Anime/Manga in Ravenloft

Books, movies, television and everything else
Georg Kristianokov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Anime/Manga in Ravenloft

Post by Georg Kristianokov »

No one but JinnTolser answered my other thread, so how about this one?

And no, I do not mean DBZ in Ravenloft. And Naruto is over-rated!

But, how about Hellsing? Blood Plus?

People have stated that Full Metal Alchemist may be the only way to adapt Warforged to the Dread Realms, Le Chevalier De Eone is like Dementlieu, so why not steal plot hooks/characters?

I used Lament of the Lamb to transplant vampyres into Rokushima Taiyoo, and Godchild was a base for a dhampir I made (Hector Bathory). I also made Nova Vaasa similar to Vampire Hunter D's Earth, only more unified.

Note: I have mainly have no knowledge of what I'm talking about. I just use Wikipedia alot. I also canprovide (partial) stats for what I'm describing.
Death to the salad eaters!--Verbrekian War cry

I can post almost everything I've written, just PM me!
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Death Note and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - with a change of clothing they can pretty much be put in as is.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

there is a horrible part of me, that right now I very much want to kick in the goolies, that wants to adapt Ohotori Academy from Shojou Kakumei Utena as a domain, with Akio Ohotori as the darklord. Unfortunately, I fear his manwhoreishness is too much for even the Dark Powers to contain.

And in less traumatizing suggestions, Boogiepop Phantom is good for tone and mood, as is Ergo Proxy, at least in my opinion.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

yalenusveler wrote:there is a horrible part of me, that right now I very much want to kick in the goolies, that wants to adapt Ohotori Academy from Shojou Kakumei Utena as a domain, with Akio Ohotori as the darklord. Unfortunately, I fear his manwhoreishness is too much for even the Dark Powers to contain.
:shock: The domain would rival Vechor for craziest building design and girliest looking darklord.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Where's Wiccy when we call for him!? :)
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Isabella wrote:
:shock: The domain would rival Vechor for craziest building design and girliest looking darklord.
True...true! But think of the magic weapons you could get! If you know, could put up with an emotionally scarred, subserviant yet subversive girl of unknown ethnicity, who's possibly the sister of God/The Devil, oh, and having the incests with him, and challengers with severe emotional problems are all trying to fight you for her.
It....almost makes too much sense.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

I just watched the Galaxy Express movies tonight - although the movies themselves are too futuristic for any domain (except maybe a heavily modified Nosos), they include many twisted ideas that a Ravenloft GM could put to good use.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

True...true! But think of the magic weapons you could get! If you know, could put up with an emotionally scarred, subserviant yet subversive girl of unknown ethnicity, who's possibly the sister of God/The Devil, oh, and having the incests with him, and challengers with severe emotional problems are all trying to fight you for her.
Umm, what now? Actually, you know what, I don't want to know.
Death Note and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - with a change of clothing they can pretty much be put in as is.
I agree, Death Note would fit right now. But the Death note itself is not something I would give to one of the players. Instead they'd probably have to play the role of 'L'.

If there's any anime that is most like Ravenloft however, it's Requiem from the Darkness. The protagonist if an aspiring novelist that is trailing after three spirits, one of which has the ability to invoke people's sins against them. The series explores just how tainted the human soul can become, touching on controversial subjects such as suicide, infanticide, incest, cannibalism, drug abuse, necrophilia, and many others. Requiem for the Darkness is CERTAINLY not for the faint of heart, and has a very distinct, Pitch-black style that, at least in my opinion, IS Ravenloft.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I've also found this AMV for Requiem from the Darkness on Youtube if you guys are interested, since it's a really great series.

WARNING: VIEWER DISCRETION IS HIGHLY ADVISED
You *will* fail a horror check if you are highly sensitive to scenes of intense gore.

Georg Kristianokov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Georg Kristianokov »

I got a 15 on the horror check. Luckily, I have a +10, otherwise I wouldn't have made it. I'd put that at DC 25!

Nonetheless...It was interesting but, mainly bloody. OVERTLY BLOODY.

They have stories and food, but the one thing I never got about Japan is their obsession with gore and violence in cinema.

Waittaminute...Texas Chainsaw Massacre was American! :shock:

Disegard my comments. I'll be checking wikipedia for all of this stuff.
Death to the salad eaters!--Verbrekian War cry

I can post almost everything I've written, just PM me!
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Undead Cabbage wrote:
Umm, what now? Actually, you know what, I don't want to know.
Oh, yes you do. :D Especially the movie version, where we get to see what happens to the domain when you kill the darklord.

(Actually, when you get down to brass tacks, Ohtori Academy pretty well captures the essence of "domain" in every way, right down to Utena's you-only-win-if-you-get-out solution.)

Le Portrait de Petite Cossette is creepy, Gothic, and features some intriguing plot developments with cursed items and ghosts. And Yuki Kajiura music. Avoid the manga version like the plague, though.

Tetragrammaton Labyrinth is rather Ravenlofty...well, Masque of the Red Deathy...through its first two volumes. A bit high on the violence quotient, though, as the artist seems to think that having a literally immortal lead character is a good excuse to routinely dismember her.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Rafael wrote::) Where's Wiccy when we call for him!? :)
I'm off watching episodes of BSG, .hack//sign and Witch Hunter Robin between projects, lol.

Personally I think the whole premise of WHR would work very well in Ravenloft, it's screaming for it! Or at least for Gothic Earth.

Le Portrait de Petite Cossette would also work very well, it's worth it for the last 20 minutes alone!

Another for Gothic Earth is Urotsuki Doji, not for all the demon rape, but for the emotional ties to the anime, for which it is truly based upon. Quite terrifying when you realise that all the characters are based on both positive and negative aspects of the human mind.
Swallow your soul!
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

The second Vampire Hunter D film has many similarities with Ravenloft, in particular Barovia and the Strahd story. The first Vampire Hunter D was just too cartoony for me, but the 2nd one is great. I can see the basis for a comparison there.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Higurashi no naku koro ni (kai) would be perfect source material for Ravenloft, as was mentioned before. You wouldn't have to change that much about it -- in fact, change nothing but the possibility of leaving the Hinamizawa area. Maybe put in one very hard to find Mistway that leads to Rokushima Taiyóo, which keeps shifting locations. The sense of alienation that would arise between visitors from less scientifically developed realms and the Hinamizawans would probably cause some interesting scenes! :D
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

The idea of Wolf's Rain's characters would work in Ravenloft, people that are fundamentally wolves on the inside.

I am pretty surprised that no one's mentioned A Chinese Ghost Story, it is pure I'Cath! Okay, the live action was much metetr suited, but the anime remains true.
Swallow your soul!