Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dragon magazine seeking fiction submissions

Post by The Giamarga »

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Cool! :D Looks like Ari's side won the pro-fiction argument! 8)

That makes me very, very happy. I've been a fan of short fiction in Dragon ever since the days of oddball vignettes like Everybody Eats Everybody On Sunday's Planet, or that one about online VR-gaming that was published back in the era of Zork and Avatar.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I hope some of the residents send in their stuff. The fiction boards have some very good short stories...
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Hey, thanks for the info. Who knows, given the ease of submission I may toss something in their general direction and see if they're having a slow month one of these days. :wink:
JamesLowder
Scribe of the Black Rose
Scribe of the Black Rose

Post by JamesLowder »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Cool! :D Looks like Ari's side won the pro-fiction argument! 8)

That makes me very, very happy. I've been a fan of short fiction in Dragon ever since the days of oddball vignettes like Everybody Eats Everybody On Sunday's Planet, or that one about online VR-gaming that was published back in the era of Zork and Avatar.
There's a discussion about the contract terms being requested by the new permutation of Dragon here: http://scalzi.com/whatever/?p=159

Cheers,
James Lowder
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I for my part will try to write soemthing for that contest that has a distinctive RL background and will be vaguely set in Darkon.

:)
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

JamesLowder wrote:There's a discussion about the contract terms being requested by the new permutation of Dragon here: http://scalzi.com/whatever/?p=159

Cheers,
James Lowder
Thanks for that link! While I wouldn't consider submitting original work not set in a D&D shared world to Dragon anyway, I hadn't appreciated the full impact of signing over all rights to your work. That was a real eye-opener. And the links provided there to other magazines are very helpful as well.
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

Honestly, I'm not sold on the argument behind that article, because it doesn't seem to strongly consider the whole notion of "shared world" fiction.

It's true that it's not a good deal if you're submitting 100% original material. But for a story set in Ravenloft, or Eberron, or even one without a strong setting but obvious D&D-specific elements, it's not only a valid market, but the only one. I'm certainly not unhappy to have done so, and I'll be doing so again.
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com