Kartakass : Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"It's not only that, friend Alex. It's that this is where the crux of the matter is, and I feel that alone should be reason enough to be paranoid. But somehow, what our recent history has shown us is that people simply are not friendly to foreigners... and I feel uncomfortable when they are, as these here do. I know I should be thanking them and all, but somehow this... friendliness makes me nervous."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven holds up a hand. "I agree with you Lucius, truely I do, paranoia is something I have in spades." He adds with a sad smile.

The smile fades as an idea strikes him, wiping his hair away from his face again he leans closer to Lucius and whispers in a low voice. "Is there any way you can be positive your magic would not be detected? Paranoia is all well and good but bewitching Innkeepers is im sure not looked upon favourbly in this land or any other."
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''It may be that these folk are simply nice people. Still, I defer to the judgement of my peers on this matter. I'll do as you fellows decide we ought to do.''

Cornelius leans back and pulls out his pipe. He begins packing it with tobacco.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius answers Draven in a similar hushed tone

"I am of course not sure, but if anything, the spell I want to cast will not bewitch the innkeeper: it will capacitate me to hear surface thoughts of everyone in a certain area. I will not be affecting the innkeeper directly, but since the area is cone-shaped, anyway, I can try to place myself so that I do not catch anyone else. Also, I don't need to be in the room, as long as the walls between me and the landlord are not too thick. That might be useful later... or not."
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

"I am of course not sure, but if anything, the spell I want to cast will not bewitch the innkeeper:
"You know that and I know that, but should anyone detect your spell I doubt they will assume so benign a possibility." he says with a slight grin.

"I for one would prefer not to face the gallows, the stake or whatever passes for judgement in this land before breakfast."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius rises to his feet and stretches, suppressing a yawn.

''Friends, Van and I will be working together in the morning. We can join the rest of you tomorrow evening. If you can get a hold of any information about the missing men- or better yet, objects connected with them, that would be a great help. I'm going to attempt to use magic to divine their location. Anything concrete would be very helpful- objects they owned or used, a lock of hair if you can get it, clothing they may have worn-that sort of thing.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Wait, wait... before you go, let's just settle on a plan for tomorrow", Lucius whispered as he approached his friends.

"I want to cast Detect Thoughts tomorrow, and check if this innkeeper or his guests are at all friendly to us. But I need cooperation, I need someone to converse with them, and steer the talk to elicit thoughts of his towards us. Perhaps one of you could directly ask him for help, or ask for people and places we should go to. Also, ask for precautions we should have. I think that these will probably bring up some covert thoughts, if he may have them.

I'll go up, now, and prepare my spells for tomorrow. When I come down from my room, I'll have the spell cast and only four minutes to get a reading. I think someone should be with me when I cast the spell, so that we don't lose time. Perhaps I should cast the spell only after someone is already talking to the innkeeper, so we don't have to wait for his availability. So, what do you say?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I agree. It's a good plan. I think you should give lets say 1 minute to the one who will speak to the innkeeper and then you can get down concentrated. Also, I think we can ask about the wolves too, as Tarlyn said, it's something strange about them."

Van looks his companions and says:

"So, any volunteers for this task? Me and Cornelius are excluded of course since we will join you later."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven looks thoughtful "So we need to give this fellow enough of a cue to trigger these thoughts in his mind, right? Well if you need someone to look less than reputable Im sure I can manage, I have soem expereince of dealing with the less savoury elements of society afterall."

"OK so I engage the innkeep in conversation, but give him a few moments to get him warmed to me." He pauses flashing a slight grin, then continues, "then William if you and Lucius come and join the conversation. William and I will surely cover for your concentration Lucius, besides we then have three people on standby in case of trouble. How does that sound?"

"Lets just hope he actually has useful infromation." he adds as he leans back.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I agree with this plan. But be wary. I think it preferable if you men do this as in these lands elves aren't always welcome and no matter what Jacob or I would say, might be taken in the wrong way. We will be in the dining room if anything happens, so fear not."

"I will cast a Message on Lucius so we can stay in contact secretly. Fear not, I am sure the questioning will go fine, friends."

The evening passes without any events and for once you sleep very well. The morning arrives and it is time for action. Jacob casts his spell and bidding you good luck, departs with Tarlyn for the dining room
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Wonderful! Then we're set for tomorrow. I'll go and get ready..."

-----------------

Lucius woke up early the next day, and promptly started preparing his spells for the day. He revised his whole list, both divine and arcane, and then waited for the signal. Listening to the door, he tried to understand when Draven and William would be in their positions, and then prepared for his spell.

Ezra make this work, he thought, or we'll be in deep trouble.

He cast the spell, chanting the incantation as softly as possible. Then, he opened the door, and prepared to descend the stairs, as the first signs of extraneous consciences came to meet him.

[OOC]: cast Detect Thoughts at level 4. Spell DC: 15 = 10 +2 (level) +3 (int)
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven stares at himself in the mirror for a moment trying to decide if he looks disreputable enough. Having not slept again his red eyes and pale skin certainly fit the bill. He looks longingly at the pouch full of morphine not yet, you need your wits together.

Pulling the door shut he raps lightly at Lucius' door before descending the stairs. Casting a quick look about he heads towards the desk.

Draven wipes his hair back behind one ear and pulls a disarming smile, whihc probabley looks more like a nervous grimace. "Good morning my man, a fine day is it not?" He says leaning nochalantly on the desk.

"I was hoping you may be able to help me, we are looking for someone."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

As Lucius descends the stairs he sees several patrons milling about the area near the exit, mostly enterring or leaving. One man is at the reception. He appears to be settling his room. Near the exit thoughts have been detected by Lucius. The people milling about the entrance in the middle have thoughts as well as then man at the desk. The clerk however reveals nothing. As the three of you approach the desk, the man speaks a few words to the clerk and leaves.

From the middle of the entrance these thoughts are heard, a man ....." I hope I make it back home in good time for Martha.." The man who just left his thoughts are "I wonder if Frans has completed his business here. I grow weary of travelling and wish to return to Richemulot." Another's thoughts, A woman "Did I forget anything? No.. no ... Sophie don't be silly, of course you've everything..." A man who seems excited"..... the gold was well spent this voyage. I suspect that Bernadette will say yes to me!" A happy whistle is heard as a man exits the Inn.

As you reach the desk the clerk looks you three over which gives you a strange feeling. He sappears to be sniffling as you arrive at the desk.
Draven wipes his hair back behind one ear and pulls a disarming smile, whihc probabley looks more like a nervous grimace. "Good morning my man, a fine day is it not?" He says leaning nochalantly on the desk.

"I was hoping you may be able to help me, we are looking for someone."
The clerk eyes Draven suspiciously, especially with two other foreigners behind him. "Er good day. I coudn't say I haven't been out yet, sir. How might I be of service to you?" The man looks around then keeps his eyes on Draven's. His hands remain under the desk.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

"Er good day. I coudn't say I haven't been out yet, sir. How might I be of service to you?" The man looks around then keeps his eyes on Draven's. His hands remain under the desk.
"Well you see I have a small problem." Draven flashes another attempt at a friendly grin. "Two friends, well more acquaintances of mine passed through Kartakass on business several moons ago, we were due to meet recently and well they never arrived."

He pulls a slightly sad lookign expression. "So here I am trying to trace their steps and perhaps locate them. Now this being the most reputable establishment in these lands I was wodnering if you had a record of their stay here?"

" The names are Percival Layhden and Dominic Reyessey, I would be much obliged for any information you may have." He adds with a conspiratorial wink, sliding a glittering coin subtley across the counter.

[OOC: sleight of hand 27 to slide 1 gp without anyone else noticing]
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius does not look directly at the innkeeper, preferring to look around the establishment as if admiring the craftmanship or satins his curiosity about the other guests and the strange customs of this land.