Kartakass: The Nova Vaasa Chapter

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius frowns at Valerian's remark. His attitude seemed subtly different since he had arrived in Nova Vaasa.What word had been missing from his lips? Lucius never liked cut sentences hanging in mid-air, and that 'Ou...' did not make him comfortable. To be true, every secret, from the moment he gained conscience there was one, never failed to make him uncomfortable, until it simply ceased to be a secret.

But what worried him most was the comment about graveyards. Surely he knew that to properly copy spells one has need of a quiet place with good lighting and an even surface to read and write with ease. Surely he was not expecting them to use the graves of the dead as tables? Why was he so keen to make them stay out of the house, and at night too?

He looked quizically at the other wizzards, as if hoping for answers.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van is the first who gets Lucius' glance. Despite the wizard hasn't understood why the Warden has mentioned the graveyards at his attempt to force them go and talk about magic outside, says:

"Well friends, Valerian is right Kantora seems to be a nice city and after all the time we have passed in the coach, walking a bit will be nice. We will back for supper Tarlyn."
Last edited by VAN on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn and William head out after the evening meal, saying not to wait up.
Word was left in Alex' room for where to join them as Tarlyn did find out that there was a gambling hall on the other side of the city and that was where they were off to.

As you pass from the Merchant's district into the West District it becomes readily apparent that there is a big difference between those who have and those who don't.

There is garbage in the streets and even some lines the alleys. The houses are of poor quality. The ditches are lined with bloated corpseswith diseased and bloodied wounds. The smell is almost too unbearable but you finally make it to your destination. The bulding looks like a warehouse on the outside. Only one door is apparent. The whole trek, Tarlyn and William talk about this or that, but Tarlyn always keeps his eyes open for any sign of trouble.

Walking up to the door and opening it, you pass through, closing hte door behind you. A dimly lit staircase descends below and you can hear the distinct sounds of music and humanity wafting up from below. You descend the stairs to an entrance where 2 huge muscualr men stand, their eyes on the esatblishment as well as both Tarlyn and William.

"That's 5 sp entry, gents," one says, eyeing tarlyn and William up and down. Tarlyn hands over 15 sp, saying to the bouncer, "I am expecting a friend, this is for us as well as him." HE goes on to describe Alex and then both he and William enter the gambling hall.

There is a big mass of humanity here. All kinds of people can be found. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and even Gnomes!! There are tables with all kinds of card games as well as dimly lit alcoves with 2 and 3 place love seats. Along the walls are paintings and curtains. Mixed in amongst the tables are bars with stools, some occupied, some not. You can plainly see that people from all walks of life are accepted here.

The evening passes pleasantly. You find an unoccupied 3 place love seat and sit there most of the evening. Tarlyn disappears after Alex arrives, but returns 30 minutes later with a nod to Alex and a wink to William. You hear runmors about some signature killer who stalks lower class women killing and mutilating them. MOstly in Liara but some women have been murdered in Kantora and on the rare occasion in Bergovista. The latest one has happened in Liara. This has been going on for many years. People have different theories on the culprit. SOme say it is a vampire, others a cult. A few say it is a disembodied spirit.

The evening passes well enough and you head back around 3 am to the Inn. Al in all , William got stinking drunk and a good time was had by Tarlyn and Alex.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

As the evening passes on, William expresses his disgust in the so called "Signiture Killer"...repeatedly. Occasionaly spouting off about the cowardess and wretchedness and down right villainous of such a culprit, Vampire or not. At some point he offers his own theory on who the culprit is. A Sea Wolf! He goes on and on about how the Sea Wolf is a creature much like the beasties who attacked the party, except they are only found at sea, and how he believes one could have found its way to the main land of Nov Vassa via the Dnar River.
Oh how tragic that would be.

[OOC: FYI , William being not as scholarly as most of the party has only heard tell of very few actual supernatural creatures, hence the repeated Sea Wolf references.]
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven has no idea what time it is when they stagger back carrying William between them. After Tarlyn and he dump William in bed he bids the drow good night...

Kantora has been interesting, werewolves and serial killers, still there is a long road ahead tommorrow, best make the most of a decent bed tonight he thinks as he closes the door to his room and for the first time in days removes his travel worn clothes. He stretches his muscles before sinking into bed and passing into a dreamless sleep.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Walking at the Merchant's district with the other wizards, Van looks around trying to understand if anyone is following them. The evoker hopes that the loud noise made from the merchants and the many people who are trading or talking would be enough to cover their discussion.

Van contacts his familiar:

"Ace, fly high and keep an eye on us. If you see someone following us let me know."

Then says to the others:

"Well friends, during our travel you have seen many good things. Are you interested in something particular? Talking about myself, do you remember two days ago Josephine and her friends, it would be nice if I could do something to them, something touching. Do you have anything in mind?

OOC> Van asks you if you want any of the spells you have seen him cast (till now) and if you have a spell which is touch attack.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Well, yes, you are quite talented in that area, indeed. I don't myself have very expertise in that kind of intimate interaction... I'd rather more act from a distance, so I might not have any knowledge to interest you... But in truth, I'm always interested in learning something new. But should you be interested in some lessons on protecting your space and hiding from enemies... then I might help.

[OOC: Lucius is offering spells like Alarm, Mage Armor and Invisibility.]
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OOC: In all honesty the safest place to discuss about magic is in the privacy of your rooms. Trust me when I tell you that bu speaking about even in code, the streets are not a very good place for it, ok?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

5 a.m July 3rd,760: Outside the Maiden's Scarf

The party had to wake both William and Alexander. Unfortunately they fell back asleep so thay had to be carried to the coachman! It's way too early for this but you manage to get them inside the coachman and settle in for the ride to Bergovista. As usual, Tarlyn rides ahead. Those of you awake enough realise that Josephine looks like she didn't sleep well. Then again you'd sleep terribly if you were traveling amongst strangers and some of them did not trust you.

AS you peer out of the coachman, yo can see how the city changes drastically from the Merchant's quarter to the poor section of town, just as Tarlyn, William and Alex noticed the evening before. The only difference now is that there are beggars now on the streets. The coachman exits Kantora and heads for Bergovista.

It takes 2 days to travel to Bergovista with nothing special happening. Tarlyn does the hunting for the party and you all marvel at how much meat that Josephine can eat. When the coachman stops for meals and sleep, Josephine and Tarlyn go a few meters away from the coachman. here he begins to teach her how to defend her self with a short sword as well as with her hands and feet. When anyone says anything to him about this, he replies "Well if we get into trouble she will need to defend herself, as I am sure that the Warden will be preoccupied with our opponents. That's how it has to be."

You enter Bergovista midmorning, July 5th. The city is not as big as Kantora. The houses are pretty much the same as in Kantora. The big difference here that you notice is the Market. Bergovista is the waystation in trade between Kantora and the west of the core. You pull up to an Inn which is called the Inn at Bergovista.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius gets out of the wagon and begins to unload his bags. He turns to his fellow mages and asks:

''Van, Lucius, Marentor- maybe we should get adjacent rooms? We can hold a conference with greater ease and privacy that way. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Inn at Bergovista

Post by steveflam »

The Inn at Bergovista appears pretty much the same as the Maiden's Scarf from the outside. What really strikes you as odd is, even though it is near the noon meal, you see street gangs walking around in the wide open. What is even more bizarre is the police do not bother with them. You see the gangs enter establishments, causing all kinds of trouble, yet the police do nothing.

OOC:Whomever has been to Bergovista roll a d20 and give me the result. I need to know how long you stayed in Bergovista.

Tarlyn again enters the establishment first and tries to get you all rooms. As with in Kantora, he is having no luck at all.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Of course Cornelius, that's an excellent idea. It's much better that way."

Says Van very happy. Then as they wait he says:

"I have been here 3 days, but I don't remeber much of the city."

OOC> Tarlyn I get 5 to d20.
Last edited by VAN on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OOC> Tarlyn I get 5 to d20.
Ok nothing and you were only here for 3 days.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

[Rolled a 19]

Cornelius looks distracted for a moment. He squats down and snatches a big beetle crawling across the ground. Putting it into his bag, a crunching sound can be heard from within.

''You like it, eh? That's a good boy, eat it up.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Warden Grane got out of the coach, turning to help Sefi out of it. He surveyed the rather dismal streets, the armed violence and misery all over.

"Wretched city..." Valerian shook his head in sorrow. These things depressed him if he thought to long on them.

"Come, let us go help Friend Tarlyn get some rooms. For all that hardship strengthens the soul, good food and rest strengthen the body, and we'll have need of it when we arrive at Kartakass."

The Warden entered the inn, followed by his regular shadow of Josephine.

"What appears to be amiss here?"

[OOC: Valerian's never been this far south of the Darkon-Vaasi border.]
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing