The Eye of Anubis: OOC Thread

Online roleplaying at the Café
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

I have a question:

Who was the fat guy Khalil met in book 1 who gave him the box? Cavendish/Ramsay? James in disguise (it sounded very much like him)?

Also maybe should we post some of the side rp's up? Think its worth it?
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Marcel was indeed Cavenram in disguise, yes.

As far as RPs go... well, do you guys want to see them? I can look through for a few of the choicer RPs and put them up, if there's much wish for them.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Its got my vote, due to work and stuff I missed out on a lot of side rp so it would be nice to see some of it.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Sure, let's see 'em. ^^
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Alright then, we'll start off with three choice early RPs. I'll try and keep them in roughly chronological order, and I'll be picking out my favorites or the ones which were the most important.

First up, is one of the very first RPs, is Charles Martel being all James Bond with regards to the good Professor Marchand-Renier. It is also undeniably the most epic RP ever undertaken for EoA, taking place over at least three or four days, and including a combat. The location is Pont-a-Museau, between Books One and Two.

The second one is another of my 'Adventure' RPs, where I did little mini-adventures in side-RP form. This time, Samael and Jervis decided to take our foreign priest carousing in Immol, sometime between Books Two and Three. It didn't end well.

As for the last one, this actually took place during Book Four. Esteemed Brother Pelletier had ordered Initiate Theroux to put a lid on Lily and keep her inquisitiveness from causing trouble. This was when Andre and Lily wandered off during the bazaar scene in early Book Four.

I'm not doing any clean-up here, largely due to lack of willing effort, so these are pretty much uncut transcripts [EDIT: Though at Isabella's suggestion, I did replace all of our chat handles]. Enjoy, and there may be more later!
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Nathan of the FoS (1:35:56 AM): "Professor Marchand-Renier?" Charles says politely, in a tone of voice which asks if it's a convenient time for talk.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:36:53 AM): "Yes, Martel?" The black-coated professor looked out at the nearly deserted city. He was thinking something, that much was apparent, but Marchand-Renier was always thinking something.
Nathan of the FoS (1:38:48 AM): Charles leans against the taff-rail, looking out over the city as well. "I suppose this is a homecoming of sorts, Professor; will you be taking advantage of our trip to see old friends?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:40:28 AM): "Of a sorts..." Marchand-Renier gave Charles a slightly grim smile. "Family, Martel, not friends. A small, but relevant distinction."
Nathan of the FoS (1:42:52 AM): "Ah," Charles says, smiling slighty as well. "I take your meaning. Those closest to us are not always our friends. Has it been long since you left?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:45:00 AM): "Several years now, actually. I've not visited since." Marchand-Renier nodded a little absently. "Family can be a blessing, and a curse, as I'm sure you know."
Nathan of the FoS (1:49:07 AM): "Indeed, Professor," Charles replies. "A family is so many things...the individuals, of course...but also an entity in and of itself, with its own needs, habits, history." Raising an eyebrow wryly, he says, "One can never fully escape one's family, because one carries it with him wherever he may go."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:51:02 AM): "Spoken like a true nobleman..." Marchand-Renier murmurred. "One must carry himself with the proper dignity of the family, and carry out all the duties. One must never let the family down, nor disgrace it in any way. And if the family says you must do a thing, than that is what you must do."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:51:32 AM): "There are advantages to being a bachelor...."
Nathan of the FoS (1:52:56 AM): "Indeed, Professor, I have often noted it," Charles replies, grinning. "One has the support of the family, too, of course, as long as he plays the game. Whether the game is worth the candle..." He shrugs expressively. "Not so easy to say."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:53:49 AM): "Not at all." Marchand-Renier laughed. "Your father, he was the ambassador to Hazlan and Nova Vaasa, if I recall my reading on the Expedition members aright. Does he expect you to follow in his footsteps as well?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:57:16 AM): "Consul, sir," Charles says, with just a hint of reproof. "He would have been overjoyed to make the step to ambassador, but it did not fall to his lot. He expects all of his sons to follow in his footsteps, which we've done with greater or lesser alacrity." Shrugging again, he says, "So...you came to Dementlieu as a sign you no longer intended to take your role in the game?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:57:33 AM): <sir>
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:58:41 AM): "And you, Martel, follow with which? The greater or the lesser alacrity?" Marchand-Renier turned to Charles, an odd look in his eyes. [OOC: And sense motive, M. Martel]
Nathan of the FoS (1:59:37 AM): sense motive 14
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:00:14 AM): (Nothing)
Nathan of the FoS (2:00:21 AM): I figured.
Nathan of the FoS (2:01:09 AM): "That depends on who you ask," Charles replies. "I would say, I follow with all due dispatch. My father might give you a different answer."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:01:51 AM): "I do wonder whose opinion counts for more..." Prof. Marchand-Renier noted drily. "Tell me, Martel, have you any plans for this evening?"
Nathan of the FoS (2:04:07 AM): "That also depends on who you ask," Charles says, smiling widely. "I had planned to do some reading, Professor, but it's nothing pressing." He manages to convey by a certain angle of smile and head that he'd be happy to accept an invitation.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:05:09 AM): "Hmm...." Marchand-Renier continues to examine Martel. "And I presume you came here with a goal in mind? Wished to ask me something, I presume...?"
Nathan of the FoS (2:09:10 AM): "But of course, Professor," Charles says, in a tone of voice that says he can hardly keep anything from so perspicacious a listener. "Your linguistic reputation preceeds you. You know, of course, that I hope to understand the uses of cryptography in ancient Akiri; it would therefore behoove me to learn to read it with enough facility that the language does not, in itself, prove an invincible cipher. I was hoping that I might prevail on you to let me sit in on your sessions with M. Lessard and M'selle Mourneswaith...if you would be so kind?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:10:03 AM): Marchand-Renier smiled drily. "Martel, I haven't been kind in years. It's a trait excised from professors upon reaching tenure. A little quid pro quo transaction as it were."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:10:12 AM): "And speaking of which... I shall make you a bargain."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:10:29 AM): "Interested, M. Martel?"
Nathan of the FoS (2:11:41 AM): "Any arrangement in which all parties are benefitted is desirable," Charles says, nodding and smiling slightly. "What is your bargain, Professor?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:14:37 AM): "Excellent." Prof. Sebastian Marchand-Renier gave Charles that strange look. "I've been invited to a gala hosted by my beloved great aunt at Chateau Delanuit. I'd thought to bring Lessard... but I do not think he is quite ready for the..." Marchand-Renier quirked his lip. "Rigors of social discourse amongst the Reniers. I suspect you will acquit yourself more than adequately, however."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:15:28 AM): "And if you survive that, I think lessons in Ancient Akiri should not faze you." Marchand-Renier said this with a rather unnervingly straight face. Particularly the survive part.
Nathan of the FoS (2:19:48 AM): A dinner party with the Reniers...well, Charles my lad, in for a penny, in for a pound. Maintaining the polite interest he'll need to practice for such a dinner, Charles says, "I would be delighted to meet so august a lady as your great-aunt, Professor."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:20:54 AM): "You poor, benighted fool..." Marchand-Renier nodded as though he expected no less. "Very well, meet me ashore in an hour, I'm certain transportation shall arrive. I presume you still have your formal attire?"
Nathan of the FoS (2:23:14 AM): "Oh, of course," Charles says. "One can never been too careful in these matters. Where shall we meet?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:25:18 AM): "I believe M. Maleagant has requisitioned us rooms in some place by the name of the Smoking Tallow." Marchand-Renier spoke the name with just a hint of cultured distaste. "I'll acquire us a carriage to take us to the Chateau."
Nathan of the FoS (2:26:20 AM): "Very well, Professor," Charles says. "I hope M'sieur Lessard won't be too disappointed. I'll meet you there then."
Nathan of the FoS (12:08:34 AM): Charles spends a good hour on his toilette, shaving, applying cologne, and dressing himself in the "good outfit", as he mentally terms it...bottle green coat, dove grey breeches, delicate fawn-leather gloves, and the boots polished to a mirror-like gloss. All of the weapons go into place, of course; shifting his coat to feel the weight of the stiletto in his right sleeve, he takes the silver knife from its belt sheath and puts it in his boot, putting the enchanted dagger in its place. "So!" he say to the mirror. "Now to give them a show."
Nathan of the FoS (12:09:05 AM): Thus fortified, he makes his way to the appointed meeting place and waits for Marchand-Renier to make his appearance.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:10:10 AM): The Professor seemed much as Charles had seen him in Dementlieu, ram-rod straight and dressed in a black ensemble. He took a moment to examine Charles from head to toe, then nodded to himself. "You'll do, I hope."
Nathan of the FoS (12:10:41 AM): "So do I, Professor," Charles says, smiling easily. "Onward and upward!"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:11:49 AM): "Quite..." Marchand-Renier noted drily, a sable carriage pulling up to the curve. The horses were a matched pair, dapple-greys, and the driver hunched over the reigns in a dark coat from the inevitable rain. Marchand-Renier waited a beat.
Nathan of the FoS (12:13:04 AM): Charles gave him a quizzical look, as if to ask, This is our conveyance?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:13:30 AM): Marchand-Renier nodded, then his eyes flicked to the door of the carriage.
Nathan of the FoS (12:14:32 AM): Shrugging, and slightly put out by this bizarre reluctance to begin the evening, Charles opens the door of the carriage and gestures the professor inside.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:15:47 AM): Marchand-Renier nodded to Charles, a slight smile on his face. Very good. It said as the Professor entered the carriage. [Bluff Check/Convey Message: You're about halfway the servant for the night.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:17:18 AM): Inwardly Charled rolled his eyes in commiseration with the unfortunate Remy; outwardly he merely nodded, stepped up himself, and banged on the roof of the carriage to signal the coachman to drive on.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:17:46 AM): With a quiet flick of the reins, the unseen coachman ordered the horses forward.
Nathan of the FoS (12:19:41 AM): "So, Professor, perhaps you should advise me," Charles says over the rattle of the wheels. "If I am to act as your second in this evening's duel of wits, with whom should I engage? And what shall I aim to learn?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:21:13 AM): Again the slight, peculiarly approving smile flickered across Marchand-Renier's harsh face. "You'll need to watch out for my nieces and nephews, belike. I suspect their elders will catch me for the evening. They can be very convincing, but try not to give away all of our secrets."
Nathan of the FoS (12:23:27 AM): "Why, Professor, I don't know all of our secrets," Charles says, grinning. "You can't get blood from a turnip, as they say. I do hope that the evening will allow an introduction to la grande dame...it would be criminal to dine beneath her roof and not pay my respects to so great a lady."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:26:11 AM): "Oh I am quite sure you'll be introduced." Marchand-Renier rolled his eyes. "Aunt Jacqueline insists on introductions. For the most part, mingle, enjoy yourself, and attempt to rescue me before the evening gets too wearing."
Nathan of the FoS (12:27:54 AM): "Delightful," Charles says. "Although if the stories they tell of your countrymen are true, Professor, you may be obliged to rescue me before the evening is out! It would never do for me to lose my heart to some Richemuloise beauty and leave the Expedition at this point."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:28:56 AM): "I find it is rarely the heart that is the cause of these problems." The Professor observed drily. There was a flick of the rains and the black carriage trundled across a stone bridge. "Ah, here we are."
Nathan of the FoS (12:30:42 AM): "Well, but the mention of the other won't do in polite society," Charles rejoins. Opening the door as the carriage comes to a halt, he steps down and waits for the professor, following just behind him and to the right.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:32:51 AM): Marchand-Renier steps out of the carriage with a slightly amused smile and heads for the entrance to the Chateau Delanuit. It was huge, urban mansion, a vaguely square building set amidst gardens and fountains and private walkways. Quite beautiful, in a somewhat modest fashion. Marchand-Renier nodded briefly to a pair of guards in Renier livery.
Nathan of the FoS (12:34:15 AM): Charles follows, not bothering to conceal his interest in the sights, and taking his cue from the professor as to where to go and who to speak to.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:36:27 AM): They entered the Chateau, seeing first the grand entrance and in time being lead to the ballroom. It was a marvel, reminding Charles a great deal of the great rooms of the Lord Governor's mansion, but whereas the Dementlieuse style was ostentation without end, the Renier's ancestral home was more elegant, demure almost, and ever so slightly dim.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:38:09 AM): "Ah, the prodigal professor returns!" A lovely blond-haired woman in a green dress noticed Prof. Marchand-Renier. "And how is it to be back in Richemulot?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:38:52 AM): "Quite well, Aunt Louise." Marchand-Renier briefly bowed and kissed the woman's hand.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:40:17 AM): "And who might this young man be?" Louise Renier turned to Charles, an arched eyebrow on her flawless face.
Nathan of the FoS (12:47:20 AM): "Charles Martel, your most humble and obedient servant, madame," Charles says, taking the noblewoman's hand and bestowing a kiss notable for its pleasing combination of enthusiasm and decorum on it.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:48:35 AM): "Such a charming young man." Louise remarked. "Wherever did you find him Sebastian?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:48:51 AM): "Dementlieu, my dear Aunt, all the best people are going there these days." Marchand-Renier smiled drily.
Nathan of the FoS (12:51:21 AM): "Save for those of us who are leaving," Charles says, smiling widely and gesturing to indicate the professor and himself. "And, of course, for those for whom even Dementlieuse polish could offer no more brilliance." Here he bows slightly to Louise.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:53:26 AM): "I'm sure." Louise narrowed her eyes at Charles, tapping a finger by her chin. "Well, I shan't hold you much longer Sebastian, I'm sure you've something important to do. You usually do..."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:54:01 AM): "Nothing can be more important here than being with you, Aunt Louise." Marchand-Renier smiled and bowed his head. "I shall be certain to send you a keepsake when we return from Har'Akir, and of course for Aunt Jacqueline as well."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:54:35 AM): "Yes... do that." Louise nodded quietly and dismissed them with a gesture. [Sense Motive check]
Nathan of the FoS (12:55:35 AM): *sigh* 11
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:55:42 AM): [Natch.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:22 AM): d00d, i'm inclined to believe yv about his run of luck
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:30 AM): it's just that all his bad rolls have come to me!
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:34 AM):
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:41 AM): actually, it's been ok
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:56:43 AM): Tell him you want his dice.
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:57 AM): i've pulled a few really good rolls at opportune moments
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:57:08 AM): Trust me, there'll be more checks tonight aplenty
Nathan of the FoS (12:57:10 AM): but, wow, the routine stuff is just eating my lunch
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:57:53 AM): "A fascinating woman." Marchand-Renier remarked, a tone of admiration in his voice, which he then promptly spoiled by adding. "Almost as fascinating as she believes she is."
Nathan of the FoS (12:59:35 AM): Charled offers no commentary on this remark; he suspects that Marchand-Renier, as a family member (a family member, a deeper part of his mind warns), will be allowed a wider range of personal opinion than is really appropriate--or wise--for a guest.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:00:28 AM): Marchand-Renier quirked that little smile of his as he looked at Charles out of the corner of his eye. "And now, I think I must leave you, I see my parents. Enjoy yourself, and try not to get into too much trouble."
Nathan of the FoS (1:01:19 AM): "Very well, Professor," Charles says. "I shall endeavor to do so. When and where shall we meet at the conclusion of the evening's festivities?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:02:22 AM): "The gardens are usually quiet, but try not to be there alone." Marchand-Renier nodded. "If I don't arrive by midnight, come and collect me."
Nathan of the FoS (1:05:10 AM): Charles wonders to himself if alone isn't, in fact, the only way he'd be truly safe in the gardens--surely it's the fellow-guests who would complicate matters. But, again, it would hardly do to say so. "Of course, Professor," he replies. "Enjoy your evening. And I would be grateful if you would introduce me to your other great-aunt at some point...au revoir."
Nathan of the FoS (1:05:55 AM): Having made his farewells to the professor, Charles wanders through the great hall, admiring the portraits and keeping a weather eye out for Reniers with whom to converse.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:05:55 AM): "Au revoir, Martel." Marchand-Renier smiled. "I do hope to see you again." And with that the Professor departed.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:06:36 AM): [Spot Check]
Nathan of the FoS (1:07:57 AM): 14? this is taking place at the last level, and i think i put 2 points in spot for 6th...so either 14 or 15, probably 14...
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:11:00 AM): [Eh, it's a low DC] Suddenly, Charles noticed a familiar face in one of the portraits of the great hall. Looking closer, he saw the undeniable face of Prof. Marchand-Renier, but younger, perhaps in his twenties? He seemed more lively, a grinning student in an graduate's black robe. It was a family portrait. An older woman, likely Marchand-Renier's mother, sat in a chair with a book, while an older man rested a hand on her shoulder. Another man, perhaps in his late twenties, stood beside Marchand-Renier, looking seriously at the portrait painter through dark bangs. A girl of fifteen, with blond hair, held a small dog on her lap.
Nathan of the FoS (1:13:06 AM): "So that's the family," Charles murmurs aloud. "In happier times, I suppose." He steps forward to see if a plaque will give names or other information on those pictured.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:16:18 AM): "Philippe Marchand, 691--" "Felise Marchand-Renier, 698--" "Jaufres Marchand-Renier 712--753" "Sebastian Marchand-Renier 714---" "Delphine Marchand-Renier 734--"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:17:41 AM): "Well, well, well." A voice sounded from Charles's left, a light baritone. "Looks like a Dementlieuse." Came a clear soprano to his right. "Looking at the merchant's family" said the baritone. The soprano continued "I wonder if he's related..."
Nathan of the FoS (1:18:40 AM): ooc: according to gaz III no information exists on richemulot pre-694...is that true in this campaign?
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:19:24 AM): [I hate false history.... especially when it means oldsters might be around from the beginning. Forgot that little tidbit.]
Nathan of the FoS (1:19:53 AM): picayune point
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:19:55 AM): [Move Marchand's birthday up a few years to 695]
Nathan of the FoS (1:19:57 AM): k
Nathan of the FoS (1:24:17 AM): Charles turns to the speakers. "You're quite correct, m'selle," he says, smiling slightly at the woman. "I am Dementlieuse. Charles Martel, your servant." This is directed at both. "I am not related to the Marchand-Reniers, though they say it's a wise child who knows his own father; but I came this evening at the invitation of Professor Sebastian Marchand-Renier, and I was interested to see this record of his youth in the very ancestral home, as it were." As he speaks he examines them to see if his memories of a summer spent in Ste. Ronges can call up any names for their faces. (Knowledge (local) 29--17 if you need two rolls).
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:25:23 AM): (Bertriz and Bertran Renier, a pair of lightly scandalous twins, notable for always being together and having platinum blond hair. About Charles's age.)
Nathan of the FoS (1:27:03 AM): "M'selle Bertriz, M'sieur Bertran Renier, isn't that right?" Charles says, stepping forward to offer his hand first to the gentleman, then the lady. "I believe we were introduced two years ago at a driving-party in Ste. Ronges?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:27:15 AM): "Why it's Martel!" Bertran exclaimed. He was a slim, beautiful young man with a pale face and sparkling blue eyes. His sister, her hair falling to her waist, raised an eyebrow. "Whatever are you doing here, I thought you were in Dementlieu these days?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:30:20 AM): "Oh, I'm in transit," Charles says, shrugging in a way calculated to give the impression that he has important business which he cannot describe fully--much as he might like to. "Professor Marchand-Renier and I are attached to the Menetnashte Expedition--a sort of fancy-dress voyage to the ends of the earth--and we are passing through."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:31:44 AM): "Really...whyever for?" Bertriz fluttered a pure-white fan near her face, moving her hair slightly. She was a beautiful woman, although betimes a little too shallow for Charles's tastes. Bertran cocked an eyebrow, "Can we come along?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:38:20 AM): "It is an archaelogical expedition," Charles says. "Supposedly one of the great opportunities of the age to learn more of the Akiri; hence the professor's presence, since he is so noted a linguist." Nodding at the portrait, he continues, "Quite a charming portrait, really...the happy family together in the home. It's a little sad to think that only the young lady remains to carry on the family traditions."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:39:59 AM): "Oh the lovely Delphine, the money-man's daughter." Bertriz made a cute face. Bertran waved a hand. "Rich as Croesus the lot of them though, more money to Sebastian and Delphine when old Philippe dies."
Nathan of the FoS (1:42:16 AM): "Oh, so they're not estranged?" Charles says. "Somehow I had gotten the impression that the professor had fallen out with his family; I'm glad to hear it's not so."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:43:03 AM): Bertran laughed. "Estranged from all that money? He's no fool." Bertriz smiled. "It might be better to say that some of the family is estranged from him."
Nathan of the FoS (1:43:46 AM): "Oh, really?" Charles says, with an expression that says, "Tell me more."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:45:54 AM): "Well..." Bertriz waggled her perfect eyebrows conspiratorially. "Jaufres? He was one of Great-Aunt Louise's favorites. When he died, I think Sebastian and Louise blamed each other. No love lost there..."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:46:14 AM): Bertran slapped his sister lightly across the shoulder, "Now, now, love, don't go spilling too much away."
Nathan of the FoS (1:48:17 AM): "Oh, really?" Charles says musingly. "I thought I noted a certain chill in the air when the two of them met this evening. But there are so many sides to any family ruction...draw away from one and you approach another, isn't that so?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:49:27 AM): "Oh yes, in fact..." "Secrets, Bertriz, secrets." Bertran smiled at Charles. "We really oughtn't bother you with so much family gossip, I'm sure it must be utterly boring. So tell us, what are the latest scandals in Port-a-Lucine, hmm?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:52:01 AM): "Oh, I regret to say that the scandals of Port-a-Lucine are but paltry things, for the most part," Charles says. "Although we must hope that this party offers no denouement as shocking as the last which I attended."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:52:43 AM): "Oh? Do go on?" Bertran quirked a brow. Bertriz fanned herself and batted her lashes at Charles.
Nathan of the FoS (1:57:22 AM): "Indeed. It was, you see, a sending-off party for our own Expedition," Charles says, giving the appropriately dramatic rendition of events and playing to Bertriz, who seems the more likely of the two to furnish information. "Quite a pleasant dinner, but just as events were winding down...a body was dropped--yes, literally dropped--through an auditorium window! The unfortunate, we later learned, was supposedly a victim of someone or some group referring to itself as the "Cult of Anubis" and warning us not to pursue our expedition, on pain of our very lives!" Charles pauses for dramatic effect, and also to observe the effect the narrative so far is having on his audience.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:57:50 AM): [Sense Motive]
Nathan of the FoS (1:57:57 AM): 18
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:57:59 AM): [....and Diplomacy]
Nathan of the FoS (1:58:23 AM): ahahahahahaaaaaa...that would be a 34, kemosabe
Nathan of the FoS (1:58:56 AM): natural 20 ftw!
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:59:10 AM): [Lucky guy.... Alrighty, Bertran is looking interested despite himself, and Bertriz looks like she wouldn't mind dragging Charles off into the bushes for a bit.]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:01:10 AM): "Well now..." Bertran raised an eyebrow. Bertriz looked at Charles with an appraising look in her eye. "And yet you're still going? You must all be very brave."
Nathan of the FoS (2:10:18 AM): Charles is pleased to note that the twins are proving to be a receptive audience--in fact, he's not quite sure that Bertriz isn't looking a bit too receptive. Warming to his task, he says, "Well, m'selle, I think I can say for all the Expedition members that it would be too bad to be dissuaded from our purpose merely by some unknown person breathing out 'threatenings and slaughter'. However, the evening held further drama in store for us. I saw that the unfortunate who had been so rudely interjected into our soiree had been hanged--beneath the arms, m'selle, not at the neck--and thrown from the roof; surmising that the person who had done the deed must be there still, I hastened to the roof to see if the miscreant could be detected and apprehended, together with several of my comrades. We there discovered a creature dressed in a jackal-mask, in imitation of the Akiri god Anubis, who gave us battle there on the rooftop. Imagine, if you will, the scene--a rooftop in the howling rain, the murderous cultist invoking horrible arcana against us, and our own struggle to overcome its magicks and kill or capture this thing which had already done murder! By our combined efforts we caused it to loose the ankh which it held and which was the focus of its arcane power, and it fled the scene by dissolving into a pile of sand..."
Nathan of the FoS (2:11:42 AM): After allowing a suitable pause for this narrative to take full effect, Charles continues easily, "You can imagine it was quite the nine-day's-wonder in Port-a-Lucine; the gossips may still be talking of nothing else!"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:12:56 AM): Bertriz grimaces. "Nothing so exciting *ever* happens in Pont-a-Museau.... Just silly noble intrigues, the usual."
Nathan of the FoS (2:18:56 AM): "Take heart, m'selle," Charles replies. "The intrigues of the day may coalesce into some event of greater moment at any time! But what are the usual intrigues? As a foreigner I would hate to intrude into some great scheme like a bumblebee blundering into a spider's delicate web...such a thing is unfortunate for all concerned!"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:22:33 AM): Bertriz fanned herself delicately, still disconcertingly focused on Charles. It was Bertran who contributed this time, somewhat to Martel's surprise. "Oh there are some of the old stand-bys, the usual. Aunt Louise and Aunt Jacqueline are sniping away as usual, and I hear Arnaud is trying to secure a more formal-patronage for his guild, and I think Raimond is trying to win the hand of the lovely Delphine. And of course Sebastian is back, which will throw poor Raimond into panic, he's always been nervous. And I do believe Cecile is trying to seduce her way into an estate, but that really is a rather sordid tale."
Nathan of the FoS (2:24:27 AM): knowledge local=21 for an idea of who these people are
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:24:43 AM): One for each person.
Nathan of the FoS (2:28:13 AM): k...in the order listed, louise=21 (from before), jackie=31 (nat 20 again! never rains but it pours), Arnaud=25, raimond=27, delphine=30, cecile=12 (natural 1 as the system corrects itself)
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:30:17 AM): [Louise is Louise Renier, prominent sister, not wholly on good terms with Jacqueline Renier, the Grand Dame and virtual ruler of Richemulot. Arnaud is an officious busy-body kind of person, very interested in the guilds, while Raimond, as you recall, is a slightly down-at-the-heels nobleman, very sauve, very handsome, hasn't two coppers to rub together. Delphine is Delphine Marchand-Renier, the Professor's baby sister, and Cecile you've never met.]
Nathan of the FoS (2:33:33 AM): "I suppose all stories involving money and seduction are," Charles murmurs. "But why would the professor's coming here discommode Raimond? It's not as if he's planning to stay..."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:35:12 AM): "Well now, it depends." Bertriz explained very practically. "So long as the Professor is off somewhere and Raimond is here, well then, Raimond has a chance of persuading the elder Marchand to make him the designate heir, particularly if he marries Delphine. But if Sebastian is here..."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:35:35 AM): "Myself, I think Raimond underestimates Delphine, no get of the Merchant's can be a fool." Bertran contributed.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:36:04 AM): "You see, Raimond, is.. well," Bertriz made a little face. "He's not the sharpest fellow around, I think he's in for a fall."
Nathan of the FoS (2:38:42 AM): "How unfortunate," Charles says, in a tone of voice which conveys a near-perfect lack of sympathy for the soon-to-fall Raimond. "But surely the word of la grand dame rules all, in the end? If she takes the professor's part, would it even matter if he were actually here, rather than in Port-a-Lucine, or...Har'Akir, or wherever the winds of fortune may take him?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:41:35 AM): "Oh certainly, but Aunt Louise has been taking Raimond under her wing these days. She loathes Sebastian, ever since that incident a few years ago. And Aunt Jacqueline might not want the estate going to someone who's not even lived in Richemulot for years."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:41:49 AM): (That was Bertriz)
Nathan of the FoS (2:43:28 AM): "So why back Raimond, if he's riding for a fall?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:45:08 AM): "Haven't the foggiest," Bertran commented frankly. "But if I was a betting man... Raimond's been with Louise every so often." The blond young man made a finger -twiddling gesture with his hand. [Sense Motive]
Nathan of the FoS (2:45:45 AM): 28, hooray! finally chaz follows the undertones of the conversation!
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:46:41 AM): [Louise has a slight reputation as a sorceress, and that's the universal gesture for spell weaving. In this case, probably a Charm spell or some such.]
Nathan of the FoS (2:46:56 AM): "And if neither Raimond nor Sebastian takes the prize, to whom would it fall?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:47:27 AM): Bertriz thought for a second. "Not quite sure... probably to Marchand's relatives, and out of Renier hands."
Nathan of the FoS (2:49:34 AM): "A pity, that," Charles says. "One wonders why the professor is so obdurate in his removal to Dementlieu when so much awaits him here; but family matters are always complex. Speaking of which, I was hoping to present my thanks to our hostess for her hospitality; do you know where I might find her to pay my compliments?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:50:26 AM): "I do believe that's Herself speaking with Sebastian right now..." Bertriz's eyes took on an amused glitter. "Lets introduce you, shall we?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:50:38 AM): [And this is where we end for the evening, it's nearly 3 AM over here]
Nathan of the FoS (2:50:50 AM): "I would be delighted," Charles replies.
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:34:54 PM): Bertriz and Bertran Renier lead the way, parting the crowd like a pair of blond-prowed ships, till they reached La Grand Dame and Prof. Marchand-Renier, Charles trailing behind them like a curious and mildly out of place puppet. Lady Jacqueline Renier looked years younger than the Prof., with a stunning, exotic beauty, and accented by a bewitching pair of gold-flecked green eyes. Even Prof. Marchand-Renier, usually so self-assured in his sable style, seemed drab compared to her.
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:35:43 PM): The two conversationalists noticed Charles and the twins at the same time. Marchand-Renier introduced Charles. "A student of mine, and one who shows great promise in the world of mathematics, and has proven...capable, in the realm of languages."
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:35:58 PM): "I have hopes for him yet, Aunt Jacqueline."
Nathan of the FoS (10:39:15 PM): "Professor Marchand-Renier is very kind, madame," Charles says, smiling. "Especially in having invited me tonight. I am honored, and gratified, to meet so great a lady." As he speaks he takes her hand and bestows the obligatory kiss on it, again with the appropriate mix of enthusiasm and decorum.
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:40:55 PM): "Charmed...." Lady Renier looked curiously at Charles, examining him carefully and quickly before flashing a beautiful smile. "Tell me, Martel, I believe it is? What do you make of our lovely city?"
Nathan of the FoS (10:44:58 PM): "It is quite striking, madame," Charles says. "You know, of course, how difficult it is for a Dementliuese to praise any place above his own home, and yet the architecture and the vistas of the city are such that they demand to be recognized as...let me say, equals--to those of Port-a-Lucine. And unlike that city, beautiful though it is, enviably free of congestion and crowding."
Nathan of the FoS (10:46:56 PM): [Charles is going to do his best to get an idea of the relationship between Jackie and MR as the conversation progresses--that's one of the things he wants most out of this interaction]
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:47:13 PM): "Oh, but you have the Bay, with all of its splendor. I imagine that the sun striking upon the water must be quite enchanting, the Musarde can't quite compare." Lady Renier smiled again.
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:49:01 PM): "Yes, the smell of dead fish is quite lovely." Marchand-Renier drawled, an odd glimmer in his eye. Jacqueline cast him a glance and he looked a little sheepish.
Nathan of the FoS (10:50:44 PM): "It is true, madame; the ocean view is a very pleasing prospect. As for the smell of fish..." Charles shrugs. "The professor's nose is better than mine. But the ocean is itself so grand as to rather overshadow the city itself; in that sense the Musarde may be a more pleasing complement to the works of man than is the Bay."
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:52:29 PM): "You could learn from this student, Sebastian." Jacqueline murmurs. Marchand-Renier seemed unfazed by this. "We all have our skills, Aunt Jacqueline. Charles here is the son of former consul to both Nova Vaasa and Hazlan, and a very well-traveled fellow."
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:52:43 PM): "Diplomacy is in his blood, one might say."
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:52:56 PM): "Really now..." Jacqueline cast a more speculative look at Charles.
Nathan of the FoS (10:56:08 PM): "I cannot deny it," Charles says, smiling again. "I am not actively engaged in the family trade, being a mathematician both by inclination and training, but the apple never falls far from the tree, and I, too, have my share of wanderlust--as witnessed by our current expedition. In fact, I had the pleasure of summering in Ste. Ronges two years ago--a delightful occasion."
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:56:32 PM): [Sense Motive]
Nathan of the FoS (10:57:37 PM): hmph. 16
Nathan of the FoS (10:58:01 PM): i should've scrapped these fighting feats and taken Negotiator.
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:58:13 PM): Yes, you should've.
Nathan of the FoS (10:58:33 PM): well, can't say i wasn't warned
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:59:10 PM): || Lady Jacqueline raised an eyebrow. "And how did you enjoy your stay in Ste. Ronges?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (10:59:38 PM): "I trust my relatives didn't leave you with too poor an impression of our little realm."
Nathan of the FoS (11:01:49 PM): "Oh, I enjoyed it very well," Charles says. "It was to have been a celebratory progress of sorts after I took my First in mathematics, but the charms of the city were too much for me, and I ended by spending all of my allotted time here in...well, the pursuits of youth, madame."
Nathan of the FoS (11:02:06 PM): ooc: before you post
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:02:18 PM): (?)
Nathan of the FoS (11:03:23 PM): Chaz was going to continue on to Borca, but his plans were disrupted by having shot the Borcan student (who i need to give a name and a reason for shooting...h'm...) and so he didn't make the rest of the trip, he just slummed around in Ste. Ronges and made a rather alarming amount of money gambling
Nathan of the FoS (11:03:46 PM): jackie and/or m-r might know something about this
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:04:38 PM): Jacqueline laughed, a light sound like silver bells. "At least you are honest. A mathematical quirk?" Marchand-Renier looked a touch strained.
Nathan of the FoS (11:07:06 PM): "Deception is so much easier to maintain when it is merely a leaven in the loaf of truth, madame," Charles replies, not quite smiling.
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:09:15 PM): "Really now...?" Jacqueline leaned in ever so slightly towards Charles. "And you have had so very much experience with deception?"
Nathan of the FoS (11:13:05 PM): "Altogether too much, madame," he says, sighing and shaking his head. "I suppose the professor will have told you that I have undertaken the study of cryptography; I assure you, madame, it is a pursuit which would entirely disabuse you of the notion that honesty could ever be a mathematical quirk. Still, at the core of every deception there lies a truth, ne c'est pas?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:14:55 PM): "Unless, of course, the core of the deception is mere deception, and you follow it until you've met yourself coming back." Marchand-Renier smiled thinly. "It's happened once or twice to me."
Nathan of the FoS (11:19:58 PM): "An uncanny sensation," Charles allows. "But if all deceptions are--forgive a mathematical expression--a negative space, the region which they do not enter must, in some way, define the truth..." Shrugging, he says, "But now I may have ventured into philosophy, which is not my metier."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:21:24 PM): "Oh, you do not do so very badly..." Jacqueline murmurs, though her eyes are on Marchand-Renier. The Professor bowed. "I do believe we have monopolized enough of your time, Aunt Jacqueline. I shall be sure to send you a mummy as a gift upon my return."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:21:46 PM): "Yes... do." La Grand Dame commented drily.
Nathan of the FoS (11:23:49 PM): Charles watches this exchange and allows a carefully calibrated amount of amusement to cross his features at the noblewoman's response. "Your most humble and obedient servant always, madame," he says, bowing as he steps away.
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:25:47 PM): Charles and Prof. Marchand-Renier departed a bit away, Lady Renier promptly being snatched up by another relative. "I believe, Martel, that now is the time for us to make our graceful exit."
Nathan of the FoS (11:26:48 PM): "As you wish, Professor," Charles says. "Thank you for your kind invitation; a very pleasant evening, to be sure."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:27:43 PM): "Undoubtedly." Marchand-Renier murmurred as the two of you departed for the garden and the carriage. "So tell me, did you learn enough to assuage your curiosity?" [Spot Check]
Nathan of the FoS (11:28:48 PM): 26
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:29:50 PM): [That nice driver fellow? The guy in the cloak and hat and holding the reins to the horses while you guys are all alone in a dark garden? He's not the same nice driver fellow who drove you here.]
Nathan of the FoS (11:34:59 PM): Charles bends to adjust the fit of his boots, fussing with them for a moment before stepping up to the carriage. "Oh, yes," he says, standing and brushing at his sleeves. "It was quite like old times, real Richemuloise intrigue on every hand."
Nathan of the FoS (11:36:24 PM): [sleight of hand 14 to check the boot knife and wrist sheath are ready for action]
Nathan of the FoS (11:36:46 PM): *sigh* dagnabbit
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:38:55 PM): Marchand-Renier frowned a little, looking at Charles, then apparently put it out of his mind and opened the door to the carriage, getting inside. "I'm sure you've many a tale to tell me regarding your adventures." He commented drily.
Nathan of the FoS (11:40:53 PM): "Oh, they were much of a sort," Charles replies, stepping up after him. "Amusing enough at the time, but perhaps not enlivening to recount, or even to recall. Although the time we smuggled a small caiman into the Delacroix's goldfish pond was rather memorable."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:42:30 PM): "I am tempted to ask where you acquired a small caiman, but I think I've met enough students to know your ingenuity at troublemaking." Marchand-Renier gave a slight, reminiscent smile as the carriage moved forward.
Nathan of the FoS (11:43:57 PM): "I was told it came from a sewer there in the city, although I'm not sure I believe the tale," Charles replies, shrugging. "I wasn't there when it was first obtained, although I was, I confess, instrumental in its ultimate disposal."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:45:06 PM): "You know, you never mentioned that you had passed through Richemulot, I don't believe." Marchand-Renier remarked idly. [Sense Motive]
Nathan of the FoS (11:46:39 PM): 27 w00t!
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:47:04 PM): [Renier is *badly* shaken about something. He looks calm and collected, but you get the feeling he's fighting off panic.]
Nathan of the FoS (11:48:29 PM): "Didn't I?" Charles says. "I suppose not." His air would give the impression that he considers both the visit and the omission too trifling and incidental to have deserved comment.
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:50:15 PM): "No.... I don't think you did." Marchand-Renier continued speaking idly. "A minor omission, I suppose."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:51:17 PM): "Except for the fact that Aunt Louise maintains a home there." Suddenly, Marchand-Renier drew a pistol from his vest pocket and aimed it a few inches from Charles's face. "How much is Louise paying you, hmm?"
Nathan of the FoS (11:57:09 PM): Charles leans back his head and laughs. "Come now, Professor, the air of Richemulot has affected your senses," he says chidingly. "Not every corner conceals a conspiracy, although I can see how growing up here you might think otherwise."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:57:58 PM): "Yes, yes, very droll. And mathematicians carry concealed weapons because the grading at the University is remarkably harsh."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:58:49 PM): [You were complaining that no one had noticed....]
Nathan of the FoS (11:58:50 PM): "And professors likewise, because they grade so harshly," Charles says, raising one eyebrow.
Nathan of the FoS (11:59:40 PM): [if MR looks distracted enough at any time, Chaz will hit his wrist with his left hand while drawing the dagger at his waist with his right]
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:02:11 AM): "Occupational hazard." Marchand-Renier smiled thinly. "I'd really rather this didn't come to this, but I'm not so naive as to say that if it comes down between you an----" Suddenly the carriage drew to a rattling halt. "What's this?" [Now's your chance]
Nathan of the FoS (12:03:26 AM): attack roll 19 to hit his wrist, quick draw for the dagger
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:05:27 AM): The report of the pistol was mind-numbingly loud in the enclosed carriage, nearly deafening both combatants. Marchand-Renier struggled to bring his pistol around, but in the small carriage there was no chance to reload.
Nathan of the FoS (12:08:57 AM): And then the dagger was at his eye. "Throw the gun out of the window, Professor," Charles said quietly. "And
Nathan of the FoS (12:09:02 AM): ack
Nathan of the FoS (12:09:05 AM): pre-post
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:09:11 AM): [Wait, pause]
Nathan of the FoS (12:09:27 AM): ...k, what's up?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:10:34 AM): "Throw the gun out of the window, Professor, and---" Suddenly, as Charles was in mid-order, the carriage-door behind Marchand-Renier opened. It was the coachman. Only now that Charles got a better look at the dark figure, he saw that coachman was slightly inappropriate. Coach-were-rat, was a closer guess.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:10:44 AM): [We are now in a combat situation. Charles, your move.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:14:10 AM): Charles grabs the Professor by the collar with his free hand and throws him into the wererat-coachman, then leaps through the door on the other side. (attack 20, Str check 12, move action using Tumble untrained to get out and land on his feet 13)
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:16:10 AM): [Hit with the attack with the professor, you'd need a Str check to see if you break the door.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:16:31 AM): ...it's locked?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:17:01 AM): [No, but you're not taking the time to try and find a handle and pull it, that'd take a move action.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:17:27 AM): roll is a 9
Nathan of the FoS (12:17:34 AM): hope it's not a strong door
Nathan of the FoS (12:17:52 AM): they're push doors anyway, aren't they?
Nathan of the FoS (12:17:58 AM): from the inside, anyway?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:18:12 AM): [yep, but strong enough that someone can't break out on a notably jouncy carriage ride.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:18:26 AM): *shrug* k
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:20:27 AM): The professor stumbled into the wererat, while Charles rammed his shoulder against the carriage door, to no avail. The lycanthrope overbalanced, falling backwards, tangled in a heap with Marchand-Renier. Finally, it managed to throw the professor off, tossing him onto the stones beside it. The Prof. groaned and tried to stand, searching for his pistol. It was back in the carriage.
Nathan of the FoS (12:21:03 AM): If Charles sees it, he'd sure like to have that pistol
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:21:15 AM): It's on the seat. Your move.
Nathan of the FoS (12:26:43 AM): grab the pistol, move action to depart the carriage on the far side, look around to figure where the heck we've gotten to (presumably a free action?). If I know where we are in relation to the boat, run in that direction; if not, out with a pistol of my own and conversation.
Nathan of the FoS (12:27:05 AM): i would like to remind you that you said NPCs were also 5th level equivalent in book 2...
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:27:11 AM): Yep
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:27:41 AM): You are in the middle of bloody nowhere, far as you can understand.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:28:03 AM): Some tiny cul-de-sac in the backstreets of Pont-a-Museau, with of course all the houses abandoned.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:29:08 AM): End of your move, I presume
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:29:09 AM): ?
Nathan of the FoS (12:29:35 AM): Is Marchand-Renier's pistol a two-shot model?
Nathan of the FoS (12:29:45 AM): or would Chaz have to reload it?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:29:52 AM): You'd need to reload it.
Nathan of the FoS (12:29:54 AM): k
Nathan of the FoS (12:30:12 AM): I'll throw it away and draw both Chaz's pistols when I get out
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:31:39 AM): Charles stumbled out the far side of the carriage just in time to hear Marchand-Renier's voice call out, "Stay back, I'm warning you! Oh Hells.." There was an unpleasantly moist, bubbling hissing sound. [Your move.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:34:33 AM): knowledge (local) for the general street plan of Pont-a-Museau 26; if i enter the house or a yard here in the cul-de-sac (assuming i ended up in the cul de sac and they're on the street itself) will i be able to get to a different street or be cornered?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:35:56 AM): [About a fifty-fifty chance either way. Pont-a-Museau is *very* confusing, particularly at night.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:36:06 AM): *sigh* figures
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:36:21 AM): [They don't seem to be following you however.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:37:21 AM): Charles will take him at his word; he'll try to move to somewhere where he can see what's happening without getting any closer to the two, and somewhere where he's got open road behind him.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:39:47 AM): The scene greeting Charles as he edged around the carriage was a rather peculiar one. Professor Marchand-Renier had a dagger out, one that gleamed rather brightly in the moonlight. A dozen feet in front of him, the wererat stood, having abandoned its false clothing, and appeared to be taunting him, creating little orbs of acid and tossing them at Marchand-Renier. The professor's shoulder smoked unnaturally.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:40:13 AM): There wererat did not seem to notice Charles at the moment.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:40:54 AM): [Basically, in a line, there's Marchand facing the wererat, and Chaz about twenty feet behind the wererat's back.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:41:34 AM): Charles will fire both pistols into the wererat's back.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:42:00 AM): [You could probably make a clean getaway if you leave M-R]
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:42:12 AM): [Attack rolls, if you so wish.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:42:23 AM): yeah, but this will be more fun
Nathan of the FoS (12:42:34 AM): and much more confusing to MR
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:42:44 AM): [ Alrighty, do the shooty business on the were-rat.]
Nathan of the FoS (12:43:03 AM): 17, 19
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:43:12 AM): one hit, one miss.
Nathan of the FoS (12:43:15 AM): both eligible for sneak attack damage, whee!
Nathan of the FoS (12:45:56 AM): 1d8 +3d6 gives 8 plus 8 for 16 damage
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:46:05 AM): [Regular bullets?]
Nathan of the FoS (12:46:08 AM): yep
Nathan of the FoS (12:46:16 AM): forgot to say otherwise, so yep
Nathan of the FoS (12:46:18 AM):
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:46:58 AM): The bullet slams into the wererat's back, making it scream out in pain, an unnatural cry of agony that pierced the night. The sheer, dumbfounded expression on Marchand-Renier's face was something Charles would treasure till his dying day.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:47:48 AM): The wererat turned to Charles, flicking its head between the person who actually hurt it and its target. Making a decision, it charged for Charles.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:48:20 AM): [What's your AC?]
Nathan of the FoS (12:48:23 AM): Drop the pistols, free action to draw the rapier and the belt dagger
Nathan of the FoS (12:48:24 AM): 16
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:49:03 AM): The wererat barreled towards Charles, slashing at him withs its jaws, trying to draw blood, and managing to miss quite completely.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:49:09 AM): [Your move]
Nathan of the FoS (12:50:17 AM): full attack
Nathan of the FoS (12:50:32 AM): tsk, 6 and 12 (rapier first)
Nathan of the FoS (12:50:38 AM): both miss i presume
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:50:50 AM): Yeup
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:51:04 AM): Now Mr. Ratsy does the same.
Nathan of the FoS (12:51:16 AM): if MR does a bunk i'm short-sheeting his bed tonight
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:52:10 AM): And the wererat manages to hit with every attack, dealing a total of 12 damage. Roll a Fort save as it tears into you.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:52:29 AM): Or rather, I'll roll the fort save.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:52:36 AM): Maintain the suspense.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:52:43 AM): Whats your save?
Nathan of the FoS (12:52:58 AM): +3
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:53:05 AM): *nods* Very good, proceed.
Nathan of the FoS (12:53:31 AM): full attack again, keeping an eye out for MR (boy, it would be nice if he would flank this thing)
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:54:07 AM): At the moment, MR has retrieved his pistol and is trying to load it.
Nathan of the FoS (12:54:15 AM): *rolls eyes*
Nathan of the FoS (12:55:15 AM): btw, could you check that last attack roll? i think it may have been two d10 (that's what the roller log showed when i hit the "back" button, which would explain in part why that went so badly...)
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:55:27 AM): 16 and 11
Nathan of the FoS (12:55:36 AM): before that
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:55:43 AM): ....yep
Nathan of the FoS (12:55:54 AM): that gives 21 and 16 this time
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:56:01 AM): one hit.
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:02 AM): may i re-roll the previous, please?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:56:06 AM): Alrighty
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:56:32 AM): o_o
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:38 AM): no kiddin'
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:45 AM): quite the reversal
Nathan of the FoS (12:56:56 AM): roll to confirm critical?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:57:00 AM): Be my guest.
Nathan of the FoS (12:57:24 AM): eh, no crit
Nathan of the FoS (12:57:33 AM): but still, two hits (25, 20)
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:57:37 AM): Roll two damages.
Nathan of the FoS (12:58:50 AM): 4 and 2
Nathan of the FoS (12:59:03 AM): this ain't making much of an impression, is it?
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:59:12 AM): It might be dying of laughter.
Nathan of the FoS (12:59:21 AM): *grinds teeth*
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:59:26 AM): You can roll once more for your last round.
Nathan of the FoS (12:59:27 AM): k
Nathan of the FoS (12:59:47 AM): 6
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:59:51 AM): *nods*
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:59:55 AM): You wound it.
Nathan of the FoS (1:00:04 AM): *shakes head*
Nathan of the FoS (1:02:19 AM): question...for the first attack roll, did i get the "flat-footed" bonus (not a bonus, he doesn't get his dex bonus to ac, but you know what i mean)
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:02:41 AM): [Oh bugger...] Suddenly, there is loud explosion as a bullet rips through the wererat at point blank range, Marchand-Renier running up with his gleaming dagger in his other hand. There wererat tossed another little orb of acid, managing to miss entirely.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:03:12 AM): [It's flanked, just kill the thing, it's at under a quarter HP]
Nathan of the FoS (1:03:21 AM): i'll do my best...
Nathan of the FoS (1:04:16 AM): 26, critical threat with the rapier, 18 with the dagger
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:04:29 AM): Both hit, confirm please.
Nathan of the FoS (1:04:51 AM): 14
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:05:07 AM): [not confirmed. Roll damage+sneak attack]
Nathan of the FoS (1:05:53 AM): 16 with the rapier
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:06:06 AM): Okay, you just killed it. Completely.
Nathan of the FoS (1:06:09 AM): k
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:06:18 AM): That didn't go quite so well..... <_<Nathan>_<
Nathan of the FoS (1:07:55 AM): can i get a rebate on that lycanthropy?
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:08:04 AM): You made your save anyway.
Nathan of the FoS (1:08:11 AM): hurrah!
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:08:19 AM): Okay, we'll just say it didn't hit you with the bite.
Nathan of the FoS (1:08:34 AM): now, for a little dressing down for the professor
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:08:46 AM): Damnation.... I was kind of looking forward to torturing Chaz with the possibility of turning into a rat at any moment.
Nathan of the FoS (1:09:07 AM): sometimes the rat gets you...sometimes, you gets the rat.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:09:24 AM): Alrighty, let's try and get back to the drama.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:09:28 AM): *ahem*
Nathan of the FoS (1:10:05 AM): "Reluctant as I am to intrude on a family dispute," Charles says, "sometimes these things are forcibly drawn to one's attention."
Nathan of the FoS (1:10:51 AM): brb
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:11:00 AM): The wererat, its heart pierced by Charles's blade, shuddered once, and as it died, it transformed back into a small, naked human. Marchand-Renier nudged the body with his toe. "Raimond, you bloody idiot."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:11:41 AM): "Now, if you don't mind me asking, if you aren't an assassin sent by my beloved aunt, who are you?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:17:08 AM): Charles rolls his eyes. "Professor," he says, cleaning his blade on the unfortunate's shirt and sheathing it, "the mere fact that you remain in ignorance discouraged further confidence. Allow me to say that nothing about this evening has redounded very greatly to your credit; you have assaulted your friends, ignored your enemies, and exposed your own position so thoroughly that I begin to fear the vaunted Richemuloise aptitude for intrigue is a mere canard. Do we leave this fellow lying in the street as a warning to future potential miscreants, or ensure him of a more private final rest?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:20:18 AM): "Pont-a-Museau has its own removal systems. Just help me drag him to a corner." Marchand-Renier hooked the dead lycanthrope by a foot and started to drag him off. "Yes, yes, I'm sure you feel very proud of yourself."
Nathan of the FoS (1:25:02 AM): Charles takes the other leg and pulls as well. "If it will settle your mind, professor...one can do all sorts of things in Ste. Ronges, if given a full summer." (bluff 17 to hint that Chaz has Richemuloise connections to people other than Louise Renier--not a full-out lie, since he knows Dementlieuse agents)
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:26:44 AM): "I can imagine." Marchand-Renier dumped the hapless assassin into a storm-drain. "The rats can have a good meal. Now, I presume that regardless of what I ask, I'll get no straight answer from you?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:27:26 AM): "You may begin to notice why I fit poorly in Pont-a-Museau...."
Nathan of the FoS (1:28:02 AM): "When in Richemulot, do as the Richemuloise do," Charles replies. "Really, Professor, I've saved your life and your reputation this evening; surely it's poor manners to continue with this inquistion?"
Nathan of the FoS (1:28:34 AM): (this last given in a friendly, remonstrative, man-to-man tone)
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:30:17 AM): "Quite." Marchand-Renier raised an eyebrow. "Very well then, may I propose a bargain? We each keep one another's little secrets, and we all forget this unfortunate night *ever* happened."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:30:38 AM): Marchand-Renier rubbed his singed shoulder. "Though how I'm going to explain this to the priest is an interesting question."
Nathan of the FoS (1:33:36 AM): "Of course," Charles replies. "Tell him...oh, the devil, don't tell him anything. I've got something you can put on that when we get back."
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Kaitou Kage (11:52:40 PM): After unloading, and a brief chat with Dieter, Kuzan came down to the common room of the inn for dinner. After getting his food, he glanced around the room and, spying Sam, walked on over to the Borcan. "Hey," he said, "Mind if I join you?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:53:42 PM): Samael was going over the last of the checklist for what he needed to buy. Lots of horse feed, mostly. He looked up as Kuzan walked over. "Hmm....? Oh, yes, sure."
Kaitou Kage (11:55:17 PM): Kuzan slid easily into the seat across from Sam and started eating. He was quite hungry, but travel had that impact on people. In moments, he already finished half of his meal and finally paused to wash it down. "So," he said around a mouthful of food, "This is Immol, huh? That place you mentioned the other day?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:56:09 PM): "Immol... closest thing Barovia has to civilization and bright lights." Samael smiled sourly. "Trading town with Hazlan, we'll be crossing the border tomorrow."
Kaitou Kage (11:56:50 PM): "This place have the same prohibition about going out after dark?" the priest wondered.
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:57:37 PM): "Some.... it's laxer, but still pretty quiet after sundown."
Kaitou Kage (11:58:50 PM): "Uh-huh," Kuzan ate another bite, "You mentioned something the other day that I figure would keep us up past dark."
NeoTiamat(DM) (11:59:32 PM): "Oh...?" A small smile creeped up Samael's face, although he did his noble best to look stern and forboding. Didn't quite work. "I did...?"
Kaitou Kage (12:01:02 AM): Kuzan flashed a dubious expression at Sam. "You did. Must not be too bad, though. I can't see our Fearless Leader leading us astray."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:02:49 AM): "Maaaaaaybe...." Samael tapped the side of his long, weasel-like nose, now smiling. "Let's say I did. I take it you want to sample the Barovian nightlife? Or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof?"
Kaitou Kage (12:03:35 AM): Kuzan replied with an equally coy grin. "I'm just curious what you have in mind," he said with mock-innocence
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:05:38 AM): "Weeeell...." Samael leaned back in his chair. "I was thinking of finishing these accounts, then heading out for a drink or two. Maybe Michel will come along, maybe Jervis. A few drinks.... and who knows what might happen...?" The Borcan winked. "Interested, Pere?"
Kaitou Kage (12:05:56 AM): Kuzan chuckled. "All right. Should I get Dieter, too?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:06:36 AM): "I think one innocent to debauch is enough for one night."
Kaitou Kage (12:07:03 AM): Kuzan laughed. "Innocent, huh? I never knew your Corelander ways were so fiendish."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:08:02 AM): "Just listen to some of my ex-flames, you'll think I've horns and a tail." Samael was grinning openly now, although he still scribbled notes on the ledger.
Kaitou Kage (12:08:52 AM): "You? Never." Kuzan finished his food and stood up. "All right," he said, "I'll go get ready and meet you guys when we're set to go."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:09:46 AM): "See you in an hour then." Samael nodded and returned to his papers. As he left, Kuzan heard him muttering. "Carry the three..."
Kaitou Kage (12:10:47 AM): An hour later, Kuzan came back down to the common room, seeking the others. He didn't look particularly different, really. Same style shirt he always wore -- that unusual, wrap-around affair, same bluish and grey colors
Kaitou Kage (12:12:30 AM): ( Posted in PS, btw )
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:12:31 AM): Samael, for his part, looked as black and sleek as he usually did, and beside the two Jervis looked rather drab, which Kuzan briefly wondered if it wasn't the point. The Borcan nodded. "Guy apparently didn't quite look to see what he was drinking, so Michel is keeping him company while he stops seeing things."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:12:36 AM): [Aha, k]
Kaitou Kage (12:13:49 AM): After the events at Ravnika, Kuzan felt a little...out of sorts around the surly man. But hopefully, Sam'd keep him under wraps. So, the priest put on his best smile and nodded. "Too bad, sounds like he would've enjoyed this. But things happen. Shall we?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:15:30 AM): "A brilliant motion, and passed by general acclaim." Samael announced. Jervis grunted in response, and the Borcan rolled his eyes in good-natured exasperation.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:17:28 AM): "Where's the tavern you mentioned?" Samael asked as the trio exited into the evening streets of Immol. Immol was a nice place, really, and it had a certain earnestness Kuzan hadn't seen since Chateaufaux. Immol was not an old city like Tvashtri, weighed down with eons of history, nor was it a sophisticated, elite locale like Port-a-Lucine. It was a trading town, with merchants and money in the air.
Kaitou Kage (12:20:03 AM): Kuzan walked along beside Sam, looking about at the city, really taking it in now that he was "out on the town." It was interesting how a city could be so much more than big buildings and lots of people. It felt so different from home, giving Kuzan both an exhilirated and homesick feel at the same time. He waited quietly for the direction.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:21:08 AM): "This way." Jervis said silently, and headed down the town streets almost like a native. Samael followed along, a smooth, silken step to the mercenary's more determined one.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:23:39 AM): The taverna was a smallish, seedy-looking place on the outside, a wooden building painted a cheery yellow that was perhaps just a bit too old and chipped. A carved sign proclaimed it the Count's Grape, with a carving of what could only be the stern visage of Count Strahd von Zarovich I, hero of yester-year, with a glass of wine. Kuzan recognized it from the statue back in Ravnika. Cheerful yells came from within the taverna.
Kaitou Kage (12:25:01 AM): Kuzan raised an eyebrow, looking rather uncertain. He'd been in seedy bars before with other sailors, but he doubted an image of the High Priest of Kali holding a mug of drink would go over very wekk.
Kaitou Kage (12:25:03 AM): well^
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:25:55 AM): "This is it?" Samael said just a touch dubiously. Jervis nodded, never one to waste words, and with a shrug, Samael led the way into the tavern.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:27:41 AM): Inside, it was a cheerful madhouse. At least two dozen people were in the common room, drinking and laughing, while a short, blond man with a fiddle set a cheery tune to which a young woman danced. The bartender, or rather, bartender-ess, was another woman, a beautiful, crimson-haired lass in her mid-twenties, who joked and traded snide insults with her patrons.
Kaitou Kage (12:28:20 AM): "Heh," Kuzan said, taking in the scene, "This isn't so bad. I've been in worse on the wharfs."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:29:43 AM): "Not quite the Club Grande, but it'll do." Samael ducked under the weaving arm of one drunkenly dancing patron and sat by the bar. "A glass of red wine, if you will, madame." Jervis just nodded and said quietly. "Same."
Kaitou Kage (12:32:28 AM): Though, really, it did strike the priest as a little odd that Jervis, of all people, was ordering red wine.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:32:52 AM):
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:33:32 AM): The red-haired woman turned to Kuzan. "And you stranger? My word... you're not a local, I don't think."
Kaitou Kage (12:35:06 AM): Kuzan scratched his head and smiled, looking a teensy bit flustered. "Er, no," he replied, "I'm with these two. We're traveling through, decided to stop in this city for the night."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:35:57 AM): "Really now..." The bartenderess looked at Jervis and Samael again, and her eyes narrowed. "You again..."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:36:11 AM): Jervis grunted. "Hello Ruby."
Kaitou Kage (12:36:27 AM): Kuzan looked on thoughtfully and began to debate if he should've said who he was with.
Kaitou Kage (12:36:35 AM): "You two know each other?" he asked.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:38:10 AM): "Do we ever... this layabout was a regular of the Grape for about what, three years?" Ruby asked, her name clearly a nickname bestowed due to her crimson hair. It was the brightest red Kuzan had ever seen, and went down to her waist. "Where'd you run off to, anyway? You still owe me a bar-tab, you know."
Kaitou Kage (12:38:51 AM): Kuzan glanced questioningly at Sam as he listened.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:38:54 AM): "I'll be quite glad to pay Jervis's tab, Madamouselle..." Samael said mildly, placing a few coins on the counter. [Sense Motive]
Kaitou Kage (12:39:49 AM): ( Well, look at that. 22 )
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:40:08 AM): [Grats! Kuzan notices that Samael places just the tiniest emphasis on Jervis's name.]
Kaitou Kage (12:41:01 AM): The priest was intrigued at this little political play. It was a certain side of Sam that he never really expected. His golden eyes turned to Ruby to see how she'd take it.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:41:58 AM): "Fair enough." The bartenderess collected the money with an experienced hand. "Two wines.... and what about you, stranger? Care for a drink of something?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:42:28 AM): "I've ale, about three kinds of wine, also mead, beer, Tsuika, and that moonshine the Thaani make that burns like lightning."
Kaitou Kage (12:43:06 AM): Kuzan chuckled. "I'll have some of the wine, too, Miss," he said jovially, letting himself settle into the lighter mood of the place.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:45:00 AM): With a quick efficiency, Ruby poured out some wine for the trio, the liquid almost as red as her hair. She passed out the glasses, pausing only to yell at a patron who was getting a little *too* rowdy. "Here you are, gents. So what brings you to Immol?"
Kaitou Kage (12:46:33 AM): Kuzan sipped the wine and couldn't help but stare at the woman's hair for a bit. It was so rich and so very red. Unlike anything he'd ever seen before. Ever. It was fascinating. But Ruby's question shook him out of his fascination. "Oh, uh, we're passing through," he managed, "On our way to Hazlan, and places beyond."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:47:40 AM): "You always this articulate?" Ruby asked with an arched brow. "Granted, you're better than 'J' over here."
Kaitou Kage (12:49:06 AM): The priest chuckled a little, shaking his head. "He hasn't said much in all the weeks we've been on the road," he replied, "Sorry, sorry. I'm from far away. Seeing a lot of things here that are completely new to me. It's a lot to take in all at once."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:50:10 AM): Ruby cast a long glance at Kuzan. Jervis was even more disgruntled than usual, which was saying something, while Samael seemed to be amused by the situation. "With that outfit, not surprised. Never been out of Immol myself."
Kaitou Kage (12:51:04 AM): "This is my first trip out of my hometown, actually," he said, still smiling, "I'm from the city of Tvashtri, in far-off Sri Raji."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:52:44 AM): "Never heard of it, I'm afraid. Anywhere near Invidia?" Ruby paused and filled another customer's drink.
Kaitou Kage (12:53:31 AM): Invidia...Invidia was where again? Bloody Core domains, there're just too many of them. "Er..." He glanced to Jervis and Sam for help for a moment. "I don't think so, no. Sri Raji's across the ocean and through a Mistway."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:54:42 AM): Samael shook his head and took a sip of his wine. "A bit farther than Invidia. Just a tad."
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:55:39 AM): Ruby nodded, her eyes radiating an interest in the unknown. "An ocean... I've heard of them. Is there really that much water in the world?"
Kaitou Kage (12:57:35 AM): Kuzan was inwardly surprised. How was it that this woman didn't know the ocean? He'd grown up with it, lived with it...the open sea practically raised him. "Yeah," he said, "You've never seen it? You can go out enough that all you'll see is water on the horizon. No land at all. Just you, your ship, and the waves." A certain nostalgic look glittered in Kuzan's gold eyes.
NeoTiamat(DM) (12:58:33 AM): "You miss it?" Ruby said shrewdly, with the tone of one who had talked to a thousand drunks.
Kaitou Kage (12:59:40 AM): Kuzan finished his glass of wine, then smiled, looking into the distance. "Yeah, a little. I'm glad I have this chance to see the world, but I grew up on the ocean. I got my sea legs before I got my land legs, they said. It's like home for me."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:01:08 AM): "Lucky fellow..." Ruby's eyes sparkled in the dim light of the tavern. Suddenly she growled, and the nice young lady was gone and replaced by a tough-as-nails bartender. "Andrez! Alright, you've had enough. Hit the road."
Kaitou Kage (1:03:57 AM): Kuzan turned to glance at whoever was being chased out, then he grinned back at Ruby. "There's something familiar, though," he laughed.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:06:06 AM): "I imagine..." Ruby glared. Unfortunately... Andrez, whoever he was, did not seem to be willing to be thrown out. Kuzan was roughly shouldered aside as an ox of a Barovian leaned against the bar. Kuzan's eyes went just a bit wide. The fellow was bigger than Harris, and Kuzan, used to the smaller Sri Rajians, hadn't even thought that possible. The bear of a man slurred his words, but loomed over Ruby. "I'm not done yet. Sho shell me another drink, ahright?"
Kaitou Kage (1:11:06 AM): The priest regretted leaving his magic satchel in the room. And damnitall, Dieter was probably sneaking something into it. He leaned back and stared around the man at both Jervis and Sam. What do I do? his eyes pleaded. He'd dealt with drunks before, but not drunks this big. It was making his heart race.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:12:37 AM): Jervis was well into his fifth drink by now, having switched from wine to the Thaani stuff about halfway. Kuzan wasn't quite sure how useful the man would be in a brawl. Samael, for his part, leaned back and winked at Kuzan, his eyes flicking from Ruby to the drunk back to Kuzan. A small smile crossed Samael's lips.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:13:58 AM): "Right..." Ruby put her hands on her hips and looked up at Andrez. "Tell you what, you go home, and we forget this whole situation, sound good?" There was just the faintest tremor in her voice.
Kaitou Kage (1:15:24 AM): Kuzan watched quietly, not really getting Sam's meaning. He stared up at the Barovian, several different spells flying into his head, waiting for release. Just...see if something happened...
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:17:28 AM): Andrez leaned in closer. "But I ain't shdone yet... come on Ruby... jusht one more." The hulking Barovian extended a hand to catch Ruby's "Ahright?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:18:33 AM): "Let go of me," Ruby said, the tremor in her voice more audible now. None of the other patrons seemed to be the sort to help, and Jervis was on his way to unconsciousness, while Samael just sat back and smiled.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:18:47 AM): [We are using your last spell list, you have it?]
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:18:59 AM): [Level 0
--------
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Guidance
Guidance
Resistance

Level 1
-------

Command
Bless
Sanctuary
Hide from Undead
Longstrider*

Level 2
-------
Divine Insight
Divine Insight
Spiritual Weapon
Healing Lorecall
Binding Winds*

Level 3
-------
Prayer
Holy Storm
Ring of Blades
Call Lightning*]
Kaitou Kage (1:19:01 AM): ( Uh, which one? )
Kaitou Kage (1:19:04 AM): ( Okay. )
Kaitou Kage (1:20:57 AM): Kuzan murmured a mantra under his breath, hoping to settle this without having to resort to certain other spells. "Please let her go," Kuzan said, "You can always come back and have more tomorrow." ( Divine Insight + Diplomacy + taking 10 for a grand total of...26 )
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:23:12 AM): The unfriendly-looking drunk turned to Kuzan, his bleary eyes a bit confused as the spell-borne words wormed into his mind. "Eh.... I shuppose sho..." He turned to give Ruby a huge kiss, which she ably ducked out of, and staggered to the door.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:23:25 AM): Samael mimed applause where Ruby couldn't see.
Kaitou Kage (1:24:05 AM): Kuzan heaved a sigh of relief, and gave Sam an odd look, then turned to Ruby. "You okay?" he asked, "Looked like it'd get rough for a minute there."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:24:58 AM): "Fine... Andrez is a nice enough guy.... but he gets mean when drunk. Should've cut him off earlier." Ruby shuddered for a moment. "Thanks, thanks a lot." She arched an eyebrow. "You're pretty smooth, you know?"
Kaitou Kage (1:26:02 AM): Kuzan actually had the decency to blush. "Eh, it's nothing, really," he said abashedly, "I just didn't want to see him start trouble with you."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:26:42 AM): "Sure it wasn't..." Ruby leaned in to give Kuzan a quick kiss on the forehead. "I'll be back in a bit, take care...?"
Kaitou Kage (1:26:59 AM): "S-sure," he stammered, blushing a bit more.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:27:19 AM): Ruby moved away to tender to other patrons, and Samael mimed applause once more.
Kaitou Kage (1:27:58 AM): The priest turned to Sam and gave him a dubious look. "So, you like that, huh?" he said, not sure whether to be amused with the Borcan or not.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:28:10 AM): "Money well spent, I think."
Kaitou Kage (1:29:04 AM): Kuzan snickered softly. "Glad you're enjoying the show." He glanced over his shoulder toward Ruby. "I've never seen hair so red..."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:30:15 AM): "Mmmm.... I've seen it a time or two, but not often. Pretty impressive, on your part." Samael seemed very amused by something. "Knight in shining armor, damsel in distress.... just show up after closing and I think you'll understand Barovia."
Kaitou Kage (1:31:22 AM): Kuzan snerked. "Really, now?" he asked. He seemed tempted. But a part of his mind nagged him. She was an outsider, sure, but...was she really the type that he could consort with back home?
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:32:23 AM): Samael seemed to guess the priest's train of thought, as his soft voice continued, temptingly. "Independant businesswoman, that Ruby. And a fighter too, she'd have to be to run a bar like this..."
Kaitou Kage (1:33:19 AM): Sam was good enough at being convincing that Kuzan didn't really even notice the objections fading from his mind. He did however, give a sly grin. "You're really intent on setting me up, huh?" he asked
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:34:35 AM): "Who... me?" Samael's eyes were wide and innocent, and utterly unbelievable. Suddenly, you heard Ruby call out a closing for the bar. "You go try out, I'll take this lug back to the inn." Samael indicated the increasingly morose Jervis.
Kaitou Kage (1:36:10 AM): Kuzan gave Sam another dubious look, then settled back on his barstool, waiting patiently for Ruby to come back.
Kaitou Kage (1:36:16 AM): ( Oh lord, here comes the hard part LOL )
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:36:29 AM): [And thank you for that comment.]
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:37:32 AM): In longer than Kuzan would've liked, the bar cleared, Samael helping Jervis out very slightly. Finally, it was just Kuzan sitting at the bar, and the red-haired bartenderess. "Still here?" She asked archly.
Kaitou Kage (1:38:22 AM): Kuzan chuckled a little. "Sorry," he said, "Just not every day I see a woman running a bar. I hear you own this place yourself?" he asked.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:39:09 AM): "Lock, stock, and barrel. Inherited it from my mother." Ruby sat down behind the bar and poured herself a slug of something stiff. "Care for some? On the house."
Kaitou Kage (1:40:28 AM): Kuzan smiled. "Sure." Damn, that red hair was captivating. "So how do you handle all those rowdy drunks when strange foreigners aren't rushing in to scare them off?" he asked
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:41:26 AM): "Kick 'em in the shin usually." Ruby smiled, her eyes focused on Kuzan's. "Plus I have this beauty." Disappearing beneath the bar for a second, she brought out a heavy, spring-loaded crossbow.
Kaitou Kage (1:42:27 AM): Kuzan's eyes went wide in appreciation. "That'll scare them off for sure," he said, awed. His interest in the woman redoubled. "You've got a warrior's fire in you," he grinned, "Maybe that's why your hair's so red."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:43:59 AM): "Could be." Ruby took a fine strand of her hair between two fingers. "Never really considered it before." She knocked back a slug of the drink, then looked at Kuzan from the side of her eye. "I've got more comfortable quarters upstairs.... beats these bar stools by a mile."
Kaitou Kage (1:46:39 AM): The priest grinned back, taking the last of his drink. He was feeling quite happy, pleasant all over, both from drink and from...other things. "Well, let's take a look, shall we?" he said, stretching his shoulders, "Be nice to sit down on something soft for a while. Horses are damn uncomfortable."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:48:25 AM): "Grab the bottle, would you?" Ruby led the way upstairs, swaying enchantingly as she walked. The upstairs room was somewhat dirty and ill-kept, but had a comfortable pallet of soft material in the middle. Kuzan ducked underneath a spiderweb as he entered. "Sorry about the mess, I'm not much of a housekeeper..."
Kaitou Kage (1:50:33 AM): The priest snatched up the bottle and followed the woman upstairs. The place was quaint. A bit dirty, sure, but it had a homey feel. "Can't imagine there's a lot of time with the bar downstairs," he chuckled, offering her a swig, "But, eh, far sight better than being at sea for several weeks."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:51:48 AM): "Don't you get lonely all alone on a ship?" Ruby asked, not sitting down but walking around the room. "I'd go crazy if not for all the people downstairs all the time."
Kaitou Kage (1:52:53 AM): "Oh, there's lots of us," the priest said blithely, "Can't sail a ship by yourself. We got a whole crew. But after a few weeks of being unable to bathe, there's a little bit of a cloud that forms."
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:53:33 AM): Ruby snorted a rather unladylike laugh. "Well, you're clean at least." She put a hand on Kuzan's shoulder.
Kaitou Kage (1:54:13 AM): He grinned at her. "Land travel's biggest advantage is that it's easier to keep clean," he winked.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:56:20 AM): "That's not the only one...." Ruby was an aggressive one... She turned and clasped her hands around Kuzan's neck. She was a few inches shorter than the Sri Rajian priest. "I can think of another one..." Ruby stood on her tip toes, kissing Kuzan deeply.
Kaitou Kage (1:57:03 AM): Kuzan slipped his hands around the red-head's waist and kissed her back. "Me too," he murmured softly, before kissing again.
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:58:43 AM): The two melted together, and Kuzan's thoughts swam as he felt Ruby's hands move down his shoulders.... the one around his neck as she tried to inhale him through her lips, the other hand around his upper chest.... the two claws resting lighting on the small of his back. [I feel almost guilty about doing this to you, but it's a Ravenloft rite of passage.]
Kaitou Kage (1:58:59 AM): ( Hmm? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:59:05 AM): [Read again please]
Kaitou Kage (1:59:20 AM): ( Claws? As in literally claws? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (1:59:25 AM): []
Kaitou Kage (2:00:33 AM): ( So she's got her arms around him, hands/claws on his back? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:00:58 AM): [No... she's got her hands around him, and her claws on his back, as in, more than four limbs.]
Kaitou Kage (2:01:07 AM): ( Ah, okay )
Kaitou Kage (2:01:12 AM): Kuzan yelped in surprise and pushed her back from him, stumbling back. "What the--" he started, reaching around behind him to see if he had really felt what he thought he'd felt.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:02:44 AM): Ruby smiled, a little sadly, and Kuzan's eyes bulged as he saw the four, immense, spider legs emerge from the small of her back. "I'm a little sorry about this... you're so much nicer than most of my prey, but a girl's got to eat." Long, poisonous fangs emerged from Ruby's mouth.
Kaitou Kage (2:05:43 AM): "And you're a little crazier than I thought. I'm a little sorry, too," he pulled a tiny dagger from his belt and began twirling it in his hand. "I'm not very good prey," he said. The dagger vanished, and immediately a ring of swirling, slashing blades surrounded the priest, hovering protectively around his form.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:08:09 AM): With a shudder, Ruby transformed, more eyes opening on her face, her limbs turning sharp and cruel, transforming to something utterly inhuman. A man-sized spider, a black widow but with reversed colors, crimson and hideous, a black hourglass on its bulbous back. [Horror Check]
Kaitou Kage (2:09:23 AM): ( Oops, I requested 9 rolls instead of 1 roll with +9 >_> Anyway, 25 okay? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:09:52 AM): [Barely, yes. You just had the girl you seduced turn into a giant spider.]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:10:09 AM): [Ah, the joys of being a Cleric with a sky-high will save...]
Kaitou Kage (2:10:16 AM): ( )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:10:35 AM): [Now do something before she drains your fluids in a fashion not the one you desired.]
Kaitou Kage (2:11:37 AM): Kuzan decided to take the hint and get the heck out of there. He backed out of the doorway, the ring of blades hovering with him, and hurried down into the common room. "Bloody...stupid...I'm gonna kill Sam," he muttered under his breath, hurrying for the door as fast as he could (Double moving)
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:16:05 AM): The giant red widow scurried along, and with a shift of her bulbous thorax, tossed a gob of web at Kuzan, the stick substance landing smack in the middle of Kuzan's chest. It pulled taut, and Kuzan was nearly knocked off his feet, though the ring of blades still slashed at the web. [Entangled as per Net, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#net , Escape DC 12, Break DC 16, and whats the damage on your ring of blades for the web attack?]
Kaitou Kage (2:16:37 AM): ( The blades do 1d6+6 and are counted as magic, silvered, and slashing for the purposes of overcoming DR )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:16:52 AM): [Roll damage]
Kaitou Kage (2:18:13 AM): ( Right. As Irony decides to stop working. )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:18:27 AM): [....shall I roll? Will be faster anyway.]
Kaitou Kage (2:18:38 AM): ( If you like. )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:18:40 AM): [Or you can, your call]
Kaitou Kage (2:18:44 AM): I just rolled 10
Kaitou Kage (2:18:45 AM): ()
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:19:02 AM): The thread was badly shredded, but not quite.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:19:07 AM): Your move
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:19:12 AM): []*
Kaitou Kage (2:19:35 AM): ( So I can try to cast if I want, but it's a Concentration check? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:19:45 AM): [Ruby is 30 feet away, your in a hallway, stairs beside you, and yes.]
Kaitou Kage (2:20:30 AM): ( DCs are still the same as above? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:20:34 AM): [Yes]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:20:57 AM): [Standard action]
Kaitou Kage (2:21:00 AM): Kuzan attempts to struggle free from the web. (Escape Artist...)
Kaitou Kage (2:21:11 AM): ( I rolled, unless you want to. )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:21:17 AM): [Go ahead.]
Kaitou Kage (2:21:22 AM): ( 19 )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:21:36 AM): [Break free, have a move action left. Run down the stairs, I presume?]
Kaitou Kage (2:21:41 AM): ( Yep, GTFO )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:21:48 AM): [Smart man.]
Kaitou Kage (2:22:27 AM): And the priest flees immediately, dashing for the exit.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:24:16 AM): Ruby clicked her mandibles, skittering over the railing of the stairway and landing hard before Kuzan. She slashed out with her poisonous fangs, burying them deeply in Kuzan's arm. [5 damage, and Fort save please]
Kaitou Kage (2:24:50 AM): ( She takes blades damage, too... )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:24:56 AM): [Roll please then.]
Kaitou Kage (2:25:25 AM): ( 10 again, and magic/silvered/slashing if any of that makes a difference. Fort save of 16 (9+7) )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:26:06 AM): [Saved, and damage dealt. Ruby is ticked. Unfortunately, she's blocking the exit, unless you fancy an Overrun attempt.]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:26:20 AM): [You can also try to jump over the stairway, like she did.]
Kaitou Kage (2:26:37 AM): ( How far is it/what's the DC seem to be? And what kind of action is it? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:27:23 AM): [Part of a move action, jump down, DC 15.]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:27:43 AM): [Drops down about fifteen feet. You can just take the possible damage, it's not much.]
Kaitou Kage (2:28:17 AM): ( No penalties for trying to make the check, is there? Like, it can only help me? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:28:48 AM): [You drop down regardless. Check is for whether you get knocked up a bit in the process. Succeed, no damage, fail, 1d6 damage]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:29:02 AM): [Ruby gets an AoO though, if you do, mind.]
Kaitou Kage (2:29:46 AM): ( Right, that's what I meant. Ah, okay. I'll give it a shot. Part of a move, right? So I have how much movement after? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:29:55 AM): [15 feet]
Kaitou Kage (2:30:06 AM): ( 12 + 2 = 14, so fail )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:30:29 AM): [Roll Blade damage.]
Kaitou Kage (2:30:39 AM): ( 9 )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:31:07 AM): [And for your last standard action/move action?]
Kaitou Kage (2:31:24 AM): ( How far to the door? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:31:31 AM): [30 feet.]
Kaitou Kage (2:31:51 AM): ( Kuzan's gonna book it for the door, then, and get as far away as he can. )
Kaitou Kage (2:31:58 AM): ( Double move, basically. )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:32:10 AM): [Heh..... shoot.]
Kaitou Kage (2:32:16 AM): ( ? )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:32:24 AM): [Nvm..]
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:34:08 AM): Ruby screeched as Kuzan dodged out from underneath her mandibles, running for the door at a breakneck pace. Outside, it was almost eerily quiet... Kuzan's eyes shifted around, noticing Jervis and Samael sitting on the porch. Samael was whistling a tune that stopped abruptly when the bloody, blade-guarded Kuzan burst out.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:34:54 AM): [Psst! Say something.]
Kaitou Kage (2:35:49 AM): "SAM!" the priest shouted, "SPIDER!" Any current rage he might've had for Sam at the moment was cut off by the fear of his life as he hurried past, not really intent on stopping for Ruby to catch up.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:37:25 AM): "Huh?" The Borcan said very intelligently, trying to fathom what the priest was saying. His commentary was cut short when another strand of webbing shot from the open door, hitting Samael in the small of the back and jerking him towards the open maw of the Count's Grape.
Kaitou Kage (2:38:28 AM): "DAmmit!" Kuzan shouted, skidding to a halt and turning around. He hurried back toward the doorway, a single word coming to mind as he fixed his gaze on Ruby. "Halt!" he shouted, his voice resonating with divine authority (Command: Halt)
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:40:39 AM): The dragging stopped, and a dagger slid from Samael's sleeve as he twisted to get the strand of webbing under the knife. Jervis jerked upright, and clenching his fists approached the strand of webbing, grasping it in both hands and jerking it apart, breaking the strand, which flew back into the tavern.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:41:08 AM): "You must've really upset the girl." Samael commented, eyes still a bit wide. The tavern was silent.
Kaitou Kage (2:43:14 AM): "What are you waiting for?!" he shouted, "Come on! That spell doesn't last THAT long." He murmured another spell, empowering his allies and...hopefully weakening the spider woman (Prayer)
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:44:44 AM): "Jervis, be a friend?" Samael said, tossing the mercenary his dagger. With a gruff nod, the latter entered the tavern. Samael loped along after Kuzan. "What, exactly, is going on?"
Kaitou Kage (2:45:48 AM): "What's going on!?" Kuzan freaked out, "She turned into a freaking giant black widow spider just as we were getting started, that's what's going on!"
Kaitou Kage (2:46:05 AM): He hung a respectable distance away from Sam and Jervis, his ring of blades still swirling menacingly.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:46:59 AM): The Borcan blinked and paused. The sounds of a battle came from inside the tavern. "Say again...?" Samael asked carefully.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:47:10 AM): [Sense Motive]
Kaitou Kage (2:47:24 AM): ( 20 (16 + 4) )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:47:53 AM): [The Borcan is at *least* as surprised as Kuzan by this info. He's just a bit less demonstrative]
Kaitou Kage (2:48:50 AM): "She. Is. A. Giant. Spider. In. Disguise." Kuzan snapped, peering past Sam into the tavern, trying to see what was going on. "Does he need help?" the priest was worried.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:50:41 AM): "I'll help him remove the evidence later." This came as a rather peculiarly shrill shriek came from the tavern. Kuzan wondered briefly what the neighbors made of this. "Spider... red head.... oh bugger, did I just match you up with a Red Widow..." Samael closed his eyes. "Way to go Sam..."
Kaitou Kage (2:51:21 AM): Kuzan's eyes bulged at Sam. "She tried to eat me!" he protested, "Some way of learning about Barovia!"
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:51:50 AM): "Happens every so often..." Samael said absently. He turned to Kuzan. "You alright?"
Kaitou Kage (2:52:53 AM): "She bit me once, but I think I'll be okay for now..." He shuddered. "By the gods, that's the last time I do something like that for a long, long time."
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:54:39 AM): There was another shriek, and Jervis exited the tavern, wiping the dagger blade on his trousers. Samael looked at Kuzan slowly. "If it's any consolation, I'd no idea. And I am very, very, very sorry."
Kaitou Kage (2:57:50 AM): The fear and shock was starting to give way to exhaustion. He shook his head and sat down on the ground in a daze, swords flashing idly around him. Part of him wanted to snap Sam's head off. The other part conceded that Sam probably really didn't know. He rubbed his forehead again, and then looked up at the two. "It's okay," he said, tripping over his own words, "I'm all right now. I probably won't get to sleep tongiht, but I'm all right. Are you all right?" he glanced at the other two, mostly Jervis.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:59:13 AM): Jervis nodded. "Fine." Samael looked at Kuzan quietly. "Come on.... let's get you back to the inn and properly drunk, it'll take the memories away."
Kaitou Kage (2:59:46 AM): Kuzan nodded fervent agreement and clambered back to his feet, ready for a decent drinking time where he wouldn't have to worry about getting dvoured
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

NeoTiamat (DM) (6:51:10 PM): You and Lily walked through the Grand Bazaar, Lily pausing from time to time to look at things, little trinkets and such, though she didn't pay them more then a cursory glance. Or so you thought at least. The green-eyed woman waited until she and Andre were far from the others before asking. "Well?"
Yalenus (6:53:39 PM): "Ahh, and now the curiosity sets in." Andre said in the tounge of her home, after haggling over a particularly fine set of trinkets. Unfortunately, the price was of the sort designed to goguge forigners. "You've been wondering about it since the beginning. You're a reporter...I knew it wouldn't be something you'd let drop."
NeoTiamat (DM) (6:56:17 PM): "Professor Theroux?" Lily said with a charming smile. She seemed to be trying to hold something back. Possibly curiosity, possibly something else. "I'm quite certain that somewhere you have sufficient intelligence to get to the point some day. When you do, please let me know."
Yalenus (6:57:48 PM): "The problem, Miss D'Envers, Is that i am of such intelligence, that my social skills have utterly atrophied." Andre said "It is quite simple. You have attracted the attention of our financier. They are not pleased."
NeoTiamat (DM) (6:59:28 PM): "You have no idea how much that disappoints me." Lily said simply, pausing to examine a jade ring.
Yalenus (7:00:28 PM): "Oh...and do tell why?" He was piqued in curiosity by this bit of bland dismissal
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:02:06 PM): Lily simply smiled, then proceeded to do the same to the ring-seller. The poor Pharazian was quite unprepared for her assault, and when it turned out she spoke quite eloquent Pharazian, the jade ring was bought for a song. Andre wasn't quite sure if the seller was having apoplexy or a heart-attack brought upon by a pleasant shock.
Yalenus (7:04:02 PM): "Our little shopping excursion...an excuse to draw me off to find out what i know, Or am i being far too full of myself?" He was...actually quite ammused by the sudden burst of haggling expertise, and still curious
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:08:07 PM): "Now Professor. I am guessing that you had a point with your comments regarding money." Lily tried on the jade ring. "So if you are going to be mildly insulting, at least do so with a reason."
Yalenus (7:12:39 PM): "I've always been mildly insulting. How my wife saw past it is beyond me. And I do have a point." andre said, sighing. "I know where the money is coming from. However, due to cirumstances, I am not at liberty to divulge said information." Andre fidgeted with his own rings as he spoke, hoping she would get the hint (28 on the bluff check)
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:14:41 PM): "You mean the fact that Lord Balfour is paying for this out of his own personal pocket?" Lily smiled, reminding Andre a great deal of a snake now, with her forest-green dress. "I found that out almost a month ago."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:16:42 PM): [This is why you really shouldn't leave people like Lily alone for long periods of time.]
Yalenus (7:17:54 PM): Andre...did an amazing impersonation of an asphyxiating fish. A truly wonderful, AMAZING impersonation of an asphyxiating fish. Mouth opening, closing...opening again. "Who...how...how much do you know, and who have you told?"...It was odd. On the other hand, he was blatantly, utterly gobsmacked. And nervous as all hells. On the other...there was a certian almost hopeful look in his wide eyes that could definatly have one curious
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:21:35 PM): Miss D'Envers took a single look at Andre's face and let loose silvery peals of laughter that had other market patrons staring. With a smile that would have done a creamy-whiskered cat credit, the reporter closer her green-silk fan and tapped it thoughtfully against her cheek, looking at Andre with a certain amused pity. "Prof. Theroux, just because I was born a woman does not make me an idiot. I know quite a bit. Of course, if you want to learn more, you really do need to do something more than stand there catching flies."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:22:02 PM): Andre noticed that she completely ignored the second part of his question.
Yalenus (7:25:05 PM): Andre shut his mouth quickly. "Don't ignore the second part of my question...and i don't doubt your intelligence because of your sex, Miss D'Envers. If anything, I have an astounding respect for your intallect and inquisitve nature. You remind me a great deal of my wife in that regard. I only wish to prevent you from suffering the same fate. I know I'm a difficult man to get along with. There are probably Verbreker peasants with more social graces than I." He sighed, and fidgeted again "Shall we find a Kaffe to get something to eat? We can discuss more, hopefully in some shade..."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:27:47 PM): "If you insist..." Lily said with an impish smile. "I've heard wonderful things about Pharazian coffee."
Yalenus (7:29:57 PM): "It's rather good...just don't drink the sludge at the bottom of the cup." Andre winced, suggesting he had made that very same mistake. "And once we're someplace with a table...I suggest we both put everything we know on the table, as it were. ...So i can estimate how much danger we're in...prophecy puts everyone on this fool's errand in danger, but for you and I...well, Falkovnia dosen't seem to want a monopoly on Dead Man's Campaigns."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:33:45 PM): "Certainly." Lily said as the pair maneuvered under an awning, the reporter ordering two of the stronger coffees and appropriating a bit of cinnamon spice. "A habit I picked up in Kantora," she explained. "Well Professor, would you like to go first?"
Yalenus (7:37:17 PM): "Ah, but what sort of gentleman would I be if i didn't insist on Ladies first..." he smiled, sipping his own coffee, taking a moment to readjust to the strength. On one hand...he was being coy. On the other hand...there was a lot less smug to it than usual. "ANd of course, I'd like to politely request that i be kept off the record, for the sake of my continuing pulse."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:39:12 PM): "Oh, if you insist." Lily said with a feline smile. "Although I already went first, and a reporter has to get *something* for her troubles. Girl's got to eat, after all."
Yalenus (7:41:43 PM): "Unfortunately, I fear this is the sort of story you can't exactly take to publication. Unless you like being horribly discredited, then most likley killed in some horrid fasion." Andre mused darkly as he sipped his coffee. "Mists abound...I'm suprised i still draw breath. But then fate looks out for fools, If the church of Ezra is any indication."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:44:48 PM): "Would these be the same people who slew your family, then?" Lily said, her smile disappearing without warning. "Very well professor, I shan't publish anything of this. However, if you are going to learn what I know, I am going to insist you tell me the meaning of your dark hints first. To put it politely, Professor, I don't think I trust you to hold up your end of the bargain."
Yalenus (7:47:30 PM): "It's not just Balfour. There are others. And no...though the death of my family did drive me into their grasp, so some days, I wonder. It's only recently that I realized...If i get what I want...but don't deserve it...what's the point in having it. Nevermind getting re-accquainted with a concience I long silenced."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:49:21 PM): "Fascinating." Lily said, and Andre had a sinking feeling that even without her notes the reporter's memory must have been impressive. "Go on."
Yalenus (7:52:36 PM): "The expedition...yes, there's a great deal of accademic prestige at stake...And you've an eidetic memory, don't you..mmh..anyway, In for a pence, in for a pound as they say in Pardion..." he said, sighing. "but the ultimate goal is one specific item from the Tomb. Miss Mournswaithe is already on to that particular bit. Of course, so is everyone bloody else, so we sort of royally messed up there."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:54:32 PM): "The Eye of Anubis." Lily said, giving away nothing. "So Balfour, along with some others, wants to get the Eye of Anubis and has gone to a great deal of trouble to create this Expedition that would get the Eye, and thus grant Balfour immortality. Lord de Casteelle being a powerful wizard, I can see how that would appeal."
Yalenus (7:56:42 PM): "Undeath is simpler. Not as pleasant as true immortality, but then again, there are a great many holes in true immortality. Quite frankly, the inability to actually ever DIE is probably the greatest curse I think could befall somone. But either way, you're mostly on the right track. You share some more, than I will."
Yalenus (7:57:04 PM): ((As i have to take out dishes. BRB 5 min, 10 at most))
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:57:10 PM): [kk[
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:58:48 PM): "Fair enough." Lily smiled. "I would imagine that someone else on the Expedition is a member of your conspiracy. Perhaps Prof. Pelletier, as the leader, or Mr. Maleagant, as organizer. Or perhaps Professor Marchand-Renier, though he seems too reclusive."
NeoTiamat (DM) (7:59:49 PM): "Not Devereux, he's too... erratic, and not Carter, he's too new at the University to be involved in such things." Lily paused for a moment, sipping her coffee. "Possible Harris or some of the other guards, to provide muscle."
Yalenus (8:04:14 PM): "You and my wife would be grand friends." Andre offered, and with a bit of a wistful smile that suggested that coming from him, that was a compliment the likes of which held great weight. "The organizer is a mercenary. The only thing that he holds dear is coin. And you're right about Devereux...the man is an absolute genius, and he's right more often than wrong...but he's right in such a wrong way no one believes him. And Marchand-Renier and I could engage in a fight over who has less social skills. Carter...don't know. And i doubt Harris or the guards. We can be eliteist like that."
NeoTiamat (DM) (8:04:43 PM): "So you, Pelletier, and Maleagant." Lily smiled. "Anything else?"
Yalenus (8:07:51 PM): "You're not safe. Possibly less safe for having this conversation, though they expected me to "Deal" with the situation. Act distracted by something else...theorize Cavendish's sinister plan...investigate him...as much as it likley galls you to...play dumb, but not dumb enough to be unconvincing. If i die horribly or suddenly...expect to be next, and get those who you trust to back you." He sighed "As much as you and her dilsike eachother, I think having you and Lia chat could be useful. You're inquisitve and a genius about it...and she's utterly paranoid to a degree nigh approaching comedy."
NeoTiamat (DM) (8:11:14 PM): "I'm touched by your concern," Lily said with sugary sweetness, "But I'm a grown woman, I can take care of myself." The silken fan flicked at Andre's face, and he was surprised to find that when it rested on his cheek the end was cold, and hard, and metallic. "I would like to thank you for confirming my suspicions. Have a good day Professor, but now I'd like to get some more shopping done." Picking up the cup, Lily paid for her coffee and left the Kaffe.
Yalenus (8:15:13 PM): Andre followed after her, doing much the same "Unless you've magic, or a way of protecting your mind...be on utmost guard. But..mh..till then...something in a nice geometric pattern for a headscarf?" He offered, with an actual smile. For what good it did...and quite possibly quite a bit of bad...it still felt as if an immense weight had been lifted...nevermind learning that why yes, Lily D'Envers, were she born a man...would probably be the one wearing the ring that now troubled him so.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Tenth Cutscene with Otto Schultheiss and the Eleventh Cutscene with Kuzan and Dieter Haulfstead are now up.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

And Cutscene Number Twelve, with Professor Thomas Carter taking a one-way trip.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

NeoTiamat wrote: NeoTiamat(DM) (1:58:43 AM): The two melted together, and Kuzan's thoughts swam as he felt Ruby's hands move down his shoulders.... the one around his neck as she tried to inhale him through her lips, the other hand around his upper chest.... the two claws resting lighting on the small of his back. [I feel almost guilty about doing this to you, but it's a Ravenloft rite of passage.]
hehe... good stuff.
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:47:10 AM): [Sense Motive]
Kaitou Kage (2:47:24 AM): ( 20 (16 + 4) )
NeoTiamat(DM) (2:47:53 AM): [The Borcan is at *least* as surprised as Kuzan by this info. He's just a bit less demonstrative]
I bet he bluffed him.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

>_> In my mind's eye I could see the DM giggling with evil glee as it was going on because he knew I had NO IDEA what was coming.

Ah well. You can only get Red Widowed on once. :D It was fun.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Some more RPs to keep people amused while the last epilogues filter in. A Conspiracy Trifecta this time. First, some background for those not in the know: Around Book Four Andre, our local Initiate of the Fraternity of Shadows and sufferer from pangs of conscience, and Captain Martel of Dementlieuse Military Intelligence, interested in getting some help, simultaneously decided to put their trust in a certain Lia Mournswaithe, who in short order put them in contact with one another. Thus was a second little conspiracy formed.

The first scene takes place not long after Dezbar, if memory serves, and contains Lia extending the group's conspiracy to a new member.

The second scene is very soon afterwards, taking place between our local Fraternity of Shadows enthusiasts.

The last scene, with Charles and Lia talking to Jervis and Samael, takes place on the eve of Book Eight.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

One day, during the expedition's trip from Debar keep to the Kermanevar, Lia rides her camel up to Jervis's. The mercenary was a passably good rider, usually bringing up the rear of the massive pack of animals that was the Menetnashte Expedition. As always, the tan-skinned (Invidian?) rode quietly, his longsword sheathed by his side as a rifle hung loosely from a strap on his back.

Lia eyes Jervis, then mutters "Sussurununtius" beneath her breath and flicks her fingers in Jervis's direction. (Message) Soon, Jervis may hear a whisper in his ear: "You can understand me. Whisper, and I shall understand you, also. I would have this be a private conversation."

The mercenary jerked slightly, then his eyes narrowed as Jervis gazed around the caravan. His eyes met Lias, and his lips twisted into a pleasure-less, cynical smile.

Lia calmly nods to him. "I wish to make an apology," she tells Jervis in a bland tone. She waits for the mercenary to reply before continuing.

The mercenary didn't say a word, just rode along in full confidence that at some point Lia would get to a relevant point. This was rather in character for the taciturn man.

"But not to you," Lia finally continues, after an exasperated sigh, which echoes in Jervis's head. "Rather, to your crow friend. I mistakenly assumed him to be Cavendish's companion ... but he is yours."

This provoked a reaction. Not a very positive one, however. The mercenary stopped his riding, looking at Lia with cold eyes. After a long pause, he finally spoke. "What do you know?"

"I know only a familiar could have evaded that Fireball I launched at the bird," Lia calmly replies, eyes never leaving Jervis's. "I also know that in the Near Ethereal, you are a dragon. That would suggest to me that you are a spellcaster of some kind."

"Hunh." Jervis grunted as he listened. The man wasn't much taller than Lia, but there was a kind of tense energy in him now, like a coiled spring.

"I have an offer to make to your crow," Lia continues. "I attacked him, tried to capture him, on the basis that I assumed him to be with Cavendish. That was wrong. I apologize, though such a thing means little to animals, even familiars. However, I would not have him take out his anger on my familiar. I would make restitution myself. Your friend is not dead. He is not crippled. He was injured. If your friend wishes, I shall allow him to strike at me, not my familiar -- but not to cripple and not to kill."

This, if nothing else, caused the mercenary to stare at Lia. Then, after a heavy pause where he weighed the satisfaction of potentially maiming Lia versus the likelihood that this was some kind of exotic trap, he spoke. "If you ever say a thing about me or about Aya, she's not the one you need to worry about. I'll wring your scrawny neck myself. You can also tell the same thing to your friend. I'll wring his neck too. Might just do it anyway."

"Pshaw," Lia replies. "You are speaking to the one who tried to hide her own spellcasting abilities, remember? I'll keep your secret -- unless you act like an enemy to us all. But as for threatening Grimmric, sorcerer, that would be as big a mistake as threatening ... Well, anyone else in the expedition whom I consider a friend. And you perhaps recall how I treat people who threaten us, hmm? Like Tarik."

"You idiot." Jervis said plainly. "Who cares about the bat? But tell Theroux that if he doesn't keep his mouth shut, I'll shut it for him." And with that, Jervis moved his camel forward, ending the conversation rather decisively.

Fortunately for Lia, the spell is not that limited. "Who's talking about Theroux, you jackass?" Lia's voice scathes Jervis's brain. "I speak for myself. And you do not know all of my tricks. But let us speak of something else ... such as a certain Dementlieuse brotherhood."

Jervis stopped dead in his tracks. Of the many things the mercenary might have been expecting, this wasn't one of them. "Go on." He said curtly.

"Are you with them," Lia asks bluntly, "and do you want them to get their grubby mitts on the Eye of Anubis, or are you otherwise motivated?"

"Which one are you talking about?" The mercenary said...cautiously. "There's a lot of groups out and about."

"The one lead by Balfour de Casteelle," Lia replies, sounding simply annoyed. "Which other brotherhood would be of any importance to this endeavor whatsoever? Unless that scut Cavendish has a group backing him, or ..." Lia pauses, looking at Jervis thoughtfully. "... or unless some other group wishes to oppose them. Hmmm?"

From the way Jervis looked, the ground had just fallen out from under him and the man was trying hard to figure out what to do. "I have no idea what you're talking about." It wasn't a very convincing lie. Not even to Jervis.

"Liar," Lia says with obvious amusement. She heels her camel closer to Jervis's, transfixing him with her eyes. "But I have to say that, despite the fact that you're a miserably poor liar, you make a good secret agent. And you are in luck. I am in a position to offer you the help of another secret group, which is by its founding principles opposed to de Casteelle's brotherhood. Now isn't that nice?"

"Hugn..." Jervis grunted, for lack of anything more intelligible to say. You almost felt sorry for the man, his confusion and consternation was so obvious.

"I am perfectly serious about this," Lia continues, still fixing Jervis with her eyes. "De Casteelle and his bunch must never get their hands on the Eye. Cavendish must never get his hands on the Eye. We have a theory it might be used to control the passage of the souls of the dead. Can you imagine what it would mean for such power to fall to such evil creatures? Armies of the damned, man! I would personally shatter that damned rock if I got my hands on it, rather than let them have it!" Her eyes visibly blaze.

"Right..." Jervis seemed to be collecting himself into something sensible. "Who.... who else is involved?" The mercenary paused for a moment, then seemed to think of something and continued. "I mean... just you and...?"

"Just me and three others right now," Lia calmly replies. "We are the Praediti. And yourself ...?"

"I..." Jervis scratched his head, his earlier rancor towards Lia completely forgotten. "Don't know."

"Try expanding on that a little, would you?" Lia suggests in a dry tone of voice.

"Big decision, you know?" Jervis said quietly. A faint accent tinged his speech, usually missing. You doubted you'd ever seen the mercenary as poorly in control of himself. "I don't know enough."

"That is fair, I suppose," Lia allows. "But I am revealing rather a great deal, here. Give me a name, at least."

"Uh.... whose?" The mercenary asked.

"Your group's, you ass," Lia replies, without any malice. "We are the Praediti. I am Lia ... bility Moutnswaithe. You are Jervis, unless you go by an assumed name. What is the name of your group?"

Jervis seemed to ponder this for a while. Then, after a long, long moment, he spoke. "We call it the Conspiracy."

A ghostly chuckle echoes around Jervis's head for a moment. "Good enough," Lia says, edging her camel yet a little closer. "I really am sorry for attacking your Aya. Will you convey that to her?"

"Right." Jervis seemed to feel safest when talking in one syllable bursts. Then he seemed to decide that a little more was necessary, and grunted. "I will."

"Thank you," Lia says. "Apart from that ... let us try to work together. You know the story about breaking a lance, I assume? Breaking it once is easy, breaking the two pieces held together is harder. If we work together, we can thwart the brotherhood, thwart Cavendish, and possibly get out of this wasteland alive. Does that sound agreeable?"

Jervis grunted again. It sounded like an affirmative grunt.

"Good," Lia says. "To start with, you are aware that Pelletier is the brotherhood's main man in charge on this trip, and that Samael may well have been the one who poisoned him?"

Jervis seemed to be knocked off of his precarious balance again. The man's eyes widened a bit, but then he clamped down on his emotions and nodded, once.

"Jolly," Lia says. "Do you know whether anything is wrong with Dieter since his little adventure in the mill in Hazlan? I've been meaning to check, but things have been ... busy."

Jervis paused to think about this, the broad-shouldered man quite off-balance but trying to maintain some semblance of it. "Um... I think he's been fine?"

"He might bear watching," Lia cautions him. "And you need to watch yourself. Pelletier was already suspicious of you. Seemed to think you were an undead or a shapeshifter of some sort."

Jervis's eyes narrowed. "Really now."

"Indeed," Lia replies placidly. "Therefore, watch yourself. You are no good to anyone if you get yourself stabbed in the back or 'experimented' upon to see just what you are."

The mercenary nodded, touching the hilt of the cold, metal blade at his side. Regardless of his spellcasting prowess, if any, he was still the most lethal warrior in the Expedition.

"Now then," Lia continues. "Am I correct to assume you are a Sorcerer? I'm sure I would have noticed you studying a spellbook by now."

Jervis blinked again, but shook his head. "Not... quite."

"Do elaborate," Lia suggests. "Go on. I already know about the familiar and your ethereal reflection, so let's have it."

"I...." Jervis's face clamped down. "Need some more time to think about this." The mercenary paused for a moment, then grunted again before doing something entirely out of character. "Sorry I threatened you."

"Given the circumstances," Lia replies kindly, "I shan't hold it against you. In fact, I hope you will not hold my behaviour against me. But it might be best if you continue to scowl and growl; a change in behaviour at this point would alert others to our ... new arrangement, shall we say? I do want us to be allies against the brotherhood and other assorted evils, possibly even friends, but we must be clever and we must be cautious, yes?"

Jervis grunted again. Somehow, continuing to scowl and growl was not going to be an issue for the man.

"Is there anything more that you wish to discuss right now?" Lia asks politely.

Jervis considered for a long moment, then decided to go for it. "Just.... who else?"

"A representative of the Dementlieuse government who prefers to remain anonymous," Lia replies, "and professor Theroux. As you can see, several people have been taking an interest."

"Thats two.... and you...." Jervis said quietly.

"And one more who is a secret," Lia says, "in case of an emergency I can not foresee. A backup, if you will."

"Right." Jervis nodded once again, then shrugged his shoulders and rode off, with not a backwards glance.

"And if we come to an agreement ... there is you."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

NeoTiamat(DM) (4:28:59 PM): The moon was high in the cloudless sky when Andre arrived at the ravine, a rocky gash in the ground not too far away from camp. The air was cold, with a chill wind blowing across the Sebuan night. Samael was in the ravine when Andre arrived, placing a block of much-scarred wood on a small ledge in the wall of the ravine. He noticed Andre. "Hello Andre. I think the Professor will be a bit late."
Yalenus (4:30:00 PM): "That whole near fatal poisoning ravaging his health thing, I'd suspect." Andre said. "Not the most spry, even before that, sadly."
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:30:46 PM): "Oh the wonders of getting old." Samael grinned momentarily. "Only thing worse is not getting old." The Borcan nodded at the block of wood, satisfied, and then counted some paces off.
Yalenus (4:32:13 PM): Andre's brain started to calculate positions, though he was no mathemetician...the Amulet of tears was now rather active. "Depends on who one talks to, there is always the adage that only the good die young."
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:33:01 PM): "Well then, we ought to live till Methuselah's age." Samael looked at the block of wood, now about thirty paces away. "Keep a count for me, would you?"
Yalenus (4:33:15 PM): "Course...that would gurantee the lot of us a ripe old age. And dare I ask what you're doing?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:33:29 PM): Samael grinned. "Practicing."
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:34:12 PM): The Borcan closed his eyes, stretching slightly, which made him perhaps an inch taller (and still shorter than Andre). Then, still with half-lidded eyes, he moved.
Yalenus (4:35:28 PM): Andre took a look at the carving, from a safe distance however, having a feeling something was about to happen involving either gunfire, or sharp things flying through the air. Possibly a dynamic display of both.
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:35:55 PM): From one sleeve, a dagger dropped down into his hand, blade first, which he then grabbed and passed to the other hand which caught it by the tip and moved back in a small arc before tossing the weapon forward, then moved back to grab the next dagger. In not more than ten seconds, four small blades flew through the air to land on the chunk of wood. Samael stopped, then sighed. "Time?"
Yalenus (4:37:18 PM): "Impressively quick. Just under ten seocnds." Andre said, actually doing a bit of a polite clap for the showman
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:37:56 PM): Samael headed over to the board, clucking under his tongue as he did so. "My accuracy is miserable these days. God, I'm getting old."
Yalenus (4:39:30 PM): "Oh please. You're still young and spry compared to Marchand Renier, or Professor Pellitier. So spare me the "I'm getting old" complaints.Some entity could hear you, and curse you with immortality." Andre said, with just a bit of a chuckle
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:41:33 PM): Samael snorted as he walked back to the position he had earlier. "I've heard curses I liked less. Count off again? And give the word start after I get a few rotations?"
Yalenus (4:42:47 PM): "Immortality, unable to die, trapped in a body that gets more and more decrepit, till you're little more than a husk, hardly able to move in your leathered skin, denied the peace of death for all time? One of the worst, if you ask me. And will do. After this toss though, I've a question or two for you." Andre said, still waiting for the good doctor to show
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:44:12 PM): "Well, nothing's perfect." Then Samael got into his position, closed his eyes, and began to spin. Like a top, the Borcan spun around, faster and faster, waiting for Andre to give the word.
Yalenus (4:45:13 PM): "Start!" Andre called out
Yalenus (4:45:21 PM): ((brb))
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:46:38 PM): Without breaking a beat, one after another four daggers flew forth, all but one landing in the much-tormented block of wood, except for one that hit the rock nearby.
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:47:12 PM): Samael came to a stop, saw the results, and cursed, stalking over to the missing dagger as if it was a personal insult. Amazingly, he didn't even seem dizzy.
Yalenus (4:50:59 PM): "You do take this seriously, don't you? I mean...I wouldn't say THAT, even when i was furious." Andre offered, not quite smirking, but fairly close
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:51:52 PM): "Mrm. I had strict teachers." Samael picked up the daggers, then noticed Andre looking at him. "Interesting fact. The skills of a ballet dancer and those of a knife-fighter are remarkably similar."
Yalenus (4:53:05 PM): Andre blinked "Now and forever in my mind, I will picture you with opening night jitters before a performance of "The Coming of Spring" before a packed house in Dementlieu. But there will be knives involved. And this makes me smile a bit more at life."
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:54:02 PM): Samael laughed. "That sounds about right. Mother made sure I got training in all sorts of things, one of which seemed to be ballet."
Yalenus (4:55:21 PM): "Sounds like we're both products of our families. Now...my first question...how well do you know Michel?" Andre asked, suddenly a bit more serious than his previous joking suggested
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:55:46 PM): "Fair bit, why?" Samael went back to his practicing.
Yalenus (4:57:15 PM): "He looked...odd..in Dezbar.Of course, we all did...but his apperance was rather alarming."
NeoTiamat(DM) (4:57:59 PM): Samael stopped with the knife-throwing. "What do you mean?"
Yalenus (5:00:47 PM): "Like a puppet, or a Marionette.Arms bound together with wire."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:02:17 PM): "That is.... interesting...." Samael frowned, fiddling with a knife idly. "I'll look into this. Anything else?"
Yalenus (5:02:36 PM): "Jervis looked like a sodding dragon."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:02:58 PM): "Fits his personality, I'd say." Samael shrugged.
Yalenus (5:04:13 PM): "But where he was actually affecting the environment of the ethereal?" Andre said "That puzzles me. But that's been the issue plauging us forever. Too many questions, not nearly enough answers."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:05:03 PM): "I quite agree, Professor Theroux." Pelletier's voice sounded from behind the two of you. Andre jumped, and was mildly gratified to see that Samael did the same. Then again, Pelletier was an illusionist.
Yalenus (5:07:27 PM): "Doctor Pelletier, were you here the whole time, or did you just arrive?" Andre asked, a bit morbidly curious to say the least.
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:08:38 PM): Pelletier just smiled. "So then, Mr. Maleagant, Professor Theroux, shall we get this meeting started? What is the first order of business?"
Yalenus (5:10:22 PM): "I'd suggest ethereal visions." Andre offered, finding a place to sit
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:11:22 PM): "Very well, Professor, we may begin. Do you have any proposals?"
Yalenus (5:12:52 PM): "Discussion of the revelation that members of Menetnasthe's sect practiced infernalisim. As quite frankly, that sodding worries me."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:14:14 PM): "Yes... and it's something I've not come across before. The priests of Anubis tended to stand on the sidelines of good and evil. Their few summoned servants tended to be elementals of one design or another."
Yalenus (5:16:12 PM): "Exactly. The fact that this fiend is one which I encountered before in passing mention AND has a place in Akiri religious writings...compounds the issue. Merkas, the cunning fox of Set, also known as Marchoisas, Great Marquis of hell. The fact that he was bound with a ward of EXTREME power is somewhat of a mitigating factor...on the other hand...it's still a summoned fiend."
Yalenus (5:17:09 PM): "Desparation over not knowing where the hierarch is, and being outnumbered 15 to 1, if Sebastien got his translation right...or..a natural inclination?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:18:00 PM): "Perhaps both." Samael suggested. "I'd think that people don't turn to fiends if they can help it, but they also don't summon major fiends without some prior preperation."
Yalenus (5:19:23 PM): "Most likley. I've a feeling that it would be the sort of thing one dosen't randomly get out of bed and decide to do on a lark. The fact that a "Gift or Offering of Berat" was mentioned, and I've no clue what that means...also puzzles and bothers."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:19:59 PM): "Berat... the name is marginally familiar." Pelletier frowned. "But I cannot place it."
Yalenus (5:21:41 PM): "There's also the matter of what the Eye is supposed to do, at least according to the book Devereux was given."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:22:27 PM): "Immortality." Professor Pelletier said. It was not a tone that invited much discussion. Samael cast a look at Andre.
Yalenus (5:23:19 PM): "Dosen't make sense." Andre offered, but didn't push the issue
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:24:15 PM): Pelletier sent a rather irritated look at Andre, but continued. "I shall search my contacts for information on Berat. Is there anything else we can do on the matter of the ethereal visions, or simply be aware of them?"
Yalenus (5:25:13 PM): "Be aware of them. Now...I'd like to bring up the matter of your health, If i may?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:25:31 PM): "Go on." Pelletier said shortly.
Yalenus (5:26:16 PM): "You were poisoned with a rather potent toxin, and we're lucky kuzan was able to keep you from dying. What steps do we implement to ensure that this has no chance of happening again?'
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:27:05 PM): "Yes...." Pelletier said softly. [Sense Motive] "I shall take measures. Regular poison detection, and I now update my wards constantly."
Yalenus (5:29:02 PM): ((14))
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:29:21 PM): [Nothing]
Yalenus (5:31:17 PM): "The question is...who does the poisoner work for? Cavendish? The Anubite? Unnamed third parties who don't have the stones to at least announce themselves properly?" Andre sighed "It's too subtle for Cavendish' work. He'd try to find that weird spider venom which makes you dance yourself to death."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:32:58 PM): "Thank you Andre for your input." Pelletier said with a half-smile, the first spark of humanity he showed. "I've been conducting some divinations, but it is going less than sterling."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:33:11 PM): "I would like the two of you to keep an eye out, see what you find."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:33:23 PM): "I have a man searching." Samael nodded. "Tomas Eisenwald, actually."
Yalenus (5:35:14 PM): "Tomas is a good man...which can be a fault for him sometimes, i fear. Of course, his talents can be..rather useful, though I think he'd be rather shocked by their origin. I've my own theory on who did it, but absolutely no way to prove it. as of yet."
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:36:09 PM): "Good, carry on then, the both of you." Pelletier nodded. "Anything else?" [Time check?]
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:36:35 PM): [I have one more thing I need to do, so if you need to go at 6, we better move on. Otherwise we can chat on a bit FoS-wise]
Yalenus (5:36:51 PM): ((It's 530))
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:37:04 PM): [I know, I mean how much more time do you ahve?]
Yalenus (5:37:17 PM): ((35 minutes, 40 tops))
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:37:25 PM): [Then let's move on.]
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:37:48 PM): "No, I think that covers it." Samael nodded. He cast Andre a quick look. Can I have a minute?
Yalenus (5:38:44 PM): "I think we've hit all the bases." Andre's reply to Samael could've been a shrug, but it was more likley an answer in the affermative.
Yalenus (5:38:56 PM): ((And grr, brb, won't be more than 5 min))
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:39:05 PM): [kk]
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:42:26 PM): With a whispered word, Pelletier disappeared from sight, and only the soft click of his cane on the stones the mark of his disappearance. Samael took out a match and mimed looking around. Check for Pelletier, would you?
Yalenus (5:44:23 PM): Andre made a quick pass with his eyes...timing the distance of the clicks..not wanting to be fooled by the old man just clicking his cane on the ground repeatedly. Once he was sure enough of Pelletier's distance, a detect magic was cast, just on the off chance.
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:45:48 PM): There was no Pelletier.
Yalenus (5:46:50 PM): "Gone" Andre said, taking another look around, just to be safe.
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:47:09 PM): "Well, that's good." Samael leaned back against the rocks. "So what do you think?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:48:09 PM): "How's our noble and wise mentor?"
Yalenus (5:51:41 PM): "His utter refusal to accept the possibility that the gem dosen't do what it says on the wrapper worries me to no end. He's old, and his poisoning probably only hammered his own mortality home. The promise of eternal life...a tempting thing to a man in his state, even more so than to most"
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:52:26 PM): "That's about what I figured." Samael's head sunk back a bit, and the Borcan looked pensive. There was a long moment of silence. "Andre?"
Yalenus (5:52:51 PM): "Yes Samael?" Andre asked...the pensive and silence a bit worrysome
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:53:00 PM): "Why did you do it?"
Yalenus (5:55:06 PM): "I've done so many things that could qualify as "it" sam, that i'm afraid that's a bit of a broad question. Though I suppose that you had a chat with Jervis?" Andre offered, taking a seat, at this moment rather wishing he hadn't listened to his mother's admonitions, and had taken up smoking
NeoTiamat(DM) (5:55:47 PM): "He's a useful man." Samael didn't even bother to deny it. He was looking at Andre however, eyes very intent. And, Andre thought, maybe a little sad.
Yalenus (6:01:16 PM): "I grew a concience. Tried to ignore the damn thing, but it wouldn't go away. I don't belive in the gentleman's club's goals, or methods anymore. I joined up..to find a means of returning my wife and little girl to life. But what's the bloody point if I become a monster in the process? You can't build a better world on the back of monstrous deeds, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themself so they can sleep at night." He shrugged "I've no doubt that I'm going to die for this, though I'd prefer it be later, once I've been proven right that retriving the Eye is the sort of horrible mistake that only seems to follow us around like a plauge. Menetnashte's tomb is a sodding prison, and i'd bet Ivana Boristi's knickers on it."
Yalenus (6:01:24 PM): ((i know it's 6, but i'm holding out))
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:01:32 PM): [Good man.]
Yalenus (6:02:34 PM): (Brbing though to make a call))
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:02:36 PM): "You might be right." Samael said quietly. "No, you probably are."
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:03:25 PM): "But not all of us want to make a better life." Samael continued. "I'm in it for the money, and let the gentlemen's club be damned. But Andre, do you know what they'll do if they find this out?"
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:03:48 PM): "They'll capture Lia, and probably the rest of the Expedition. And they'll interrogate them. Torture the lot till they break, and they will break."
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:04:06 PM): "And then, convicted from their own mouths, they'll kill you. And Lia. And the rest of this goddamn stupid Expedition."
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:04:49 PM): "But you know?" Samael said, his voice still quiet. "I don't really care. I'm a mercenary, so let the lot of you go to hell so long as I get my money."
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:05:06 PM): You wondered if Samael believed even that. "But you know.... Lia is about to get me killed. She thinks I poisoned Pelletier."
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:06:06 PM): "Andre?" Samael said, looking the professor in the eyes, his own Mist-grey ones a little sad. "For all I care, you can go and live a happy life, get remarried, and forget all about this little trip of horrors."
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:06:27 PM): "But if you take me down," The Borcan continued, "I'll drag you down to hell with me."
Yalenus (6:09:42 PM): "Sam, you have more of a concience than you'll ever admit to in public or private, I KNOW you didn't poison him. I...I think Michel did. He's got a rather large outstanding gambling debt, which makes him rather easy pickings for somone trying to subvert things into more of a massive cockup than they already are."
Yalenus (6:10:55 PM): "I however, have no proof. I will get Lia to see reason on things, somehow. As for you...be careful about Lily. If your Liason wasn't just...a diversion..and you actually develop feelings. Be careful. "
NeoTiamat(DM) (6:11:32 PM): "Get out of my sight." Samael said shortly. "I'll keep your secret for now, and get Jervis to do the same. But get out of my sight."
Yalenus (6:14:44 PM): Andre nodded, and with a few words, faded from sight much like the "good" Doctor had earlier. "I know i put my foot in my mouth. I'll apoligize profoundly later. Personally...I'm happy for you two if you're happy." And then nothing betrayed his leaving but the sound of footfalls