D&D Monster Photochop on Somethingawful.com

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

D&D Monster Photochop on Somethingawful.com

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

"Photoshop Phriday" is a weekly photochop display by regulars on Somethingawful.com, an immensely popular humor website. This week's "Phriday" features six pages of D&D monsters, most of which I'm having a hard time to recognize. I got the beholder, lillend, thri-kreen, gelatinous cube, treant and owlbear; the rest are beyond me.

Linkypoo: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photosh ... php?page=1

Of course, Phriday has always been known to be extremely irreverent, but that's juts me. :)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I think several are from Lords of Madness; there was a neothelid in there, certainly (also a griffin and what I think was a kuo-toa wearing a wig :P).
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Breaking it down by page:

Page 1: owlbear, don't know, griffin, don't know
Page 2: lizard man, lizard man, medusa or lamia, kuo-toa, purple worm?
Page 3: 2 flail snails (Fiend Folio), 2 thri-kreen
Page 4: don't know, aboleth?, gibbering mouther, roper, stone golem (or giant)
Page 5: wolf-in-sheep's-clothing (okay, this one wins the Obscure Award), (evil?) treant, 2 beholders
Page 6: no idea about the first 3, gelatinous cube.

Should I be embarassed about how many I did recognize, *especially* the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I think the pics' creator should be embarassed that there are two versions of the freakin' flail snail. Sheeesh, what's next: flumphs playing poker?

I think the last one on p.2 is supposed to be a grick, although it's not to scale. The second and third on the last page are probably a gray render and a yrthak.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:what I think was a kuo-toa wearing a wig :P).
I remember a picture a lot like that, which appeared in one of the old RoleAids supplements from the 80s. However, the illustration I'm thinking of was of a West African sea-god, not a monster. If it is supposed to be that deity, I think it beats the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing out for the "obscure" prize.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

The last one on page 2 is the neothelid; at least, I think that's what it's supposed to be. (It sure looks like a neothelid.) <--(pause to consider the ridiculousness of this statement)
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Brandi wrote:Page 6: no idea about the first 3
I figured that they were an elemental (air or smoke?), a gray render, and a yrthak. I'm pretty sure on the first two, although the third doesn't match as closely.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
Brandi wrote:Page 6: no idea about the first 3
I figured that they were an elemental (air or smoke?), a gray render, and a yrthak. I'm pretty sure on the first two, although the third doesn't match as closely.
I think the first might be a composite elemental or skriaxit (sp?). It looks a lot like the 2e Monstrous Manual's composite elemental picture.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Those are great.

The first one on page 6 is an excellent depiction of a Black Cloud of Vengeance from Al Qadim MC14.

Believed to be the creations of those who broke the Laws of the Loregiver in the early days of the world. No culture is without tales of the Black Clouds, giving testiment to their devastating power. Although they are extraordinarily rare, no culture in the Land of Fate is without tales of the Black Clouds, giving testament to their devastating power. Many believe that there is only one cloud, although the learned sages maintain that there are, in fact, several.
The Black Clouds are incredibly powerful monsoonlike beings. They appear to be sentient thunderclouds, moving contrary to the course dictated by the wind if it suits them. Their roiling depths do little to conceal the occasional flares of bright red lightning; the winds that precede their coming echo with thunder. Their winds carry particles of soot and ash, darkening the ground and the air as they approach.
As a Black Cloud draws near, the winds increase their fury, blowing not only ashes but also the sand that lay before and beneath the cloud in its previous paths. The sound and fury at this point are rivaled only by the fiercest sandstorms of the desert.
If a cloud approaches this closely, the best anyone can hope for is that it will veer away from its course. Otherwise, there is little or no hope of survival.

Number two is an umber hulk.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Brandi wrote:Breaking it down by page:

Page 1: owlbear, don't know, griffin, don't know
Page 2: lizard man, lizard man, medusa or lamia, kuo-toa, purple worm?
Page 3: 2 flail snails (Fiend Folio), 2 thri-kreen
Page 4: don't know, aboleth?, gibbering mouther, roper, stone golem (or giant)
Page 5: wolf-in-sheep's-clothing (okay, this one wins the Obscure Award), (evil?) treant, 2 beholders
Page 6: no idea about the first 3, gelatinous cube.

Should I be embarassed about how many I did recognize, *especially* the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing?
The wolf-in-sheep´s-clothing is great.

page 2 Certainly no D&D medusa and i think no lamia either. Something from Al Qadim or Planescape perhaps?
page 3 I think the last one isn´t supposed to be a thri kreen
page 4 stone golem? i think not. neither stone giant. At first I though it was a Mara (from FR MC11) but that doesn´t quite fit either.

EDIT: Page 1, nr. 2 could be a Giant Strider maybe? The pic in the 1E MM has spots on its hide which you could mistake for a giraffe. I havn´t got MC annual 3 or the FR MC though.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

p2-3 is definately a Lillend
p2-5 could be a grick or a neothelid

p4-1 is apparently a Greater Siege Crab (picture)

p6-3 is an Yrthak (picture)