Trick or Treat! Quoth the Raven is now out

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ScS of the Fraternity

Trick or Treat! Quoth the Raven is now out

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Happy Halloween boils and ghouls,

The latest issue of Quoth the Raven is now available in the library.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

A question for the creator of the "Dhampir" in the Twisted Races article; the Bloody Decision Extraordinary Quality that results from taking the first level in the Dhampir racial class says that the Dhampir must choose to either embrace their bloody urges or to resist them. The entry says this affects the other racial powers that manifest, but the article itself doesn't say what powers are associated with which choice.

To make it clearer; the level table for Dhampir has them gain Natural Armor +2, Damage Reduction 5/Magic and Resistance (Cold/Electricity) 10 at 2nd level, with them increasing to NA +4 and DR 10/Magic at 3rd Level, but Bloody Decision, received at 1st level, implies that which of these powers manifest depend son the Dhampir's choice to embrace or resist their darker instincts. So which manifest dependant on which choice?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

For some reason, when I go to the Library to download QtR14, the link connects to QtR13 (as does the actual QtR13 link...). :(

Edit: That's the "pdf" file logo; the words Issue 14 point to the Issue 14 zip file, though.

Edit again: Which said link produces a 404 error. :lament:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I downloaded it from the front page without a problem.

I do like the races, particularly the Booged (we need more +int races in D&D in general, and these are so wonderfully fiendish), though I found midgets an odd choice. Still, who am I to judge?

Haven't read the rest of it yet, but I am looking forward to the wine.....makers. Really.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Ah, yes, the front page. Worked at last. :D

Being a dhampir fan (the fact that I took my forum nick not from CAS's "The Enchantress of Sylaire" but from the Sylaire family of dhampir from my original fiction doesn't have anything to do with that, eh? :wink: ) I was glad to see them featured...

...noticed the same thing as Hell_Born. Some significant text appears to be missing governing the Bloody Decision. In addition, there are a number of references to dhampir feeding instincts (under "Alignment" and "Sunlight Vulnerability," for example) which call out for rules clarification--how much blood does a dhampir drink? Can they subsist on blood only like a vampire, or do they need normal food also? How much blood qualifies as "having fed"? Are there any statistical/ability benefits or penalties to feeding? What effect does feeding have on the victim/donee? Come to think of it, would a dhampir feeding on blood from a willing donor qualify for a powers check just 'cause it's tapping into a necromantic/undead power source to begin with?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Traditionally, we're supposed to be tortured creatures that lead a lonely existence, generally fighting the demonic blood within us by spending our lives hunting the supernatural, only to die tortured and alone. I guess that's why the legends don't usually tell that the condition can be passed on down the bloodline. The old stories don't contemplate things like a dhampir having a spouse and kids. Ruins the Gothic poetry of it, I guess."--Erica Sylaire, "What Price the Night?"
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:D Nice! Will steal Boggy Downs for my game!Image
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I'd also like to point out that, in the Races of the Mists (Gnomes) article (something that has actually afflicted all of the RotM articles in the past, actually), there are some paragraphs where all the words are jammed together, making it hard to read. Also, I think the articles on Wineries and Smithies of the core are supposed to be switched around, as the former is labelled as being the 2nd article and the latter is labelled as being the first article.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Sorry about that.

The links have been fixed.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Rafael wrote::D Nice! Will steal Boggy Downs for my game!Image
I had the privilege to read it before it was published, and I did use it too in my game :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just a very quick and flippant question:

What does the barcode on the back do? Is it a valid ISBN or is it just for show?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gnomes speak Greek! ! ! Nice!

Anyway, very good work.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
Rafael wrote::D Nice! Will steal Boggy Downs for my game!Image
I had the privilege to read it before it was published, and I did use it too in my game :)

Joël
I think I will use it as part of this setting:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24330

:)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK, it may sound a silly question but... where do we comment the new QtR? IIRC there was usually a thread about commenting it and voting our favorite article.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Feel free to make your own thread here or in the Netbooks forum. We'll take praise anywhere really...
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I included two sentences in my document that were written in white type. I did not expect them to show up in the final QtR netbook, but the fact that they did brings a smile to my lips.

They are:
While smoking a pipe. And dating the Simbul.