The Eye of Anubis: Book Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Well, that was quick.

"Glad you're on our side!" Tomas smiles at the young apprentice, "It is being twice as awesome as the unwashed hordes of wickedness and greed, and the girls tend not to secretly be vampires or lawyers or something horrifing."

Tomas frowns at the confrontation, but weighing what he does, doubts he can get up the cliff in time to help. Sheathing his sword, Tomas grabs his pistol, taking a moment to...

...to...

...what? What is he supposed to do? Say some magic words? Not like he knows any, or even who he's asking the favor from. Instead, Tomas sticks his tounge out, aims, and says, "Hey! Barney!"

(OOC: Casting Divine Favor, and pulling my gun out.)
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

[OOC: 23, I say 23 on the will save! Cmon! :D *dances a jig*]

The shimmering curtain of air breaks over Khalil, and reality seems to skew slightly and he sees.... well something familiar yet not quite right. "Rizak?" he shouts, staring intently at the form outlined in a blazing light above him, its arms open as if beckoning him. The desert guide feels a burning feeling of hope and warmth spreading through him, a feeling he has not felt for so long. Yet there is more, two more figures rise behind the first, a woman and a man. Khalil feels tears welling in his eyes as he looks upon faces he has not seen in many years. The figures float towards him moving over the ground that sparkles in the golden light as they approach...

But somehting is wrong, its as if the figures are wearing a mask of familiarity, Khalil squints into the light and sees not the figures he expected, but rather the shifted cat-like form of the illusionist, framed on the dull rocks above.

Brough sharply back to reality he blinks oncve more to clear his head. "Enough games, judgement is upon you!" he hisses, pushing forward to the base of ridge below Tarik.

Leaping at the cliff face he grasps a crack with his fingers, wedging his wrist further in he hauls his legs high enough to gain purchase. Removing his hand he hangs precariously for a moment before boosting his body towards the lip of the plateau above him, and straight into a driving rainstorm.

Scrambling over a few feet of soaked rocks behind the beast-wizard thing, he draws both blades and slashes quickly with both hands.

[OOC: 16 on the climb check, two handed attack 92 & 67 to beat the displacement, to hit 17 & 15 (with haste modifier) to hit for 3 dam and 2 dam if hit]
Last edited by lostboy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

"ENOUGH!"

The gunsmith ROARS, spun suddenly into upright configuration, standing supported on the air, hawks flying from him like nature's heralds or careening shrapnel.

And he reloads.

"You take my son from his natural family."

Powder.

"You take my son from MY family."

Wadding.

"And you do AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN this thing--"

Shot.

"--And I kom and haff CONFRONTED you vith thees sins--"

Ramrod.

"UNT STILL YOU VILL [Lamordian] NOT FACE ME!"

The plateau below him flares into blinding brightness as the monster is enveloped by Lia's fireball, but Otto does not look away.

[Lamordian] "You pick on the weak. You fight people who can't fight back. You hide from people who'd call you on it--you hid from me so I wouldn't call you on it. You're trying to kill my friends instead of me, AND YOU CAN'T EVEN DO IT IN YOUR TRUE FORM! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH--"

He bites back the end of the sentence and swings his pistol forward in a single sharp movement--and lightning sparks from the bracer on his arm to Donnenschlag's firing pan, a persistent, blazing arc of electricity that flickeringly illuminates his snarling face from one side.

[Lamordian] "Useless." It is a wrathful hiss, echoing fiercely across the cavern.

He can see Cevdet Tarik very clearly, now, through the blurring and the flames. Very clearly.

[Lamordian] "BEYOND REPAIR."

And he fires.

OOC: Using two charges on the Bracer of Accuracy to get around the displacement, then rocking a 22 to hit for 8 damage. Let's hope the guy goes down soon; I can't monologue all day...
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Cevdet Tarik's Sanctum, Western Elazig District, Hazlan
May 14th, 761, 11:04 PM; Day 58 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The illusionist hissed with fury, even as Lia's fireball and Andre's storm collided on him in some sort of preternatural elemental conflagaration, fire and water in one deadly mix. For a few seconds, Cevdet was out of sight, the creature that he had become invisible behind the powerful spellwork. And then it faded.

....And he was still alive!

Charred, that is true, and the holy rain had caused huge, ugly discolorations on his purple fur. Bleeding from dozens of wounds, and kept alive purely by unnatural mage craft, but nevertheless, the illusionist was not yet dead.

"I... shall.... not.... be.... destroyed!" Cevdet hissed, his voice reverberating throughout the cavern. The two tentacles raised themselves high, sparks of lightning lashing between the two. "Fulmi---"

Across the cavern, you heard Otto's voice raise in rage, and there was the rapport of a pistol. And neat as you please, a small wound appeared in the great cat's forehead. The lightning between the two tentacles flickered and faded, and even Cevdet's form vacillated, fading as shadows beneath the noon-day sun. The creature's legs slid apart, and even as it did so the magic fled.

Leaving the illusionist, Cevdet Tarik, face down on the cold stone, a bullet through his brain and a pool of slowly spreading blood beneath his black-robed form.

For a moment, you held your breath. Cevdet had survived attack after attack, even now you wondered if some new magecraft would bring him back for one final round. But no. Otto had slain him stone-dead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh.... Lawgiver..." Nizam watched his master and mentor for so many years fall to the ground, and almost mirroring him, the black-robed apprentice sat on the steps of the stalagmite, cupping his head in his hands. "What have I done....?"

Nearby, the children stir, having been cowed into silence by the awesome sounds of battle around them. Dani, lashed to the great black crystal above the stalagmite was the bravest, calling out hesitantly in Patterna a question, then switching to nervous Vaasi. "W-w-what's going on? Auntie Florica? Auntie Aishe?"

And near the bottom of the stalagmite, the great Krenshar breathed out once more, its body broken and bleeding, battered by sword and spell. But, perhaps amazingly, it was alive, it's breathing stabilized somehow.

Like it, all of you were alive, something that did not at times seem quite possible. But you were alive.

[OOC: Good job, one and all! Plenty to do though. Cevdet's dead, Nizam is probably suffering a mild nervous breakdwon, Masal's stabilized at -9 (there's a question for ya, anyone want a tame Krenshar?), there are children to release, and a wizard's laboratory to loot.]
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Charles is, perhaps, just a tad disappointed that the Grand Finale takes place while he is still charging up the slope. But, really, what could make a more satisfactory finale than to see the proud foster father in the role of Avenging Angel?

The work up there is done, and even if Tarik shows undesired signs of life there are any number of people present to help him with that. "Get his keys," he says to whoever is nearest the body. "Let's go set the captives free, shall we?"

Crossing back to where the children are, he goes to where Nizam has slumped. "Hard to believe, I know," he says, quietly. "Even when one's master makes one do terrible things, one still feels the sense of duty to him. But you've done the right thing. Come, let us set them free."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ulsaon snaps out of her reverie. Blinking she looks around. Seeing Cevdet dead on the floor of the cavern, she mutters "Serves him right, kidnapping children like that." Looking around she spies what looks like a lab? Seeing as the rest of the party is concentrated on the children and she would only get in the way, she walks over to it. Enterring she looks around the lab. Her eyes go quite big at the sight of two items in particular. "Whoa!" she utters "a spellbook and a rod! Wow! I can't believe it."

Looking around she searches for a key of some sort.

OOC : 13 YAY! I found that ever elusive dust I wanted!
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Otto hovers, for several long moments, as if frozen in time.

It's over.

Holster.

It's done.

He closes his eyes, slowly, his face a mask of distant thought. He is inside his head.

Take stock.

What's left?

You have a gun.

You have three fewer bullets, and three fewer ounces of powder.

You have...

You have two decades of practical knowledge.

You have a year of formal education.

You have several months worth of..."object lessons."

You have an obligation towards wolves.

You have a sand cultist, and a sadist, and a tomb to explore.

He opens his eyes and surveys the room, and the people in it.

You have...a support crew. A crew to support.

He is rising now, through the air.

You have a home.

You have a business.

You have a wife.

...You have a wife!

She's tiny and blonde and can absolutely *whup* you at bridge and HELL if you don't love her enormously; and you have Horst and Inga and Klaus and EVERYONE back home; and Anton Kessler, that canny old bastard, and all the guys from Arc. Sci.--

He is smiling, a little--and there are a few tears.

Here's to the long term!

And he's floating in front of the crystal shard, in front of Dani; puts a reassuring hand on the kid's shoulder.

[Vaasi] "Don't worry--we're here to take you back to your family. My friend's going to come up here with the keys in a second; I'll stick around and make sure you're okay."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia briefly waves to Otto. "Good shot," she tells him, her voice abruptly calm again. "Good shot, indeed." Immediately after, she turns to Kuzan and gives him a grateful nod. "Thank you for saving my life yet again, Kuzan. One of these days, I must make it up to you somehow."
'I feel like death warmed over,' Lia thinks to herself as she starts to walk towards Cevdet Tarik's cooling body. 'Even with the healing. I need to get my hands on better protective spells. I absolutely need to.'

Vaasi: "Do not be afraid, children!" Lia calls to the chained children. "We are here to bring you back to your families. Dani? It is Dani, isn't it? Your aunts asked us to help find you, you are all going home."
Lia squats down by the dead wizard and rolls him on his back, casts Detect Magic and clumsily starts frisking him.
"Keys, keys, keys," she mutters. "Where did you keep them, you bastard?"
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

The rain picked up suddenly.

Rain? Underground?

But then he felt the soothing, tingling sensation and he understood. He watched, his vision unfettered by the downpour, as the displacer beast tried to lunge, only to fall to Otto's bullet. He stared, watching impassively as the creature's form shifted back into a human, and the blood, mixed with the holy water, pooled on the ground.

See? he thought to the image that had long since departed, I didn't need it.

The priest stood, motionless, until the rain stopped. When the last of the holy storm faded away, he moved, heedless of how soaking wet he was, toward the spire at the center of the room. A faint smile crossed his face as he walked, a sensation of relief.

"Do any of you need healing?" he asked, first to the children, then glancing around the cavern.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Cevdet Tarik's Sanctum, Western Elazig District, Hazlan
May 14th, 761, 11:07 PM; Day 58 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Nathan of the FoS wrote:Crossing back to where the children are, he goes to where Nizam has slumped. "Hard to believe, I know," he says, quietly. "Even when one's master makes one do terrible things, one still feels the sense of duty to him. But you've done the right thing."
"He raised me...." Nizam said dully, face in his hands. "Evil, I know.... but he's been the closest thing I had to a family since I was six. And now he's dead, and I'm a criminal and an outcast and what am I going to do now?"

A wracking sob shuddered through the apprentice's body, and for a moment Charles was afraid the young Mulani would have a nervous breakdown for real. But then Nizam stopped and took a deep breath, then rose to his feet shakily.

"Right, children, right." Nizam repeated, as though repetition would somehow drive the recent moments from his mind. He dug in the pocket of his black rob and brought out a ring of keys. "Here."

For his part, Cevdet bore no magical items on his person, although a set of keys was also present. You would need to figure out what to do with the body in time. Cremation possibly.

In short order, the children were released, and with gleeful cries of joy and relief, promptly latched onto the nearest, cuddliest looking adult, who ended up being Tomas, to no one's surprise. One child, however, the young Vistana, Dani, graveled nodded to Lia as she undid the chains. Even at the age of thirteen, the young Vistana promised to be quite the heart-breaker when he grew older. Still, their honest cheer did you good to see.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Soaked with soot, holy water and blood, shivering slightly with heretofore-ignored cold and some mild shock, Lia somehow finds the impertinence to pick Dani up and hold him close for a few moments.
Patterna: "I am ... deeply gratified to see you well and alive," she whispers in his ear before releasing him again, but holds onto his hand. "Let us see these children out of this place," Lia suggests to the room at large. "Ulsaon, if there is anything good there that will not explode in our faces, just bundle it all up and we can sort it out later, yes? Nizam? Nizam! Where is the passage you used to get in here? I doubt any of us wishes to go back the way we came in by." Slightly more kindly, she continues: "What you can do now, is to start walking a different path. Your life is your own, it does not belong to or with a dead man who would have twisted it to his own ends."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"You'll do what you have to," Charles says quietly. "We'll work something out." Already the wheels in his head are turning, options being considered and discarded second by second. Do we reveal it? We can't let it be known we killed him unless we declare everything to the authorities, take nothing...then it all goes before the Vraylock...not appealing, that.

As he thinks Charles frees the children in simple, economical movements; they look up at him with mingled awe and terror, perhaps associating him with the black-robed apprentice who, until so recently, was their co-tormentor. Or perhaps it is his exotic appearance and Mulani manner of speech that give them pause; whatever the reason, they bow politely and immediately search out someone more approachable. Shrugging very slightly, Charles watches them form a shouting ring around Tomas. Smiling, he bounces the keys in one hand. Basler. We'll start there. If he takes Nizam as an apprentice...and he's the local legal authority.

His plans coalescing rapidly, Charles goes back to where Nizam stands. "I think," he says, "you need a new master, and a better man. All of this is yours by law, is that not correct? But you'll need a legal guardian until you come of age, as well as a master. Would you be amenable to having Rishad Nisanci take the role?"

Looking over at Lia, he says, "Let's leave the goods for now, M'selle. All of this passes into the hands of Master Nizam by law, and it would be exceedingly awkward to appear in the character of murderers and despoilers of the late Master Tarik. In fact, I think the facts surrounding his demise ought not to be mentioned at all."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre couldn't help but feel elated in the aftermath of what just happend. We...we won..and none of us died this time the only thought running through his mind at the moment, but only for a moment, as he shook his head, and headed over to investigate their foe's corpse.

Not..likley...but still possible. Hope not..but..still possible He thought, as he inspected the body. Then rising from the grisly sight, he turned towards the dark stone. His question as it was, was mostly directed at Tarik's apprentice.

"What was he trying to do? What was so important here that he was willing to do...this?"
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil sighs and sheathes his blades as the foe before him breathes his last. He cant help feeling a little dissapointed at his lack of impact in the battle, but they were all alive, Otto was avenged and the children were safe, what more could you ask for? Still he had seen something, somehtinhg he hadnt thought about in a long time, something that caused pain and joy, but it was all false, the product of this man's foul wizadry.

He looks down at Tarik disdainfully and kicks the body slightly to check it is really dead, or perhaps make himself feel better. Noticably not invoking any prayers to Anubis over the body he turns away to search for the knife he threw, finding it a short way away at the base of the rock wall.

Leaping lightly down the slope he heads over towards where the others are releasing the children. As he does he passes the form of the Krenshar, pausing suddenly as he hears something, yes it was a breath, its still alive! He thinks with some alarm.

Calling to the others he shouts "The Krenshar breathes! Nizam, can you control this creature shoudl it be brough back to health?"

[OOC: So either Nizam keeps it, we kill it, we could dump it on Basler as well, or it could join Khalils incredible travelling zoological collective (kidding), as Im thinking releasing it into the wild might not be the best idea, it'll hang around where it knows and probabley eat the kids we are releasing..]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas, in the grand tradition of adults who have not entierly grasped the idea of adulthood, rubs the back of his head sheepishly as a few of the children scramble around him. He's just glad they're not panicking, as one of the kids leaps into his arms and the Lamordian stumbles...perhaps putting a little flourish on his clumsiness for comic effect. At least he doesn't have to talk with these people...

I'm covered in blood and some of my skin is burnt. Tomas thinks, but the grin is still on his mouth as he musses the hair of another child, generally doing his best to project a tangable aura of Everything Is Going To Be Allright Because If It Wasn't Someone This Cuddily Would Be The First To Die. Well, not exactly, but the little cynic that lives in Tomas's head cannot be denied, only postponed.