The Eye of Anubis: Book One

Online roleplaying at the Café
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil quirks an eyebrow and stares at the proffered hand for a moment before taking it and shaking it firmly. "I am honoured to meet you afandi Schultheiss. To answer your question, the wilds are my home, I am a nomad and although I have spent many years in Hazlan, I have travelled to many places, though I confess not to your homeland."

"If I may beg your indulgence, I have little experience with what you call firearms, I would be most pleased to learn about them on our travels when chance affords."
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Oh! So if I need anything, I come to you?" Kuzan grinned, taking another drink of wine, and then setting his glass down to sample several of the odd Dementlieuse delicacies he'd collected from the buffet.

"I took a turn or two as boatswain myself on some expeditions," the priest continued, "We're all expected to learn the ins and outs of sailing. Normally, we're there just as medics and ship-priests to pray for good sailing weather. But we usually spend a few trips as other crew positions. When I get back from this, I'll be eligible for a position as first mate on some voyages, and then I'll eventually get to take my own ship out."

His grin widened at the thought of that.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

NeoTiamat wrote: Charles & Andre-----------------------------------------------------------

"I can't imagine that the dead would feel any differently, come to that. Still," the Falkovnian Ambassador continued. "I presume the Expedition has made plans for this eventuality?"
Andre watched Charles stalk off before replying to the Falkovnian ambassador's query. "My...cease military campaigns and begin wars of words, and your nation may just finally win out once against Darkon." a hint of a small smile playing across Andre's face. "As for plans for the eventuality of a curse? We've enough spellcasters to deal with most anything, I should hope. If these "Divine curses" are in fact warding magic, I dare say I should be able to deal with them, or at least suppress them long enough to get our business done." Andre's slightly flippant tone subsided a bit before he continued "Some actual manifestation of "divine" wrath appearing before us to declare us anathema?....not so much."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Lia & Charles--------------------------------------------------------------
"Zherisia," Lia notes with mild surprise. "You are ... quite a way from home. You must enjoy the ... decadence a lot, not to miss your home?"
Ramsey chuckled warmly. "Well, well, the demure Miss Mournswaithe has a venomous sting."

"I'm afraid Zherisia and I had a difference of opinion on matters philosophical." The Philosophy department head continued, "I quite enjoy the expatriates life, in truth."

"But then again, I need hardly explain the advantage of living abroad to you. You can remake yourself, reimagine yourself as the person you wish to be, not shackled forever to the crude form one is born within. You are doing so right now, are you not? Recreating yourself not as the scion of a lesser family of Mordent but as a brave explorer, forging forth where few have ever gone. Escaping the mundanely unpleasant past for the glorious, seductive future."

"Be wary, Miss Mournswaithe. The future is never finished, it lies to you with its honeyed words. One can never escape the past." Ramsey's amused smile never faded. He had the air of a man who was laughing at some vast, cosmic joke, wryly funny and ethereally sad all at once. He turned to Charles as he approached.

"Ah, M. Martel, another who wishes to exchange lies for truth, shadows for light. Prof. de Gran speaks highly of you. Top of the class in the recent cryptography examination, quite an achievement for one so young. Do tell us, why are you upon this Expedition?"

Lord Ramsey sips the wine with full enjoyment, his pale blue eyes calm and cold.

Tomas---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Spoken like a fellow who is just as happy to not be in Lamordia, I guess." Dieter grinned. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"Speaking of Professor Devereux, isn't that him talking with....oh, whats her name, Alli I think?"

Kuzan----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your own ship? Impressive. So you're going to be a man of property, fancy that." Samael finished the wine glass and placed it on a passing servant's tray. A mischevious light entered his grey eyes. "Why don't I go introduce you around, eh?"

Taking the priest's silence for assent, the Borcan looked about the room, settling his eyes on Professor of Theology Andre Theroux and the Falkovnian Ambassador, Marcos Vedarrak. One could almost see the gears turning in Samael's mind.

Andre & Kuzan------------------------------------------------------------

Vedarrak nodded politely at the compliment as he glanced after the retreating Martel. "It's good to see that some thought went into this Expedition. In Falkovnia, there's a certain belief that the Dementlieuse lack the discipline to properly plan any undertaking. I am glad this is not always the case."

ImageAt that point, Samael and Kuzan arrived on the scene. "Ah, good day Ambassador, good day Andre. May I introduce you to Kuzan, Priest of Ajad and our expedition healer? All the way from distant Sri Raji."

The Borcan turned to Kuzan. "Kuzan, I would like to introduce you to Ambassador Marcos Vedarrak, from our neighbor of Falkovnia, and Professor Andre Theroux, of the Department of Theology here at the University. Theroux's with the Expedition."

"Charmed," said Vedarrak. He examined the rather oddly dressed newcomer with a dubious eye.

Samael stood back and waited for the fireworks.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

NeoTiamat wrote: Andre & Kuzan------------------------------------------------------------

The Borcan turned to Kuzan. "Kuzan, I would like to introduce you to Ambassador Marcos Vedarrak, from our neighbor of Falkovnia, and Professor Andre Theroux, of the Department of Theology here at the University. Theroux's with the Expedition."

"Charmed," said Vedarrak. He examined the rather oddly dressed newcomer with a dubious eye.

Samael stood back and waited for the fireworks.
Andre looked Kuzan up and down, with somewhat of an appraising eye, his glance not quite as dubious as that of the ambassador, but not exactly friendly. "Ajad? ..hm, I doubt we'll find any shipwrecks for you to enrich your church's coffers from, so I do hope you've no objection to essentially being a source of healing and little else." He set the venom in his voice aside for a moment "Though, I suppose the travel might suit you."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rock wrote:"You are ... also with the expedition, are you not?" she asks, hesitant. "No, my name is not Mournesworth, thank goodness. The Mournesworths of Mordent are a deceased house. I am a Mourneswaithe." That last word comes out slightly sharper than the rest of the sentence ... "There have been some suggestions that we are an offshoot of the great family, but I, personally, am not convinced. And you are ...?"
"I cry your pardon, Miss Mourneswaith; my wits were wool-gathering for much of the introductions. Heaven only knows how many gaffes will be bred of it. I'm Charles Martel; honored in the acquaintance, and the association." Snaring Lia's hand, he deposits the customary kiss on it and smiles in apology for his mistake.

NeoTiamat wrote:
"Ah, M. Martel, another who wishes to exchange lies for truth, shadows for light. Prof. de Gran speaks highly of you. Top of the class in the recent cryptography examination, quite an achievement for one so young. Do tell us, why are you upon this Expedition?"
"Oh, I have any number of reasons, Professor," Charles replies. "My stated aim is to examine the Akiri hieroglyphic and hieratic scripts for the purpose of studying how they encrypted information in a pictographic system of writing. It's a fascinating question; some might say, not a very practical one, but within the halls of academe the argument from practicality carries but little weight. My real reason..." Charles blushes slightly and turns his wineglass in his hand. "Well. When I was a boy and our family was stationed in Hazlan, Dr. Carter visited our house on several occasions, bringing artifacts from the Illarik dig and discussing his findings with my father and other Dementlieuse and Mordentish expatriates. I resolved that one day I would accompany him on an adventure."

Toasting Lia and the professor with a slightly embarrassed smile, he says, "And here I am."
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

If Kuzan detected the venom in Andre's voice, he didn't show it. "It's all right," he said amiably, "My official work on this expedition is being the medic." The young priest paused to adjust his sash a bit.

"My religious purpose on the trip is to see new sights," he explained, "The expedition is a means to that end. And certainly, it won't interfere with the expedition itself."

He'd been warned briefly to be prepared for the athiesm of the people on this expedition and how most of them might expect him to be preachy. At the same time, though, Ajad and his priests were not proselytizers or lecturers. They were doers. The temple back home was large enough to house the priests and the worship area was the right size for holy day celebrations, but by and large the clerics of Ajad did their worship through action rather than speech.

With any luck, these folks would realize it eventually.

Then again, everyone appreciated a healer, whether he healed by the grace of a god or not.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"It's not that I don't miss home, so much as I don't miss the lack of anything but home." Tomas shrugs again, as if that made any sense at all. He pauses, for a moment...

...was it a moment? It had to be, something that sharp didn't take a year to drill into your head. The world goes blurry as Tomas manages to smack his spoon, sending a heavy ladelfull of steaming broth into his face. Swearing under his breath, Eisenwald quickly blots the stircken part of his face with a napkin, trying to drown out the stinging pain and the residual headache from...

"Sorry, sorry," Tomas says weakly, forcing a smile. "I'm a little under the weather, ow, pay it no mind, please! Ah...Alli? One of the guards, ja? I am afraid we are not exactly aquainted..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

NeoTiamat wrote:Ramsey chuckled warmly. "Well, well, the demure Miss Mournswaithe has a venomous sting."
"I beg your pardon, sir," Lia returns smoothly, though quietly. "Stings are for insects."
NeoTiamat wrote:"I need hardly explain the advantage of living abroad to you. You can remake yourself, reimagine yourself as the person you wish to be, not shackled forever to the crude form one is born within. You are doing so right now, are you not? Recreating yourself not as the scion of a lesser family of Mordent but as a brave explorer, forging forth where few have ever gone. Escaping the mundanely unpleasant past for the glorious, seductive future."

"Be wary, Miss Mournswaithe. The future is never finished, it lies to you with its honeyed words. One can never escape the past."
Lia quietly intones something that sounds either like a quote or a poem:
"No matter how long the road before was,
Or that it defines where we now stand,
One thing we must never forget is,
The past is but a narrow foot's print in shifting sand.

No matter how clear or blurred conceptions of the future,
Shining so bright or shaded by such gloom as to make us cry,
One thing we must never forget is,
Until future is here, it is but a dream,
A cloud-built castle up in the sky."

Lia looks at Ramsey through half-shuttered eyes. "Escape or not, unfinished lie or not, we must live in the present, Mr. Ramsey. And at present, I am bound for an expedition in a faraway place. While it is never wise to forget the past, nor to be inconsiderate of the future, it is folly to let them obscure the present, would you not say?"
Nathan of the FoS wrote:"I cry your pardon, Miss Mourneswaith; my wits were wool-gathering for much of the introductions. Heaven only knows how many gaffes will be bred of it. I'm Charles Martel; honored in the acquaintance, and the association." Snaring Lia's hand, he deposits the customary kiss on it and smiles in apology for his mistake.
Lia visibly stiffens when Martel 'snares' her hand. He can feel the tension even through her glove when he kisses it; as soon as he releases her, Lia snatches her hand back as if it had been stung ...
"Quite alright," Lia mutters in reply, though she backs off a little. "Quite alright. I had not caught your name at all, so I will not hold it against you that you misunderstood mine."
Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Well. When I was a boy and our family was stationed in Hazlan, Dr. Carter visited our house on several occasions, bringing artifacts from the Illarik dig and discussing his findings with my father and other Dementlieuse and Mordentish expatriates. I resolved that one day I would accompany him on an adventure."

Toasting Lia and the professor with a slightly embarrassed smile, he says, "And here I am."
Lia hesitates but a moment before speaking up again: "Then ... you are already well familiar with professor Carter? I am afraid I did not have the chance to be closely associated with him before, given his ... outgoing nature. And ... you thirst for adventure, you say. I hope you are well-prepared. Adventures are not all roses and sunshine, or so I have heard." Lia's tone changes slightly, indicating mild amusement. "Perhaps I will have a bit of adventure on this trip, also. An interesting thought. Excitement rarely seems to beckon when one is studying the past within the safe walls of a university, yet the very act of retrieving the past, bringing it within such protection, is probably a veritable breeding-ground for adventures ..."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Rock wrote:Lia visibly stiffens when Martel 'snares' her hand. He can feel the tension even through her glove when he kisses it; as soon as he releases her, Lia snatches her hand back as if it had been stung ...
"Quite alright," Lia mutters in reply, though she backs off a little. "Quite alright. I had not caught your name at all, so I will not hold it against you that you misunderstood mine."
If Charles is at all put about by Lia's resistance to his salute, he conceals it well. "I am relieved," he declares, in response to her acceptance of his apology. "Both to be forgiven, and to know I was not the only one affected by the longeurs of our leading lights."

Lia hesitates but a moment before speaking up again: "Then ... you are already well familiar with professor Carter? I am afraid I did not have the chance to be closely associated with him before, given his ... outgoing nature.
At her remark about "outgoing natures" Charles gives her an intent look as he replies. "I can hardly claim to be a close acquaintance of Professor Carter's, m'selle, but I do know him, yes."

And ... you thirst for adventure, you say. I hope you are well-prepared. Adventures are not all roses and sunshine, or so I have heard."
"One would hope not," Charles replies. "After all, if one's adventure were roses and sunshine it would be a mere pleasure cruise, like visiting the Lake Country in the spring. Only when the privations...and even the dangers...begin has one arrived at Adventure--and if one wishes to have adventures, one must take the good with the bad, as you say."
Lia's tone changes slightly, indicating mild amusement. "Perhaps I will have a bit of adventure on this trip, also. An interesting thought. Excitement rarely seems to beckon when one is studying the past within the safe walls of a university, yet the very act of retrieving the past, bringing it within such protection, is probably a veritable breeding-ground for adventures ..."
"Oh, I think there are always adventures to be had, even within the confines of the University walls," Martel replies, smiling at Professor Ramsey. "I have often heard tell that the struggle for survival is just as fierce in the stacks of the University library as it is on the high plains of Nova Vaasa--only quieter, and with the corpses being those of academic reputations, rather than of men and horses. What has your experience been, Professor?"
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

lostboy wrote:”To answer your question, the wilds are my home, I am a nomad and although I have spent many years in Hazlan, I have travelled to many places, though I confess not to your homeland."
Yes: definitely a Vaasi accent, then. Knew it. Hm...
lostboy wrote:"If I may beg your indulgence, I have little experience with what you call firearms, I would be most pleased to learn about them on our travels when chance affords."
Otto’s eyes brightened visibly. “Well, you certainly know how to start a conversation with a gunsmith! I am almost tempted to go into the informational spiel that I give to my first-time customers, but as my wife is in charge of the business while I am away, I do not know if I am still authorized to do so...” He chuckled softly, absently swirling around the liquid in his punch glass once or twice. “But really, though: I have been working with pistols for a good fifteen years now, so every once in a while I convince myself that I actually know something about them--I would be more than happy to teach you.”

He paused, giving the battle-scarred desert guide another momentary once-over.

“Although I admit, I believe that I may learn a great deal from you, as well. I love my village dearly, but it has...generally not been a very adventuresome place, and I have stayed within it for much of my life.” He smiled, genially. “Perhaps it is my background talking, but it is good to finally meet someone who has seen the world properly--if it is not too much trouble, I would very much enjoy hearing of the lands you have visited as we journey together.”

---
OOC Edit: Sorry--I was awake for two days straight when I wrote the first version of this post, and realized after the fact that certain bits of it made more sense in my head at the time. Didn't change any of the concepts, just made the wording clearer.
Last edited by The Whistler on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Oh, I think there are always adventures to be had, even within the confines of the University walls," Martel replies, smiling at Professor Ramsey. "I have often heard tell that the struggle for survival is just as fierce in the stacks of the University library as it is on the high plains of Nova Vaasa--only quieter, and with the corpses being those of academic reputations, rather than of men and horses. What has your experience been, Professor?"
"Ah, well," Lia says with a shrug. "A slain academic reputation makes for a corpse that is more easily reanimated than a physical one, or so I've heard. Necromancy is not my field of expertise, but it seems that new accomplishments may often eclipse old errors. And if one should find one's name truly tarnished beyond endurance ... The world is vast and the academic mind is often capable of surprising - even upsetting ingenuity. All a person has to do is change their name and appearance, invent a background and show their academic wit in a different country, at a different hall of scholarship."
Lia raises her glass as if toasting Ramsey and Martel. "One learns such interesting things when studying history," she says lightly, "and comparing academic notes from various locations."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Rock wrote:"Ah, well," Lia says with a shrug. "A slain academic reputation makes for a corpse that is more easily reanimated than a physical one, or so I've heard. Necromancy is not my field of expertise, but it seems that new accomplishments may often eclipse old errors. And if one should find one's name truly tarnished beyond endurance ... The world is vast and the academic mind is often capable of surprising - even upsetting ingenuity. All a person has to do is change their name and appearance, invent a background and show their academic wit in a different country, at a different hall of scholarship."
Lia raises her glass as if toasting Ramsey and Martel. "One learns such interesting things when studying history," she says lightly, "and comparing academic notes from various locations."
Sword and Shield, this one's sharp, Martel thinks. But totally without polish. She's revealing herself more than she means to...and revealing her opinion of Ramsey more than he would like, I'll wager.

"Some of us settle merely for a change of scenery," Charles says. "Just as you and I are about to do, ne c'est pas? They do say the Akiri know something of re-animation, after all; perhaps we will rise, phoenix-like, from the Burning Lands into a new prominence on our return. Tell me, Professor, what do you hope to see as the result of our expedition? Of the many mysteries of the Akiris, which would you have revealed?"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Some of us settle merely for a change of scenery," Charles says. "Just as you and I are about to do, ne c'est pas? They do say the Akiri know something of re-animation, after all; perhaps we will rise, phoenix-like, from the Burning Lands into a new prominence on our return."
Lia shakes her head. "I, for one, will be content with academic accomplishment, rather than prominence," she murmurs, seeming to shrink in on herself. "If my professors here at the academy know I have accomplished enough to be considered an equal in my field, I shall be content. To put oneself forward too much ... It is the highest tree that catches the woodcutter's eye, as they say back home."
"Have I had too much wine?" Lia wonders at herself. "Or perhaps the excitement is finally getting to me. Then again, perhaps I have been captured by the spirit of adventure and it is setting my blood afire - and my tongue a-wagging! I must be more cautious, more quiet ... Academic equality, yes, that is the thing to strive for. Not prominence, but ... security."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Lia & Charles--------------------------------------------------------------
Rock wrote:"I beg your pardon, sir," Lia returns smoothly, though quietly. "Stings are for insects."
"Ah, but my dear, we are all insects." Ramsey chuckled again. He paused again, looking at Lia, lost in thoughts. "You are a moth, I think. Not a conventional damsel, but compelling nevertheless. You need but spread your wings."

"Charles, on the other hand," Lord Ramsey continued musingly, "Is a young spider, still learning to spin his webs. Watch that he doesn't snare you, my dear. Young men's webs can be devilishly tricky to escape." Ramsey quirked an eyebrow upward as he watched Lia and Charles.

"My esteemed colleague M. de Penible is a cricket, all sound and no sense. Or perhaps a locust, I'll need to consider that. Myself, I am an old praying mantis, born down by prey and prayers alike."
Rock wrote:Lia raises her glass as if toasting Ramsey and Martel. "One learns such interesting things when studying history," she says lightly, "and comparing academic notes from various locations."
At this point Ramsey didn't just chuckle, he laughed. "Oh Miss Mournswaithe, if you only knew. I shall look forward to your return from the Expedition, you've more wit then a raft of my colleagues. You really must do me the honor of calling upon me at Harrow House upon your return."

The philosopher paused for a moment. "Provided you return with sense and safety intact, of course. Har'Akir is not for the faint of heart."
Nathan of the FoS wrote:Tell me, Professor, what do you hope to see as the result of our expedition? Of the many mysteries of the Akiris, which would you have revealed?"
"An intriguing question, Charles, intriguing indeed. The Ancient Akiri had, and their descendants have, an unusual fascination with immortality and eternity. Their God-Kings supposedly lived for centuries, and of course there are the Ancients to consider as well. How did they do this? No one knows, it was a secret of the priesthood, particularly the priests of Osiris and Anubis."

Ramsey's eyes went distant, and you realized that he was, whatever else, a very old man.

"Immortality, Charles, that is the greatest mystery of Har'Akir."

Andre & Kuzan------------------------------------------------------------
Kaitou Kage wrote:If Kuzan detected the venom in Andre's voice, he didn't show it. "It's all right," he said amiably, "My official work on this expedition is being the medic." The young priest paused to adjust his sash a bit.

"My religious purpose on the trip is to see new sights," he explained, "The expedition is a means to that end. And certainly, it won't interfere with the expedition itself."
"An eminently practical attitude, almost Falkovnian." The Ambassador nodded approvingly. "And certainly, a priest will be very useful in understanding the deities and demiurges of the Akiri, wouldn't you say, Prof. Theroux?"

Tomas----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dieter seemed concerned. "Are you alright? You looked like you'd just had a stomach cramp or something."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing