Kartakass: Beginnings OOC Thread

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Dont' worry, AG, August is a slow month anyway :-)
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ok so now all players know, I am ending the game here because I am too involved with music right now to really put effort into it. I even quit my real life ravenloft game to focus on my band.

Have to say you guys are a great group of players and it was an honor dming you! I'll still be around in ewan's games of course. Being a player is much easier than dming ;) And the game ends in a good place.

Steve
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Well, I wasn't expecting that!

We are in a good place to take a break or stop, I suppose. After all, the party is essentially in-between adventures.

Cornelius will try to get a job teaching at the university.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Following Ewan's lead, to describe what Lucius would do:

he will return to the Temple, try to lend some service there. Since being a teacher at the university seems to be popular at the time, I'll pass on that this time :D. Lucius wants a change of life, after all.

Of course, on a more personal note, and assuming the bad guys go on vacation with the DM (:P), he'll go on courting Deari, and will ask her hand in marriage.

After that, he'd eventually have to travel to Barovia, so he'll use the time in Martira Bay to study at the temple and to improve his combat skills.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Comments on the game in general, even from those of you who aren't involved in it would be welcome. Your likes, dislikes[ planehopping was one of them I know :P]. I'll put together an epilogue which will leave you all satifsfied ;)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

EPILOGUE!!!

PROS:
  • good descriptive passages from the DM
    players encouraged to roleplay/build story by interaction
    pro handling of combat and spell effects/other mechanics
    travel opportunities in-game, local color included

CONS:
The side tour to FR seemed kinda...well...I'm not sure what was going on there. That isn't to say I truly disliked it , but I'm just not sure what it added to the story.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I enjoyed playing from the point I entered and thought that it carried it's self quite well. No negative comments to come to mind... Positive are mainly that it seemed well paced and the players all did extremely well staying in character including the DM...

Still going to miss it but thank you for my first online experience...

As for Deari well I guess she would for the time being settle in with Lucius though one of these days they would have to visit her adoptive mother Aggie and such... As for employment well she may have to work at that a teeny bit considering her having to please Lucius parents...

Looking forward to this Epilogue1 :)
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hi all,

this post is really just to answer Steve's question directly.

I liked the game as a whole and I think all the players have to be thanked for it. From the start there's been very good roleplaying and very good description from each other, which actually made me develop Lucius more than I had thought. To focus on the DM points, I highlight the following.

Positive points:
- a nice tour or Ravenloft, very convenient for me as this was my first experience as a player in this setting
- good choice of domains, with abundant travel too, without too strange things (no Bluetspur, for example... that's always a plus for me =) )
- frequent posting, good handling of the mechanics and nice props when needed
- adoption of hooks and suggestions from the Ravenloft literature, including Gazzetteers.

Negative points:

there is just one point I think may have been a bit negative. There was a certain tendency to make Tarlyn and Jacob so uber-powerful they were more DMPCs than NPCs. Also, some problems, especially in the last part, were solved too conveniently, like when we'd have to look for an inn Delsenora would appear knowing all of our predicament and offering a place.

But it made the game go faster too, which is on the good side.

All in all, it was a good game with far more positives that negatives.

Alex
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

I had a great time over all, and that is with thanks to everyone who played and to Tarlyn for running a great PbP.

As far as pro's go, many of what I noticed are repetitive of what others have already said. I felt that everyone did a fantastic job playing in character.
At the beginning of the game, I had doubts since William was one of I think two PCs in the party who was not a spell caster. I made an incorrect assessment at the beginning of the game that I would have a hard time keeping the who's who of the party straight because of it. It didn't take me long to realize I was wrong as everyone quickly fell into character and left know doubt from my point of view as to who there characters where.

Another pro was that we were allowed a great width of in character development. Too often, I have had DMs, in table top games, who would rather push there story along and felt such relationship building was wasting their time. In the span of this game we saw an in game love bloom, an alcoholic recovery, the actual mourning of a defeated party member and many other instances in which in character growth truly had an environment to thrive.

As far as cons go, I have only one. During the beginning-middle area of the campaign, there was a couple weeks or maybe even a month were all sense of direction seemed to vanish. This may have been the time that we went to FR, so if it is I apologize for being repetitive. At that time I had serious doubts as to whether we were going to finish a single plot line. Thankfully that hump didn't last long and we ended up back on track not shortly after.

Over all, I had one of the best gaming experiences as a player on this PbP, which I feel is something quite extraordinary. To put that in context, last year marked that I have been a role player for half of my life (14 yrs at the time). I have played a lot of games with people from all over the country.

I stated it in my email reply to the original notification of the ending of this game, but I will post it here as well. If at anytime you choose to pick the game back up or start a new one, let me know. I would definitely be interested in playing again. Especially so if it is with this same group of players.

Thanks everyone.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I saw this late! Sorry!

Was a great game and I'm honoured to have been part of it :) Tarlyn if in near future you have more time and you decide to continue it count me in for sure!

Van will craft his headband and if Lucius and Deari wants him he will accompany them to Barovia. Then he will try to level as wizard, learn more things about magic, get new spells etc.

PROS:

I liked the RL travels we did
The RP was good
The FR trip was funny
We met cool famous RL people as the twins, George, Van Richen

CON:
there is just one point I think may have been a bit negative. There was a certain tendency to make Tarlyn and Jacob so uber-powerful they were more DMPCs than NPCs.

I totally agree with that and this was the only CON for me. Some times I felt that we were doomed without them and we were just there seeing them in action unable to do anything useful. I preferred when we dealt ourselves with the situations.

But except that was a great game thanks to everyone :)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The epilogue will take me about a week from today to work out.

I'll incorporate everything, from the next mission, to your own personal endeavors afterwards, to a trip to Barovia[Again!] to the end, for now!

What you can expect in the epilogue:

1. Mission for the Order - almost lose a friend
2. A marvelous wedding. A new addition to the party?
3. Hard work has its benefits :twisted:
4. A long and arduous voyage. Where is he?
5. Long and sad return to home.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

If anyone wants me to put something in the epilogue for their pc's, let me know before I am done by next weekend ;)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ok I posted the epilogue! Hope you all like it, guys and gals....
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:D Hey! I lurked occasionally, and liked this game a lot!

Congrats, Steve, and all you others!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Aha! Hey Raf and thanks!