Kartakass: Beginnings OOC Thread

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Kartakass: Beginnings OOC Thread

Post by steveflam »

OK anything out of chat will be said here so we don't type OOC in the Game thread ;)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Character creation rules? Particularly how to get ability scores? Any house rules we should know of (particularly with regards to firearms)? Other things in that vein?
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm interested in playing a human wizard who was expelled (or chose to leave) a Darkonian private school of magic. He'll be somewhat haunted by his arcane past, possibly in the form of DM-permitted enemies, or possibly in the form of a spell gone wrong, etc.

If permissible, I'm toying with the idea of multiclassing him to something that's a little exotic. Rogue, Fighter, or possibly Monk might work.

For this campaign, I'll tone down my sense of humor and will be fairly serious instead. If the DM allows a character to behave in an amoral fashion, that's probably the route I'm most leaning towards. (I don't intend to play a character that's out-and-out evil, but I like my do-gooders with a good helping of shades of grey too).

DM's thoughts?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

dowser

Post by ewancummins »

My initial concept was alright, but I've got something better.

I'm going to play a dwarf wizard[ also from Darkon- maybe my PC knows HuManBing's PC?]. He's skilled and knowledgeable in a number of fields, but his specialty is finding lost or hidden things or persons. He employs dowsing rods on a regular basis, having become quite adept in their use.

He is a professional wizard for hire. He has helped miners discover rich veins of ore, farmers locate a good spot to dig a well, found missing children, and even joined parties of adventurers as they ventured into haunted ruins or deep caverns in search of treasure.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I'm interested in playing a human wizard who was expelled (or chose to leave) a Darkonian private school of magic. He'll be somewhat haunted by his arcane past, possibly in the form of DM-permitted enemies, or possibly in the form of a spell gone wrong, etc.

If permissible, I'm toying with the idea of multiclassing him to something that's a little exotic. Rogue, Fighter, or possibly Monk might work.

For this campaign, I'll tone down my sense of humor and will be fairly serious instead. If the DM allows a character to behave in an amoral fashion, that's probably the route I'm most leaning towards. (I don't intend to play a character that's out-and-out evil, but I like my do-gooders with a good helping of shades of grey too).
Nothing wrong with a sense of humor at all just if it's not overdone of course!I have confidence in you fellas as well for roleplaying your p.c's ;) Multiclassing is fine with me. I am not very strict on the background at all. In fact there is a strong possibilty of me incorparating
your backgrounds into the game ;)

Ewan check your pm I responded to yours ;)

Character creation rules? Particularly how to get ability scores? Any house rules we should know of (particularly with regards to firearms)? Other things in that vein?

Ability scores roll them or use the P.C generator for RL made by pathguy.

As long as you are reasonable with your scores and book choices(do not forget you are from RL and not another setting ;) You all know not everything is available in RL as it is elsewhere. Firearms of course I allow them.

House rules well I am not that hard to get along with. Just be reasonable in your character creation is all. P.S no magic items although if one of you has a fair score in some knowledges you are aware of some things.

Now you guys should decide if you know each other beforehand or not as well.

Hmmm I guess 2 house rules really....

RL native and no magic items. I wont get fussy about your equipment as long as it is reasonable. VRA(Van RIchten's Arsenal is a good book for some things).
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just an update. I got some surprisingly good rolls the first time round (12, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18 - dropped lowest 10). I wanted to check those to make sure they weren't overbalanced. If any other PCs has a low score, I can give up some points to restore equilibrium! :)

However, I have a couple of questions for Tarlyn, the DM.

Spells known: My character is going to be a Monk2/Wiz3. The PHB assumes the Wizard will start off with (3 + Int bonus) L1 spells, then get 2 extra spells of any level each time he levels up. However, the PHB also says he gets to copy any spells he encounters.

Question: Should I just assume my character has the minimum number of spells? Or can you give me a few extra through the five character levels' worth of adventuring?

Gold pieces value of equipment: I would like to know how many gold pieces we can spend overall.

Question: Should we use the progression table in the DMG page 135, which suggests at L5 we should have 9,000 gp? Or should we just assume we keep our L1 starting gold? Or would you prefer us to use a different formula?

Types of equipment:

This is closely linked with the question about GP value of equipment above. I know Tarlyn specifically said no magical items. I have two questions.

Question: Does that mean my character can't scribe any scrolls? (This depends also on his GP to see how much he can spend.)

Question: Does that mean my character can't own any Alchemical things he's created with his Craft (Alchemy) skill? (This depends on GP too.)

A note to EwanCummins - I'm leaning very heavily towards making my Monk/Wizard a combat-heavy caster. I wanted to check with you and make sure that's all right. It sounds like your dwarf will have a good deal of divination and other noncombat spells, so I thought I'd fill this gap.

Let me know if that's the case. If not, we can confer with Tarlyn to try to eliminate any redundancy.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

HuManBing:

I think our two characters will complement each other well. No need to change anything about your dude. You can be the battle mage. I'll pick up the slack on information gathering and general utility spless. There's always the possibility of swapping spells later in play.

So, do you think our two characters should begin play knowing each other? Perhaps we went to the same wizard school?

Just out of curiousity, what sort of monk are we talking about? Is he a Oriental type or something else entirely? I always liked the monks from Paridon. I imagine them as using canes and something like Baritsu. The V ictorian feel seemed better suited to Ravenloft than the usual ninja/Shao Lin warrior stuff.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Hmmm.... I feel like I ought to get in on this act.

I'm thinking a Darkonian Cleric of Ezra, from the Nevuchar Springs sect. Probably with the Ghostsight or Ethereal Empathy feats, I haven't quite decided. A fire and brimstone preacher, puritanical but just.

Perhaps all three of the Darkonians are connected? I doubt they'd be friends, but they might be known to each other, particularly if the preacher has some localized fame (or infamy) in an area.

Maybe he's moving in to spread the worship of Ezra to an area that isn't traditionally followers of her? Which also happens to be where the private mage's college is?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metagame wise, he'd provide healing and backup tanking, so provided we can get a rogue or something, I think we'll have all the bases covered.

Edit: Also, are we starting at level four or level five?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Answers to your questions:

Ewancummins - Okay, that works out well. My character is very strongly tied to an Asian culture (herein referred to as "the Hua Empire" - this could be an undiscovered domain in Ravenloft, or just a plain Asian outworld, depending on how Tarlyn likes it). He is half-Hua, owing to his father, and half-Western, owing to his mother. He got much more Hua input during his childhood, and even attended a monastery that the Hua community had set up in Nevuchar Springs. Later on, his mother influenced his admission to a Western-style magical school.

NeoTiamat - I've rolled up Marentor to be a L5 character. (Of course I can knock one level off his Wiz class if need be.)

[I removed the stats of my character and put them in the thread created for character introductions.]
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

As you mentioned needing a rogue, Ive come up with:

Alexander Draven (Rogue lvl4)

Tall, pale and gauntly handsome man in his late twenties, Alexander Draven is the epitome of a confident, professional adventurer. A private person, but rather exuberant in gesture and expression, who actively seeks the thrill of the challenge, Draven has gained somewhat of a reputation across the western core as an “acquirer of artefacts” and a “repairer of reputations”. In other words he is a thief, and a damn good one, known for the quality of his work and the efficiency of his methods. He wanders from city to city and appears always ready for whatever comes his way.

He usually dresses in functional, sombre clothing, which covers all but his head and hands, the back of which he has a nervous habit of scratching. There is also something about his eyes that doesnt quite gel with the heroic persona he projects.

Background

Born in Il Aluk to noble parents, Draven had the best of everything as a child, until the day his father displeased Azalin Rex and disappeared into the grim fastness. His mother took her own life shortly afterwards leaving young Alexander to fend for himself. He fell in with a local street gang affiliated with the thieves’ guild, and slowly learnt his skills, gaining respect and admiration as he did. He never forgot his father and actively searched for what he could learn of his fate. He was charged with a mission to return an artefact from Falkovnia at the time of the requiem, and was dismayed to find no way to return home, since that day he has been wandering the western core, seeking for the wisest of men in order to gain knowledge on the shroud and how one day he may return his father to him.

How's that work?

Im rolling up the stats now, shall I post here?

oh and PM on the way to you shortly Tarlyn...:twisted:

Cheers

lostboy
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Spells known: My character is going to be a Monk2/Wiz3. The PHB assumes the Wizard will start off with (3 + Int bonus) L1 spells, then get 2 extra spells of any level each time he levels up. However, the PHB also says he gets to copy any spells he encounters.
Whatever the number of spells you are alllowed by the PHB to know , say 5/4/2/1 make it double that in the spell book. Since you are many spellcasters don'tmetagame but chose different spells so you can exchange spells ;)
Gold pieces value of equipment: I would like to know how many gold pieces we can spend overall.

Question: Should we use the progression table in the DMG page 135, which suggests at L5 we should have 9,000 gp? Or should we just assume we keep our L1 starting gold? Or would you prefer us to use a different formula?Gold pieces value of equipment: I would like to know how many gold pieces we can spend overall.
I Am at work but if you know the page in the DMG that tells you how much a 5th level pc can have accumulated, then feel free to make that your starting gold. Once I have looked at all your knowledges I will let you know if you can have "special" weapons i.e silver/iron etc.

Types of equipment:

This is closely linked with the question about GP value of equipment above. I know Tarlyn specifically said no magical items. I have two questions.

Question: Does that mean my character can't scribe any scrolls? (This depends also on his GP to see how much he can spend.)

Question: Does that mean my character can't own any Alchemical things he's created with his Craft (Alchemy) skill? (This depends on GP too.)

You can scribe scrolls yes ;) For the alchemy I am fine with it as long as it is not something obscure. Use the VRA it is quite good for those things ;)

Edit: Also, are we starting at level four or level five?
5th level.

I am just rereading a few pages once again and reediting my first 2 posts. This will only concern 1 of your p.c's he he(Told you I'd use your backgrounds :P)
If you all know each other it is better for the group as well as the game(DM easier to start heh heh). Chec
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I have added a few spells (two extra L2 spells) to my character's list of known spells. I didn't change his list of L1 spells (he normally gets 9 known, by this point - I wasn't sure if Tarlyn meant for me to multiply that by 2, for a total of 18 known L1 spells).

I also spent some gold on alchemical stuff and on making scrolls.

My character is now more or less ready to go adventuring!

All the changes were made to the preceding post with the character stats.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

HuManBing wrote:I have added a few spells (two extra L2 spells) to my character's list of known spells. I didn't change his list of L1 spells (he normally gets 9 known, by this point - I wasn't sure if Tarlyn meant for me to multiply that by 2, for a total of 18 known L1 spells).

You have 4/3/2 so I will allow you any 0 level , 9 L1 7 L2. Thats basically what I meant. I added 1 to each 2x as much.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

tarlyn wrote:
HuManBing wrote:I have added a few spells (two extra L2 spells) to my character's list of known spells. I didn't change his list of L1 spells (he normally gets 9 known, by this point - I wasn't sure if Tarlyn meant for me to multiply that by 2, for a total of 18 known L1 spells).

You have 4/3/2 so I will allow you any 0 level , 9 L1 7 L2. Thats basically what I meant. I added 1 to each 2x as much.

3 of you will be wizards so even though you only have 9 L1, HB that won't matter as you guys can swap spells ;)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Maybe he's moving in to spread the worship of Ezra to an area that isn't traditionally followers of her? Which also happens to be where the private mage's college is?
Yes that would make sense.

NeoTiamat I am presuming you will be sending me your pc via pm?