The Eye of Anubis: OOC Thread

Online roleplaying at the Café
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

At the very least, he's going to have to run for it. Men who need to run quickly through hostile terrain tend to pack lightly. Ergo, even if he survives the attentions of Schiffer and Vedarrak unscathed, Jimmy-boy is going to have to leave some of his luggage behind ...
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

I love Schiffer. He's just this laid back, confident, well adjusted evil henchman. Reminds me of TV's Frank.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The Whistler wrote:-Tharivas was meh, Ianthe faded into the background, but I'm with the others that the Abbot was very intriguing. My guess is "Exiled Illithid that grew a conscience", which is probably off-base, but the fact that I've taken the time to think up a hypothesis is probably a good sign.
That's my guess too. So did this ever get revealed? I'm currently reading book 8, where you guys met the abbot and his prisoners, and I'm thinking why did no one ever pull the cowl down or at least peek intently into his cowl? Now that would have made for a stand off. After everybody was convinced to apologize and back off, the true face of the abbot is revealed. What will the paladin do, now that he know the rightful punishment for the pirates involves the lovely host that you just had tea with eating their brains with its tentacle face? :shock: Paradigm shift madness checks all around.

A great NPC, the abbot. Will he get a final cut scene too?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

NeoTiamat wrote:
        • The End
*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP* :mrgreen: Bravisimo! Encore! Encore! *CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

*takes a bow*

So many spectators. Ornum, Gonzoron, Giamarga, Baron Zamedi...

*takes another bow*
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Ornum
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Ornum »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...that was an excellent game, both well-written by all parties and well-played. I very much look forward to reading part 2.

To be honest, this has done several things for me. First, it has gotten be interested in picking up my dusty 3.5 books and refreshing my memory of the rules. I'd like to get the old group together and start playing again at some point.

Also, I've learned some things from a DM perspective that I'll blatantly steal should I ever attempt to DM a game online (probably won't do that as there are always things such as sudden loss of internet for an extended time on my part or complete forum crashes at regular intervals that help derail any game I attempt). Of those, the graphic representations of characters involved in DM posted scenes and an actual cartographer to make maps specific to the game are two such things. Another is not being affraid to ask for help. We basically had not only the already mentioned cartographer, but two DMs and a playtester for the more important battles.

Again, it was a really good game. Now, if everyone would just finish their cutscenes already...
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Ornum wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again...that was an excellent game, both well-written by all parties and well-played. I very much look forward to reading part 2.
Aww shucks... :wink:

==============================================

Cutscenes number seven, with Guy Benoit and number eight, with Lia Mournswaithe are now up!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Giamarga wrote:That's my guess too. So did this ever get revealed? I'm currently reading book 8, where you guys met the abbot and his prisoners, and I'm thinking why did no one ever pull the cowl down or at least peek intently into his cowl? Now that would have made for a stand off. After everybody was convinced to apologize and back off, the true face of the abbot is revealed. What will the paladin do, now that he know the rightful punishment for the pirates involves the lovely host that you just had tea with eating their brains with its tentacle face? Paradigm shift madness checks all around.
Personally, I'd like to think that my PCs had enough sense not to needlessly antagonize Abbe Psion. But no, it was never revealed, though most of the PCs guessed. :D

As for the Saga of the Abbot...

Well, originally it was just Ronove at the Jackal's Ruse, but as the shipwrecks mounted and the desert gained survivors, his psychic sendings collected something of a cult about him. Tharivas was one of these people, a Darkonian Elf out of Nevuchar Springs and former pirate. It wasn't a very organized cult, largely due to too much enthusiasm with recreational narcotics and extremely limited guidance from Ronove (just random psychic sendings to people), but still, it was a danger to the shipwrecked people.

Eventually, the God Brain became interested enough in the psychic emanations to send an Inquisition of Illithids to investigate. They arrived, smashed the cult's power structure and took command of the survivors (with judicious use of Charm effects), and began to plan out a venture into the Dream Realm to try and figure out who/what Ronove is.

It... didn't go so well. All of the senior illithids were torn to shreds when they managed to rouse Ronove partially from his slumber, leaving only the junior-most member alive and sane. For this young Mind Flayer, returning back to the God Brain and reporting complete failure was not going to be a good idea for his continued health. On the other hand, he had an extant cult, the cult's old headquarters, and a steady supply of munchies in the form of the Jackal's Ruse shipwrecks. So yes, it was an exile, but a self-imposed exile, of a sort.

Afterwards... I think he slowly went native. Originally, he merely pretended to be a kind and benevolent abbot in charge of a monastery in a harsh and unforgiving place. But with time, that's what he actually became. The captive pirates and mutineers were just a way he could feed without harming his conscience.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Guy's Theme Song. :twisted:
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Here's a question: What happened to Loup?
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Right before the assassination, Guy entrusted him to Charles, with the goal of passing the dog on to Otto. Guy's future lifestyle isn't going to be very conductive to having a huge Alsatian following him around, and Otto will provide the pup with a good home.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

So Charles at least knew exactly what Guy was planning on doing.

Man one of these days I'm going to kick his ass.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

You're assuming. He could've just said "Watch Loup for a bit."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:So Charles at least knew exactly what Guy was planning on doing.

Man one of these days I'm going to kick his ass.
Keep in mind, Sarari has "Favored Enemy: Human". ;)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Cutscene #9 is up, a brief little epilogue from everyone's favorite faerie professor, Andre Theroux. (His site-access was busted, so I posted it up for him).