskin, heavy and cool to the touch. popping the lid he passes it to her. "In the lands into which we tred, water is more precious than gold my friend, if you have no water skin I would advise you most urgently to acquire one. Each of us must maintain their own supply for there will be little to spare out in the wastes."
Lia gratefully accepts the skin -- and pulls her cloak over her head, obscuring it. A hand rises into its folds and comes out, holding her mask and veil, while the other raises the waterskin. After a few discrete gulping sounds, out comes the waterskin and up go the mask and veil. After some rummaging and a few muttered curses, Lia casts her cloak back and returns Khalil's property to him.

"Thank you," Lia says, her voice a trifle less hoarse. "I do have a waterskin. Five of them, actually. I just need to fill them. ... And myself."
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Otto has been taking in the vista as if he's broadening his horizons and knows it, pushing his spectacles down a hair on his nose for a better view. For the moment, he's distracted enough that he can't even feel his sunburn.

And another thing you never thought you'd see...Wow. Remember this.

He speaks up from the front of the cart on which he's been riding, nearly as cheerful as Tomas (the nightmares weren't as bad last night.)

"As do we all, Ms. Mourneswaithe...and I think that neither should we worry overmuch about our having to run in with the Confessors, yes? Why, with such a group of fine, upstanding, law-abiding travelers as we..."

...His smile dims a watt or two as he surveys the Expedition at large, some of which are likely giving him looks. He doesn't finish the sentence. He does rally gamely enough on a different tack, however:

"...I am personally being looking forward to exploring the markets...there is still some of which I have to stock up, and I am looking forward to seeing how Lamordian bargaining is comparing to the international sort."

He grins a bit roguishly.

"I know which I would put my money upon. Though I may need a translator..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"How long do we actually plan to stay in Phiraz?" Lia asks. "This Library sounds interesting to me, but I'd hate to go there, just to hear I have to leave in the middle of a good book."
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.