Comments on the 4th Ed fact thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Comments on the 4th Ed fact thread

Post by alhoon »

It is a good thing IMO that the 4th edition Fact thread is locked. That way we can easily see the updates that the Frat is so conveniently placing there. I have to admit that this is the only place I look for 4th edition updates and I'm very happy with the way it is arranged and updated.

Yet I have thought many times some comment I would like to make. Some of these comments deserve their own threads. Some others though don't seem so important, so I decided to open this one.

This thread is about commenting things seen in the fact thread (or just thanking the FoS for doing such a good work in this field), not so much about saying how much you love 4th/hate it etc.

Enjoy. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

About Zombies, Rottipher gave us this description about the article:
Some info about 4E zombies, this time from the online Dragon #360. Key game-mechanical changes: they're tougher, can do significant damage without weapons, and will be vulnerable to critical hits. Other changes are that they'll attack in swarms, Romero-flick-style, and will be statted up by size rather than species (e.g. "Medium zombie" rather than "orc zombie", etc).
The author of the article seems optimistic IMO. What I get from the article is that effectively they will change zombies in 4th edition to the following or effectively the following (i.e similar changes with the new mechanics):
- Damage reduction changed to the equivalent for 4th edition to 5/- (tough, soak much damage without harm)
- Hit Points increase by 5-10 whatever the means, probably by increasing their HD (so they get better attacks too).
- slam that does 1d6+6 damage or something similar.
- Better hit rolls, so they strike true more often. I guess their hit roll would be the equivalent of a +6 or +7 total in the 3rd edition.
- Ability to grapple the opponent without an attack of opportunity, but probably not with just scoring a hit.
- It the opponent is pinned they can probably bite/eat him doing damage automatically just mantaining the hold.

All in all, they get an upgrade IMO that makes them more in theme with the movies and what we think, more powerful compared to 1st and 2nd level characters but considering the upgrades the character classes are getting, even 20 zombies still won't give enough pause to a party of 6th level characters.

About the saves: I'm stealing their saving throw alteration immediately. I mean it is far easier to have the evil wizard roll 1d20+modifiers for the "save DC" of his fireball and compare the result with the reflex "10+modifiers" of the players instead of rolling each player's saving throw against the DC.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

The saving throw mechanic seems a workable streamline. So saves now function as though they were AC, then? (Where AC is effectively "taking 10" on your defense roll and adding armor and Dex bonuses.)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Works for me, fewer things to roll without any actual change.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

It seems to me like the zombie grapple attack is much nastier than that. They talk about how zombies can drag you down to the ground and munch on you. So I'm guessing that they will probably have some kind of combined attack ability. Like the more zombies that attack you, the higher their to-hit bonus is. Something like that.

I also like that their zombies will be faster and smarter. It sounds pretty nasty to me.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Do I understand it right that zombies are potentially subject to critical hits?

I personally think that too many things are immune to crits. To me, a crit means that you were lucky enough to hit a vital area. It's luck, not aim, for the most part. So saying that a creature has an unusual biology is silly; if it has remotely vital organs, they might get hit in combat. The fact that creature's brain is hidden in its rear end, and it has two hearts on opposite sides of its body is irrelevant.

More's the point, I think it ought to be possible to get a critical hit on creatures without vital organs. So a stone golem doesn't have hamstrings, but if you stick a (presumably magical) sword in its leg at the right angle, you can maximize the area of your hit and possibly restrict movement. What do you call that?

Sorry for the rant, but I was curious about this issue with zombies and crits. So what's the deal?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Well, the word according to the R&D blogs is that zombies will be crit-able. It's more in keeping with the movies, in which a head shot kills a zombie, and as soon as you find that out in a zombie movie, everyone becomes an expert at making head-shots. :D

That's what we kind of did in our zombie game. Because zombies don't respond to a heart-shot or a liver-shot, we ruled that everyone had to take 1 off of their critical threat range when attacking zombies. But...they were still crit-able.

-Guy De Maupassant
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:They talk about how zombies can drag you down to the ground and munch on you. So I'm guessing that they will probably have some kind of combined attack ability. Like the more zombies that attack you, the higher their to-hit bonus is. Something like that.
Actually, if you listen to the "monsters" podcast carefully, it sounds like it won't just be zombies that are more dangerous in teams. There seems to be an effort underway to make grunt-troop minions in general more of a threat, so that a BBEG's lackeys can put up a significant fight, rather than just delay the heroes on their way to the villain. They want to resolve a few of the down sides to 3E's CR system, such as how PC parties who are up to fighting fire giants can walk through those giants' hellhounds without breaking a sweat.

I expect that teamwork will pay off significantly for hordes of bad guys, and possibly for PCs who have their own support-troops (hirelings, animal companions), also. How it might do so, I'm not sure; it could be anything from an increase in the flanking bonus if foes are surrounded, to the use of the "mob" template from Cityscape.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: I expect that teamwork will pay off significantly for hordes of bad guys, and possibly for PCs who have their own support-troops (hirelings, animal companions), also. How it might do so, I'm not sure; it could be anything from an increase in the flanking bonus if foes are surrounded, to the use of the "mob" template from Cityscape.
I'm thinking that it's going to be something brand, brand new. From what I've seen, 4th Edition is going to be very different from 3rd Edition. Looking at the new stat blocks, monsters don't have Feats, they have certain "types" such as Brute, etc. I think that there will be some brand new bag of tricks that they will be pulling from.

-Guy De Maupassant
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Erg.. I've been keeping a pretty open mind, but the more I hear stuff like that, the less interesting in 4e I become. The fact that monsters and PC's use (mostly) the same streamlined rules was one of the great beauties of 3.x, IMHO.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

We'll have to see.

What the 4th Edition designers have said is that they want to have monster design be much simpler and easy for DMs. So that you can whip up a monster in a few minutes, instead of spending alot of time choosing its feats, skiils, etc.

-Guy De Maupassant
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

New Zombie Information

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

Zombies!

Well, here's some more information about zombies, from the D&D Insider:
* The chillborn zombie is "even tougher than normal.... Life-sapping cold streams from the creature, and the more chillborn zombies in a group, the deeper the freeze.... When a chillborn strikes you, you just might freeze in place, still able to fight back but unable to flee.... Chillborn deal more damage to immobilized victims."
* The corruption zombie is "so tainted that its body constantly exudes putrid flesh" which it tears off and throws at its foes. "If one of [these pieces] of corruption strikes you, [...] not only does [it deal damage], but [it] also weakens you." What's more, "the stink of death is so strong near the creature, so sickening, that it can overwhelm the fortitude of the hardiest warrior, slowing his movement and enfeebling his attacks."
* The gravehound zombie is "usually created from the corpse of a sizeable dog" and is "much faster than normal zombies." Furthermore, "their bite causes continuing decomposition around the wound [that] persist even after the gravehound is destroyed." Finally, "when the gravehound goes down, it lashes out one final time. If it hits you, its jaws lock ntil you can use brute force to open [them]."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Seems like monsters are taking a page out of the mini game which showed how simple you can make D&D and combat. Which is good. And I like the idea of condensing all possible classes for monsters into simple roles with built-in feats and abilities.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote: I'm thinking that it's going to be something brand, brand new. From what I've seen, 4th Edition is going to be very different from 3rd Edition. Looking at the new stat blocks, monsters don't have Feats, they have certain "types" such as Brute, etc. I think that there will be some brand new bag of tricks that they will be pulling from.
I think you're mistaken here Ivana. They are categorized for conveniency along such broad concept lines but they also have feats IMO.
gonzoron wrote:Erg.. I've been keeping a pretty open mind, but the more I hear stuff like that, the less interesting in 4e I become. The fact that monsters and PC's use (mostly) the same streamlined rules was one of the great beauties of 3.x, IMHO.
Agreed about the monsters/ players common rules. I keep my faith, hopes and expectations high though. I believe that while most of the monsters won't be designed to be PC races they will again follow the same rules as players. No more weird saves for them or 5d8+1 hp. That's a thing of the past and it should remain there.
My DMGuild work!
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

All right, but check out these 4th Edition monster D&D stats. Image

And here are the stats a little clearer:

SPINED DEVIL
Medium Immortal Humanoid (Devil)
LEVEL 6 SKIRMISHER
INIT +5 SPD 5 FLY 7
Senses: nethersight. Perception +5
Resist fire 20
Attacks: Melee 2 claws +9 vs AC each: 2d4+4
Spine Rain Standard; ranged 10; +9 Dex vs. Ref; 1d6+2 + 2d6 fire AND Poisoned 5, Slowed while Poisoned
SKILLS: Spot +10
AC 20
FORT 18
REF 18
WILL 18
HP/Bloodied 47/23
Str +7 (19) Con +5 (14) Dex +5 (15)
Int +5 (15) Wis +5 (14) Cha +5 (15)

Right off of the bat we see some stuff missing. No alignment! :shock:

No hit dice or CR. There's a reference to the monster being a "Skirmisher" so I'm thinking that instead of feats, the monster will have abilities tied into its type. Also, there are two sets of hit points. I'm guessing that when you get down to "bloodied" a character starts to take penalties from injury.

Here's the site where I got the peek:
http://www.hackslash.net/?p=152[/img]

-Guy De Maupassant